Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ronon Dex Discussion Thread (possible spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone else had mentioned, either in this thread or another one, that maybe Ronon had a protein marker, like the one in Posioning the Well episode. If it is that could be the reason they would want to hunt him, since they couldn't feed on him.

This is only my opinion.

Comment

That was me
      Heres the quote
      Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith
      I was watching the "Poisoning the the Well" on DVD yesterday and when they mentioned that certain VERY RARE people are immune to the wraith ie. the wraith cannot feed on them(but the wraith aren't hurt when they feed on them either, it was the synthetic protein that acted as a poison).

Anyway I realised there must by a reason that the wraith released Ronnan Dex as a "Runner" and it hit it me if the wraith couldn't feed on him they would find some other use for him, sport

The wraith aren't ones to waste food and hunting those who are immune to them seems right up their alley
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks, I knew I had read it someplace but didn't want to do a search, for I was in a hurry. I happen to agree with that.

Comment

OK just watched the season 2 Atlantis trailer and Dex just looked cool. I'm now really pysched to see him in season 2

So now we know something about Dex he uses a sword and carries a big gun

P.S. I'd post some caps but I can't get it to work so heres a link to a post in the trailer thread
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            So he's just a generic soldierboy? *sigh* I sincerely hope they find an interesting twist to it because that alone isn't enough to set him apart.
            I agree .. I'm still debateable on the Runner Character but did promise Martin I'd give him a solid chance before judging but I'm hoping he is more than just resident soldierboy whose purpose solely is delivering barbs opposite Sheppard and stick fighting opposite Teyla or disrespecting everyone ..
            Right now I think the dynamics between McKay and Sheppard is unique and original and do not want to see DEx as the go between ...

Pam

Comment

Originally posted by John&Teylaalltheway
              I agree .. I'm still debateable on the Runner Character but did promise Martin I'd give him a solid chance before judging but I'm hoping he is more than just resident soldierboy whose purpose solely is delivering barbs opposite Sheppard and stick fighting opposite Teyla or disrespecting everyone ..
              Right now I think the dynamics between McKay and Sheppard is unique and original and do not want to see DEx as the go between ...

Pam
              I don't see how the dynamics of Shep and McKay, which are great, btw, will be affected by the introduction of a new character, especially one who is "reluctant" to even join the Atlantis team, let alone become "chums". I get the feeling Ronan Dex is going to be an individual, who will frequently disregards the chain of command, as 7 years of being on your own, tends to make one a bit of a loner and very self reliant.

So far, I've enjoyed watching SGA, and I feel the storylines and the character development, for the most part, has been getting stronger. I'll wait until episode 3, when Dex is introduced, before I make pro or con remarks about him. His character will either mesh with the rest of the team or it won't. It's a calculated risk on the part of management, but it appears they feel it was a necessary move. Only time will prove them right or wrong.

Comment

On the military thing, it looks like Dex could have come from a fairly advanced society, from the glimpse the recent trailer showed of him pointing his hand cannon (demonstrating its effects for Sheppard?).

He also apparently weilds some sort of sword.

a time to mourn

Comment

For those wanting to know there is a Ronon Dex/Jason Momoa Thunk Thread.

Comment

I haven't read thru all these pages yet, and have been avoiding to do so, mostly not to spoil myself from the actual eps, but...

based on Sci-Fi's Season 2 preview commercials, Ronon Dex reminds me of Tyr from TV's "Andromeda" series... long hair with dreadlocks... mustache and beard... leather clothing outfits...

Different characters for sure with different purposes, but that's the look that he reminds me of. Dark, brooding, menacing appearance, if the mood strikes him... that sort.

Comment

Now I have so many expectations that I know will be bashed to shreds come the end of "Runner." (Bantha fodder!)

Based on all the spoilers and our opinions/presumoptions I can definately picture him being at odds with McKay, Ford (more likely than not...hrm...ideas popping into my head), and maybe Wier or Teyla
                      "I'm PMSing and I have a zat....were you're going to say something?"
                      Official F.O.R.D. Website

Second Star to the Right

One of the top ways to know you're in college: Two hours of sleep is considered lucky!
                      (That's also one of the top ways to know you work with McKay.)

Comment

Originally posted by Pelian
                        Now I have so many expectations that I know will be bashed to shreds come the end of "Runner." (Bantha fodder!)

Based on all the spoilers and our opinions/presumoptions I can definately picture him being at odds with McKay, Ford (more likely than not...hrm...ideas popping into my head), and maybe Wier or Teyla
                        He probably will be at odds with everyone in the beginning but he will earn their respect, IMHO.

Comment

I am concerned that this character is going to diffuse the development of that other characters. I am having a hard time understanding why he is being added to the team when there are so many other season one characters that could have been developed more, like Ford and Teyla. Sheppard and Ford provided the action. Teyla is the resident alien expert and McKay is the genius, albeit annoying support. How does this new guy fit in? I would see him fitting more easily in a role like Brataq or Jacob. Not as a member of the team.

It makes me think TPTB didnt have the confidence or desire to develop Ford and Teyla's characters.

"Don't be shy about reminding Thor we saved his little gray butt on more than one occasion."

Comment

Originally posted by Mindgame
                            I am concerned that this character is going to diffuse the development of that other characters. I am having a hard time understanding why he is being added to the team when there are so many other season one characters that could have been developed more, like Ford and Teyla. Sheppard and Ford provided the action. Teyla is the resident alien expert and McKay is the genius, albeit annoying support. How does this new guy fit in? I would see him fitting more easily in a role like Brataq or Jacob. Not as a member of the team.

It makes me think TPTB didnt have the confidence or desire to develop Ford and Teyla's characters.

"Don't be shy about reminding Thor we saved his little gray butt on more than one occasion."
                            TPTB had their own reasons for reducing the current role of Rainbow Francks/Ford, from regular cast member to recurring guest. I would hope they are going to use his 4 appearances to make him into a 3 dimensional character. In season 1, he spent most of his time throwing out one liners to McKay or following Shep around. He was given the least attention by the writers, IMO, of all the cast. Teyla's character does need more development, but we have seen her in different situations and at least know her background.

The new guy, Ronan Dex, will probably fit in as the exact opposite of Ford's character. He will not readily agree to everything, he will not follow the chain of command, and I'm sure he will butt heads with Shep. As for his interactions with other members of the cast, they will probably be very strained, as he was reluctant to go to Atlantis. However, as he has skillfully evaded the Wraith for 7 years, and with Ford "missing", for most of the season, I believe it was felt he would be an asset in fighting the wraith and probably also as eye candy. I hate the last part.

SGA has only been on for 20 episodes and I think they have done a pretty good job of developing the cast and allowing chemistry to develop between cast members on screen (prob. off too). Atlantis isn't about individuals only, it's about exploration and survival....and you need solid stories to delve into these issues. Let's give TPTB a second season, and see where they take us.

Comment

Watching Atlantis season 1 again I can see why TPTB are introducing Dex. The other characters were VERY patronising to Ford, most of them were at least 10 years older and outranked him.

Ford's opininons were easily ignored by the rest of the crew, with Dex they want to create a character who will force the crew to take him seriously

And on a sidenote by sending Ford off on his own storyline he has a chance to grow in experience and have the others treat him as an equal.
                              sigpic

Comment

Has it been mentioned/discussed what sword style Ronon Dex will be using?

From the previews it looked like he was using a type of broadsword, so I would guess it would be European.

Although the LotR movies blended European and Japanese sword styles very well, I'm not sure Dex is that smooth. Maybe more like a Viking?

Comment

Working...
                                X