Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
    I enjoyed what I saw of the TV show (I had to watch it on Hulu and eventually I couldn't find time to watch it). I read the first book but I found the writing a little--pedantic. Lots of simple sentences.

I'm not sure if I'm going to read the rest of the stories--I'd probably have to buy them used.

American football IS the real football. All that other stuff's just soccer. *J/K*

Yes, get vaccinated! I'm still trying to work out whether my Exercised-induced/Allergy-induced asthma is enough to warrant flu shots. It's not chronic asthma in the sense that I need a rescue inhaler, but if I get sick, it's very taxing on my lungs. I've had a flu-like illness before (2 weeks out of work!) and I don't want it again...but I don't like to take vaccines away from people who REALLY need them. I have insurance, access to good doctors and (hopefully) loving parents who would nurse me if I was ill.
    I was bored (and I finished "Shinning") so I stole the books from my friend.lol At the beginning, it was hard to find the story interesting. It's pretty simple but the ideas are good. Now I have to read 7 books of 700 pages to know the end.lol I don't count the last three books because my friend doesn't have them.

I feel obligated to react. The "real" football is european football. In the word "football", there is the word "foot".Lol

And it's strange to see the difference between each country about vaccination. In France, many people do not want to be vaccinated.
    sigpic
    Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      I feel the same way. I don't have any health problems and don't get out in crowds a lot so I'm taking my chances. I've heard about serious complications from flu shots and they scare me. I think the panic is a bit unwarranted. Everything seems to be a crisis these days.

And on LOTS. Watched it. Loved it. They are a bit Sparkyesque and just cute as buttons. I also love Zed but not that way. Ewww. I read the first book and liked it but the show is all over the place canon wise. My husband read all of them and he says the show jumps around, leaves out whole arcs and changes pretty much everything. But he likes it too.
      The sister of my friend Charline has the swine flu and she's jumping everywhere. A school next my house was close because all the children had the flu. I think like you SR. I will take the risk.

And for the show, I also heard that they don't respect the books. For example, the father of Richard is dead in the book but not in the show.
      Maybe I will try to watch it.

Edit: And a little vid about our ship: Gravity
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
        I was bored (and I finished "Shinning") so I stole the books from my friend.lol At the beginning, it was hard to find the story interesting. It's pretty simple but the ideas are good. Now I have to read 7 books of 700 pages to know the end.lol I don't count the last three books because my friend doesn't have them.

I feel obligated to react. The "real" football is european football. In the word "football", there is the word "foot".Lol

And it's strange to see the difference between each country about vaccination. In France, many people do not want to be vaccinated.
        Now you shouldn't outta have gone there. I will forgive you this one time, but be forewarned, I shall not take such commentary lightly again. >8DD

John agrees with me and now he refuses to share his football popcorn with you:

Fantasy writing is very iffy for me. I admire the imagination, but I guess I am what could only be described as a snob. Its gotta be really good to keep me into the story.

I'm harsher on published stuff, too, because those people went through tons of edits/re-writes, etc to get their stuff published. And then I read some fanfiction which is 10 times better in a one-shot than published stuff that's been super edited, and I'm like 'how are YOU making money and this gifted, talented other writer is not?' @___@
        Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Now you shouldn't outta have gone there. I will forgive you this one time, but be forewarned, I shall not take such commentary lightly again. >8DD

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...ll/103x267.jpg

Fantasy writing is very iffy for me. I admire the imagination, but I guess I am what could only be described as a snob. Its gotta be really good to keep me into the story.

I'm harsher on published stuff, too, because those people went through tons of edits/re-writes, etc to get their stuff published. And then I read some fanfiction which is 10 times better in a one-shot than published stuff that's been super edited, and I'm like 'how are YOU making money and this gifted, talented other writer is not?' @___@
          note to self: don't ask eri to read my nanowrimo story! (actually, i probably should, so it doesn't end up totally sucking! lol)

So...I've finished s2...and I have lots of thoughts about lots of things...
          here's one....TLG - (and this is more reaction to tptb and the whole 'there's no ship' attitude) IF there was no ship, it would have made more sense for Pheobus to try to convince someone like say, Rodney or Carson, to take on Thalen's consciousness since she's trying to kill them...IF there's no ship, John's the last guy she'd want because he's a trained soldier....IF there's no ship she's be able to pretend Thalen's her hubby with any one of the guys and it wouldn't have mattered...BUT she feels what Liz feels and runs with it....yeah, there's no ship there...sure...whatever (sorry, i'm babbling...I tend to do that....)
          My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
          sigpic

Comment

Mwahaha....let me laugh. I don't want to start a new war Football vs American "football" but I keep saying european football is the real one.
            American football is more like rugby (maybe with a little of OUR football).
            John can keep his popcorn because I don't want to watch "Rugby" with him.

So now, I can say "adieu. It was a pleasure to meet you" because I'm sure everybody here hates me now.
            sigpic

Comment

Actually daughter, the European sport that you refer to as "football" is actually called soccer. Maybe because you sock the ball with your head. In football you get a penalty for that. LOL

The sister of my friend Charline has the swine flu and she's jumping everywhere. A school next my house was close because all the children had the flu. I think like you SR. I will take the risk.

And for the show, I also heard that they don't respect the books. For example, the father of Richard is dead in the book but not in the show.
              Maybe I will try to watch it.

Edit: And a little vid about our ship: Gravity
              That vid is stunning and captures the Sparky eye sex perfectly.
              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                Actually daughter, the European sport that you refer to as "football" is actually called soccer. Maybe because you sock the ball with your head. In football you get a penalty for that. LOL

That vid is stunning and captures the Sparky eye sex perfectly.
                You play with HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                For a sport called "FOOTball" is stupid.lol
                sigpic

Comment

Sometimes they have to kick the ball....

great vid find btw....
                  My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by drewandian View Post
                    note to self: don't ask eri to read my nanowrimo story! (actually, i probably should, so it doesn't end up totally sucking! lol)

So...I've finished s2...and I have lots of thoughts about lots of things...
                    here's one....TLG - (and this is more reaction to tptb and the whole 'there's no ship' attitude) IF there was no ship, it would have made more sense for Pheobus to try to convince someone like say, Rodney or Carson, to take on Thalen's consciousness since she's trying to kill them...IF there's no ship, John's the last guy she'd want because he's a trained soldier....IF there's no ship she's be able to pretend Thalen's her hubby with any one of the guys and it wouldn't have mattered...BUT she feels what Liz feels and runs with it....yeah, there's no ship there...sure...whatever (sorry, i'm babbling...I tend to do that....)
                    I knew I'd get in trouble with that snob comment!

I'm not a snob about writing in general. As an English major you're kinda forced into studying 'highbrow' stuff all the time, which makes you appreciate it but also makes it harder to read stuff people call 'beach reads' because your mind does a loop-de-loop searching for symbolism/imagery etc. It's beaten into you by well-meaning English professors who teach you great things but also ruin fun reading. .

But you also learn that writing is completely and utterly subjective. There is no 'good/better/best' other than the obvious (poor grammar and simple vs. complex sentence usage). I had professors who loved my essay style and professors who hated it. The difference between A's on papers and C's on papers. And what's funny? I didn't change my style for them. I always wrote essays the same way. So there is no litmus test for what's "good".

But with published stuff I don't understand how some writing makes it through publication. There are so many talented people in the world who write beautifully for free--I want stuff I pay for to at least be close to that level. If it's not, I get disappointed.

That doesn't mean I run through people's writing and sit there going 'OH, SO BASIC!! YOU SHOULD USE MORE SEMICOLONS!' I don't do that with writing. I have too much respect for the people who take the time to craft things to snottily turn away a good story.

One caveat--I do expect at least punctuation and capitalization.

Sometimes they have to kick the ball....

great vid find btw....
                    For a sport called "FOOTball" is stupid.lol
                    But in french the word for foot is 'pied' yet you call football 'football'. How does that make any sense?

>8D

Comment

Eri, I was teasing...I'm like that too...there are certain authors who everyone else rave about that I'm just kinda like 'eh'....(for example, Nicholas Sparks does NOTHING for me, with the exception of "A Walk to Remember" and IIRC I had a tough time getting into that book at first too, but I know lots of people who just LOVE him...)

And, yes, I'm using capitalization and punctuation....I'm even using semicolons!

I'm finding this novel a challenge, though, simply because of the genre (not the fantasy part but the young adult part)....it's alot easier to write stories like my fics where I have a lot of freedom. It's tricky, keeping it appropriate for my 10 year old niece....
                      sigpic

Comment

But in french the word for foot is 'pied' yet you call football 'football'. How does that make any sense?

>8D
                        What? Now it's a war between French vs American?lol
                        We call this sport "football" because:
                        -"Ballon pied" or "Ballon aux pieds" will be a horrible name for a sport.
                        -The British imposed the rules in football so we kept the English name. We are polite. We did not steal the names of other sports. Yes I'm talking about you and your "football".
                        -Maybe we used the english word for "pied" but we are not so far from the truth. We use our foot.
                        -And....we are not like you (not you in particular lol), we don't call our sport "handball" because we use our foot and not our hands. You use hands but you call it "football". I'm not clear here but.....I can undertsand me and it's the most important.lol

You still like me huh?lol
                        sigpic

Comment

Eri, I was teasing...I'm like that too...there are certain authors who everyone else rave about that I'm just kinda like 'eh'....(for example, Nicholas Sparks does NOTHING for me, with the exception of "A Walk to Remember" and IIRC I had a tough time getting into that book at first too, but I know lots of people who just LOVE him...)

And, yes, I'm using capitalization and punctuation....I'm even using semicolons!

I'm finding this novel a challenge, though, simply because of the genre (not the fantasy part but the young adult part)....it's alot easier to write stories like my fics where I have a lot of freedom. It's tricky, keeping it appropriate for my 10 year old niece....
                          I know! But I don't want anyone to think that I'm not honest in my opinions of writing. I always try to be open-minded. But there are, I guess, places everyone has to draw the line.

I feel you, though. Lately I've felt my own writing has gotten so BORING. Very Basic. I remember reading Southern Red's song-fic a few weeks back--the one set after Elizabeth's death, from the POV of a young officer--and Anuna's-post TLG fic, and being AMAZED at the imagery. Everything felt so tangible and vivid in both those pieces. SR's had this sense of touch and sight to it that put you there, listening to the conversation. And Anuna's descriptors exploded color swirls in my head, if that makes any sense. It was gorgeous, how everything was described.

I was a little depressed after reading them because I don't feel like I can capture that kind of visual description. I don't even know where to start. I generally sound flowery if I try.

Comment

I know! But I don't want anyone to think that I'm not honest in my opinions of writing. I always try to be open-minded. But there are, I guess, places everyone has to draw the line.

I feel you, though. Lately I've felt my own writing has gotten so BORING. Very Basic. I remember reading Southern Red's song-fic a few weeks back--the one set after Elizabeth's death, from the POV of a young officer--and Anuna's-post TLG fic, and being AMAZED at the imagery. Everything felt so tangible and vivid in both those pieces. SR's had this sense of touch and sight to it that put you there, listening to the conversation. And Anuna's descriptors exploded color swirls in my head, if that makes any sense. It was gorgeous, how everything was described.

I was a little depressed after reading them because I don't feel like I can capture that kind of visual description. I don't even know where to start. I generally sound flowery if I try.
                            That's kinda where I am right now...and, with fan fiction, you already have established characters, so a lot of the basic descriptions are unnecessary because you can already "see" the people...and I realized last night that I'd left all of that out of my nanowrimo story...so I'm going to have to go back and add some more description....at least it's a challenge and will get me thinking!

Probie, I recently read a fic where John and (I think) Radek are having this same football/soccer argument...I'll see if I can remember where I found it - it's short but cute....

ETA: ok...I feel dumb..
                            Spoiler:
                            .because it's eri's story..lol but here's the link...http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5376511/..._REAL_football
                            Last edited by drewandian; 06 November 2009, 07:15 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

That's kinda where I am right now...and, with fan fiction, you already have established characters, so a lot of the basic descriptions are unnecessary because you can already "see" the people...and I realized last night that I'd left all of that out of my nanowrimo story...so I'm going to have to go back and add some more description....at least it's a challenge and will get me thinking!

Probie, I recently read a fic where John and (I think) Radek are having this same football/soccer argument...I'll see if I can remember where I found it - it's short but cute....
                              I'm Radek.LOL
                              I will love to read it.Thanks.

Eri: I don't have an answer so I think you hate me. Because you and me will never change your opinion, we can say bad things about "Canadian football".lol
                              sigpic

Comment

What? Now it's a war between French vs American?lol
                                We call this sport "football" because:
                                -"Ballon pied" or "Ballon aux pieds" will be a horrible name for a sport.
                                -The British imposed the rules in football so we kept the English name. We are polite. We did not steal the names of other sports. Yes I'm talking about you and your "football".
                                -Maybe we used the english word for "pied" but we are not so far from the truth. We use our foot.
                                -And....we are not like you (not you in particular lol), we don't call our sport "handball" because we use our foot and not our hands. You use hands but you call it "football". I'm not clear here but.....I can undertsand me and it's the most important.lol

You still like me huh?lol
                                - I agree.

- So what you're saying is that you didn't steal the name of the sport. You stole the entire sport?

- As I recall, there are also moments in your game where the goalie grabs the ball with his hands and players bat the ball with their heads, which even WE aren't foolish enough to do.

And actually, 'football' came from the history of a sport being played while on your feet rather than on a horse or object, hence, why it applies to soccer (association football), rugby (rugby football) and American football. As we both run on our feet, we both are using the term it correctly.

There. We tie.

Comment

Working...
                                X