This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aschen
    I think McKay is like the sarcastic type, whre Beckett is well...he's pretty sarcastic too, isn't he?
    They both are sarcastic in their own way.

Comment

Originally posted by Kliggins
      I really like the character and hope he gets more air time. He totally cracks me up. I am not sure if McKay is supposed to the humerous character, but I find Dr. Beckett funnier. The accent is great!
      I agree I really enjoy Beckett where McKay just annoys me.

Comment

I like both McKay and Beckett, although I do think Beckett is funnier.
        Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
        RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Interesting that Beckett gets a featured episode before, well, really all the "regular" cast. I really liked "Poisoning the Well." I wonder if Paul McGillion is laying on the Scottish accent a little more for the show or if that's his normal way of speaking.

My kind of guy:
          "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
          Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
          (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Poisoning the Well was a great Beckett episode! I'm not sure if I get used to the accent or what because sometimes it's really subtle to me, but then it seems really heavy. Like in Poisoning the Well when he was talking about Scotland it seemed heavy. Maybe it was just the subject matter
            RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

Comment

As Scottish accents go, Beckett's is moderate. In Great Britain as a whole, even though it's not a huge country when compared to the United States or Canada, accents can be completely different 50 miles away. Not everyone in Great Britain speaks "BBC English" (like Grodin) - I grew up 75 miles southwest of London and the regional accent was a broad rural one, somewhat similar to the generic one attributed to pirates, but not as broad. (Brits reading this will know what I mean when I describe a "yokel" accent.)

Scottish accents have similar variations. Some are downright incomprehensible - for example urban Glaswegian. I've seen shows on BBC America featuring news interviews with citizens of Glasgow - some required subtitles.

That obscure Scottish proverb stumped me, so I had to actually look it up.

"A bald head is soon shaved" = An easy task is soon completed.
              We suspend our disbelief, and we are entertained...

Comment

Paul Mcgillion (AKA Paul Mcgillion) really should be added to the opening credits, it's a shame that's he not acknowledged that way. Honestly, I look forward to his performance each week, he does have the funniest lines and the accent it really does make my knees weak. Hopefully, next season he will be added as a regular cast member, he deserves it. Thanks.

Comment

Paul Mcgillion (AKA Paul Mcgillion) really should be added to the opening credits, it's a shame that's he not acknowledged that way. Honestly, I look forward to his performance each week, he does have the funniest lines and the accent it really does make my knees weak. Hopefully, next season he will be added as a regular cast member, he deserves it. Thanks.

Comment

He should be, but it's probably due to contracts and all that fun legal stuff that he's not currently in the credits. Plus, we don't know how big of a role he'll play in upcoming episodes.

Comment

He's still a great character anyway. I think he's a great actor. Very funny.

Comment

Originally posted by charmedy
                        It's probably a lot like TR and Janet Fraiser. It was contract issues, so unfortunately I think it has little to do with what is and is not 'deserved'.

Comment

The contracts may well be relevant,but I liked him in Rising .
                          Frankly,I don't care about the semantics and titles,I just want to see more of Beckett,and of course Paul McGillion.
                          The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I could not STAND Beckett in Rising. But when he's going about doing his duty as a medical doctor, I find his demeanor and his bedside manner to be just wonderful. He has a gentle, personal touch with his patients. Well except for Mc Kay, and I'd forgive him in a heartbeat for giving him a hard time.

I thought that this week his character just grew by leaps and bounds he was a joy to watch. I hope he develops further.
                            "You're creepin' me out, Mc Kay." Carter

Comment

Dr. Beckett is my favorite character on Atlantis! (and no, it's not because he shares a surname with the main character of my all-time favorite TV Show)

I love his accent, and I think his humor is great.

I know I'm not the only person out there just waiting for a reference to Quantum Leap. Or at least a reference to the playwright Beckett... Or both.

Joy
                              Last edited by tina_als_girl; 27 August 2004, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Great character, great acting. A compliment to the cast.

Comment

Working...
                                X