Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish the fanbase would be more reasonable, and push for a Dark Horse or IDW graphic novel series, publishing the unproduced scripts, penned by the original SG1/Atlantis writers--spinning into new material if the launch proves successful.

Such a shift would be the only way we will ever see new canon for SG1 & Atlantis, and the production companies wouldn't need a massive audience to turn a profit.

You look the huge success of the canon Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight, Nine, and Ten--where they have A-list producers, writers, and directors revisiting their Buffy characters between their big film and television projects.

If fans convinced MGM and the handful of Stargate storytellers to go the graphic novel route, we could reasonably get new stories. Pushing multimillion dollar film/TV projects is just a pipe dream that will never come to anything, especially now that the original producers, who dislike the televised franchise, have a say.

I mean no disrespect, but the current "licensed" novels are just written by a fan. Even worse, I got through half of one, and it was literally the worst written published book I have ever read.
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

Comment

when i read a fanfic, i see how many more stories are left to tell. when i read one of the official novels, i see how many more stories are left to tell. the ONLY thing not letting the stories be *seen* is mgm.

giving emmerich/devlin this franchise (which they gave away to mgm) is like giving prime rib to a fastfood worker and expecting a first-class meal.

(((tv franchise and its fans)))
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Even if it is a reboot, or sequel to the original film, I don't see why they would have to completely ignore the other 99% of the franchise. I'm not expecting much, but there's no reason they couldn't use character names from the shows in some way. However, given previous statements by the two people involved, I'm almost sure they'll go out of their way to make no references to it whatsoever.

Comment

I honestly am not all that excited about this. I much rather see something that continues from the tv series (which what I really fell in love with). I doubt I'll watch the movies unless it really got good reviews.

they could easially write something that goes along with the series. The difference between this and say Star trek reboot, is ST at least acknowledged they were changing the timeline.
          sigpic

Comment

I am by no means a an expert on the saga of Stargate. I liked the original movie, loved most of SG-1, liked SGA, and I saw SGU
            It seems to me that I have always heard that Devlin and Emmerich did not like what happened with the series because they didn't get a big chunk of it. I could be wrong, but it seems like I've always heard they have talked against the series. These facts make it seem logical to me that they would want to completely ignore all three series and re-establish themselves as masters of the Stargate domain. It seems the more they include the shows means the more hands in the pie for profits. My guess would be that they would want to lure SG-1, SGA, and SGU fans, but that they would rather aim for movie profits that don't include anything involved with the shows. Thinking logically if you had a semi-successful movie idea that got turned into a successful TV franchise that you didn't cash in on wouldn't your strategy be to relaunch the movie franchise without having to pay any tribute, or profits, to the TV franchise you got nothing from? Then if your movies are successful maybe you can be part of a new TV franchise that you make money off of. I am just speculating here, but it seems I always heard that they were very much against the TV franchise, so why would they invite them to the party when that would likely mean more mouths to feed, so to speak. I am sure corporate minded individuals would be perfectly happy with ignoring a TV franchise that seems dead in the water for a feature film franchise relaunch.

And I almost left out that I totally hate this idea if at least Amanda Tapping and Richard Dean Anderson are not in the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
              I wish the fanbase would be more reasonable, and push for a Dark Horse or IDW graphic novel series, publishing the unproduced scripts, penned by the original SG1/Atlantis writers--spinning into new material if the launch proves successful.

Such a shift would be the only way we will ever see new canon for SG1 & Atlantis, and the production companies wouldn't need a massive audience to turn a profit.

You look the huge success of the canon Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight, Nine, and Ten--where they have A-list producers, writers, and directors revisiting their Buffy characters between their big film and television projects.

If fans convinced MGM and the handful of Stargate storytellers to go the graphic novel route, we could reasonably get new stories. Pushing multimillion dollar film/TV projects is just a pipe dream that will never come to anything, especially now that the original producers, who dislike the televised franchise, have a say.

I mean no disrespect, but the current "licensed" novels are just written by a fan. Even worse, I got through half of one, and it was literally the worst written published book I have ever read.
              I would love a graphic novel or comic book continuation, Buffy, Farscape, Smallville, The X-Files, Firefly, and much more have been getting them with someone from the respective shows being involved. I love comics and with great art it would be welcome.

Comment

Given that these two men hate the tv show I think it's safe to say that the reboot will just be a slightly jived up version of the 1994 movie....which was honestly a flop, no matter the spin and hype.

They have seen 20 years of Stargate success and think they can cash in on it, but the success came from a totally different version of the idea. If they're thinking that current fans will flock.....well basically they're repeating what cooper thought about his 'stargate command' and what they thought about Atlantis and SGU.....that as long as it has stargate in the title people will flock.

Can't say that it excites me. While I adored the TV show, the movie was always 'meh' to me. It was a package of cliches wrapped in some special effects.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

you know with 24 back on tv it makes me think well Kiefer Sutherland has come back to playing jack bauer so the stargate cast from the tv shows can do the same. this movie idea is just a waste of time.

Comment

Well, unlike the majority of peeps here, I am looking forward to this. Sorry guys and gals, but I love me some gate. As long as they can make a good movie, then I am more than happy. I followed the movie to SG-1, then to SGA and even SGU despite my dislike of it.

I WILL however reserve the right to abuse it mercilessly if it is garbage IMO.
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I liked the original movie so I'm interested in seeing how Emmerich's original vision plays out. It will have a different vibe no doubt but at least it will, or should have the one recognisable aspect, the Stargate!

It would be interesting to see if they revisit Abydos to find James Spader again! It would be good to have some of the original actors again, and of course Skarra would be alive still in this version as well as Kassuf.

Or.........it will be the the next generation of youngsters with kick ass attitudes saving the day from an alien invasion through the Stargate; which has been hidden under the White House, the recurring gate use inadvertently triggers a seismic calamity in the Earth's crust....and..............

Comment

I would rather them go their own way with it really. Stargate as we know it right now is ok but it really isn't movie worthy. The characters in SG-1 and SGA are too genial and perfect, the story as a whole is convoluted at best. It's entertaining but really offers no substance until you get to SGU, and while that was brilliant it suffered from the stargate name attached to it.

A short time ago I used to go along to a weekly geek quiz at the local pub. Generally there would be upwards of a hundred to a hundred and fifty people crammed into this relatively small bar and there was an extremely knowledgeable quiz master who came up with questions ever week. Every so often we'd get a question on Stargate and generally there would be an assortment of people who would get it right. When I asked around a bit in casual conversations the guys there more or less always said the same thing: That it was a classic Sci-fi movie that was quite cool, and the occasionally watched the show (sometimes just one of them sometimes all three) but none of them were avid fans or even regular viewers and almost all only ever saw the episodes in re-runs. In other words, they'd know a question like "What is the name of the wise cracking colonel, played by MacGyver star Richard Dean Anderson, in the sci-fi series Stargate SG-1", but they wouldn't know "What is the name of the tattooed alien warrior played by actor Christopher Judge in tv series Stargate SG-1". Likewise I think no one would ever get any of the characters out of Atlantis.

My point is though, is that when you look at other franchises that get films, like Star Trek, everyone knows the names of Kirk, Spock, Scotty, Bones and so on. And many even Know the likes of Picard, Data and Troi. But when even proper, geeky, sci-fi nerds don't know the characters names on a show, and I mean collectively, then it's a fair indication that the show simply doesn't have that big a name for itself. Stargate is small time. The only reason why it has lasted so inconceivably long is that for the longest time, it and BSG were the only things that had people watching the Sci-fi channel. A relatively small time cable network. Sky One, here in the UK showed all of the Stargates but even then they were generally shown on days they didn't have much use for.

Essentially my dear friends... we are actually fans of a fairly rubbish franchise... and I say that with love.
                        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

All I can see is a load of us having our interest stirred up by the fact that something is being done with the Stargate franchise. If we're honest, we'll all watch the movie if and when it comes out!

I will be very much a lone voice here and say that I am looking forward to seeing what Emmerich does. I liked the movie for its interesting concept of meshing Earth's history with alien influences. It was visually stunning too with the gate, costumes and locations. I hope they continue that mystery of what the gate will bring in the form of disaster or deliverance for the human race.

Comment

The thing that get me is Emmerich and Devlin. I look at the movies they make and most of them are just terrible. That includes the original Stargate movie. I agree with Sky in that the original movie is not that good and its so much inferior to the TV show
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by MonicaL View Post
                              To be honest I hated the original movie. As far as I'm concerned it's sole reason for existing was to create SG-1 et al.
                              So did I - if I had seen that first I probably never would have watched the TV series.

Whether the movies are good or bad doesn't matter much to me, they're just a few hours of entertainment every couple of years or so - big deal.

If they had announced a Stargate TV series of any kind, though, I'd be opening a bottle of champagne right now.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
                                If they had announced a Stargate TV series of any kind, though, I'd be opening a bottle of champagne right now.
                                You and me both!!
                                Monica Zelenka lover since 2004! RDA fan since 1985! Lorne fan since 2003!
                                sigpic
                                Lady Pandora
                                Atlantis Series: Retrospective Ruminations Unexpected

Comment

Working...
                                X