Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ronon Dex Discussion Thread (possible spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Seven
    Has it been mentioned/discussed what sword style Ronon Dex will be using?

From the previews it looked like he was using a type of broadsword, so I would guess it would be European.

Although the LotR movies blended European and Japanese sword styles very well, I'm not sure Dex is that smooth. Maybe more like a Viking?
    No it hasn't been mention. As for the type of sword, I couldn't you because the teaser off the internet was to dark for my taste.

Comment

I hope you guys know your swords. I hope you realise that the swords the knights used is actually an "arming sword" while a broadsword in a basket-hilted broad bladed relative of the rapier made famous by the scots.

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"
      - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC-65AD)

Why it's a "magazine" and not a "clip".

Comment

Ok, don't all jump on me at once. I am watching season one of Atlantis to try and catch up on the story. Season 2 is what I am waiting for. As a fan of Momoa since the Baywatch years, yes I watched Baywatch, North Shore and all the movies he has appeard in. He may not have been in great shows, but I promise you this, he is great to watch on the screen, he has such a presents on screen, makes each roll his own. I think most of you will enjoy his roll on Atlantis. He is not just eye candy, although he is great to look at, and the dreds, he pulls it off, not everyone can. I am not yet, a fan such as most of you are of SG and Atlantis, but Momoa is why I am going to watch, as well as alot of others. I have grown to like several people on Atlantis. I understand people getting upset with all the changes of their show, I would be upset too if I enjoyed a character that got changed or taken away. I won't go into all of them because I really don't know them well yet. I've been reading through the threads and won't blast anyone here, everyone is allowed to have their own thoughts, feelings etc. But...keep an open mind and you will be pleased with Momoa joining Atlantis. There are alot of comments made that I could respond to, but I don't want to step on toes..or start a war, yet.. . I thought I should be nice my first time posting I look forward to chatting with everyone, and then we'll see after Momoa's entrance into Atlantis, then the gloves come off. LOL Have a great day to all. We will talk again.
        Purple's Biggest Fan
        A Purple Creation

Atlantis Dex Style

Dex Devil

Comment

I just have to say i feckin hate the idea of ford being replaced, I relly liked that character and now that he's going im gutted. I dont mean any disrespect to the new character but i feel im not going to like him from the outset just because he relaced ford.

Comment

This isn't just for Seven, this is for anyone that's curious that doesn't have the martial arts background. I've deduced this from the Bambam thread, so I might be wrong, but I doubt it. Dex is going to fight like a samurai.
            Here's how I know . . .
            It's already been said that they don't want to show long drawn out combat sequences because fights are short and decisive. Samurai duels were brief, either both warriors got a swing in or only one warrior got a swing in, either way, one cut=one kill
            They're using kendo. Kendo sword work and footwork does not translate to a sword that is not a katana, bottom line it doesn't work with a european style sword. And the footwork really doesn't mesh.
            So yeah, samurai. Not sure what school of katana work, but I doubt it'll be one of the more esoteric ones, one sword, maybe one handed, probably two, but we'll see. I might be wrong,
            "When I started school it was considered a miracle for an ass to talk, now I'm not so sure." ~Anonymous

"I do not agree with what you say, but I defend to my death your right to say it." ~Voltaire

"Like Broadway, the novel, and God, feminism has been declared dead many times" ~Katha Pollit

"I'm a feminist and I don't care who knows it." ~Me

Comment

I don't know about him being a kenjutsu or iado user, but I guess we'll have to see. I think they practice with kendo sticks, so they don't injure their partners, similar to how the Athosians do it with those cali sticks.

Mamoa is pretty athletic though so it's possible. It would be cool though given that I haven't seen many asian people in Pegasus, perhaps there are some and they are spreading a style similar to kenjutsu around.

I'm not an expert when it comes to martial arts, I can kind of tell what style someone is using, but not with any kind of confidence.

I'm pretty much looking for anything cool to latch onto this character, perhaps it will make the Ford exodus easier on me. Great character.

Comment

Unamed, if it makes you feel any better, they're not really getting rid of Ford. If anything, they're actually expanding more on the character and taking him in a new direction so that he can grow and thrive on his own. And if it helps, Rainbow-Sun Francks heartily approves of the direction his character is going.
                Last edited by Avatar28; 13 June 2005, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Rainbow-Sun Frakes
                  M8, this ain't Star Trek TNG.

heartily approves of the direction his character is going.
                  I'm sure he does as will the fans, However even if he didn't, then there's not a whole lot that he could do about it. Other than to go along with what's put out for him by the writers.

Comment

i haven't read this thread, but i have to say that i'm looking forward to getting to know Ronan
                    Save us from danger, save us from evil
                    Servatis a periculum, Servatis a maleficum

Comment

Saw the new teaser during Stargate Mondays and Ronon looked like he was mad at someone or the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Seven
                        I don't know about him being a kenjutsu or iado user, but I guess we'll have to see. I think they practice with kendo sticks, so they don't injure their partners, similar to how the Athosians do it with those cali sticks.

Mamoa is pretty athletic though so it's possible. It would be cool though given that I haven't seen many asian people in Pegasus, perhaps there are some and they are spreading a style similar to kenjutsu around.

I'm not an expert when it comes to martial arts, I can kind of tell what style someone is using, but not with any kind of confidence.

I'm pretty much looking for anything cool to latch onto this character, perhaps it will make the Ford exodus easier on me. Great character.
                        This needs to be corrected MOMOA not mamoa.
                        2nd The Asian reference??? Jason is 1/2 Hawaiian, the other 1/2 is a mix of German & Irish.

Comment

Originally posted by wizzy502
                          This needs to be corrected MOMOA not mamoa.
                          2nd The Asian reference??? Jason is 1/2 Hawaiian, the other 1/2 is a mix of German & Irish.
                          Thank you for the corrections. Let's get everything straight, or at least his vitals.
                          Name: Jason Momoa
                          Born: 1979, in Honolulu, Hawaii
                          Height: 6'5" (tall!)
                          Hair: Dark brown
                          Eyes: Green
                          Ancestry: 1/2 Hawaiian, 1/2 German/Irish mix (Caucasian)
                          Raised: in Iowa
                          Interests (sports): Rock climbing (should fit right in with Joe Flanigan)
                          Hockey (should fit right in Vancouver )

OK, now anyone else want to add information, please do. We have 31 days to go for the start of Season 2, but the Ronan Dex character will make his initial appearance in episode 3, The Runner.
                          Last edited by Atteria; 01 July 2005, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atteria
                            Interests (sports):
                            Soccer (should right in in Vancouver )
                            Since when was Vancouver a football/soccer hotbed?
                            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Some new shots of Dex got me thinking

In this shot we see the Culling of Dex's world which is suprisingly advanced looking.
                              How will this affect the character?
                              up until now most people assumed Dex came from an unadvanced world like the Athosians because of his "scruffy" appearance

If his world was as Advanced as it seems from the shot it looks like the culling certainly involved at least one Hiveship so if a Hiveship culled his world then the Atlantis team are indirectly responsible for what happened to him. Hmmm... should definitly lead to some character conflict espcially with sheppard
                              sigpic

Comment

You forget that Dex has been on the run for six or seven years

Comment

Working...
                                X