Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Soon to be beer stinks. Hubby home brews his own stuff and it smells awful!
    sigpic

    Comment


      I have to figure out what the allergy thing going around here is. I feel so fuzzy. FH - I'll beta your fic tomorrow night cause it took me a whole minute awhile ago to think if tomorrow was Tuesday or Wednesday.

      Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      *snickers*

      Still though, there were certainly some good points made about InBev not understanding/respecting the company's history, and InBev's company line about wanting to spend their money on sponsorships that more directly focus on their target audience is BS. I mean, hello, the parade has basically become the pre-show to one of the biggest college football bowl games in the country. How much closer to their target audience do they think they can gett?
      Yeah, that was my basic thought about it. They have no grasp of American culture if they think the Rose Parade watchers aren't beer drinkers. Even if you think of the parade watchers as "the family audience"... uh... you think family people don't drink beer? They drink it more than anyone cause it's cheap! Helloooooooooooo!!

      Originally posted by gateraid View Post
      My standard response to anyone who says that is: I can fix that for you - do you have a hammer?



      Yikes Poor cat
      Wait a minute! She gets a "poor cat" and you want to smash mine with a hammer?

      Just another sign of the times, I'm afraid. Could those sisters have any more last names
      It's a rich person thing. Normal families don't have enough clout to entice people to keep any past surnames. OMG I'm imagining what my own long last name could be........ one common name followed by another and another. *snort*

      Originally posted by Pocus View Post
      Soon to be beer stinks. Hubby home brews his own stuff and it smells awful!
      Yuck! Huge apologies to Joe and family, but I really dislike beer - the smell AND the taste (and it looks like pee, too).

      Comment


        Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
        I have to figure out what the allergy thing going around here is. I feel so fuzzy. FH - I'll beta your fic tomorrow night cause it took me a whole minute awhile ago to think if tomorrow was Tuesday or Wednesday.



        Yeah, that was my basic thought about it. They have no grasp of American culture if they think the Rose Parade watchers aren't beer drinkers. Even if you think of the parade watchers as "the family audience"... uh... you think family people don't drink beer? They drink it more than anyone cause it's cheap! Helloooooooooooo!!
        Plus, they get the added bonus of being able to advertise to children directly It's a weak arguement that they're making. They'd have been better off to say flat out that it was costing them too much and in the current environment they couldn't justify the expense. Better to be an honest grinch than a dishonest one.

        Wait a minute! She gets a "poor cat" and you want to smash mine with a hammer?
        I did say later that I hoped it got better. Keep the hammer in mind as a fallback

        Yuck! Huge apologies to Joe and family, but I really dislike beer - the smell AND the taste (and it looks like pee, too).
        What kind of beer are you drinking? If my pee was that colour I'd be going to the infirmary ASAP
        sigpic

        Comment


          Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          I'm sorry to say this, but the article amuses me greatly - especially the comments below. Those damn foreigners... *shakes fist*

          World economy - gotta love it!
          The point is that they have taken what is basically the most identifiable American product and changed the most identifiable thing about it that connects that product with the American people who buy it. Those horses have always been BUD, and I deliberately used the stock symbol for the company there. It would be like doing away with the Energizer bunny or the Geiko gekko. Most Americans don't even know the company is no longer owned by the family that started it, nor do they care. But, if they want us to buy their product, they need to understand how we think. And we want the damn horses in the stupid parade. They're apple pie and the flag and mom all rolled into one. *straightens clothing and wipes foam off lips* Pardon the rant. I hate marketing idiots.
          sigpic

          Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
            The point is that they have taken what is basically the most identifiable American product and changed the most identifiable thing about it that connects that product with the American people who buy it. Those horses have always been BUD, and I deliberately used the stock symbol for the company there. It would be like doing away with the Energizer bunny or the Geiko gekko. Most Americans don't even know the company is no longer owned by the family that started it, nor do they care. But, if they want us to buy their product, they need to understand how we think. And we want the damn horses in the stupid parade. They're apple pie and the flag and mom all rolled into one. *straightens clothing and wipes foam off lips* Pardon the rant. I hate marketing idiots.
            Excuse my ignorance but is BUD what Duff on The Simpsons is based upon? And getting rid of the horses would be the equivalent of getting rid of the Duff Man? you've probably just completed a massive *headdesk* after reading that
            sigpic

            Comment


              Originally posted by gateraid View Post
              A) Happy New Year to everyone

              B) I have posted twice over the last few days, and GW has eaten them *shakes fist*

              C) I may have gone overboard with the touching under the cut

              D) If you can't see the last one coming, then you completely missed the eighties. Or was it the nineties? I'm not sure


              Spoiler:


              Daaaa da da da

              Can't touch this





              Da da da da

              Can't touch this





              Daaa da da da

              You can't touch these





              Daaaa da da da

              Don't touch this





              Daaa da da da

              Can't touch this





              Daaa da da da

              She can't touch it





              Daaa da da da

              Can't touch this





              Daaa da da da

              *grabs ass*

              Please touch this





              Daaa da da da

              Can I touch them?





              Daaa da da da

              It's Hammer time
              ROTFLMAO!!!!!! You have done it again gateraid!!
              I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

              Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

              Comment


                Originally posted by Madness reigns View Post
                WH13 is surprisingly good - if you can get through the first season (imo). The Original Mistletoe kinda gives you the overwhelming compulsion to kiss who ever is under it if I remember correctly?? (sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!)
                You're correct and since it affected Artie "AKA Grinchzilla" during the episode while he was standing next Claudia's brother you can imagain the comedic gold of the scene.
                I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

                Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

                Comment


                  My cap selection isn't the best here, but I went with what I had

                  Spoiler:


                  We've been together since way back when



                  Sometimes I never want to see you again
                  But I want you to know, after all these years



                  You're still the one I want whisperin' in my ear



                  You're still the one I want to talk to in bed



                  Still the one that turns my head




                  We're still having fun, and you're still the one



                  I looked at your face every day



                  But I never saw it 'til I went away

                  When winter came, I just wanted to go
                  Deep in the desert, I longed for the snow



                  You're still the one that makes me laugh



                  Still the one that's my better half
                  We're still having fun, and you're still the one
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                    Excuse my ignorance but is BUD what Duff on The Simpsons is based upon? And getting rid of the horses would be the equivalent of getting rid of the Duff Man? you've probably just completed a massive *headdesk* after reading that
                    Pardon my assumption that everybody in the world knew that BUD is short for Budweiser, their leading brand of beer that looks like pee. I concur on the color comparison. The beer that tastes good looks more like coffee or a good Scotch. LOL

                    I'm not sure Duff was the Simpsons version of Bud. Probably. Why didn't I think of that comparison? But when we see that red and white label, we think of the horses first. I saw them once, BTW. They were in town for a parade and were housed at a stable that was on my way to work. I saw them frolicking in the pasture. Beautiful animals. And BIG.

                    Great use of song lyrics for your picspam.
                    sigpic

                    Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

                    Comment


                      CRAP!!! IT'S EATING MY POSTS NOW TOO!!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!

                      Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                      My cap selection isn't the best here, but I went with what I had

                      *snip*
                      Aww, I liked that! Nice job!

                      So how's everything going after the latest "aftershock", or "earthquake", or whatever the geologists decided to call it?

                      Comment


                        EDIT: I knew it was gonna eat my post, so I copied and saved it before I posted, then edited and reposted it. *headkeyboard*

                        Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                        A) Happy New Year to everyone

                        B) I have posted twice over the last few days, and GW has eaten them *shakes fist*

                        C) I may have gone overboard with the touching under the cut

                        D) If you can't see the last one coming, then you completely missed the eighties. Or was it the nineties? I'm not sure


                        Spoiler:
                        *snipped* Hee hee!
                        ROFL!!! My sister does a great impression of that dance, but only when no one's looking. As soon as I start giggling, she stops and looks at me like, "Nothing to see here." Aah, the memories.

                        Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                        Aaaaannnndddd, we continue the new year in the gutter. What better place to be?
                        Gutter: home of Sparky.

                        Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                        I just watched the pilot episode of The Tudors. I prefer Stargate!Ren, like a thousand times over. Most of the people in that universe are at least good, moral people (considering there was no birth control in those days, they were certainly taking too many chances!). Yikes!! And on the show they're all "yeah, let's go to war! Yes!" Meanwhile it certainly won't be those jerks who'll be doing the dying, will it? Sorry, off on a tangent there.

                        Does anyone know if there will be any new stories out of Stargate!Ren anytime soon? (See, I brought it on topic!)
                        EEK!!! Can't wait for more Ren!
                        Spoiler:
                        Especially with all the tension between John/Elizabeth and Marcus/Kate, it's making me tense! Talk about a loooooong engagement.


                        OT kitty whump details
                        Spoiler:
                        Ouch!! Poor kitty! My boy has a bad tooth. It got infected a few months ago and we got it treated with antibiotics. The vet suggested we do a tooth cleaning thing but he'd have to go under anesthesia and he's 14 so it's a concern (never mind the $$$!). We hoped maybe it wouldn't happen again but... He's also been sneezing like crazy. We don't know if that's connected to the tooth or is an allergy (there's something in the area now because we've all been sneezing like crazy lately too).
                        My cat whumped me last night. Can I join the club?
                        Last edited by ShipperWriter; 03 January 2012, 07:06 AM. Reason: WITW?

                        Comment


                          Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

                          gateraid, that little song picspam made me melt into a puddle of happy goo. Oh, poor John! *wibbles and hugs John*

                          Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                          Gutter: home of Sparky.
                          No place we'd rather be!

                          Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                          EEK!!! Can't wait for more Ren!
                          Spoiler:
                          Especially with all the tension between John/Elizabeth and Marcus/Kate, it's making me tense! Talk about a loooooong engagement.
                          I know! The suspense is killing me.
                          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                            Pardon my assumption that everybody in the world knew that BUD is short for Budweiser, their leading brand of beer that looks like pee. I concur on the color comparison. The beer that tastes good looks more like coffee or a good Scotch. LOL

                            I'm not sure Duff was the Simpsons version of Bud. Probably. Why didn't I think of that comparison? But when we see that red and white label, we think of the horses first. I saw them once, BTW. They were in town for a parade and were housed at a stable that was on my way to work. I saw them frolicking in the pasture. Beautiful animals. And BIG.

                            Great use of song lyrics for your picspam.
                            You probably didn't think of the comparison because you weren't thinking of probably the dumbest comparison possible We had the DB Draught Clydesdales, although there wasn't the same history involved and they pretty much only went to the A & P Shows and appeared in the odd ad.

                            I can't see them changing their mind. For one thing, this has had the desired effect and gotten everyone talking about BUD. There's no such thing as bad publicity, or so the expression goes unless they threaten to turn them into glue

                            Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                            CRAP!!! IT'S EATING MY POSTS NOW TOO!!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!



                            Aww, I liked that! Nice job!

                            So how's everything going after the latest "aftershock", or "earthquake", or whatever the geologists decided to call it?
                            The news was on as I started this. They advised everyone to go for a run, lol. And some idiot made the comparison between this and the London Blitz, but without the forewarning of the air raid sirens.

                            Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                            Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

                            gateraid, that little song picspam made me melt into a puddle of happy goo. Oh, poor John! *wibbles and hugs John*
                            I started to do one to The Greatest American Hero, but didn't have enough to finish it. It was inspired by the s5 promo shots were they all looking like they were flying
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                              I have to figure out what the allergy thing going around here is. I feel so fuzzy. FH - I'll beta your fic tomorrow night cause it took me a whole minute awhile ago to think if tomorrow was Tuesday or Wednesday.
                              As long as I have it back by friday somewhere you're good.

                              Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                              The point is that they have taken what is basically the most identifiable American product and changed the most identifiable thing about it that connects that product with the American people who buy it. Those horses have always been BUD, and I deliberately used the stock symbol for the company there.
                              The Budweiser horses are the thing... they have funny christmas adds. But that's as far as my Bud-Horse knowledge goes.

                              Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                              It would be like doing away with the Energizer bunny or the Geiko gekko.
                              But they don't get to be in parades.

                              Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                              Most Americans don't even know the company is no longer owned by the family that started it, nor do they care. But, if they want us to buy their product, they need to understand how we think.
                              Isn't Bud still governed by Americans?

                              Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                              And we want the damn horses in the stupid parade. They're apple pie and the flag and mom all rolled into one. *straightens clothing and wipes foam off lips* Pardon the rant. I hate marketing idiots.
                              I only know of this parade cause several of my friends had the opportunity to march in it a couple of years ago as troopers of Star Wars. And I had no idea it was that big... so a perfect way to show a product, even by its mascotte alone. However, I could understand the reasoning of not wanting to advertise subconsciously an alcoholic beverage where kids are involved. If that could be a reason...

                              And I meant no disrespect by the way.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

                              Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

                                Isn't Bud still governed by Americans?
                                No, the founding families, as far as I know, have no further connection to the company once the sale went through. http://www.ab-inbev.com/go/corporate...e_introduction



                                I only know of this parade cause several of my friends had the opportunity to march in it a couple of years ago as troopers of Star Wars. And I had no idea it was that big... so a perfect way to show a product, even by its mascotte alone. However, I could understand the reasoning of not wanting to advertise subconsciously an alcoholic beverage where kids are involved. If that could be a reason...

                                And I meant no disrespect by the way.
                                The Rose Parade is one of the biggest and most elaborate parades we have. The Clydesdales traditionally pulled the City of St Louis float, which featured the Olympics in 2010 as in this vid. The only connection to beer advertising was the name of the sponsor, so I think their excuse is a bit disingenuous. But they own the company now and are free to make any changes they want to. It will be interesting to see what they pull sponsorship from next.
                                sigpic

                                Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X