Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First info on Atlantis's 'Runner' (Spoilers Inside)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About Sheppard's promotion - How about maybe he used to be a Lt Colonel and was demoted for "that incident"? So now he's just getting back his old rank because of his Pegasus Galaxy work. If all his efforts there don't earn him a promotion, or a re-instatement, what in the two galaxies would?

My kind of guy:
    "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
    Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
    (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
      About Sheppard's promotion - How about maybe he used to be a Lt Colonel and was demoted for "that incident"? So now he's just getting back his old rank because of his Pegasus Galaxy work. If all his efforts there don't earn him a promotion, or a re-instatement, what in the two galaxies would?
      I thought that, too. I don't know about the American military promotional system but in the UK I think that someone his age would be on the verge of being promoted to Lt Col.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
        You know, the damn shame of it is that after watching LETTERS FROM PEGASUS, where Ford gets to do something, I'm like, you coudn't have done this sooner?

However, if they get Carl Binder on the writing staff (big hint to the people who are writing/producing the show) it can only go up. He's put out two of the episodes seen only in Canada and they've been great, and he knows how to write characterization and action.
        Hell yes, he's fantastic. Stick him in the writers' room and lock the door. But hasn't he also written for SG-1 at some stage? Demons, I think.

Comment

At least Ford isn't being killed off.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/0...ringinse.shtml
          Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
            That's the thing. Generally speaking, it probably wouldn't. For whatever reason, it wasn't bad enough to warrant court-martial, but it was enough to keep him from flying anywhere but Antarctica. Usually careers don't recover that well.

I'm hoping that his promotion is a bigger deal than Sam's was. After all, she's been pretty much a model officer, where John most certainly hasn't.
            Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
            Last update: 14 April 2006
            Melyanna's Multimedia
            Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
              That's the thing. Generally speaking, it probably wouldn't. For whatever reason, it wasn't bad enough to warrant court-martial, but it was enough to keep him from flying anywhere but Antarctica. Usually careers don't recover that well.

I'm hoping that his promotion is a bigger deal than Sam's was. After all, she's been pretty much a model officer, where John most certainly hasn't.
              Maybe he was courtmartialled and as punishment he was demoted, then confined to desk duties until the Antarctica posting came up. I'd say he probably volunteered for that one rather than him being sent there. It's also possible that his father's reputation has kept him from being censured heavily previously.

Comment

Originally Posted by TheWarrior
                I just find it odd that Sheppard gets promoted quite early on - I mean Major Carter was a Major for five seasons and did loads in the protection of Earth, while Sheppard has had a bad record in the Air Force but redeems himself with his work on the Atlantis experdition but gets promoted more faster than Carter did.
                Originally posted by Erik Bloodaxe
                He has one bad mark, ONE; and I think it was actually long enough ago in his career that it didn't stop him from becoming a major. If you have too bad a record that they're not going to promote you, then that's indicative that you've done something bad enough that they're actually going to discharge you; so the fact that he's still in the military is enough to show that what he did wasn't that bad and he's still capable of being promoted. Besides, O'Neill has a few bad marks himself and made it to general.

Good for you, Erik...
                I think Carter's done alright for herself... she was promoted twice in the last eight years... that's not something to be sniffed at really... let's not forget that she did start off as Captain.

Don't forget too... Sheppard's no slouch... black mark or no black mark... he did save the lives of his men. It was probably more a slap on the wrist in his case.
                sigpic
                "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                  Good for you, Erik...
                  I think Carter's done alright for herself... she was promoted twice in the last eight years... that's not something to be sniffed at really... let's not forget that she did start off as Captain.
                  That's actually par for the course. If you stop getting promoted they'll kick you out.

BYE
                  "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

Originally posted by xie1013
                    Maybe he was courtmartialled and as punishment he was demoted, then confined to desk duties until the Antarctica posting came up. I'd say he probably volunteered for that one rather than him being sent there. It's also possible that his father's reputation has kept him from being censured heavily previously.
                    I suspect his father's reputation helped, but I think after disobeying an order (despite the good consequences) he'd be considered a loose cannon and nobody would want him as he might do it again. He chose Antartica, I'm sure, cuz it was the one place he could fly (well, half of the time ).

As for the promotion stuff, well, producers promote people left and right and we'll make this tiny little assumption that he was strategic in saving the entire city of Atlantis, therefore they should give him a promotion. Of course, will it be reflected in his paycheck? Wait, they don't get paid. Maybe they'll wormhole him a big bucket of popcorn every month ("This month: Cheese flavor!")

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna

*sigh*
                      Originally posted by Erik Bloodaxe
                      He has one bad mark, ONE; and I think it was actually long enough ago in his career that it didn't stop him from becoming a major. If you have too bad a record that they're not going to promote you, then that's indicative that you've done something bad enough that they're actually going to discharge you; so the fact that he's still in the military is enough to show that what he did wasn't that bad and he's still capable of being promoted. Besides, O'Neill has a few bad marks himself and made it to general.
                      As I was trying to get at there, if it was bad enough for him to never be promoted again, it would've been bad enough for him to get kicked out period. Since he wasn't, it's clear that he's already in a sense recovered from it just by still being allowed to be in the military and go w/ on this very important mission.

-Bloodaxe

Comment

We're probably getting a little bogged down with the whole promotion thing.. perhaps we should reserve our comments until the end of the season... therein may lie the rationale...
                        Last edited by Easter Lily; 14 January 2005, 02:59 PM. Reason: Typos
                        sigpic
                        "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

If nothing changes, it appears Sheppard will not be the lone military member of the team. Ronon Dex is an ex-military leader himself, according to information posted over at Spoilme

Comment

Working...
                          X