Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But why would you give such an important job to those two guys. They haven't done anything relevant or worthy in years. If you want to remake/reboot a "classic" and bring in viewers and their dollars, bring in the big guns with vision not the old hasbeen with one story in their back pocket that they keep recycling over and over. With Independence Day Forever slated for 2016, that means the new Stargate wont be up until 2018. Thats way too long. If they were serious we could have a tv show in the summer/fall 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by meo3000 View Post
      But why would you give such an important job to those two guys. They haven't done anything relevant or worthy in years. If you want to remake/reboot a "classic" and bring in viewers and their dollars, bring in the big guns with vision not the old hasbeen with one story in their back pocket that they keep recycling over and over. With Independence Day Forever slated for 2016, that means the new Stargate wont be up until 2018. Thats way too long. If they were serious we could have a tv show in the summer/fall 2015.
      Big guns with Vision??
      You mean like what they did to Transformers, or Star Trek??
      These days I would expect a reboot of Battle of the planets with 7 zark 7 being a condom vending machine.

Don't forget, before Peter Jackson became the lord of the hobbits, his best known work was probably Meet the Feebles.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Probably because they've been making such a fuss about it for the past 7 years
        Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Can you believe it? This announcement has brought me back to Gateworld.

Not sure yet how I feel about this. So many years of tv canon, and I'm 99.9% sure that none of it will be taken into consideration with the reboot. I'm guessing even the original movie will be modified for this new trilogy. I'm guessing some of the basics of the original movie might stay, but since this is a reboot, they could start from scratch and the only thing that will remain the same is a big spinning stone circle.
          No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            I'll believe when I see it
            Second, or third or whatever number we're at ... that.

Fans make up the minority of the viewing audience. The forum is a shadow of its former self. Its no where near as active as the old days. That sounds like double standards to justify your personal preference of the tv shows over the movies
            Word.

At the height of Stargate, you couldn't keep up with the conversations... now, not so much... slower than a snail, and lots of threads that are dead or dying. I'm clinging to the fabrics of GW here...

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            Well, unlike the majority of peeps here, I am looking forward to this. Sorry guys and gals, but I love me some gate. As long as they can make a good movie, then I am more than happy. I followed the movie to SG-1, then to SGA and even SGU despite my dislike of it.

I WILL however reserve the right to abuse it mercilessly if it is garbage IMO.
            I wasn't aware of the existence of 1994 Stargate when I first came across SG1, and when I first saw it midway season 3, I didn't even like it all that much. But that changed, and the more I watched it, the more I liked it. So, I'm curious how Emmerich and Devlin will handle this reboot.

And if it's crap, I'll be here with Gatefan to abuse it mercilessly.

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
            Essentially my dear friends... we are actually fans of a fairly rubbish franchise... and I say that with love.
            Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
            I also respectfully disagree with the person who said we are part of a rubbish franchise. I think the franchise is pretty good - as it is currently or as it was when the show was on tv.
            LOL!! This is so true... most of the people I know will say "Stargate what now?" when talking about scifi shows. Star Wars, on the other hand, that they know. Or Star Trek, in one form or another.

The thing that get me is Emmerich and Devlin. I look at the movies they make and most of them are just terrible. That includes the original Stargate movie. I agree with Sky in that the original movie is not that good and its so much inferior to the TV show
            Oh come one... SG1/SGA/SGU have an advantage when it comes to technology available to make these shows. I mean, look at the kawoosh and compare that in all three series and see the improvement. The one in Stargate makes me giggle so hard every time I see it. Same with the old and new Indiana Jones films. (The old ones make me cringe when it comes to special effects)

I'm looking at it from another perspective. When I go to cons, the biggest draw cards are the Stargate guests.
            Possibly because you only go to cons which have Stargate guests... that's not a very obective point of view. Of course, lots of folks will be there to see the guests in comparison to conventions that bring in all sorts of guests from all sorts franchises.

To totally dismiss it is ridiculous. And how are they going to write Jack O'Niel (with only one 'L' ) and Daniel Jackson after everything that has happened in the series? To do that, they have to ignore everything from the series. That is sad.
            Considering O'Neil and Spader's Jackson are before O'Neill and Shanks' Jackson I don't see a problem whatsoever. They are ignoring the series, so problem solved. I really don't see the issue. It's not SG1 you're getting, it's Stargate.

And Stargate without Sam or Teal'c?? You might as well just pack the gate up and forget about it.
            Again, it's Stargate, not SG1.

Pity Emmerich is such a nit - if only he would listen to the people who helped make Stargate a success - the fans.
            The fans make up about 10% of the success - the casual viewers on the other hand.

Question for you - how many here re watch the movie as much or more than the series?
            I don't own the DVD so it's harder to rewatch the film from 1994. But I don't rewatch my SG1 DVD's as much either. In fact, I haven't even watched my season 8-9-10 DVD's of SG1. So, while you may rewatch SG1 every so often, others might not, and thus your point becomes invalid on a whole.

What can I say, I like magic doors to adventure
            And behind magical door number 1 we have...

I think the writing for Matt Smiths Era was brilliant, I forgave the Doctor, and enjoyed the story, I think the Tennant era was more the reverse, I forgave the stories because I liked the Doctor.
            Sidenote: I really didn't like Eleven the first time I saw him - stopped watching Who entirely. But then curiosity got the better of me, and started watching again... and damn did he grow on me fast. Though Ten(nant) is still my favorite.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            One movie maybe. But three? It'll have to be pretty danged good to shell out the money to make three high budget scifi movies.
            I think it's always a big risk to announce more than one movie at the time if you want to do a series cause the audience is a fickle thing. So if the first one doesn't do well, chances are there won't be a 2 and 3 to complete it. No matter the subject.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            Looks like Stargate fans will get their Episodes 1-3 (Just please, no jarjar)
            But I love Jar-Jar Binks.

No, I'm not kidding, I really do love him.

They haven't done anything relevant or worthy in years.
            Devlin's been doing Leverage, so yes he has been doing something worthy and relevant.

Don't know about Emmerich - Okay, he's definitely not been doing anything relevant or worthy. 10,000 BC - seriously?!? Oh dear...

+++//+++

And now for what I think...

I consider both franchises to be two separate legs of the same source - stargate. I may not have like the 1994 film at first glance but I watched it well into SG1's run since I didn't know there was a film in the first place, so I was used to Rick's O'Neill and Michael's Daniel. However, I've rewatched it a couple of times and I can honestly say I really enjoy it. It's different from SG1, but as I said two different sides of the same franchise.

I'm curious to what E&D have in store for us... if it's good, great. If it's not, tough luck.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              Word.

At the height of Stargate, you couldn't keep up with the conversations... now, not so much... slower than a snail, and lots of threads that are dead or dying. I'm clinging to the fabrics of GW here...
              I know I haven't been active in a long time, but I'm surprised to see that there's only 34 members online on the day new movies have been announced... I know most Americans are asleep and most Europeans are at work, but still
              Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
                I know I haven't been active in a long time, but I'm surprised to see that there's only 34 members online on the day new movies have been announced... I know most Americans are asleep and most Europeans are at work, but still
                Most people are at work right now. I think the board definitely has lost people, but I'm sure once more news gets out more people will come.
                sigpic

Comment

Much as I love SG-1, I'm interested to see where the new trilogy will go.

I don't need more SG-1 - I have 10 seasons and a couple of movies, which wrapped things up nicely. And no-one, no matter what else they do with the Stargate name, can take that away.

I'll happily watch what comes along. I'll just regard it as an AU.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
                    34 is a lot compared to any other day -- believe me.

Originally posted by jdjunkie View Post
                    I'll happily watch what comes along. I'll just regard it as an AU.
                    Actually, SG1/SGA/SGU are the AU here.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      Actually, SG1/SGA/SGU are the AU here.
                      Chronologically, yes. But I saw the series before the movie, so I work backwards ... what? It makes perfect sense to me! You're right, of course.

Comment

Chronologically, yes. But I saw the series before the movie, so I work backwards ... what? It makes perfect sense to me! You're right, of course.
                        I know what you mean... I too saw SG1 before the movie.

Comment

Stargate making sense???
                          I'll have what you are having
                          sigpic
                          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Stargate making sense???
                            I'll have what you are having
                            I'd better be a tequila, with a large pinch of salt. Getting half-cut seems the best way to cope with all the angsting that's going on!

Comment

I'd better be a tequila, with a large pinch of salt. Getting half-cut seems the best way to cope with all the angsting that's going on!
                              Who wants margaritas?
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

But angsting is fun!

*whines* I want more Stargate!!

*Movie is announced*

*whines* It's the wrong Stargate!!

Comment

Working...
                                X