No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the boredom continues so here's another wallpaper that I played with. Vegas!baby and Cash.

Spoiler:
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Adrift, Part II

Adrift has some great character moments in it, and one of the best to come out of it is probably the emotion we see from Ronon. Injured in the laser blast, he is hanging out in the infirmary, watching the goings-on with Elizabeth, and in general being the team member concerned with her status. We'll see a little more of the connection between Ronon and Elizabeth played up in the next few episodes, particularly Ronon's reserved affection for the Atlantis leader.

Adrift also grants us the start of a new side to Sparky--one which sets my heart to flutter. We get to see the depth of John's attachment to and respect for Elizabeth highlighted in various moments here. And while that attachment is balanced carefully with his role as interim leader, it still shines through, as it does in the next scene.

If you're not watching carefully, you might miss it--I did on the very first watch. It's a quick, quiet scene with McKay updating Sheppard on the status of the city. But where the scene starts is what's key for us--John is standing in Elizabeth's empty office, staring at her desk. It prompts McKay to ask 'the' question, for which there are no answers yet.

ELIZABETH'S OFFICE. John is standing just inside the door, looking into the room. Rodney walks in and joins him.
      McKAY: Any word on how she's doing?
      SHEPPARD: She's still in the O.R. No real news yet.
      Rodney suggests collapsing the shield only to the Central Tower, to preserve as much power as possible, a move which Sheppard approves. But it's only a patch job--a temporary fix. It may guarantee the salvation of the city, but only if they can figure out how to correct the other problems.

And, symbolically, the same thing is happening with Elizabeth. Keller's team has determined that her ICP (intracranial pressure) is rising too fast, risking serious brain damage. They perform a decompressive craniectomy, cutting out a part of her skull to relieve the pressure. Like the city's shield situation, this, too, is just a patch job, a quick fix that does not repair the injuries to Elizabeth. Unless the real damage--her severely injured body--can be healed, she, too will expire.

The haircut is important for a later scene.

And now, for the first time--quiet. Rodney and his team inform Sheppard (and Teyla) that they have a limited period of time before the power drops below the level that will allow them to jump into hyperspace. But for now, they've done what they can, and it's up to the science teams to work on the repairs and hopefully beat the clock.

Teyla contributed only a little here, but I was actually sort of impressed that she hung around and acted as she did. Sometimes we need to be reminded she is the chief of her people, and her role here, as an advisor and calming force, made me think that perhaps Rachel was playing Teyla as though she was trying to take on a few of Elizabeth's responsibilities in honor of her.

John takes this rare moment of peace to check on goings-on in the infirmary. He runs into Ronon, and is then confronted by Keller in what may be one of the 'sparkiest' scenes of all time.

Our friend Southern Red has pointed out from time to time that this scene is not dissimilar from a doctor breaking the bad news to a relative--or in this case, a significant other--and I see no argument with that. Jennifer does not treat him as anything other than someone who cares a great deal for Elizabeth, speaking gently and doing what she can to soften the blow of what she's about to tell him--that Elizabeth will never be the same again.

SHEPPARD: Is she OK?
      KELLER: She's alive, but she's in bad shape. She's got six broken ribs, one of which punctured her lung. Amazingly, she doesn't have any spinal damage ... but her head got knocked around pretty good. She's suffering from cerebral oedema, which may have caused substantial brain damage.
      SHEPPARD: What does all that mean?
      KELLER: Well, it's too early to know for sure but, if she survives – and I gotta stress the "if" ... she'll never be the same Elizabeth again. I'm sorry.

John's reaction to this news is unlike anything I've seen from him in previous Atlantis episodes, though Sunday comes close. Those who've watched through Season 5 can tell if there's a situation (other than Ghost in the Machine) where he reacts this way again. But here, I think very few people would argue that he's brokenhearted. For those of us who cherish the bond between Sheppard and Weir, Joe Flanigan simply knocked this moment out of the park. It's brutal for us, raw in nature--almost uncomfortable if you're a Sheppard fan--and intense. You can feel his pain, see it in his face, hear it in his voice. John Sheppard is a consummate soldier, and within minutes he will be back into performing his duties, making difficult choices as any leader and fighter would. But for this brief moment, the barriers are down, and anyone staring at this face--as we got to for a full minute--knows the despair he's feeling.

He is teary, though we don't see them rolling down his face (that wouldn't be Sheppard at all).

Keller respectfully walks away here, giving him a minute to grieve in peace.

I stand up and applaud Joe for playing this moment with such intensity. Had he not delivered scenes like these with this level of emotion, we might be feeling even worse about how everything turned out. But he (and those who wrote and directed these moments) gave us a little bit of light in the darkness. For this brief second, before he goes back to being the military man we know and love, we get to see into his heart and the selfish part of him. He's in pain. And though he doesn't walk around Atlantis mopey and sad all the time, the pain from this loss does stay with him, and changes him. I saw it through the rest of Season 4, and you Season 5 viewers can confirm it.

As our heartstrings return to normal rhythm, Zelenka and Rodney shared a moment of optimism which is quickly shattered. Gero does manage a few moments of light levity amidst the intensity of Adrift, and naturally we get it with Atlantis's Abbott and Costello.

Switching rapid gears, Gero relieves John of his angst by turning his attention to the next big problem. (Of course, nothing is EVER easy). Though Zelenka should have everything repaired within time to engage the hyperdrive, there is an asteroid field headed for the city (or rather, the city is headed for an asteroid field). With no shield, and no steering, it seems that the precarious thread upon which their lives hang is about to be snapped...

Coming up...Asteroids in real time; John makes a difficult choice--and so does Rodney...
      Last edited by Eri13; 11 September 2009, 07:14 AM.
      Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

i can confirm it he doesnt seem the same in season 4 or 5.

Comment

Adrift, Part III

The asteroid field is posing a big problem. Expanding the shield to cover the city in order to fly through it would drain the ZPM of the critical energy needed to boost them into hyperspace--which would lead to their eventual deaths. And no parts of the city could withstand getting battered by building size asteroids.

So John develops a rather ingenious way to protect them. He commissions all the people on Atlantis (remember that the majority of Atlantis's non-essential personnel are currently on the Apollo) capable of flying jumpers--that crazy gene requirement, remember it? And has them fly in a linear formation to blow up the asteroids in the city's path. It is a neat moment, both in terms of the special effects (which were cool here) and the dialogue between people, since many of these guys have never really flown jumpers before.

McKay is back to whiny mode with this job. One of the few downsides of this episode.

SHEPPARD: Stay in your designated positions; take out anything that's in your path. You've got a full load of drones, so ammo shouldn't be a problem.
          McKAY: Looks like the old video game, Asteroids.
          SHEPPARD: Well, whatever works for you.
          McKAY: I was *terrible* at Asteroids. I think I actually scored zero once.
          SHEPPARD: Well, there's only one way to go, and that's up.

I have a sort of fondness for Ronon's med tech, who pops up randomly to complain in a snotty way from time to time. Reminds me of Kavanaugh.

Very cool special effects.

I liked this technician too, who was monitoring the situation for Teyla from the control room. He was cute--who was he and what happened to him? Did he emerge again somewhere?

The battle works, though a few asteroids get through. But there is no rest for the weary. Though the field has been successfully navigated, one of the rogue asteroids that got through damaged a part of the hyperdrive system--one last repair before they can blast off again.

Here's that levity again...every time McKay successfully navigates a problem, he and Sheppard get summoned to the control room, which, of course, means another problem.

Sheppard and Zelenka suit up to go outside the shield and repair the damaged array. In the meanwhile, McKay, taking a shortcut through the infirmary, is hailed by Jennifer, and we're treated to our first McKeller scene. If I ever get the desire to watch the whole of Season 5, this may be one of the elements I'm most interested in, because he starts out rather snobbily with her here.

KELLER: McKay!
          McKAY: Mmm.
          KELLER: I've been trying to reach you!
          McKAY: Well, you know, trying to save the city and what-not. Look, how's Elizabeth?
          KELLER: That's what I wanna talk to you about. She's really bad. In fact, she's so far gone I don't think there's anything my team and I can do to heal her.
          McKAY (shocked): Oh my God. Uh, are you sure?
          KELLER: I've exhausted every medical possibility I can think of, and none of it's worked.
          McKAY: She ... she's gonna die?
          KELLER: Well, I do have one more idea, but I need your help.
          McKAY: Me? What do you need *me* for?

SHORTLY AFTERWARDS. Jennifer opens a laptop and shows an image to Rodney.

KELLER: See those?
          McKAY: What are they?
          KELLER: Remember when Doctor Weir was attacked by that Replicator and he infected her ...?
          McKAY: Nanites. Carson was able to render them inert using an electro-magnetic pulse.
          KELLER: But they're still in her system.
          McKAY: You're a genius!
          KELLER: Well, you know, trying to save a life and what-not.

**sidenote: Compare Rodney's reaction (and Keller's revelation of the news to him) to Sheppard's. Of course, Keller's on a time limit now and she needs his help, so she's a little more brutal with the news of Elizabeth's impending death. Rodney's reaction is typically Rodney, shocked and upset. Each man handles the news in their own particular way, however, and it is interesting to contrast them.

Keller's plan is dangerously ingenious. The nanites left over from Niam's infection of Elizabeth in Progeny/The Real World are still in her system, rendered inert by EMP (and, actually, Elizabeth's own willpower). If they can be reactivated, they can repair the damage, potentially healing her completely. But there is a problem--they're still replicators, and they're dangerous.

This is exactly the concern John has when he hears of the plan--which he emphatically turns down unless Rodney can give him a 100% guarantee they won't pose a threat to Atlantis.

SHEPPARD: You wanna what?!
          McKAY: Reactivate Weir's nanites.
          SHEPPARD: That is a terrible, *terrible* idea.
          McKAY: What? I've reprogrammed them.
          SHEPPARD: No!
          McKAY: John, we are losing her here. Keller and her team have done everything they can. If I can reprogramme the nanites to help repair her body without trying to take over her brain, then ...
          SHEPPARD: That's a big "if," isn't it?
          McKAY: I am fairly confident I can reprogramme them to do only what we want.
          SHEPPARD: "Fairly confident." What if they come back online and start communicating with the other Replicators? The last thing we need right now is a bunch of robot warships showing up.
          McKAY: Are you listening? Look, I said I can reprogramme them to be completely harmless.
          SHEPPARD: I am not having this conversation until you're *sure*. I wanna save Elizabeth as much as anyone, but she wouldn't want us risking the city, not even for her.

Seems like a little McKeller here--a shared moment of frustration.

The first time I saw John, I was a little angry with his unequivocal rejection of the nanite idea. But having gone back on it, I find that, truthfully, Gero has written John here truly in character. John's over-the-top, self-sacrificial nature when it comes to saving his family does have its limits. And Elizabeth is a special case. While he might be willing to throw his own life away to protect what he sees as an unnecessary death--think of his reaction in The Real World or The Ark--in this case, Rodney is risking the entire city. Second, and I think more importantly, John has kind of stepped into Elizabeth's shoes, and is trying to both be the kind of leader she was and also do what she would want him to do. Elizabeth has sacrificed team members and friends to save the city before--John's been that sacrifice twice--so he is doing what she would do in a leadership capacity. And as he will argue with Rodney later--and Elizabeth herself will confirm--personally, she would NOT want to be revived in this way, and he knows that. It sort of goes back to Rising and that notion she throws at John in that first argument they had on the balcony--'I will not sanction a mission unless you can guarantee me success.' This what John's asking for here.

That doesn't stop Gero from throwing in the doubt, though. Note Zelenka's reassurance to John at the end of that scene. There's still a part of Sheppard struggling with the 'right thing to do.'

ZELENKA: That was the right call, by the way.
          SHEPPARD: Yeah, let's hope so.

Another breather as we cut back to Sam and Bill, now wholly concerned with Atlantis's disappearance and trying to figure out what to do next. Probably not a necessary scene, but it's a nice break.

Sheppard and Zelenka set to work on the array after a fantastic 'space jump' sequence--another cool bit of special effects. In the meanwhile, McKay and Keller continue to work on reprogramming the nanites in a way that will make John feel content with reactivating them.

I mentioned Ronon earlier, and the next scene is one of the most touching scenes for me--a personal favorite--to come out of Adrift. Rolling an IV into Elizabeth's room, Ronon has a moment with her, thanking her for accepting him into Atlantis and essentially saving his life. His devotion to Weir--which is neither overblown nor OOC--will be demonstrated a few more times through Season 4. Ronon is respectful of her, and obviously cares, but he never steps out of the bounds of who he in any of these scenes. He demonstrates his feelings, shows his loyalty, and as the seasons progress, heals and moves on--as is demonstrated with his subsequent dealings with future versions of Weir. In this regard, he is a great example of continuous and development writing.

John and Zelenka run into a problem--microasteroids bouncing around the array strike the Czech scientist (Zelenka fans gasp a collective gasp as his life was put into question for a moment). As Sheppard deals with this minor crises, Rodney and Jennifer face a major one--Elizabeth is crashing. Keller gives Rodney two options--activate the nanites now, or let Elizabeth die. Without contacting Sheppard, Rodney makes a life-changing decision--literally.

He reactivates the nanites.

Coming up...Elizabeth becomes what she most fears as time for the Lanteans continues to run out...and we're left with only one option...
          Last edited by Eri13; 11 September 2009, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Ha, I just had a thought. As Eri mentioned, Ronon was deeply affected by what happened to Elizabeth. We rarely see him showing his emotions quite like this, and in that regard, and also loyalty, he is very much like John.

However, Ronon healed. All of them did. Only John didn't.
            I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
              Ha, I just had a thought. As Eri mentioned, Ronon was deeply affected by what happened to Elizabeth. We rarely see him showing his emotions quite like this, and in that regard, and also loyalty, he is very much like John.

I noticed that too. And I think it was because Ronon was not as emotionally invested as John was why he was able to heal. He seemed to find it relatively easy to go in and have his final goodbye with her. Or so he thought. But John wasn't even able, as we see later, to go see her. John is so afraid of his own emotions he's just a cripple sometimes.
              sigpic

Comment

Adrift, Part IV

Sam and Bill return for a final scene. Sam's seriously troubled about Atlantis, and sets up a little foreshadowing for the next episode--she and Bill are going galaxy jumping, heading to the Pegasus to rendezvous with the Apollo and try to find Atlantis.

Sheppard, on the other hand, is treated to some bad news. Though the injured Zelenka has been able to repair the array needed to fly the hyperdrive, Teyla informs them that the power levels have dropped below the level needed to engage it.

It would seem they have failed.

Sheppard delivers Zelenka to the infirmary (we're all relieved he's going to be alright) and goes in search of McKay, though he's surprised to find Rodney in the infirmary with him. And immediately, John knows something fishy is going on.

The argument between John and Rodney is another scene I enjoy in Adrift.

SHEPPARD: Hey!
                McKAY: I heard we didn't get the array fixed in time, but-but ...
                SHEPPARD: What were you doing in there?
                McKAY (nervously): Look, she was dying, OK?
                SHEPPARD: Rodney?
                McKAY: Look, her heart was weak, her nervous system was fried ...
                SHEPPARD: What did you *do*?
                McKAY: I reactivated the nanites.
                SHEPPARD (furious): DAMMIT, McKay!
                McKAY: Look, you were busy! It was life or death! If I didn't act ...
                SHEPPARD: Yes, she would have died, I know!
                McKAY: OK, I know what you're thinking, but helping Elizabeth is *not* putting us at risk.
                SHEPPARD: You just reactivated the Replicator nanites.
                McKAY: They're harmless! Look, I am a hundred percent certain they're not gonna try to take her over or contact the others.
                SHEPPARD: No, no, you can't know that for sure.
                McKAY: Yes. Yes I can. (His eyes flicker nervously, however, betraying his uncertainty.)
                SHEPPARD: Shut it down.
                McKAY: But ... that would kill her.
                SHEPPARD: What do you think Elizabeth would want? D'you think she'd want...
                McKAY: Yes, she would! She'd sure as hell do the same for you.
                SHEPPARD: Well, you obviously didn't know her very well.
                McKAY: Oh, maybe not, but d'you know what? Give it some time, you can ask her yourself.
                SHEPPARD: *NO!* It's too dangerous. Shut it down. Right now.
                McKAY: No. No, I'm not going to. (John steps closer, glaring into Rodney's eyes. Rodney looks nervous but manages to hold his gaze. After a few moments, John activates his headset.)
                SHEPPARD: Myers, bring an E.M.P. generator to the O.R.
                McKAY: Will you *please* just listen to me?
                NURSE (offscreen): Doctor Keller!
                This scene is powerful, and distinctly demonstrates the difference in the ideologies of the two men. Though we know what John is feeling about Elizabeth's loss from that earlier scene, here he has completely stepped into the role of leader of Atlantis, working on what Elizabeth would want and what he knows is best for the city. Rodney is working on what he wants, which is for Elizabeth not to die. It's not OOC for either man, as Rodney does tend to be selfish at times, while John is more selfless. Not that Rodney couldn't selflessly sacrifice himself--he's done that too--just that when confronted with an option like this, he thinks like a scientist, with logic, not necessarily common sense. In a way, his mantra is: 'If it's broken, how do I fix it? Without blowing anything else up?' In this case, Rodney believes that he has enough control over the situation to run the risk of activating the nanites, though obviously he's not 100% certain.

John counters that belief with his own, bringing up two points key to his position--one, that this is a seriously dangerous risk in a situation where they can't afford anymore risks, and two--the most important point--that Elizabeth would not want this. John gets that a lot better than Rodney does, and his opinion is a neat bit of continuity from Common Ground, where John says essentially the same thing to Kolya--demonstrating that he and Elizabeth have been on the same wavelength for a long time. What's even more Sparky about this part of the argument is how Elizabeth completely confirms that just one scene later.

Also a little heartbreaking is watching John get angry and being put in the difficult position of having to order an EMP generator to deal the death blow himself. That had to have been more salt on the wound for him. I do like Rodney's stubborn refusal to help him, though, and insistence that what he did was right. It shows that while Rodney perhaps doesn't know Elizabeth's mindset as well as John does, his heart was completely in the right place, and all he wanted was to save her.

Any and all attempts to stop the nanites is for naught, however, as the damage (or lack thereof) has already been done. Within minutes, the OR enters a state of chaos as Elizabeth--dramatically ripping off her head bandage to reveal a completely regrown head of hair--sits up, completely healed.

She's back! Yay! With all due respect to Elizabeth and John, I'm a little more with Rodney on this one.

She's quickly placed into a mandatory quarantine, as the medical staff tries to determine how much in control the nanites are and how much of a threat she is. Rodney and John share another moment, this time with a rare Rodney McKay apology. I like how Rodney admits he kinda got it wrong. Kinda.

McKAY: The quarantine is unnecessary.
                SHEPPARD (angrily, still looking at the screen): Well, you'll excuse me if I wait for a second opinion.
                McKAY: OK, this is stupid.
                SHEPPARD: What is?
                McKAY: Look, us fighting. Look, I know you're not happy with me – and you *may* have some cause – but anyway, it's not gonna matter much if we don't figure a way out of this, right? (John refuses to look at him.) Look, we have to work together, so ... so, so, I'm sorry.
                SHEPPARD: Apology accepted.
                McKAY: Right.

In the sole Elizabeth moment in Adrift, we find her with Teyla, looking forlorn. Though Teyla tries to assure her that they did what they needed to make sure she didn't die, Elizabeth's attitude completely reflects John's earlier sentiments--she did not want this. Now she has to live with it, though it's clear from her body language and expressions that she's frightened, and that we should be feeling a little fearful, too.

Elizabeth's chilling reinforcement to Teyla about exactly why this is a bad idea is particularly well played by Torri, so kudos to her.

WEIR: They shouldn't have done this.
                TEYLA: None of us wanted to lose you, Elizabeth.
                WEIR: And what happens if the nanites are able to contact the other Replicators?
                TEYLA: Rodney does not believe that is possible.
                WEIR (shaking her head): No, it's reckless.
                TEYLA: In my opinion, it is well worth the risk.
                WEIR: You have no idea what I went through the last time. Believe me, this is a very bad idea.

Teyla actually does look scared by Elizabeth's warning.

There is a final bit of Sparky here--I like how John is unable to face Elizabeth at this moment. I think it's a combination of factors--that he had sort of accepted the loss and was struggling to get through it and now it's all been turned upside down; that he is frightened of what she is; that he's angry at himself for almost letting her die. It's quintessential Sheppard, and it'll be something to keep in mind when he does finally get himself together and can talk with her directly again in the opening scenes of Lifeline--seeing how he reacts to her after going through all of this.

When the guys return to the control room, saddled with the knowledge that the city is probably not going to make it, McKay comes up with a final brainstorm. During Tao of Rodney, McKay had fitted a jumper with a nearly complete hyperdrive system. Though limited in capabilities, the system should be able to get the jumper within 2,000 light years of Atlantis's current position.

Laying directly within that range is a planet that can assuredly provide what Atlantis needs most desperately--ZPMs. Fitting the city with a couple would allow them to lift into hyperspace and make it safely to a new home.

There is just one small problem--the planet is Asuras, home to the replicators, who started this whole mess in the first place. A dangerous gamble to make, but with the entire city and the lives in it on the line, it's one they're going to have to take.

What they don't know at this moment is that they have a trump card nearby--though the cost of using it will be very, very great.

To be continued with Lifeline...

EDIT: I've sort of left my personal opinion off the end of this, since it doesn't feel quite finished. I'll do more with the entire Elizabeth situation and the change in Atlantis in the mini-recap after the Lifeline. In short, I enjoy Adrift--I thought it was a really well-written episode with all the ups and downs of a Season premiere, plus some great character moments that can really set off some deep discussions. I don't really have any hedges to this, other than wishing John would have leapt for joy at Elizabeth's recovery--however, as I mentioned in the argument, that's just me, not canon!John.
                Last edited by Eri13; 11 September 2009, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                  I noticed that too. And I think it was because Ronon was not as emotionally invested as John was why he was able to heal. He seemed to find it relatively easy to go in and have his final goodbye with her. Or so he thought. But John wasn't even able, as we see later, to go see her. John is so afraid of his own emotions he's just a cripple sometimes.
                  Plus, Ronon has suffered a lot; I think he got used to dealing with loss as a part of his life.

John is a huge conundrum. I've discussed it a little in the recap and I'm going to ask some questions about it now.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Normally, I'd say Happy Pretty Friday, but with Eri's recap of Adrift, it's far from happy. But it's still beautiful in it's angst.

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                    Adrift was penned by our old friend Martin Gero, whose opinion on Weir (or is it Sparky?) seems to be split at times. But in the opening sequences of Adrift, he and the production actually treat us to something that seems a bit ironic, considering the changes being made to S4 because of this episode. He symbolically links Elizabeth with Atlantis. For the first few opening minutes, we watch a series of back and forth cut scenes between McKay trying to repair the immediate damage to Atlantis and Keller trying to revive Elizabeth. They are edited together in such a way that the implication is they are connected, and that as Elizabeth fails, so does Atlantis, and vice-versa. Even the dialogue crosses paths to imply that symbolic connection.

What Adrift seems to be implying in the opening moments is that Elizabeth and the city are of one kind of heart--or a soul--and by the end of the episode, it will take all of Rodney's abilities to save them both.
                    Ironic, indeed. And a connection that ever since, we've seen noted again and again by fans who aren't Sparky fans, aren't necessarily Weir fans, who have come to realize that Atlantis just isn't Atlantis without her. Elizabeth really is the heart and soul of Atlantis.

Adrift also grants us the start of a new side to Sparky--one which sets my heart to flutter. We get to see the depth of John's attachment to and respect for Elizabeth highlighted in various moments here. And while that attachment is balanced carefully with his role as interim leader, it still shines through, as it does in the next scene.

If you're not watching carefully, you might miss it--I did on the very first watch. It's a quick, quiet scene with McKay updating Sheppard on the status of the city. But where the scene starts is what's key for us--John is standing in Elizabeth's empty office, staring at her desk. It prompts McKay to ask 'the' question, for which there are no answers yet.
                    That moment, and the later scene where John is watching Elizabeth over the monitor and clearly has tears in his eyes, broke my heart. It definitely gets my heart fluttering too.

Our friend Southern Red has pointed out from time to time that this scene is not dissimilar from a doctor breaking the bad news to a relative--or in this case, a significant other--and I see no argument with that. Jennifer does not treat him as anything other than someone who cares a great deal for Elizabeth, speaking gently and doing what she can to soften the blow of what she's about to tell him--that Elizabeth will never be the same again.

John's reaction to this news is unlike anything I've seen from him in previous Atlantis episodes, though Sunday comes close. Those who've watched through Season 5 can tell if there's a situation (other than Ghost in the Machine) where he reacts this way again. But here, I think very few people would argue that he's brokenhearted. For those of us who cherish the bond between Sheppard and Weir, Joe Flanigan simply knocked this moment out of the park. It's brutal for us, raw in nature--almost uncomfortable if you're a Sheppard fan--and intense. You can feel his pain, see it in his face, hear it in his voice. John Sheppard is a consummate soldier, and within minutes he will be back into performing his duties, making difficult choices as any leader and fighter would. But for this brief moment, the barriers are down, and anyone staring at this face--as we got to for a full minute--knows the despair he's feeling.

I stand up and applaud Joe for playing this moment with such intensity. Had he not delivered scenes like these with this level of emotion, we might be feeling even worse about how everything turned out. But he (and those who wrote and directed these moments) gave us a little bit of light in the darkness. For this brief second, before he goes back to being the military man we know and love, we get to see into his heart and the selfish part of him. He's in pain. And though he doesn't walk around Atlantis mopey and sad all the time, the pain from this loss does stay with him, and changes him. I saw it through the rest of Season 4, and you Season 5 viewers can confirm it.
                    No, John doesn't react as intensely to anything else in Seasons 4 or 5 like he does to the news about Elizabeth's injury here. He's obviously affected by the news of Teyla's capture in The Kindred, or Rodney's illness in The Shrine, but it's not the same as it is for Elizabeth.

I think Adrift (and Lifeline) really cemented my admiration for Joe Flanigan as an actor. He plays John's agony beautifully, and because of that, there's just no way I can watch those scenes and not believe that John loves Elizabeth. I just can't. He does love her. You don't see that kind of grief for someone who's just a friend. And yet, even in his grief, he still knows he has to do what she would want him to do.

I mentioned Ronon earlier, and the next scene is one of the most touching scenes for me--a personal favorite--to come out of Adrift. Rolling an IV into Elizabeth's room, Ronon has a moment with her, thanking her for accepting him into Atlantis and essentially saving his life. His devotion to Weir--which is neither overblown nor OOC--will be demonstrated a few more times through Season 4. Ronon is respectful of her, and obviously cares, but he never steps out of the bounds of who he in any of these scenes. He demonstrates his feelings, shows his loyalty, and as the seasons progress, heals and moves on--as is demonstrated with his subsequent dealings with future versions of Weir. In this regard, he is a great example of continuous and development writing.
                    This is one of my favorite Ronon scenes of all time. In a sense, it's kind of the goodbye he never really got with Melena and his homeworld. It's a beautiful, poignant moment that shows how far Ronon's come since we first met him and how he (like Sheppard) sees his own 'family' in Atlantis as also being more than just the off-world team he's a part of.

Any and all attempts to stop the nanites is for naught, however, as the damage (or lack thereof) has already been done. Within minutes, the OR enters a state of chaos as Elizabeth--dramatically ripping off her head bandage to reveal a completely regrown head of hair--sits up, completely healed.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...drift_0735.jpg
                    She's back! Yay! With all due respect to Elizabeth and John, I'm a little more with Rodney on this one.
                    I've got to side with you and Rodney; I want her to be alive, too. And there was always the hope that Rodney could keep working on the nanites and eventually get them to do what he originally intended, which was to simply repair the damaged areas with new-grown organic tissues, rather than replacing those areas with nanite cells.

She's quickly placed into a mandatory quarantine, as the medical staff tries to determine how much in control the nanites are and how much of a threat she is. Rodney and John share another moment, this time with a rare Rodney McKay apology. I like how Rodney admits he kinda got it wrong. Kinda.
                    What kind of annoyed me about that bit was that I thought John should've told Rodney that he wasn't the one that Rodney needed to apologize to. And he never did apologize to her. Grr.

There is a final bit of Sparky here--I like how John is unable to face Elizabeth at this moment. I think it's a combination of factors--that he had sort of accepted the loss and was struggling to get through it and now it's all been turned upside down; that he is frightened of what she is; that he's angry at himself for almost letting her die. It's quintessential Sheppard, and it'll be something to keep in mind when he does finally get himself together and can talk with her directly again in the opening scenes of Lifeline--seeing how he reacts to her after going through all of this.
                    I like what SR said about John being crippled by his emotions sometimes. I think it's very true, and it speaks to how much Elizabeth has gotten behind those walls he's put up around himself.
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Alright, since I really need to do real work now, my last contribution for the day--

Adrift Discussion

1) Adrift is an interesting episode--not as uplifting as the resolution of The Siege and not as disjointed as No Man's Land. How did you feel about it as a Season premiere?

2) The opening sequence is a series of cut scenes showing the failing of Atlantis paralleled to the 'failing' of Elizabeth. What did that sequence mean to you? As a fan of Elizabeth, what can you say about its significance in the long run?

3) John steps straight into the role of leader right from the beginning, quietly reminding Rodney that he needs to be informed of all decisions. How did this character move strike you? Was it in character for John? What about as the story progresses--how did he handle everything?

4) What stood out to you about the infirmary scene where Keller breaks the news to John of Elizabeth's condition? What do you think John was really feeling at that point?

5) Was the asteroid belt problem necessary? We're always aiming to amp up the action on Atlantis, but was this overkill?

6) In a key moment in Adrift, Rodney and Keller come up with a plan to reactivate Elizabeth's nanites in order to save her. John is highly opposed to this plan. Was this an anti-Sparky moment, or out of character for Mr. 'leave no one behind?' Or was it completely Sparky and totally in character? Defend or debate John's actions!

7) Keller's move is a little cutthroat, doing anything to save her patient. Was this sensible for her? Should she have respected the nanite situation more? Why doesn't John direct any of his vehemence towards her?

8) How did you like Ronon's 'quiet' scenes with Elizabeth? Were they within character for Ronon? Do you wish we'd had more of these, or was this enough to demonstrate his softer side?

9) Was it sensible for Rodney to ignore John and reactive the nanites in Elizabeth? Honestly, were you more on Rodney's side or more on John's?

10) Sam and Dr. Lee pop in occasionally, with no real added benefit to the story (though their significance will be explained in Lifeline). Did you mind them here? Why do you think they were included?

11) Why do you think John goes so far as to order the EMP to deactivate Elizabeth, instead of waiting to see what would happen? What would you imagine was going through his mind as he was fighting with Rodney?

12) Why do YOU believe John couldn't visit Elizabeth in the infirmary after she was healed?

13) Elizabeth is obviously not happy about the nanites being reactivated in her. What do you see as her biggest concern? Why does she feel her life is not as important as Atlantis?

14) Were you surprised that the 'solution' to the Adrift problems seem to lie on Asuras? How sensible is this resolution to the episode, considering the attack on Atlantis only one episode ago?

15) Remember that Adrift is supposed to start directly after First Strike ends. Did you get that feeling from this episode, that they were connected? Is it easy to watch the two of them back to back, as it is with The Siege? Or had things 'fundamentally' changed for you at this point?

Sparky bonus

A) How Sparky do you consider Adrift? Is it high on your list? Low? Why?

B) Did you get a sense of Sparky continuity here? If you did, what was it? If not, why not?

C) In your Sparky interpretation, what importance do you place on the 'mourning' scene? Why is it important in the grand scheme of things? How do you think Joe Flanigan played John's reaction?

D) Is there anything on the Sparky side you would have done differently in Adrift (remember, no business side arguments).

Comment

Woot! Questions! And I have a challenge for everyone. Try to answer all the questions without reading anyone else's answers. That way I think we'll get more detailed responses.

Spoiler:
                        Adrift Discussion

1) Adrift is an interesting episode--not as uplifting as the resolution of The Siege and not as disjointed as No Man's Land. How did you feel about it as a Season premiere?

I liked the fast action and the going from one crisis to another with the juxtaposition of Elizabeth's situation. It was fast paced without being rushed and some of Gero's best writing I think.

2) The opening sequence is a series of cut scenes showing the failing of Atlantis paralleled to the 'failing' of Elizabeth. What did that sequence mean to you? As a fan of Elizabeth, what can you say about its significance in the long run?

I think it was very significant in the way it was done and clearly showed a parallel between Elizabeth and the city. It was a fitting comparison and even more poignant in light of how she ended up.

3) John steps straight into the role of leader right from the beginning, quietly reminding Rodney that he needs to be informed of all decisions. How did this character move strike you? Was it in character for John? What about as the story progresses--how did he handle everything?

It was very much in character. Just as he stepped up to become military commander, he knows his duty and never fails to carry it out. I think he used a lot of what he had learned from Elizabeth over the years in the way he managed the situation. He continued to carry out his duties in a calm ordered and logical way. (I sound like I'm writing a personnel report. LOL)

4) What stood out to you about the infirmary scene where Keller breaks the news to John of Elizabeth's condition? What do you think John was really feeling at that point?

Well you know what I think. She treated him like the next of kin. Now technically we could say she recognizes that John is now in control and as the leader, he must be fully informed blahblahblah. But it's the way in which she talks to him, puts her hand on his shoulder and says she's sorry for what she has to tell him that gives it a personal touch. I think up until that point John hadn't let himself consider that she wouldn't make it. This was Elizabeth. Once the dust settled she'd be fine. I think what Keller had to tell him was so shocking that just for a moment all his defenses were down and he almost lost that tight control he's so famous for.

5) Was the asteroid belt problem necessary? We're always aiming to amp up the action on Atlantis, but was this overkill?

It was a little Jerry Bruckheimer but I think a nice little bit of SciFi that gave us a look at some of the folks behind the scenes whose lives were on the line. Like the main characters, they all stepped up to trust John and do what had to be done. The only part of it I thought wasn't very good was John's little pep talk. I don't know if it was supposed to sound like he really didn't believe it himself or if it was the way Joe delivered his lines. *shrugs* I wouldn't have been inspired by it.

6) In a key moment in Adrift, Rodney and Keller come up with a plan to reactivate Elizabeth's nanites in order to save her. John is highly opposed to this plan. Was this an anti-Sparky moment, or out of character for Mr. 'leave no one behind?' Or was it completely Sparky and totally in character? Defend or debate John's actions!

Completely on both counts. Twice now, once in CG and once here we have heard John tell someone that he knows Elizabeth better than they do. Too bad we had to be told that and not shown, but we take what we can get. If you're into subtext, you might say this shows that at some point they have had a conversation along the lines of what they want done if preserving their life means destroying the city. John emphatically declares that he knows Elizabeth wouldn't want to live as a partial replicator and he's willing to take responsibility for letting her die. That's John all over and harkens back to one of his first acts in Atlantis when he had to shoot Sumner. John is the guy who does what most others are not willing or able to do and this time would be no exception but Rodney and Keller took that away from him. I think he had started to come to terms with the prospect of losing her and now he knows this will just prolong the agony and he'll get his heart broken at some point all over again. He also knows that if he has to either kill her himself or make them deactivate the nanites, his suffering will be multiplied tenfold.

It would have been a betrayal of her for him not to honor her wishes.

7) Keller's move is a little cutthroat, doing anything to save her patient. Was this sensible for her? Should she have respected the nanite situation more? Why doesn't John direct any of his vehemence towards her?

Keller is a doctor and that's what doctors do. So it would not have been logical to blame her. Rodney is a scientist and should have looked at it from a more unemotional standpoint. Plus Rodney has already seen what those little *******s did to Elizabeth once before.

8) How did you like Ronon's 'quiet' scenes with Elizabeth? Were they within character for Ronon? Do you wish we'd had more of these, or was this enough to demonstrate his softer side?

I simply loved it. I've always thought Ronon has a heart like a marshmallow. Time and again he's shown a tender side in the way he's so protective of his new family. And even Rodney at times like in TOR and when he hugged Carson in Sateda have experienced this side of him. Later we see him so good with Teyla in relation to her baby situation. I think it's enough though. He's supposed to be the big warrior. We don't want that to change.

9) Was it sensible for Rodney to ignore John and reactive the nanites in Elizabeth? Honestly, were you more on Rodney's side or more on John's?

I don't know if I'd use the word sensible. I think Rodney saw an opportunity when John was occupied elsewhere and the urgency of the situation allowed him to rationalize that it was okay to go ahead and they could sort it out later. It was part of his arrogance to think he was right and John was wrong. I was totally on Rodney's side emotionally but saw the logic in John's. I wanted John to grab Rodney and thank him for bringing her back to him. *sobs out of control*

10) Sam and Dr. Lee pop in occasionally, with no real added benefit to the story (though their significance will be explained in Lifeline). Did you mind them here? Why do you think they were included?

I love Bill Lee and really didn't mind them. I think it was a bit of foreshadowing for Lifeline and then also a way to break the tension. Comic relief without the comedy. Well...except that Lee personifies comedy.

11) Why do you think John goes so far as to order the EMP to deactivate Elizabeth, instead of waiting to see what would happen? What would you imagine was going through his mind as he was fighting with Rodney?

At this point I think he was thinking about the danger to the city and also that it would be better to deactivate her sooner rather than later. I don't know what he was thinking would trigger having to do so however. Did he think she would suddenly leap up from the gurney and try to take over the city? I have to call Gero on this one. Who knows what he was thinking sometimes?

12) Why do YOU believe John couldn't visit Elizabeth in the infirmary after she was healed?

He didn't want to have to explain to her why he had allowed the nanites to be reactivitated and see how disappointed in him she would be. He felt like he had betrayed her. And you don't have to be a shipper to believe that.

13) Elizabeth is obviously not happy about the nanites being reactivated in her. What do you see as her biggest concern? Why does she feel her life is not as important as Atlantis?

She was concerned that they would take over and make her do something to harm Atlantis or someone who lived there. It's kind of a belief she shares if not with everyone there certainly with John. It was a mission that they all believed in. They left home and family to come there and the city had always been everyone's #1 priority. In that respect nothing had changed.

14) Were you surprised that the 'solution' to the Adrift problems seem to lie on Asuras? How sensible is this resolution to the episode, considering the attack on Atlantis only one episode ago?

I never really thought about it. I guess it was a way to come full circle back to the Replicators who caused the mess in the first place. It was the typical reckless mission that is likely to end badly that these writers specialize in. In this case there were consequences that they never recovered from.

15) Remember that Adrift is supposed to start directly after First Strike ends. Did you get that feeling from this episode, that they were connected? Is it easy to watch the two of them back to back, as it is with The Siege? Or had things 'fundamentally' changed for you at this point?

I don't remember how long the break was but I do remember that this one was "leaked" while I was on vacation and I was getting emails from people telling me all about the Sparky moments and I was about to die to get home. LOL So when I finally saw it the suspense was gone. It did, however, seem like it was almost one episode because of the way this one started right up. My attitude had changed I think because I knew what was going to happen and I never felt the same again.

Sparky bonus

A) How Sparky do you consider Adrift? Is it high on your list? Low? Why?

The Sparkiest of the Sparky solely because of John's reaction. I could hardly believe how far they went but then I realized it was all JF. He could easily have just looked a bit sad or concerned and that would have been it. I doubt the script spelled out the woobie face and the tears.

B) Did you get a sense of Sparky continuity here? If you did, what was it? If not, why not?

Continuity going back to CG when she had a similar reaction over him. Also it brought so many things to mind about the times each of them thought the other was dead.

C) In your Sparky interpretation, what importance do you place on the 'mourning' scene? Why is it important in the grand scheme of things? How do you think Joe Flanigan played John's reaction?

It made all the difference and is vitally important as I said above. I'm not sure what Joe was thinking. To be perfectly honest I think he was thinking about how he had lost a friend. He's never advocated the ship even though he did say once that he sees how some people might think they would get together. However, to the best of my knowledge he's always thought they'd hook up John with Teyla. No big deal with that. He was hired to do a job and that's what they told him would happen. I doubt he really cared. LOL

But for some reason he chose to play the emotion as tightly controlled and more intense than John usually displayed. As I said above I think John was in shock and didn't expect her to really die. Joe probably was thinking that he was having to face losing another family member.

D) Is there anything on the Sparky side you would have done differently in Adrift (remember, no business side arguments).

I would have had him go in alone earlier and talk to her and tried to explain why her wishes weren't honored. I think she would have told him it wasn't his fault and they would have made it clear to each other what had to be done if she lost control and that she wouldn't hold it against John. That would have been sweet sweet angst that would have killed us all dead so it's probably for the best that it didn't happen.

Comment

Eri13: Fantastic, great, amazing recap. I can't choose the right word. I watched this episode this morning and I already want to see it again thanks to you.
                          My mom loved your recap. I translated what you wrote and she thinks that you are amazing.
                          She wants to answer your questions (and I will do this too if you are interested.lol) but you have to wait tomorrow night because she's in bed now.
                          I can't wait to see your recap for Lifeline.

SR:Good idea! I can't wait to see your answers but I will wait.

EDIT/ I can't understand your questions C. I don't understand the word "mourning". Can someone help me please?
                          Last edited by Probie; 11 September 2009, 11:53 AM.
                          sigpic
                          Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                            Eri13: Fantastic, great, amazing recap. I can't choose the right word. I watched this episode this morning and I already want to see it again thanks to you.
                            My mom loved your recap. I translated what you wrote and she thinks that you are amazing.
                            She wants to answer your questions (and I will do this too if you are interested.lol) but you have to wait tomorrow night because she's in bed now.

I can't wait for yours and your mom's. Wake her up.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                              I can't wait for yours and your mom's. Wake her up.
                              I would LOVE to wake up because she tortured me today (not just with SGA) but she's so tired. I will a nice daughter and wait tomorrow.lol
                              I think my mom and I have the same opinion on this episode. So I will give my first impression of this episode when I was a "no-shipper". Yes I didn't ship Elizabeth and John before the middle of the season 4.
                              sigpic
                              Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post

EDIT/ I can't understand your questions C. I don't understand the word "mourning". Can someone help me please?
                                The best french verb I could find is pleurer. John et sur le point de pleurer. Does that make sense? Also close is sens de regretter or ressentir de la tristesse. John is feeling like he wants to cry because he has lost Elizabeth. When you lose someone close to you, that feeling of sadness that does not go away for a long time is what we call "mourning".

I can't wait to see you and your Mom's responses either!

Comment

Working...
                                X