Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for all of your messages of support

Spoiler:
    Things are looking a bit grim in Christchurch at the moment. Buildings have collapsed, power is out to large sections of the city, water mains have ruptured causing water and sewage to flow down the street whilst firefighters run low on it. Liquifaction has been a serious problem, as it was last time. Severe structural damage has been limited to the CBD, whilst houses in the suburbs are technical write-offs. In Lyttleton, where the epicentre was, volcanic rock tumbled down the slopes, causing damage to many buildings and killing some individuals. The city's tallest building is going to collapse later tonight. People are having to camp in parks, or are just fleeing the city altogether. Rescue attempts have been called off in some buildings, partly due to a judgement call on survivability, and in part because of the perilous state of said buildings.

The Prime Minister has declared a national state of emergency. Assistance has been pouring in from overseas. Stories are coming in now of people who have had to be de-limbed in order to be rescued, while others have suffered from auto-amputation.

On the plus side, had it been ten minutes later, even more people would have been back in their offices. And the Army was doing a training exercise in Christchurch at the time. Plus the USAF had personel here too. And our civil defence procedures have been honed since the last 'event'.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Eyes View Post
      Gosh, she sounds like one of us! LOL Love how she just talks with the people in the crowd.

Be proud of your guilty pleasures! I have to admit that I love
      Spoiler:
      The Vampire Diaries
      and I'm so far from the target group of that show it isn't even funny. I do have faith in Castle. So far it hasn't taken a wrong turn.

So glad to see you here and that you're okay!

Truer words were never spoken.

Thank you so much for posting this. I'm always on the lookout for good sources.

My pet peeve is lose(r) vs. loose(r). My brother's is rogue vs. rouge. I guess that one is found on WoW a lot.

LMAO! I'm just imagining you saying this!
      We share a pet peeve. When I was researching grammar books for my article I found a review on Amazon from someone who went on about how inaccurate the book was. They misused lose/loose. I had to LOL.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post

Spoiler:
      Things are looking a bit grim in Christchurch at the moment. Buildings have collapsed, power is out to large sections of the city, water mains have ruptured causing water and sewage to flow down the street whilst firefighters run low on it. Liquifaction has been a serious problem, as it was last time. Severe structural damage has been limited to the CBD, whilst houses in the suburbs are technical write-offs. In Lyttleton, where the epicentre was, volcanic rock tumbled down the slopes, causing damage to many buildings and killing some individuals. The city's tallest building is going to collapse later tonight. People are having to camp in parks, or are just fleeing the city altogether. Rescue attempts have been called off in some buildings, partly due to a judgement call on survivability, and in part because of the perilous state of said buildings.

The Prime Minister has declared a national state of emergency. Assistance has been pouring in from overseas. Stories are coming in now of people who have had to be de-limbed in order to be rescued, while others have suffered from auto-amputation.

On the plus side, had it been ten minutes later, even more people would have been back in their offices. And the Army was doing a training exercise in Christchurch at the time. Plus the USAF had personel here too. And our civil defence procedures have been honed since the last 'event'.
      Wow. It's good to get a first hand account. Stay safe buddy.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
        I can give it a try. I've never done that before.
        LOL!!!
        I hope to have a fic ready by Mon, so you have some time to think about it. I realize RL may not allow you the time and I kind of harpooned you I have someone else who can be a grammar nazi, but they don't know SGA very well.

LOL- Well, at least it fits with our eternal optimism. They killed Kenny! Nope, there he is again.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post

Spoiler:

I find it so frustrating to be unable to do something tangible to help; I wish there was something I could do. Kudos to SR's community, that's great that they are going to aid in relief efforts. Gateraid, thanks for the updates, I can't imagine how you must feel. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

SR- I resent the LJ request. The error may have been my fault. I don't know if this would have caused it, but I updated my email on the account and didn't confirm the change until this morning. Hopefully, it will work today
        Last edited by Zandra's Ashes; 23 February 2011, 03:58 PM.
        sigpic
        Thanks to Copter for my signature art!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

Speaking of screwing the angst...

Originally posted by Zandra's Ashes View Post
          LOL- Well, at least it fits with our eternal optimism. They killed Kenny! Nope, there he is again.
          LOL! I don't know whether to be amused or appalled at the suggestion that Elizabeth is SGA's answer to Kenny.

gateraid, stay safe and hang in there, buddy. We're all thinking of you. *big hugs*

Gosh, she sounds like one of us! LOL Love how she just talks with the people in the crowd.
          Isn't she great? Torri is so approachable and so much fun to watch in any setting.

Truer words were never spoken.
          Yup. Some are definitely better than others. Sadly, Stargate is not one of the former.

LMAO! I'm just imagining you saying this!
          You think that was good? Wait'll you see the next couple of days, LOL!
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
            Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

Speaking of screwing the angst...

LOL! I don't know whether to be amused or appalled at the suggestion that Elizabeth is SGA's answer to Kenny.
            Ok, now I'm appalled, I really didn't think that comment through, did I? LOL.
            sigpic

Comment

I hope to have a fic ready by Mon, so you have some time to think about it. I realize RL may not allow you the time and I kind of harpooned you I have someone else who can be a grammar nazi, but they don't know SGA very well.
              Harpoon? What are you Kolya now?

LOL- Well, at least it fits with our eternal optimism. They killed Kenny! Nope, there he is again
              HOW COULD YOU THNK SUCH A THING SPARKY WOULDNT HURT A FLY!!!!! Actually that is not entirely true, John killed Fifty Genii.

Elizabeth was probably the one who killed Kolya dressed as John for hurting her Sheppy Poo. And John wants to royally kick Oberoth's ass for taking his Elizabeth (and Anne in the crossover)....

Or did we establish that Oberoth is good for getting Anne out of the picture making way for a lovely Sparky rekindling! *rubs hands together*

Now every time I watch Lifeline I am just gonna pretend Anne was left there and Sparky went home and had dessert.
              BALCONIES
              The Breeding Ground of Ships.
              sigpic

Comment

I find it so frustrating to be unable to do something tangible to help; I wish there was something I could do. Kudos to SR's community, that's great that they are going to aid in relief efforts. Gateraid, thanks for the updates, I can't imagine how you must feel. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

SR- I resent the LJ request. The error may have been my fault. I don't know if this would have caused it, but I updated my email on the account and didn't confirm the change until this morning. Hopefully, it will work today
                Got the request and approved. You should be good to go. Lots to read on that comm if you want to see how the sausage was made. LOL
                sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Thanks for the info! And you totally should create that thread! I've seen some weird ship combos that have their own threads. Kate/Teyla at least makes sense!
                  I might... it's just that it would be collecting virtual dust.

Hah! Do it! I dare you!
                  I shoulda known you would...

Edit - later that same day

Kate Heightmeyer/Teyla Emmagan Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

And don't forget to look at the tags - especially you Scary Kitty.
                  Last edited by Falcon Horus; 23 February 2011, 10:44 AM.
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Gee, do we need to start an "Oberoth Thunk Thread?"
                    Perhaps an Oberoth whump thread? I wouldn't mind hurting him a bit.

It wouldn't surprise me at all. We all know how snarky Joe can be.
                    Reason #847221 why I love him. Snark is wonderful.

I have a fic rec that is more humor than snark. It's mostly gen, but it has Sparky undertones.
                    This is our Festival by Wolf Maid.

Be proud of your guilty pleasures! I have to admit that I love
                    Spoiler:
                    The Vampire Diaries
                    and I'm so far from the target group of that show it isn't even funny. I do have faith in Castle. So far it hasn't taken a wrong turn.
                    I watched that show when it first started, but then it was on at the same time as another show (maybe Bones) and I lost track of it.

I'll give it a shot. I shouldn't be busy next week. The week after that, RL's going to become insane for me taking care of my elderly people. But anyway... I'll try to send you a message in GW using that inbox thing, to give you my email address.

Well, versions of Elizabeth died 4 times (BIS, Lifeline, TMC, GitM). It's almost like they enjoyed killing her.

Comment

Perhaps an Oberoth whump thread? I wouldn't mind hurting him a but.
                      If you guys make a Oberoth Thunk/Whump Thread......I will make a Kolya thunk thread.
                      BALCONIES
                      The Breeding Ground of Ships.
                      sigpic

Comment

Ok, now I'm appalled, I really didn't think that comment through, did I? LOL.
                        *snickers* But in a way, it's all too true. See JT-2's comment below...

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                        Got the request and approved. You should be good to go. Lots to read on that comm if you want to see how the sausage was made. LOL
                        Sausage? *splorfles*

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

*cackles in evil glee*

Perhaps an Oberoth whump thread? I wouldn't mind hurting him a bit.
                        More than a bit, methinks... I'd like to see that SOB try to survive being at ground zero of a nuclear explosion. *evil grin*

Reason #847221 why I love him. Snark is wonderful.

I have a fic rec that is more humor than snark. It's mostly gen, but it has Sparky undertones.
                        This is our Festival by Wolf Maid.
                        Oh wow, that is a GREAT fic! Really captures the sense that in Atlantis, 'team' means everyone, not just Sheppard's team. Awesome!

Well, versions of Elizabeth died 4 times (BIS, Lifeline, TMC, GitM). It's almost like they enjoyed killing her.
                        *snorts* Curse them. Of course, that's why I pointed out the comparison.

Originally posted by TheLadyMore View Post
                        If you guys make a Oberoth Thunk/Whump Thread......I will make a Kolya thunk thread.
                        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Okay, it's meme time!

Day the Twenty-Third: Saddest character death
                          Elizabeth's NOT dead, so she doesn't qualify for this one. I'm torn between Carson and Kate. Both deaths were totally unnecessary and just depressed the snot outta me. I don't like pointless deaths. Death that is necessary to furthering the plot, such as the death of a mentor figure pushing the hero to commit fully to the cause and see it through to its end, is one thing. (Thank you, Joseph Campbell!) But pointless, needless death is STUPID and indicative of a lack of imagination on the part of the writer.

Comment

Oh wow, that is a GREAT fic! Really captures the sense that in Atlantis, 'team' means everyone, not just Sheppard's team. Awesome!
                            Yes!! Now that's what Sunday should have been like. My favorite line is
                            Spoiler:
                            "McKay was absurdly proud of Sheppard. Hitting Kavanagh would've turned ugly, but humiliating the man mathematically? Fantastic."

Cause, you know, math is good. As is John defending Lizzie's honor.

Okay, it's meme time!

Elizabeth's NOT dead, so she doesn't qualify for this one. I'm torn between Carson and Kate. Both deaths were totally unnecessary and just depressed the snot outta me. I don't like pointless deaths. Death that is necessary to furthering the plot, such as the death of a mentor figure pushing the hero to commit fully to the cause and see it through to its end, is one thing. (Thank you, Joseph Campbell!) But pointless, needless death is STUPID and indicative of a lack of imagination on the part of the writer.
                            Agreed!! Reading TPTB's comments about how it's realistic and shows the main characters are in danger? Huh? If you wanted realism, then wouldn't John or someone in team Sheppard have died by now? Not that I want that to happen! That's not what I'm saying. But people who put their lives on the line all the time seem more likely to die than a psychologist, medical doctor, or expedition head.

I'm looking for a fic I read a long time ago, and have been unable to find since. Cameron Mitchell comes to Atlantis and becomes friendly with both John and Elizabeth. Later John gets very jealous when he finds out that Cameron and Elizabeth are dating. John and Elizabeth get tied to a totem pole and try to talk out their differences. In the end the totem pole ends up being brought back to Atlantis. Anybody know the story I'm talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                              Sausage...*giggles and clears throat*

Wow! SGA Rising writers and contributors- I can not believe the amount of work you've done and the research you've compiled. Amazing. *cheers* I loved the character bios (love John- not very huggy!) and I'm only half way through the Timeline link. I will be unproductive for days...and I've so much to do.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

*Cheer again* So glad you did this! I will come visit!

Okay, it's meme time!

Grrrr. It's just plain mean if you ask me. It makes me think they just don't love us at all. Oh wait, that's right. We've already established that.

Spoiler:
                              "McKay was absurdly proud of Sheppard. Hitting Kavanagh would've turned ugly, but humiliating the man mathematically? Fantastic."

Agreed!! Reading TPTB's comments about how it's realistic and shows the main characters are in danger? Huh? If you wanted realism, then wouldn't John or someone in team Sheppard have died by now? Not that I want that to happen! That's not what I'm saying. But people who put their lives on the line all the time seem more likely to die than a psychologist, medical doctor, or expedition head.

I'm looking for a fic I read a long time ago, and have been unable to find since. Cameron Mitchell comes to Atlantis and becomes friendly with both John and Elizabeth. Later John gets very jealous when he finds out that Cameron and Elizabeth are dating. John and Elizabeth get tied to a totem pole and try to talk out their differences. In the end the totem pole ends up being brought back to Atlantis. Anybody know the story I'm talking about?
                              I'm not familiar with that fic, but please share if you find it!

And funny OT for the Castle (and Chiplotle) fans:

Spoiler:
                              From Twitter:
                              NathanFillion
                              “@captdope: Just ordered Chipotle for pick up on my iPhone.
                              sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

OMG, I LOVED that line! John isn't all brawn, he's brains, too!

*snorts* Every time I hear/read TPTW's comments about how it's realistic to kill characters, I want to counter with asking if they think the rescue of those 33 miners in Chile was unrealistic. Or if they think that perfect landing of Flight 1549 on the Hudson River and all 155 people on board surviving was unrealistic. Guess what, TPTW? Miracles ARE realistic! Stop being afraid to write about them!

Sausage...*giggles and clears throat*

Wow! SGA Rising writers and contributors- I can not believe the amount of work you've done and the research you've compiled. Amazing. *cheers* I loved the character bios (love John- not very huggy!) and I'm only half way through the Timeline link. I will be unproductive for days...and I've so much to do.
                                *bows* We want to do this right, and that means, research, research, and more research. But it's all in the name of a good cause.

Grrrr. It's just plain mean if you ask me. It makes me think they just don't love us at all. Oh wait, that's right. We've already established that.
                                *snerks*

And funny OT for the Castle (and Chiplotle) fans:

Spoiler:
                                From Twitter:
                                NathanFillion
                                “@captdope: Just ordered Chipotle for pick up on my iPhone.
                                Yay, Chipotle app!

Comment

Working...
                                X