Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perkin127 View Post
    hi guys was just wondering, how did the name sparky come about, was it just the sparks that flew when they were together
    The "official" explanation, from the Sheppard/Weir Ship comm on LJ:

First off, many new S/W fans have asked where the term "Sparky" came from with regards to Sheppard/Weir. This explaination was written by Jackie, a moderator at The Affinity Forum. It includes a link to the very first usage (a joke, I might add) for Sparky on the S/W Yahoogroup:

Some may wonder why the name "Sparky" came about for the John/Elizabeth pairing.

This is the first use of Sparky as a name for the relationship.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sheppa...ir/message/345

Once upon a time, back when the Sheppard_n_Weir mailing list first began, Nos, A.j., and Little Red (the list mum and mods) were pondering a name for the pairing in order to stem the tide of the much feared smushy names (a.k.a. 'Shweir' or 'Johnabeth'). After some discussion, Nos decided to call it "Sparky." As you can see in the above link, it was for totally random reasons. Basically, it was a joke.

However, the name caught on, and what started out as something silly soon became a LEGEND shrouded in mystery among Stargate Atlantis fans. Today, people use "Sparky" without knowing how it came to be - they've gone so far as to invent reasons like "they're electric" and "someone used it in a J/E fic and it caught on" - some, like the former, seem reasonable, while others, like the latter, are what we folks call an "urban legend." The creator herself (Nos) even forgot who invented it, but upon research soon discovered her rightful place as the creator of "Sparky."

Since then, Pooh, Rose, and I have invented names for other pairings. "Spanky" is for Ronon/Teyla, and "Snappy" is for Rodney/Radek. Apparently, some other groups may be nicknaming their favorite pairings similarly, so don't be surprised if the Lantis fandom is flooded with "S---y" nicknames.
    Hope that helps!
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by hopalong View Post
      Ah, the eternal debate. Please keep in mind the following is just my personal opinion.

TPTW were never going to write Sparky. Never. Despite Elizabeth being a civilian, there are regulation preventing her and John from having a relationship while they were in those positions on the Exhibition team (sorta like Janeway/Chakotay) Not to mention that it would follow the S/J angst arc, and I have a feeling they didn't want to go that route again. Makes for good UST, but ultimately unsatisfying for viewers who would be "Not again..." (okay, that's a rationale, not my opinion)
      *nods* Which is ironic, since those same regulations would also prevent John and Teyla from getting together. Funny how that works.

And while Torri may have seen Sparky and even liked it, I don't think Joe did. In fact, I remember reading in the Stargate magazine that his interpretation for the way John reacted to hearing about Teyla's pregnancy was that he was jealous. He was jealous because he liked her and she had a relationship with another man. (but not in a stalkery way).
      I do remember JoeF saying that John was jealous, but as I recall, he never specified exactly what John was jealous of. I think there was even a discussion here of Joe's comments at the time, and we all thought it was possible that John could've been jealous because he couldn't have a relationship with anyone (whether it was Elizabeth, Teyla, or someone else).

Can I be seen as a 'rational shipper'?
      Absolutely! I try to be rational... I use logic to rationalize why Sparky rocks.
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
        When I started watching it was at the end of Season 3, I caught up with all 3 seasons not knowing that the season about to start (Season 4) would write out Elizabeth. When I saw "First Strike" I assumed it was the same as it is with most 'leader in peril' scenarios where they were injuring Elizabeth for a tense season finale-to-premiere after which she would recover.

Imagine my surprise when I started visiting Gateworld and found out they really WERE writing out Elizabeth. Talk about going from diehard fan to skeptic in the span of three weeks.

Congrats on your BCS berths, SK and SR. Ironically, my team, which was preseason number one, is headed to the Capital One bowl to play Michigan State. *hangs head*
        I know what it was like, see I started watching SGA near the end of season 3 as well. Wait, I mean since I started being interested in the show. I was watching SGA from season 1, but I wasn't interested in it at first. I was only 11 at the time when SGA first premired and I had no attention of watching this show. Stargate was more of my dad's show to watch. For he was an original fan of Stargate since the first original Stargate Movie with Kurt Russel and James Spader first came out.

After my beloved show Charmed ended, I was so deppressed and the final episode made me cry in tears. A few months later and it was family night and I had to watch the BORING episode of SGA. But then while I was watcing the episode I believe The Game it was then I was starting to be interested in Stargate. You see at first I was rooting for John and Teyla to be together and I was a Sheyla fan for a few more months afterward. At that time from my perspective I saw Sheppard and Weir relationship as a brother and sister relationship. It wasn't until a month before S4 started when I was catching up on S1-S3 episodes that I was noticing the John and Elizabeth scenes closely that I realized that they had more chemistry together and both of them had a REAL connection when I realized I was cheering for the wrong ship.

It was then I officially converted from being a Sheyla fan to being a SPARKY fan when I decided to join you guys. And after that I found out that my new favorite character was going to be killed of. And to me, that felt like a slap in the face. But it weren't for you guys and your strong faith in Sparky then I would've gone back to being a Sheyla fan *shudders*. You guys are really fun to talk to and for all the activites you guys set up. And for that I'm grateful and I'm PROUD to be a Sparky fan
        Last edited by M-CharmedAlantian; 09 December 2008, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M-CharmedAlantian View Post
          I know what it was like, see I started watching SGA near the end of season 3 as well. Wait, I mean since I started being interested in the show. I was watching SGA from season 1, but I wasn't interested in it at first. I was only 11 at the time when SGA first premired and I had no attention of watching this show. Stargate was more of my dad's show to watch. For he was an original fan of Stargate since the first original Stargate Movie with Kurt Russel and James Spader first came out.

After my beloved show Charmed ended, I was so deppressed and the final episode made me cry in tears. A few months later and it was family night and I had to watch the BORING episode of SGA. But then while I was watcing the episode I believe The Game it was then I was starting to be interested in Stargate. You see at first I was rooting for John and Teyla to be together and I was a Sheyla fan for a few more months afterward. At that time from my perspective I saw Sheppard and Weir relationship as a brother and sister relationship. It wasn't until a month before S4 started when I was catching up on S1-S3 episodes that I was noticing the John and Elizabeth scenes closely that I realized that they had more chemistry together and both of them had a REAL connection when I realized I was cheering for the wrong ship.

It was then I officially converted from being a Sheyla fan to being a SPARKY fan when I decided to join you guys. And after that I found out that my new favorite character was going to be killed of. And to me, that felt like a slap in the face. But it weren't for you guys and your strong faith in Sparky then I would've gone back to being a Sheyla fan *shudders*. You guys are really fun to talk to and for all the activites you guys set up. And for that I'm grateful and I'm PROUD to be a Sparky fan
          And we're proud to have you. You also exhibit qualities of a "rational" shipper. You know what works when you see it. As do we all, no matter what TPTW intended.
          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Is is Your Sparky Storytime tonight?

Well, I began catching up on SGA when I heard JS was going to be on the show because I like her on Firefly. (Most of you know what I think of her here, so I won't bother.) So I started out with s1. Now, the cave scene was FUNNY, so cliche I wondered what I was getting into, but I decided to try to go with Sheyla since they seemed to be the intended ship. I liked John and Lizzie -- but I pretty much pushed them to the back of my mind and took in all the Sheyla I could absorb.

Though, after "The Eye" and subsequent episodes, I realised I wasn't as much into Sheyla as I'd like to me. I actually considered making a music video for them but then I thought it would be pretty bland given that when brainstorming their scenes together none were too interesting. So I moved on through the season, still trying to ignore Sparky and still trying to get into Sheyla because of it's supposed canon-ness despite seeing the S/W connection in 'The Eye'.

But I never really got into Sheyla. I wasn't here for the big ship wars. I ended up liking Carson/Teyla while still trying to ship John/Teyla on the side. But I liked Sparky. By the time s4 arrived, I was pretty pissy. I resorted to the Ant s4 threads with Anuna, SR, etc. But I was still trying to be Sheyla. I said I like Sheyla halfheartedly but only because I didn't want to be disappointed some more.

But then I realised I was pissy about Sparky too especially with 'Adrift' and 'Lifeline'. So I converted -- except I was really never a Sheyla to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post

Well, I began catching up on SGA when I heard JS was going to be on the show because I like her on Firefly. (Most of you know what I think of her here, so I won't bother.) So I started out with s1. Now, the cave scene was FUNNY, so cliche I wondered what I was getting into, but I decided to try to go with Sheyla since they seemed to be the intended ship. I liked John and Lizzie -- but I pretty much pushed them to the back of my mind and took in all the Sheyla I could absorb.

Though, after "The Eye" and subsequent episodes, I realised I wasn't as much into Sheyla as I'd like to me. I actually considered making a music video for them but then I thought it would be pretty bland given that when brainstorming their scenes together none were too interesting. So I moved on through the season, still trying to ignore Sparky and still trying to get into Sheyla because of it's supposed canon-ness despite seeing the S/W connection in 'The Eye'.

But I never really got into Sheyla. I wasn't here for the big ship wars. I ended up liking Carson/Teyla while still trying to ship John/Teyla on the side. But I liked Sparky. By the time s4 arrived, I was pretty pissy. I resorted to the Ant s4 threads with Anuna, SR, etc. But I was still trying to be Sheyla. I said I like Sheyla halfheartedly but only because I didn't want to be disappointed some more.

But then I realised I was pissy about Sparky too especially with 'Adrift' and 'Lifeline'. So I converted -- except I was really never a Sheyla to begin with.
              LOL.

Best story evah!!
              sigpic
              My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

And while Torri may have seen Sparky and even liked it, I don't think Joe did. In fact, I remember reading in the Stargate magazine that his interpretation for the way John reacted to hearing about Teyla's pregnancy was that he was jealous. He was jealous because he liked her and she had a relationship with another man. (but not in a stalkery way).

Okay, I was going to say something else, but I can't remember what it was now. Oh well, it may come back to me.

Can I be seen as a 'rational shipper'?
                Nah I don't think Joe will ever admit how much pro - sparky he was. I think the guy is smart enough not to fuel ship wars further (but that con "kiss" was definitely something to talk about, lol. I wonder how sheylas reacted back then?) He did say things about not wanting to do a soap love stories in Stargate and there was something about friction, conflicts and things like that.... and it could have been sparky - interpreted as far as I remember? Does anyone have that quote?

But the guy was a big supporter of Torri and the only one from the cast who spoke up when she was written out. That says something, plus all the scenes from S4 and S5 and how he acted them? I don't need him to say he John was sad, no further explanation is needed.

Also, one can feel jealousy about number of things. I never remember Joe saying he acted jealous because John decidedly liked Teyla in S4. Poor thing probably has trouble figuring out what John thinks, because of all those high quality scripts.
                I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                  Nah I don't think Joe will ever admit how much pro - sparky he was. I think the guy is smart enough not to fuel ship wars further (but that con "kiss" was definitely something to talk about, lol. I wonder how sheylas reacted back then?) He did say things about not wanting to do a soap love stories in Stargate and there was something about friction, conflicts and things like that.... and it could have been sparky - interpreted as far as I remember? Does anyone have that quote?

But the guy was a big supporter of Torri and the only one from the cast who spoke up when she was written out. That says something, plus all the scenes from S4 and S5 and how he acted them? I don't need him to say he John was sad, no further explanation is needed.

Also, one can feel jealousy about number of things. I never remember Joe saying he acted jealous because John decidedly liked Teyla in S4. Poor thing probably has trouble figuring out what John thinks, because of all those high quality scripts.
                  *snickers* I do recall hearing that Joe said he was told (when he was auditioning for Sheppard or maybe just after he got the part) that they were going to be writing Sheppard/Teyla. I'm sure that at least at first, that early knowledge was guiding his answers to fans. But when Sheppard/Teyla ended up being abandoned in Seasons 4 and 5 in favor of Teyla/Kanaan, Joe was left high and dry for what to tell the fans.

Add to that how the whole fiasco with Torri getting thrown under the bus really pissed off Joe. After the comments he's made about it, I could certainly see him making the decision in his own mind that since Sheppard/Teyla wasn't going to happen and his other leading lady had just been booted off in what amounted to a "publicity stunt" (Joe's own words, according to one con report), then he'd just go ahead and start playing it as Sheppard/Weir, regardless of whether or not it was in the script, as his way of sticking it to TPTW. Or maybe that's just my snarky side rearing it's head again.

Comment

Pops head in

Sees discussion that looks really interesting but dammit dont have the time to join in

Was watching this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC7eJbpz8bo
                    (its the Say Goodbye/Skillet/John & Elizabeth vid - I don't know how to do the whole overwrite the address thing and I have pimped it before)

and it ocurred to me that Sparky makes me sad for a number of reasons. Mostly because after all that, they never really ended up together (stop with the TMC, GitM; I mean they didn't 'hook up'), but also because generally in fan fiction it means that Rodney ends up alone. Rodney sees the 'spark' but never ends up with one for himself. His two best friends live happily ever after, but he just ends up alone. Lalalalala ignores McSmeller
                    sigpic

Comment

Now that shows some good decision making skills right there. I kinda did the same thing, only much earlier. After he ignored Teyla in Home when she was right there looking all interested and guzzling sipping beer even if it was the wrong brand, I was pretty much done with that ship. Plus she just got on my last nerve.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                      Pops head in

Sees discussion that looks really interesting but dammit dont have the time to join in

Was watching this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC7eJbpz8bo
                      (its the Say Goodbye/Skillet/John & Elizabeth vid - I don't know how to do the whole overwrite the address thing and I have pimped it before)

and it ocurred to me that Sparky makes me sad for a number of reasons. Mostly because after all that, they never really ended up together (stop with the TMC, GitM; I mean they didn't 'hook up'), but also because generally in fan fiction it means that Rodney ends up alone. Rodney sees the 'spark' but never ends up with one for himself. His two best friends live happily ever after, but he just ends up alone. Lalalalala ignores McSmeller
                      Sparky has got to be one of the best angsty ships ever. Even in Moonlight
                      Spoiler:
                      it was clear that they would end up together.
                      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                        *snickers* I do recall hearing that Joe said he was told (when he was auditioning for Sheppard or maybe just after he got the part) that they were going to be writing Sheppard/Teyla. I'm sure that at least at first, that early knowledge was guiding his answers to fans. But when Sheppard/Teyla ended up being abandoned in Seasons 4 and 5 in favor of Teyla/Kanaan, Joe was left high and dry for what to tell the fans.

Add to that how the whole fiasco with Torri getting thrown under the bus really pissed off Joe. After the comments he's made about it, I could certainly see him making the decision in his own mind that since Sheppard/Teyla wasn't going to happen and his other leading lady had just been booted off in what amounted to a "publicity stunt" (Joe's own words, according to one con report), then he'd just go ahead and start playing it as Sheppard/Weir, regardless of whether or not it was in the script, as his way of sticking it to TPTW. Or maybe that's just my snarky side rearing it's head again.
                        "Publicity stunt"? That sounds interesting...

Comment

Joe always had an amusing way of explaining things. I don't bother too much with what actors think, do or say, I'm not that kind of a fan, but what I like (and admire) is Joe's integrity and the fact that he spoke up and said what was done to Torri was wrong, and we could see he disagreed.

In my opinion the whole thing must have been bad. I doubt Joe would say all those things if everything was so professional like JM wants us to believe. So pro sparky or not (and I think he can see and understand sparky, although he probably prefers doing cool things, because he's a guy and guys are like that, lol) I'm glad he played John and John's reactions to Elizabeth the way he did. I'm afraid to think how the whole thing would look if he didn't.

Most of the time these characters act like they have multiple mental health issues, at least Joe gave his character a personality that's recognizable (and quite fascinating), and by doing that he made sure Elizabeth Weir (and his co star Torri Higginson) wouldn't be forgotten. And that's an amazing thing.

Comment

Originally posted by M-CharmedAlantian View Post

Those are both interesting perspectives. Particularly because you gave Sheyla the benefit of the doubt first, then got switched. I think that's a testament to how people aren't 'seeing things'.

When I first tuned into SGA it was because some friends on LJ (when I could still access it!) got me interested, so I randomly turned it on in syndication and on Sci-Fi. Here are the episodes I ended up watching in order: Sunday, First Strike, The Lost Boys, The Hive, The Long Goodbye. *snickers*

Why did I keep watching?

In those shows, I liked pretty much everyone. At the time, a new HD channel, Universal High Def, started playing SGA Season 1 from the beginning. So, I started watching. When I saw "38 Minutes" and the ending scene I was intrigued.

Then I got to "The Storm". It was a mini-cliffhanger for me, because I had to wait a week for the resolve. When I saw Weir get set up to be shot, and Sheppard screaming at Kolya, I thought 'this will be interesting'. But I figured Kolya would stand down and that Sheppard would give himself up to protect Weir and Rodney. 'There's no way,' I thought, 'that he would really shoot her.'

Never occurred to me he'd pretend to shoot her. And then John's reaction! WOW! I was absolutely hooked at that point. From then on, Weir fan, John fan and SGA fan. I try not to ship most shows if I can help it, but I was closet Sparky there, then gave into officially Sparky when I joined the forums and met most of the Sparkies here.

Hopalong, I think you're right--they never intended to write Sparky as a full-fledged romance. Neither of the actors wanted it to be that way, either and I don't blame them--when you're trying to develop an intellectual, complex character, as these two actors tried valiantly to do, I think the idea of mushy romance kinda scares you. But there is more than one way to define Sparky. I never expected the full-fledged romance (unless it happened in the final episode). I wanted the closest connection in the show to be between the two of them, and with the show ending as it is, I think I got that. The actors contributed significantly to that. Is the relationship clear-cut and easy to define--like a Disney story? No--but I like it that way. That's the mental depth I wanted out of them.

Now, the 'Sparky Memories' discussion prompts me to ask--what scene/point did you go all in for Sparky? I'm not talking about the little hints early on, or the stuff you saw where you went 'I like their connection' or 'I like them as a couple, I think they'll be my couple'. I'm talking about the moment where you went 'THEY ARE SO AWESOME TOGETHER!'

Mine (there are two) was John's reaction to her 'death' in The Eye and the subsequent stand-off scene between he and Kolya where he rescues her. Oh, I was trying not to ship but I couldn't help it; that was squee-worthy. Still my favorite episodes.
                            Last edited by Eri13; 10 December 2008, 07:06 AM.
                            Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

My THEY ARE AWESOME TOGETHER moment was the hug, and pretty much the complete Siege trilogy. Early season two, especially Conversion solidified me as a sparky fan.

And yes, I am happy with Sparky the way it turned out to be. They have the connection. They don't need I love yous, not necessarily. The way they look at each other speaks louder than words. No other SGA ship has that.

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                                Now, the 'Sparky Memories' discussion prompts me to ask--what scene/point did you go all in for Sparky? I'm not talking about the little hints early on, or the stuff you saw where you went 'I like their connection' or 'I like them as a couple, I think they'll be my couple'. I'm talking about the moment where you went 'THEY ARE SO AWESOME TOGETHER!'
                                "Weir is dead."
                                "I. WILL. kill. you."

Nal= @.@ "Shep is broken. He's honestly broken. He's snapped. He's gone. He's blood thirsty. Daaang. He really does value her. I LIKE this angst! I LIKE this ship! To heck with Teyla. That was never interesting anyway!"
                                "Scientists say juggling is good for the brain....Or...was that...Jelllll-o?

Comment

Working...
                                X