Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ronon Dex Discussion Thread (possible spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
    Personally, I'd like to see this thread closed. . and started anew when the season gets closer and we have more info and can actually discuss this character. I really would like to take part in a Ronan Dex "discussion" thread. . .but I'm not interested in a Ronan/Ford "comparison" and/or "argument" thread, which this has become.
    If you don't like where this thread is going, rather than ask for it to be closed, just stay out of it.
    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
      If you don't like where this thread is going, rather than ask for it to be closed, just stay out of it.
      I rest my case.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I think the same respect being given to the threads about a character that is NO longer a regular cast member, should also be afforded to a new cast member. Should we remove the Ben Browder or Claudia Black thread also? Did you post the same message there?

I wish nothing but good things for Rainbow, and I'm hoping TPTB give him some decent material to work with this season, but something had to have been wrong, if they are bringing in another member and reducing Ford's role. Yes, we are hoping it's temporary, but there is NO need to blast the new character. It's not his fault, nor is it's Rainbow's. If you want to blast anyone, blast TPTB.

And once again, that's just my opinion. You don't want to discuss the new character or the actor who plays him, then just don't post here.
        On fighting:
        Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
        Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
          I think the same respect being given to the threads about a character that is NO longer a regular cast member, should also be afforded to a new cast member. Should we remove the Ben Browder or Claudia Black thread also? Did you post the same message there?
          If this is directed towards me, then you misunderstood my other posts. I am looking forward to Dex, AND I enjoy Ford. I would prefer Ford remain a reg, but that is out of my hands, therefore, I will wait and see what TPTB intend to do with him.

This thread is to discuss DEX. . .NOT Ford. There are numerous Ford threads already here. However, a majority of posts are tearing apart Dex, a character we don't even know, and harping about how Dex is getting words, opportunities that should be afforded Ford. Ford fans are attacking Dex fans, and vice-versa. I WANT TO LIKE BOTH CHARACTERS. I did not officially ask a mod to close this thread. I simply stated since this thread has gone off topic, it would be nice to start a clean thread when we know more about Dex. . so we don't have to wade through all the previous pages of garbage in this thread.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
            If this is directed towards me, then you misunderstood my other posts. I am looking forward to Dex, AND I enjoy Ford. I would prefer Ford remain a reg, but that is out of my hands, therefore, I will wait and see what TPTB intend to do with him.

This thread is to discuss DEX. . .NOT Ford. There are numerous Ford threads already here. However, a majority of posts are tearing apart Dex, a character we don't even know, and harping about how Dex is getting words, opportunities that should be afforded Ford. Ford fans are attacking Dex fans, and vice-versa. I WANT TO LIKE BOTH CHARACTERS. I did not officially ask a mod to close this thread. I simply stated since this thread has gone off topic, it would be nice to start a clean thread when we know more about Dex. . so we don't have to wade through all the previous pages of garbage in this thread.
            I did not quote you and NO, my post was NOT directed at you. It wasn't directed at anyone. I was just trying to make a point. Obviously, it wasn't made.
            On fighting:

Comment

TO Foolish Pleasure:

If you are so concerned about threads going off topic, there are MANY of them that need "cleaning up". Why this one, in particular? If I may ask?
              On fighting:

Comment

The thread starter did not say "this thread is for positive comments, only!" nor was it implied that debate was not allowed. Now, if this was a Dex Thunk thread, or if people were posting slurs against the actor/characer, I could see being upset, but it's just a discussion thread and we are all here discussing things.

Veering back on track... I'm still going to give Dex/Jason a fair shot. I know all too well how disturbing some of the more... ardent fans of a character can be when that character is removed- whatever the reason. I don't want to be one of those people. I don't want to vivisect someone sight unseen and I don't want wish violence upon someone for events beyond his control.

I'm going to try and keep an open mind, but until I have some actual, concrete information on him and until I see him for myself, it's a bit hard to say definitively that the character is going to be awesome. If he is, I'll be happy to say so. If he isn't, I'll find a place to express my comments so that they won't interfere with the "rules" here.
                Last edited by ShadowMaat; 28 May 2005, 06:59 PM. Reason: snipping out off topic-y bits

Comment

There seem to be a few complaints that this thread isn't on topic enough, but since I haven't seen any actual suggestions or attempts to MAKE it more on topic, I'll throw out some ideas:

Dex is from Atteria. Any ideas on what that world might be like, to produce a character such as Ronan? Or is he more a product of his environment, gaining personality as he's chased across myriad worlds?

What sort of traits, exactly, do you think he has? I've heard he has fight-smarts and vague "special abilities" when it comes to the Wraith. How do you think they'll make his "abilities" different from those Teyla has been exhibiting. And speaking of Teyla...

Gift
                  Spoiler:
                  Do you think that whatever his abilities are, he's come about them naturally, or was there some genetic tampering in his genetic line? Was it just his family or his entire planet/village/whatever?

What DON'T you want to see in Dex? There are suspicions he might wind up like Ford, Teyla, Teal'c and/or Aris Boch- how do you think the writers might avoid "copying" any of those characters (or others we've met)? What do you think can be done to make Dex unique?

What, in general, do you want to see in the character?
                  Last edited by ShadowMaat; 28 May 2005, 07:00 PM. Reason: whoops, missed a close tag

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    What, in general, do you want to see in the character?
                    His body.

Honestly, other than that, I'm just going to wait and see. Atlantis already has so many personalities, I'm not sure what Dex can bring to the mix. Although, I'm not feeling incredibly imaginative right now, so that may be the problem.
                    Earth...steaks. There's a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by skye1974
                      His body.
                      LOL! you and fordfan25 should form a "we love Dex's body" thread/support group!
                      Co-Prez F.O.R.D.
                      Fiend Queen Extraordinaire!!!
                      My life is weird. Read my Fiendish blog

Comment

Originally posted by DENIAL-of-Life
                        I'd have to re-read the spoilders for runner but I remember vaguely. I personally think Lt. Ford needs more acting lessions, his on stage is slowly getting better each time but still is a bit lack luster of a movie vet. I like to see a more action packed year, more intense fighting and more character developments instead of a bit here and a bit there. If ford happened to leave now I wound not be too pissy, if he was replaced by a better actor.
                        I would like to point something out before I cheer my head off for RSF: The fact that he doesn't have much screen time doesn't really have anything to do with his acting skills--it was the decision of TPTB to not do AS much with him as they did with the others, but honestly, they had so many other main characters to deal with and "develop" that it's almost understandable. So with what he was given, he did a wonderfuly awesome job and hopefully he'll be back in Season Three as a regular again after he's gone through the whole "character developing" ordeal TPTB have in store for him in Season Two......

Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                        yeah... I'm taking lessons. WHAT?
                        Hip-hip, HOORAY for RSF! we love you always and more and more all the time. Built F.O.R.D. Tough! right RSF?
                        Last edited by IrisAnedi; 27 May 2005, 12:26 PM.

Because I don't have the heart to take the link down.

Comment

[mod snip for Off Topic]

I'd like to start a discussion about Ronon Dex. His character, a native to the Pegasus Galaxy, has been hunted by the Wraith for 7 years, until his capture, and the eventual implantation of a tracking device. He was later released by the Wraith, who deem some "captives" worthy of being "runners"......which is the title of the third episode of the SGA 2nd season. It is in this episode that Dex makes his first appearance and Ford disappears. Dex continues to evade capture, which makes him a highly sought after prize, by the Wraith. His character is being described by some as "brutually honest", making for some very interesting dialogue.

I hope TPTB keep him a bit on the wild, untamed side, as this could prove a very interesting counter point to the more laid back Sheppard. I think SGA needs a character that is not always willing to follow the chain of command, despite his being a "soldier". I'm hoping the background story of 7 years of "running" and self preservation, will impart a solid feeling of individualism to the character of Dex. I'm also hoping that his years of experience of evading the Wraith will prove valuable to the rest of the Atlantis team.

Just my thoughts...it's hard finding good spoilers. But I'm trying to keep this thread firmly on track! And we'll soon know more, as the SciFi channel is promising more info on it's SG Mondays and I'm certain more spoilers will be leaked by TPTB, to peak interest in the show and the new characters.

I welcome any discussion about Ronon Dex and his probable future interactions with other cast members, etc. Or anything else you'd like to discuss about him.

To everyone in the US, have a great holiday. To everyone else, have a great weekend!
                          Last edited by Madeleine; 27 May 2005, 08:47 PM.
                          On fighting:

Comment

[mod snip for off topic]

How to make Dex unique? Well, first off, maybe someone should go and ask 2BAM what Dex's fighting style will be like (assuming someone hasn't done so already) and ask for clarification on how his style will differ from, say, Teyla's. I would assume that TPTB (or at the very least BamBam) would go to great lengths to make sure the two have very different fighting styles.

Second, there has to be something to set Dex apart from the others. Simply being an alien isn't enough. Even being a Wraith target isn't really enough. Maybe he'll be good at setting booby traps and/or MacGyvering weapons out of random objects. That might be interesting to see.

As I said before, having a sense of humor isn't really what I'd call a character trait and no matter WHAT his sense of humor is like, it isn't likely to be unique or very original. The "brutal honesty" thing could work... or it could fall flat. There are ways in which it could be interesting... and ways that could make it a lame joke. Hopefully, the writers will choose to make use of it as more than a cheap laugh.
                            Last edited by Madeleine; 27 May 2005, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                              I posted something absolutely, 100% on topic; something which SHOULD HAVE generated lots of interesting ON TOPIC discussion, but it has mostly been ignored in favor of people continuing to whine about the thread being off topic. If your big complaint is that no one is discussing Dex on the Dex thread, then maybe you should try discussing Dex, yourselves.

How to make Dex unique? Well, first off, maybe someone should go and ask 2BAM what Dex's fighting style will be like (assuming someone hasn't done so already) and ask for clarification on how his style will differ from, say, Teyla's. I would assume that TPTB (or at the very least BamBam) would go to great lengths to make sure the two have very different fighting styles.

Second, there has to be something to set Dex apart from the others. Simply being an alien isn't enough. Even being a Wraith target isn't really enough. Maybe he'll be good at setting booby traps and/or MacGyvering weapons out of random objects. That might be interesting to see.

As I said before, having a sense of humor isn't really what I'd call a character trait and no matter WHAT his sense of humor is like, it isn't likely to be unique or very original. The "brutal honesty" thing could work... or it could fall flat. There are ways in which it could be interesting... and ways that could make it a lame joke. Hopefully, the writers will choose to make use of it as more than a cheap laugh.

Now. Does anyone have anything ON TOPIC to say, or do you want to go back to carping about how off topic this place is?
                              i think it will be interesting to see how they try to make him unique because, as i think you or someone else might have mentioned, some of the characteristics that are being attributed to him do sound like bits and pieces of other character personalities. sometimes it seems to me that SG writers tend to recycle personalities. i'm not saying that it will necessarily happen in this case, but there is definitely a chance.
                              Co-Prez F.O.R.D.
                              Fiend Queen Extraordinaire!!!
                              My life is weird. Read my Fiendish blog

Comment

Pictures of Ronon Dex.

A lot of pixels so watchout dialup people...

http://sg-atlantis.emedian.net/image...season2/images

http://sg-atlantis.emedian.net/image...season2/images

http://sg-atlantis.emedian.net/image...2_0017JPRF.jpg

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X