Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ronon Dex Discussion Thread (possible spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shockwave
    You forget that Dex has been on the run for six or seven years
    . . which means Sheppard isn't responsible for his "situation".

Another interesting tidbit. .apparently Jason is quite adept with a skateboard around the set, like someone ELSE we know.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

The guns look very much like the genii maybe they traded with each other.
      "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

ok i just saw a picture that i am more than upset about, Teyla being choked out by Ronan. I gotta say this is getting stupid why have this fool on a team if he, in hand to hand can beat Teyla, is a overall weapons master, hell make the fool a one man army and call it the Dex Show. At first i was thinking this may turn out ok I liked Jonus but they go from not putting awhole lot of time into Ford to devoting tons to this fool. annoying....i will wait and se though because i might be suprised but im not getting my hopes up.
        The enemy has spoken

Comment

Originally posted by Enemyone
          ok i just saw a picture that i am more than upset about, Teyla being choked out by Ronan. I gotta say this is getting stupid why have this fool on a team if he, in hand to hand can beat Teyla, is a overall weapons master, hell make the fool a one man army and call it the Dex Show. At first i was thinking this may turn out ok I liked Jonus but they go from not putting awhole lot of time into Ford to devoting tons to this fool. annoying....i will wait and se though because i might be suprised but im not getting my hopes up.
          Ronon has been fighting for REAL for several years. Teyla has been "training". Big difference, and that's why he can beat her. I think those two have a lot they can teach each other and I'm looking forward to the interaction.

Comment

I gotta say this is getting stupid why have this fool on a team if he, in hand to hand can beat Teyla, is a overall weapons master, hell make the fool a one man army and call it the Dex Show
            But sometimes you can't win through military might. For all his strenght and skill Dex can't defeat the wraith on his own he needs the the Atlantis team, probably more than they need him but I doubt he would admit it.
            sigpic

Comment

There was quite an interesting bit about Jason in Tv tome in the SGA interview/article. Only a very small amount of the piece was on him but he sounds great; there was Martin Wodd describing how Jason had a bad knee(s) but still insisted he'd be fine for a shot running through the woods and they had to go fast to keep up with him!

Comment

Is this the pic you were referring to? If so, you will please note, that Dex and Teyla are not alone in the room, the room used for "stick" fighting practice, and we do not know the sequence of events that lead up to the freeze frame. As FoolishPleasure has already stated, Dex has been fighting the Wraith for real, for the past 7 years, and his experience should be invaluable. He was probably working with Teyla, to help her improve her technique, for actual, not "exhibition" fighting. As the shot is from rather early in the season (remember RD is not introduced until Epi 3, I believe), perhaps Dex has not gotten over his habit of fighting to the death (remember his survival depended on it) and he may have gotten carried away or he may have been making a point. I'd hardly call a seasoned and proven warrior a "fool".

It would appear from your post, you have already determined not to like this new character, your remark about Ford was very telling. However, Ford is being given a difficult, pivotal role in season 2, one in which his entire character has been changed and I believe this is a great chance for Mr. Francks to show his ability as an actor. He was not replaced by Mr. Momoa, his character is simply being taken down a new, dangerous path. I do not believe TPTB had any intention of making Dex a one man army, and the other characters have many episodes in which they are the focus of attention, including Ford.

Just my opinion, as always.....

Comment

Just thought I'd post some interesting facts about Jason Momoa. SciFi has started to update their Atlantis site and now has info on Mr. Momoa and his character Dex Ronan. I won't reiterate what has already been stated here, but Jason is not only an actor, but also an artist and a writer. He moved to Australia in 2003, with his lady love, a move which "inspired Momoa to pursue and develop his interest as an artist".

I'd love to see some of his work and I wonder if being based out of Vancouver now, will affect his work?

I've been looking forward to seeing this new character for several months now. The promos have been every intriguing and I'm wondering about the interactions betwen him and the other characters, in particular, Rodney and Shep. Should prove very interesting.
                  On fighting:
                  Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                  Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G
                    Since when was Vancouver a football/soccer hotbed?
                    So sorry Matt, I meant it to read hockey, not soccer, although Mr. Momoa does enjoy soccer also. Sorry, mistyped.

And as the the Stargate team loves hockey, (although a few do not excel at it), he will fit right in!

Comment

Only 13 days left until the debut of the new season of SGA! And not long after, the debut of the newest member of the SGA team, Ronan Dex. I'm certain he will be a great addtiton, with his maturity, intelligence and years of experience dealing with the Wraith. After hearing Mr. Momoa speak, I have a feeling a new "hunk" will be born.

He is a wonderful actor and TPTB seem to realize this and it appears the esesence of his character will be developed early on. At least I hope so. We have all seen what happens when cast members do not have their characters fully developed or utilized, for whatever reason.

Here's to a successful launch of SGA, season 2 and a special "good luck" to Jason Momoa/Dex Ronan!

Comment

Atteria...glad to hear that you are as excited to see Mr. Momoa on Atlantis as much as his long time fans. He will not be a disapointment. As I have said before, he will be such a presense on the screen. He is a man of many talents, and he will bring much to Atlantis. We can not wait for the season 2 to start and cheer on our guy..we only hope that if other Atlantis fans don't grow to love him, at least they will respect his talent, and not see him as just a beautiful man, but also a beautiful soul and great actor.

His fiance Simmone Jade Mackinnon is also an actor and is on a tv show on the WE network, McLeod's Daughters...sorry if I did not spell that one right. Haven't seen the show but have seen her numerous movies...she's a great gal!
                        Purple's Biggest Fan
                        A Purple Creation

Atlantis Dex Style

Dex Devil

Comment

I'm sorta ambivalent on the Dex character only because he's following the triedand true formula of alien warrior with checkered past type history (aka Teal'c, etc.). I've never seen the actor, even though I do recall Baywatch, but I think he did the season that stunk so badly I didn't watch more than 2 episodes (bad writing, horrid writing).

I'm ignoring the drivel that the publicity people put out - it is the same stuff that has been going around for decades (like telling you the character is 'fresh, exciting, etc.' (same terms they use for laundry detergent mostly ). So I'm waiting to see if the character is actually workable and isn't given too much limelight (thiking and shuddering of how Klingons and Jaffa have taken over plotlines)

Comment

As it stands, Dex is a rather wearying stereotype. Not the Jason's fault, necessarily, but if the writers stay true to form then there won't be much he can do to break out of it- not even with gobs of talent and a beautiful soul.

Comment

I've seen one pic where Dex has apparently flattened Teyla. Anyone who can knock her out of the way has me as a fan.

Comment

I have to agree with you there FoolishPleasure.

As for the many people who are putting down the character of Ronan Dex, all I can say is, why don't you wait until you at least see him, in one episode, before you condemn him as a "stereotypical warrior type with a checkered past"? Sorry, but something other than the introduction of this character is causing all these negative threads to be started and all the negative comments to be voiced. I'm not getting into my own theory of what the something is, nor will I make any more comments about about the character of Dex or the actor, Jason Momoa, who will be portraying him. I'll wait until I've seen him in at least several episodes, before making a final decision. I know many didn't like the character of Rodney McKay, but have since come, if not to love him (although many have), but appreciate the complexity that his character his achieving. It takes time for writers to have their characters mature and grow, hopefully, we will continue to see such growth on SGA. If not, then the series will probably not achieve the success that it's predecessor did. Or maybe it will, what do I know?
                                Last edited by Lida; 12 July 2005, 07:17 AM.
                                On fighting:
                                Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                                Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Working...
                                X