Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, that looks freaking amazing! I can't wait for an official trailer.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Video: Predators Movie Interview - Robert Rodriguez at SXSW

http://uk.movies.ign.com/dor/objects...sw_031910.html

Comment

Thought i'd bump rather than remake. I'm off to watch this shortly, It's not supposed to be on general release here until tomorrow but my local cinema is doing advanced screenings so I'm looking forward to seeing it before most.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
          Thought i'd bump rather than remake. I'm off to watch this shortly, It's not supposed to be on general release here until tomorrow but my local cinema is doing advanced screenings so I'm looking forward to seeing it before most.
          Just for framing when you post your little review, did you enjoy the previous Predator movies a lot? Or is this like a casual thing?
          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I just saw Predators...it was pretty good...its not a remake or reboot though, its a sequel
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
              Just for framing when you post your little review, did you enjoy the previous Predator movies a lot? Or is this like a casual thing?
              I've always enjoyed the Predator movies, and I even liked the AvP series (mainly because of the Predators, they are always kick ass. never been able to get into the Alien stuff). For me, Predator is probably Arnie's best film after T2.

Originally posted by The Dude of Lebowski View Post
              I just saw Predators...it was pretty good...its not a remake or reboot though, its a sequel
              It's a Predator 1 sequel (it didn't give a date, so possible that it ignores Predator 2) but it comes off more like a remake. The soundtrack is pretty much a copy of the original, sounds exactly the same. The general plot, while the characters are different you can see similarities from the start or during the movie at key points.

---

For me, it's easier to list the bad things first so here I go;

Lawrence Fishburne. He's a macguffin. Does nothing but show up for 2 minutes to drive the plot forward, resulting the characters deciding to do something which you can predict 10 minutes earlier. This guy in a prequel with the gear he has when met would be a fantastic movie but in this, he's pointless.

It's a remake. They may call it a sequel but it's a remake. From the general plot (a team of soldiers in the jungle, being hunted) to the characters (Mac and Duke are pretty much the Russian and Yakuza guys, plus Anna is represented by Isabelle and the Doctor) and even the music. The only real difference is it's set on an alien world and they have no clue who each other are. The only thing the movie was missing was someone saying "get to the space choppa".

The characters as a group. Take a group of people who are perhaps the worst killers on the planet, stick them together and then watch them get along? Uh, no. Having a team of 8, fine, but they should have started with say 14 or 15 and let them kill each other off a bit before teaming up.

That said, I did enjoy the return of basics. I like the jungle setting, I like the offworld settings and individually I liked the characters. I love all the different additions that improve the Predators, both technologically and culturally and this film added a few interesting things, both culturally and technologically, so the point where I hope a sequel goes into it (so much so, human characters aren't needed) but it still comes back to seeming very much like the original. I think that Brody's character is probably my favourite leader of the series, as he's not completely one sided like the others.

sigpic

Comment

Sounds good then! Who doesn't love a good hour and a half of Predators killing folk? Nobody, that's it!
                ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                  Sounds good then! Who doesn't love a good hour and a half of Predators killing folk? Nobody, that's it!
                  Well, I'd like a story to go with it. If I wanted to watch mindless killing... I'd go outside to mainstreet at night.

Comment

There is a story to it, but it's very bare bones. It's very much like the original but this movies real difference is the characters because they don't know each other, they have to learn to trust each other, work together and all that stuff so the character interaction is what drives it. That said, I think there could be a bigger story to it as the ending does open up the possibility for direct sequels.

sigpic

Comment

This looks awesome cant wait to see

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
                      Well, I'd like a story to go with it. If I wanted to watch mindless killing... I'd go outside to mainstreet at night.
                      OUCH id just go to Sydney late at night
                      Last edited by mr_kennedy; 08 July 2010, 05:17 PM.
                      Last Movie Watched
                      X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                      Life is Strange

Comment

I really can't wait to see this. I am hoping for this weekend.
                        sigpic
                        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                          I really can't wait to see this. I am hoping for this weekend.
                          Why wait? you should go now!

Comment

Why wait? you should go now!
                            I'll probably end up going with a buddy of mine Sunday. Both of our wives are going to hang out, so it is a good opportunity to go see a movie they wouldn't be interested in seeing.
                            sigpic
                            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I sure hope this is good!

Comment

...man, did you even see the first Predator movie?
                                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                                X