Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
    You know, RCC might do just that. It's already headed in that very direction I think.
    I think so, too. We know that some of them do read the forums, and again and again, people keep speaking up about how they miss Weir and Torri on the show. It's not stopping. That's got to be getting through on some level.

About that right woman and people who complain, I'm afraid that the right woman is already taken. That makes her the not right woman, because John doesn't need more mess in his life. He needs to get himself a 'jumper and dial a certain gate, get Elizabeth back, they can clone a proper body for her and then he and the love of his life can make adorable, messy - haired, super smart sparky!babiez.
    Word! We don't want to see Sheppard turned into a homewrecker. We want to see him make good on that 'we don't leave our people behind' promise and get Elizabeth back. And then make Sparky!babies!
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post

Word! We don't want to see Sheppard turned into a homewrecker. We want to see him make good on that 'we don't leave our people behind' promise and get Elizabeth back. And then make Sparky!babies!
      And then he can finally get some with someone who means a lot to him. *nods*
      I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

I think so, too. We know that some of them do read the forums, and again and again, people keep speaking up about how they miss Weir and Torri on the show. It's not stopping. That's got to be getting through on some level.
        And maybe, if we keep talking about it long and loud enough someone out there might decide she needs to be taken home. And it's John who should do it!

Comment

And then he can finally get some with someone who means a lot to him. *nods*
          And then he'll have a logical, in-character reason to be happy again! So there, naysayers!

And maybe, if we keep talking about it long and loud enough someone out there might decide she needs to be taken home. And it's John who should do it!
          Yup. Keep the pressure on! Hold their feet to the fire!
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Also, I'm in the process of making all five seasons John soundtrack. I'm guessing it will me country music, but good country music

Comment

They do seem to know what we think, don't they? Makes you wonder. *waves*

I was thinking a bit about this OOC business especially regarding John. When exactly has he been out of character? Well, IMHO, he was extremely OOC when he didn't go back to get Elizabeth the first time no matter what his orders were. The whole set up from day one on his character was that he had a tendency to disobey orders and he didn't leave people behind. Look what he did in the pilot and he barely knew any of those people. Yet 3 years later we are supposed to believe that because Carter wouldn't let him, he just didn't even try to go get Elizabeth. Please.

As far as dark!John in S4-5 goes, I think that has been perfectly in character considering the progression of events. Look at what RCC said about Vegas!John and his relationship to our John.

Spoiler:
              I found it really interesting to look at the Sheppard character from a different perspective — the kind of perspective sci-fi can give you. It let us explore Sheppard in a way we could not have done any other way and maybe understand who our Sheppard is a little better as a result.
              This was a tragedy. The hero always dies at the end of a tragedy. It’s a dark story about a lonely man with a broken past who sees a chance to be a hero and possibly end his life-long pain. I don’t think every version of Sheppard would be this heroic. I think Rodney’s point was that this reality is very similar to one in which a version Sheppard he met was heroic. The fun of AU is the variation and similarity. Some people obviously don’t like tragedies.

The dark turn in John's demeanor was planned and it was for the same reason in both these universes.

Sing it sister!

Also, I'm in the process of making all five seasons John soundtrack. I'm guessing it will me country music, but good country music
              Is there any other kind? *iz puzzled*
              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                They do seem to know what we think, don't they? Makes you wonder. *waves*
                Makes you wonder, indeed... about just who is really standing in the way of extending that olive branch to Torri and restoring her trust in them after they broke it, by working in good faith to make things right with her and the fans. Because the ball to do that rests solely in TPTW's court.

I was thinking a bit about this OOC business especially regarding John. When exactly has he been out of character? Well, IMHO, he was extremely OOC when he didn't go back to get Elizabeth the first time no matter what his orders were. The whole set up from day one on his character was that he had a tendency to disobey orders and he didn't leave people behind. Look what he did in the pilot and he barely knew any of those people. Yet 3 years later we are supposed to believe that because Carter wouldn't let him, he just didn't even try to go get Elizabeth. Please.

As far as dark!John in S4-5 goes, I think that has been perfectly in character considering the progression of events. Look at what RCC said about Vegas!John and his relationship to our John.

Spoiler:
                I found it really interesting to look at the Sheppard character from a different perspective — the kind of perspective sci-fi can give you. It let us explore Sheppard in a way we could not have done any other way and maybe understand who our Sheppard is a little better as a result.
                This was a tragedy. The hero always dies at the end of a tragedy. It’s a dark story about a lonely man with a broken past who sees a chance to be a hero and possibly end his life-long pain. I don’t think every version of Sheppard would be this heroic. I think Rodney’s point was that this reality is very similar to one in which a version Sheppard he met was heroic. The fun of AU is the variation and similarity. Some people obviously don’t like tragedies.

The dark turn in John's demeanor was planned and it was for the same reason in both these universes.
                Word, word, WORD! You've stated it perfectly. TPTW may have forced Sheppard to act OOC when they didn't let him go back for Elizabeth, but at least they've let him act very much in-character in the aftermath of her loss. And when she's dangled in front of him like a carrot then snatched away again... and again... and again...

Comment

I haven't seen seasons 3 and 4 . So, I can't really comment on how dark and more self-contrained John became, but I have been roaming across the Gateworld forums and I've been surprised by how many posters agree with this assessment. There are also a good number of posts complaining about the loss of Weir and how it took something away from the show, almost as if it was the beginning of the end.

Comment

They could have easily solved this problem with a line we went but she wasn't there anymore or they weren't there anymore.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
                    Because he lost someone he was in love with. Although it's not because they couldn't just that they wouldn't because of the nature of SGA. I'm trying to be objective here but the parallel is so obvious, I just think of sparky. In Vegas John lost someone he was in love with, and killed a whole bunch of people (by accident) and his life went to s h i t. In our Atlantis it wasn't so bad and did lose a fellow soldier/friend but he was able to still move on be our John. What would have become of our John if he didn't find Atlantis. I don't know but I don't really think he would have been like Vegas John. Not that bad anyways. The point is that we do see glimpses of Vegas John in our John after he loses Elizabeth. It's just so awesome. John lives because he has Atlantis.

I'm hearing all this talk about how SGU will be different and how they will actually show feeling O_O. I'm just sad that tptb didn't feel like they could do this with SGA and just stuck with formula. Vegas showed that they could do something different and it was good. I just wish they would have had that mindset throughout all of SGA.
                    sigpic
                    My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerbud View Post
                      I haven't seen seasons 3 and 4 . So, I can't really comment on how dark and more self-contrained John became, but I have been roaming across the Gateworld forums and I've been surprised by how many posters agree with this assessment. There are also a good number of posts complaining about the loss of Weir and how it took something away from the show, almost as if it was the beginning of the end.
                      We've been surprised by it too. Not that it's happening, but that TPTW are just so clueless about their own audience that they're apparently ignoring it.

But it's really heartening to see that we're not the only fans who think that the loss of Weir really was the beginning of the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruined_puzzle View Post
                        They could have easily solved this problem with a line we went but she wasn't there anymore or they weren't there anymore.
                        Which would then raise the questions of what happened to her, where is she now, etc. Ah, the angst potential.

Spoiler:
                        Because he lost someone he was in love with. Although it's not because they couldn't just that they wouldn't because of the nature of SGA. I'm trying to be objective here but the parallel is so obvious, I just think of sparky. In Vegas John lost someone he was in love with, and killed a whole bunch of people (by accident) and his life went to s h i t. In our Atlantis it wasn't so bad and did lose a fellow soldier/friend but he was able to still move on be our John. What would have become of our John if he didn't find Atlantis. I don't know but I don't really think he would have been like Vegas John. Not that bad anyways. The point is that we do see glimpses of Vegas John in our John after he loses Elizabeth. It's just so awesome. John lives because he has Atlantis.
                        That bolded line? Is brilliant.

I'm hearing all this talk about how SGU will be different and how they will actually show feeling O_O. I'm just sad that tptb didn't feel like they could do this with SGA and just stuck with formula. Vegas showed that they could do something different and it was good. I just wish they would have had that mindset throughout all of SGA.
                        Honestly, I think it'll turn out to be empty words. They've been stuck in a rut of not doing real character development, not showing the impact of the characters' relationships with each other and when those relationships are torn apart by death, for so long, I'm not sure they can climb out of it, except for rare instances like Vegas. It's the same people in charge, up to their same old tricks.

Comment

We've been surprised by it too. Not that it's happening, but that TPTW are just so clueless about their own audience that they're apparently ignoring it.

But it's really heartening to see that we're not the only fans who think that the loss of Weir really was the beginning of the end.
                          RCC seems to see the lost potential. I wonder if they would ask Torri to come back to reprise her role. Imagine the uptick in the sales of the DVD if the fanbase for Elizabeth and Torri came back in full. It's interesting if the studio hasn't signed anyone yet. Maybe, they are still figuring out what story they want to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerbud View Post
                            RCC seems to see the lost potential. I wonder if they would ask Torri to come back to reprise her role. Imagine the uptick in the sales of the DVD if the fanbase for Elizabeth and Torri came back in full. It's interesting if the studio hasn't signed anyone yet. Maybe, they are still figuring out what story they want to tell.
                            JM is writing the movie. Ugh so I don't expect anything. I just need consistent distant, sad Shep and I'm good.
                            sigpic
                            My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

Which would then raise the questions of what happened to her, where is she now, etc. Ah, the angst potential.

That bolded line? Is brilliant.

Honestly, I think it'll turn out to be empty words. They've been stuck in a rut of not doing real character development, not showing the impact of the characters' relationships with each other and when those relationships are torn apart by death, for so long, I'm not sure they can climb out of it, except for rare instances like Vegas. It's the same people in charge, up to their same old tricks.
                              Yeah, I'm very skeptical too. Maybe they have the desire, but don't have the talent. I really don't know why SGA deteriorated after about 2 and half seasons. SG-1 was quite good for a long time.

Comment

JM is writing the movie. Ugh so I don't expect anything. I just need consistent distant, sad Shep and I'm good.
                                Oh ********! He hates Elizabeth and sparky. Oh well. I agree. Hope JF doesn't change his line of thinking and continues ot play Sheppard as the dark, moody anti-hero.
                                Last edited by Flowerbud; 19 January 2009, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X