No announcement yet.

The Lost Boys (210)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I know that Ford's drugged status leaves him not always thinking clearly, does that necessarily explain his suicidally stupid inability to formulate even the most basic plan?

Sure, he's young, but he must have been a damn competent soldier in order to get sent to Atlantis and as I recall, he's supposed to be some kind of demolitions expert. In my admittedly limited experience, those guys aren't exactly the types to be sloppy about their work.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis1
      I think Sheppard is probably terrified. He did see Col Sumner in Rising. Who would want to go through such a painful, life taking situation. Plus he may be worried they could find out about Atlantis from him.
      He knows exactly what's in store for him, and I think anyone would be terrified about that. Of course, we all know that a miracle save will ensure that our Shep and crew will get back to Atlantis in once piece! Still, it was a scary moment.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
        While I know that Ford's drugged status leaves him not always thinking clearly, does that necessarily explain his suicidally stupid inability to formulate even the most basic plan?

Sure, he's young, but he must have been a damn competent soldier in order to get sent to Atlantis and as I recall, he's supposed to be some kind of demolitions expert. In my admittedly limited experience, those guys aren't exactly the types to be sloppy about their work.
        Perhaps he's a competent soldier but not yet an experienced leader? I don't know how the US military works and I assume that incompetent people wouldn't make it through whatever the Marine officer school is called, so presumably he has some brains. Perhaps wanting to impress by any means necessary is the overriding factor in his warped mindset.

Comment

Originally posted by SnoggingPicard
          He knows exactly what's in store for him, and I think anyone would be terrified about that. Of course, we all know that a miracle save will ensure that our Shep and crew will get back to Atlantis in once piece! Still, it was a scary moment.
          I liked the casual insouciance of his shambling walk up until he reached the centre of the chamber. Poor Shep!

Comment

Originally posted by Vee
            I agree completely. I was intrigued by Ford's new storyline at first. However, adding the other characters on the enzyme has cheapened the arc into nothing more than a blatant sterioid allegory for me. I still can't get over how eagerly his followers wanted to take a drug from some psychotic stranger in a crumby bar. I don't hate or dislike Ford by any stretch of the imagination. I'm merely disappointed in the direction they appear to be taking his character. It feels like such wasted potential.
            Is it just a blatant steroid allegory or is it an allegory about how easily led some people are?

I'd be the first to admit that I think Ford and Co. needs a good kick in the rear end. Frankly speaking, I don't know much about what makes street gangs, suicide bombers or followers of cult personalities tick. But it seems to me that there's some sense that these Lost Boys are not that different. Personally I've never been the least bit interested in gangs... pretty much a loner my whole life. But most people are looking for something to belong to especially if they're at the fringes of society. You and I might think it's pretty dumb that they've mindlessly embraced the enzyme bandwagon but these are people who are, for want of a better word, lost... and Ford has given them something to make them feel a little better about themselves even if just for a while. Who knows, they maybe the forgotten people of the Pegasus galaxy. At least they don't appear to have any attachments or ties. It probably isn't too farfetched to suggest that they are something of a cult and Ford is their cult leader... and he's led them needlessly on a suicide mission. Sound familiar?
            I don't say this to excuse what they did to Sheppard and his team but just to perhaps offer a different persepective on this. Maybe it isn't just about drugs or pubescent silliness but dysfuctional individuals needing some kind of raison de'tre. They are, in crude terms, a gang... and if we think we're going to find logic and good sense here... no wonder we're disappointed.
            sigpic
            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
              Refresh my memory: do they know FOR A FACT that Shep's team is nowhere on the initial planet's surface? I mean, I know Lorne reported in and said there was no sign of them, but did he and his team search the entire planet? That's a lot of ground to cover for one small group. Even if it's a tiny world. Or was there some other evidence that led them to believe that AR-1 had, in fact, been hijacked offworld?

Stripping addresses off a DHD isn't exactly proof of wrongdoing, especially if there's no way to tell when the imprint was made.

For all they know, some of those addys could have been entered hundreds of years ago.

I'm sure we'll find out more about that in the conclusion, I just can't remember why everyone was convinced they weren't on that one planet.

Something tells me that Shep will be the one showing concern in Coup, rather than Weir, but I guess we'll see about that, too.
              Yes, there was proof, Lorne told Weir that their scans of the planet came up empty.. So that does lead to the conclusion that the team must have been captured and taken off world, otherwise they would have checked in first.

But what bothered me was, that they didn't just scan the other 50 planets on their list.. It wouldn't have taken sooo long and if they can scan one planet, why not just do that with the other ones? I was thinking the the scans may only show lifesigns, but can't distinguish between them.
              But in that case, how were they able to just say 'The scans came up empty?' We know that there are other people on the planet the team disappeared on, they were talking about them in the opening scene...

So, something doesn't fit together here..
              *Sig by the wonderful and talented Pegasus_SGA*

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
                Perhaps he's a competent soldier but not yet an experienced leader? I don't know how the US military works and I assume that incompetent people wouldn't make it through whatever the Marine officer school is called, so presumably he has some brains. Perhaps wanting to impress by any means necessary is the overriding factor in his warped mindset.
                If Ford joined the army at 18, and he's 26 now. (They established he was 25 in Childhoods End.) He has eight years experience already.

Comment

Originally posted by Vee
                  I agree completely. I was intrigued by Ford's new storyline at first. However, adding the other characters on the enzyme has cheapened the arc into nothing more than a blatant sterioid allegory for me. I still can't get over how eagerly his followers wanted to take a drug from some psychotic stranger in a crumby bar. I don't hate or dislike Ford by any stretch of the imagination. I'm merely disappointed in the direction they appear to be taking his character. It feels like such wasted potential.
                  Keep in mind that this idea about recruiting an army of enzyme users was Ford's strategy since "Runner." Also, the men he recruited didn't know Ford before the enzyme. Also, even before the enzyme, Ford had a temper and little patience for cautious individuals, "The Eye." Of course at twenty-six, most think they're bullet proof, and that feeling is enhanced with the enzyme.

Comment

Originally posted by caty
                    Yes, there was proof, Lorne told Weir that their scans of the planet came up empty.. So that does lead to the conclusion that the team must have been captured and taken off world, otherwise they would have checked in first.

But what bothered me was, that they didn't just scan the other 50 planets on their list.. It wouldn't have taken sooo long and if they can scan one planet, why not just do that with the other ones? I was thinking the the scans may only show lifesigns, but can't distinguish between them.
                    But in that case, how were they able to just say 'The scans came up empty?' We know that there are other people on the planet the team disappeared on, they were talking about them in the opening scene...

So, something doesn't fit together here..
                    When O'Neill and Maybourne were teleported to that moon, Carter and the team took considerable time scanning the planet, even with UAV's which I've never seen Atlantis use. I don't think it was on the order of months, but I got the impression it was weeks, and that was just one planet. Why didn't anyone think of asking the Athosians about who gave them the "tip?" That would be another avenue to explore.

Comment

Originally posted by mgbland
                      When O'Neill and Maybourne were teleported to that moon, Carter and the team took considerable time scanning the planet, even with UAV's which I've never seen Atlantis use. I don't think it was on the order of months, but I got the impression it was weeks, and that was just one planet. Why didn't anyone think of asking the Athosians about who gave them the "tip?" That would be another avenue to explore.
                      Considering previous Athosian 'tips', I wouldn't be taking them quite so seriously as people who know what's going on.

Comment

Some people have commented how "out of character" Sheppard seemed. Not his usually self, but after reading the mission reports on how hair-trigger Ford had become on the enzyme. He had tried to kill Rodney, and had grasped Beckett by the throat and pinned him to the wall.

Sheppard tried the "play it cool" card. Unfortunately, he didn't have a plan "B" in the case Ford saw through his Atlantis plan. Dylan Hunt would have had a plan "B."

Comment

Originally posted by mgbland
                          Some people have commented how "out of character" Sheppard seemed. Not his usually self, but after reading the mission reports on how hair-trigger Ford had become on the enzyme. He had tried to kill Rodney, and had grasped Beckett by the throat and pinned him to the wall.

Sheppard tried the "play it cool" card. Unfortunately, he didn't have a plan "B" in the case Ford saw through his Atlantis plan. Dylan Hunt would have had a plan "B."
                          Yes, but Dylan's Plan Bs always involve sexy alien woman or shape shifting alien beings. Now, if Shep develops the ability to phase through the floor . . .
                          "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma
                            Yes, but Dylan's Plan Bs always involve sexy alien woman or shape shifting alien beings. Now, if Shep develops the ability to phase through the floor . . .
                            Maybe if Shep trained to be a Jedi warrior, plan B's would be easier...just kidding. But it'd be something to see him with a light saber.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma
                              But Sheppard is kneeling in front of a sexy, beautiful woman. (He forgot to put in his contact lenses this morning.)

You're right about Dylan. It seemed to me that if his first plan didn't work, he'd just bed the woman and lure her into a false sense of security. The whole deal got really boring for me.

I'm glad our Sheppard doesn't do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
                                Considering previous Athosian 'tips', I wouldn't be taking them quite so seriously as people who know what's going on.
                                It's likely that the "tip" was planted by Ford or one of his men to lure AR-1 to the ambush planet.
                                Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Working...
                                X