No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See, but I never got how Sheyla was regarded as the official ship. It began that way, but how can they still see it as an official ship with Teyla being happily together with Kanaan and having a son from him?

Sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
      See, but I never got how Sheyla was regarded as the official ship. It began that way, but how can they still see it as an official ship with Teyla being happily together with Kanaan and having a son from him?
      It was the official ship because they said it was. Kinda like how Dawson/Joey was the official ship for 5 years until the fans ended up preferring Pacey/Joey at the end and their writers kinda went 'oh...crap...okay. We accept that, we'll change our tune--that's the new official ship.' John/Teyla is still acknowledged as the official ship they were 'writing for' until they had to change the storyline to fit Rachel's pregnancy. Good show etiquette is to not universally deny anything (hence why Shep/Weir never really had anyone come out and say 'never, never NEVER' more like 'we don't really think so') so it will never be said that J/T couldn't happen--but where show canon rests is where show canon rests. Take that as you will. But it works both ways--and honestly, it's probably better. Just keep quiet and let shippers dream the fates for their ships, that's the best policy.
      Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Talking about this gets us in trouble and we always get blamed for being rude whether we are or not.

It was "official" because of statements made by TPTB that Teyla was a "possible love interest" for Sheppard when the show first began. After that, they didn't say much unless asked. Then they were very vague. But Sparky was always denied by everybody. I think the huge Sparky fanbase came as a giant surprise to them and they didn't know what to do with it. JM said on his blog that the number of fans who supported a ship wouldn't make them change their plan. So they had a vision and stuck with it until Rachel got pregnant and they had to scramble. Here's where it gets a little fuzzy, but the word is that Paul Mullie was adamantly against Sheyla and they dropped it. In their minds and in the view of Sheyla shippers, they took steps to develop the ship through the years. They, of course, have a right to their opinion but we see Sparky and that's all that matters.
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Originally posted by Probie View Post
          I hate Tuesdays. I'm not awake. People are not awake. I know I already said this but it's so true. I'm bored. I have nothing to do at my work for once.......4h
          Heh, I'm not awake either. Woke up around 3:30 this morning and haven't been able to get back to sleep since. So if you see me lurching around like a zombie, you know why.

TPTB did a bad job about ships. Here in my wonderful country (lol), we're not influence by them or we didn't know what ship they wanted at the beginning. And when you read a french forum, John/Elizabeth seems to be very obvious because a "no-shipper" can see it. And we have also the french magazines. I always thought John and Elizabeth was the couple.

Time to go. I don't want.......
          I started out as one of those so-called 'casual viewers.' I wasn't plugged into online fandom, and I didn't even have cable when SGA started, so I was watching the show a year behind everyone else up until the S3 DVDs came out and I mainlined 'em in a week to catch up. I never saw the other ship either; I mean, I could see scenes that looked like they were written to be anvils for that ship, but they were badly written anvils, and the actors looked like they were bored and just weren't into it at all. But with Sheppard/Weir, the scripted moments were subtly written and cleverly and enthusiastically played by Joe and Torri. So I thought Sparky was the way it was going and I was shocked when I got online and found out otherwise.

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
          I think here press people are always fed company lines and in terms of TV shows, they're not into burning bridges. I can't think of any shows where the 'non-ship' was ever recognized if it wasn't officially supported by the production company. I don't think it was that they didn't support Sparky, I think it was that they weren't told about it or told it wasn't going to happen (plus, most of them don't watch). Press here doesn't go after fan-supported ships unless it's been officially confirmed or they're writing their own opinion about it (like the bloggers). Doing so is dangerous if they earn the ire of the production company or if they're made to look fools by playing up something that ends up being completely wrong.

EDIT: And that's disregarding love triangles and such--competing ships are still official 'ships'--just one will win out over the other. Different from a ship not acknowledged by the show producers.
          I'd have to agree. Here in the US, it's all about the promotional department machine. It's only very rare exceptions when the fan preference is so huge (and usually the show is one that's on one of the Big Four networks) that the press might take notice.

Although...

What's more, there were moments that not only looked pro-Sparky because of Joe and Torri's performances, but were deliberately written as pro-Sparky teases. Since the producers made the decision to not move forward with that other ship, it is clear that they no longer support it as the "official" ship. But they continued to write scenes that appear to have pro-Sparky slants. So the way I see it, the producers did support Sparky, in a roundabout way.

Don't you just love logic?
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

You're lucky... we get the German and UK magazines here (there are no Belgian/Dutch sci-fi magazines as far as I know) and they are all pro-sheyla. It's the reason I was a sheyla when I started watching SGA and was baffled by the lack of it. Luckily Sparky was obvious and I didn't stay pro-sheyla for long... on the contrary

Too bad your job sucks so much
            My job is excellent! It's just that I'm not awake.lol
            SGA has one article each year in a magazine. Sci fi is not popular BUT when there is an article of SGA, there is a pic of John and Elizabeth or a sentence about how obvious this couple is or how the sexual tension between Ronon and Teyla is big.
            There are many polls where Sparky episodes are first because of them.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
            I really wish Joe and/or Torri would do a con in France and get the full Sparky feedback from the French fans. Sigh. Here I think the general attitude toward ship was split. The official Stargate mag was pro-Sheyla as was TV Guide and some others. The occasional SciFi column writer made a few comments about Sparky if I recall, but mostly they tend to go with what TPTB says in press releases, etc. It makes you wonder how closely they even watch. But then I recall also a rant from some guy after Vegas who was all mad that Vegas!John was gay. So I guess I got my answer. They don't pay much attention at all.
            *faints*
            Just the idea of this.....*speechless*
            I already knew french people are smart. Well I don't say it each day.lol
            sigpic
            Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
              What's more, there were moments that not only looked pro-Sparky because of Joe and Torri's performances, but were deliberately written as pro-Sparky teases. Since the producers made the decision to not move forward with that other ship, it is clear that they no longer support it as the "official" ship. But they continued to write scenes that appear to have pro-Sparky slants. So the way I see it, the producers did support Sparky, in a roundabout way.

Don't you just love logic?
              Hehe, I love the way you think
              And yeah... you have to love logic... clearly tptb are no Vulcans

My job is excellent! It's just that I'm not awake.lol
              SGA has one article each year in a magazine. Sci fi is not popular BUT when there is an article of SGA, there is a pic of John and Elizabeth or a sentence about how obvious this couple is or how the sexual tension between Ronon and Teyla is big.
              There are many polls where Sparky episodes are first because of them.
              Hehe, not being awake at the job sounds familiar
              You just have to box through it... difficult I know
              At least SGA gets articles in France, if you talk about sci-fi in Belgium, they stare at you as if you've just grown a third eye.
              Also the few times they show sci-fi shows on tv here, they either show them close to or somewhere after midnight, or during a weekday on a time that most people are still at work... that's also not really helping to get the genre a bit more popular

Sig by me

Comment

It was "official" because of statements made by TPTB that Teyla was a "possible love interest" for Sheppard when the show first began. After that, they didn't say much unless asked.
                In all the 5 seasons = 100 episodes there was only ONE "other ship" moment IMHO, in Rising (the scene where Sheppard fastens the pendant around her neck) then nothing but friendship.

On the other hand, Sparky moments are countless.

TPTB don't even know how to write an "official" ship, now do they?

I think the huge Sparky fanbase came as a giant surprise to them and they didn't know what to do with it.
                They know nothing about actors chemistry and the characters they play, how's that I'm not surprised?
                Berman & Braga did the same huge mistake in Star Trek Enterprise, killing both the "official" ship and the non-official one.

"How to make the fandom unhappy in a few lessons", that's the tutorial they all learned by heart.
                And I'm not talking only about Sparky.

JM said on his blog that the number of fans who supported a ship wouldn't make them change their plan. So they had a vision and stuck with it until Rachel got pregnant and they had to scramble.
                And that's the punishment for not listening to fanbase. ***** the characters, ***** the series, game over.
                No more Atlantis, thanks to them.

In their minds and in the view of Sheyla shippers, they took steps to develop the ship through the years. They, of course, have a right to their opinion but we see Sparky and that's all that matters.
                Development? What's that? Do they know? I'm not sure ...

In the end, I'm p*ssed because Atlantis had a lot of potential (in general, not only related to Sparky) and they screwed it. Damn it

Comment

Yeah, it is a shame that all the possibilities were just never even developed a little bit. But I think it may be a habit with TPTB. The ratings for SGU reflect IMHO that they haven't learned much.

But we have SS6 to make up for their lack of foresight.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hehe, not being awake at the job sounds familiar
                    You just have to box through it... difficult I know
                    At least SGA gets articles in France, if you talk about sci-fi in Belgium, they stare at you as if you've just grown a third eye.
                    Also the few times they show sci-fi shows on tv here, they either show them close to or somewhere after midnight, or during a weekday on a time that most people are still at work... that's also not really helping to get the genre a bit more popular
                    SGA was broadcast just behind SG1 the friday night. The second season was saturday night and after...nothing. We have to pay a channel to see it. Ratings were not good. BUt the channel was also stupid. DON'T PUT A TV SHOW FRIDAY OR SATURDAY NIGHT! People are with their friends.
                    Why I think you' re german? lol I have a problem with nationality.

Originally posted by nephtys59 View Post
                    In all the 5 seasons = 100 episodes there was only ONE "other ship" moment IMHO, in Rising (the scene where Sheppard fastens the pendant around her neck) then nothing but friendship.
                    Well, this scene ca be shippy but for me it was hilarious. The first time I saw it, I said to me "Here we go, The sexy american warrior will do (sorry) the hot alien". But I will stop here or we will be surrounded by moderators.lol

They had great ideas but they screwed them. It's the same for SGU. Great idea at the beginning but done in a stupid way.

Am I the only one to have problem when I have to quote someone?
                    sigpic

Comment

My curse has hit again - looks like my currently favorite show has been cancelled... *sniff*

I'm talking about Legend of the Seeker.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

SGA was broadcast just behind SG1 the friday night. The second season was saturday night and after...nothing. We have to pay a channel to see it. Ratings were not good. BUt the channel was also stupid. DON'T PUT A TV SHOW FRIDAY OR SATURDAY NIGHT! People are with their friends.
                        Why I think you' re german? lol I have a problem with nationality.

Well, this scene ca be shippy but for me it was hilarious. The first time I saw it, I said to me "Here we go, The sexy american warrior will do (sorry) the hot alien". But I will stop here or we will be surrounded by moderators.lol

They had great ideas but they screwed them. It's the same for SGU. Great idea at the beginning but done in a stupid way.

Am I the only one to have problem when I have to quote someone?
                        They were always on Friday here. It used to be known as SciFi Friday with SG-1, SGA, and BSG. Now it's SGU, Merlin, Sanctuary and whatever. In the fall they're moving SGU to Tuesday which is NCIS and a bunch of other popular shows here. Sometimes I wonder what drugs they are on.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        My curse has hit again - looks like my currently favorite show has been cancelled... *sniff*

I know! *sobs loudly*
                        sigpic

Comment

In the fall they're moving SGU to Tuesday which is NCIS and a bunch of other popular shows here. Sometimes I wonder what drugs they are on.
                          The kind that makes you hallucinate weird things...

I know! *sobs loudly*
                          It's stupid... stupid, stupid, stupid... *stomps feet*
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

It's stupid... stupid, stupid, stupid... *stomps feet*
                            I said the same thing for Firefly
                            sigpic

Comment

They know nothing about actors chemistry and the characters they play, how's that I'm not surprised?
                              Berman & Braga did the same huge mistake in Star Trek Enterprise, killing both the "official" ship and the non-official one.
                              OMG, don't talk to me about Enterprise ships *headdesk*
                              I loved most of Enterprise and the idea behind it but the ships were so insanely frustrating.
                              But at least Brannon Braga had the decency to admit they had frakked up with Enterprise. It's not really something I could see the SGA tptb do

In the end, I'm p*ssed because Atlantis had a lot of potential (in general, not only related to Sparky) and they screwed it. Damn it
                              Oh, so very true. That's one of the reasons I don't really like SGU. It really feels like tptb just thought: let's take the basis of Atlantis (put a group of people into an unknown situation without a way to get home), mix it up with some ST: Voyager (put them on a ship on the other side of the galaxy/universe) and let's blend some BSG in there too to spice it up a bit, cause our previous shows lacked the *reality* and *humanity* that BSG brings. And hey, apparently one of them just watched an adult movie, cause in SGU we have people frakking each other every other episode for no apparent reason *headdesk*
                              Anyway, they frakked up with SGA, with the storyline, characters and potential of the whole thing. They're trying to make it *better* with SGU, but again, they're failing... surprise, surprise

Yeah, it is a shame that all the possibilities were just never even developed a little bit. But I think it may be a habit with TPTB. The ratings for SGU reflect IMHO that they haven't learned much.

But we have SS6 to make up for their lack of foresight.
                              Haha, we sure do! Let's show tptb how it's really done!

Lol, that's exactly what I was thinking!!!

I heard about that, such a shame... and the crap shows just keep on going

They were always on Friday here. It used to be known as SciFi Friday with SG-1, SGA, and BSG. Now it's SGU, Merlin, Sanctuary and whatever. In the fall they're moving SGU to Tuesday which is NCIS and a bunch of other popular shows here. Sometimes I wonder what drugs they are on.
                              They're going to put SGU opposite NCIS?!? *headdesk*
                              You're kidding me, right? WTH are they thinking??
                              They are so made of fail... do they really think they can beat NCIS??
                              You're right... what the frak are they on??

Sig by me

Comment

Can I have the same drug? It seems funny.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X