Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those speculating that the movies may follow or include nods to the TV canon, I can't see how that will happen. Emmerich and Devlin may not be writing (then again, they may, it's still early in the process and they wrote the original film) but given their approach to the TV continuity (i.e. it's not a valid continuation, generally very dismissive) they wouldn't be signing on if they had to play in that particular sandbox.

Wasn't RoboCop an MGM property? That got rebooted. Arguably Bond too, though admittedly that was before the bankruptcy. Stargate is their other big property, so it was inevitable.

I think the closest we'll get to a nod to SG-1 and the like will be something like "That's O'Neil, it's spelled with one 'L' and always has been".
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

I didn't think this would actually happen, I hoped it wouldn't.....

First of all I hate the current the trend of reboots, I find it really annoying. Though if you must reboot it, Devlin and Emmerich are the WORST people to do so. They are known for making sub-par films (including 1994's Stargate), which means that I don't have high hopes for this. They have made their distaste for the series known, which means that they will ignore SG1/SGA/SGU. A reboot usually includes stock characters, plots, tech, races etc - stuff that makes the franchise the franchise. All this will have is a Stargate and maybe moody O'Neil, season1&2 Jackson and a few minor characters (though it sounds like they may have different characters all together). No Carter, no Teal'c, no Ancients, no Asgard, nothing from the franchise we all know and love.

In my experience (which is apparently different from P90's), most people know Stargate from the TV show and haven't even heard of the movie. So I think that most people who go to see it will be there because they like the TV show (and that includes perhaps all of this forum), which makes the fact that they will ignore the show even more of a shame (and even more irritating because I know that they'll cash in on its popularity).

Though of course, I'll see it. Grudgingly. Expecting that it will suck.
      Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

As a fan of the Stargate movie too, I'M excited about this. I really am. It's pretty much like JJ Abrams' Star Trek all over again in terms of franchise. And yes, that was a stupid idea, but I'm just clarifying it.

Still, I'm gonna watch the original movie again in preparation and hope for the best.
        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

I was never a Star Trek fan, until they rebooted it. Saying so, will 90% of all users here have imploding minds?

But that's right, I thought Star Trek was damn silly until they did the new movies.

Sci Fi fans are extremely self destructive. "Boycott SGU" they said, and the franchaise went into a long coma (and it will never come out of that coma).

Rebooting Stargate is the only choice they have. Will they successfull?

I don't know. Leaning on "no". It depends. The Stargate fanbase, a loyal bunch of people, are mostly connected to the series, not the movie. Most fanbases are usually loyal to whatever they can call "original". Mostly because it's "cool" to say you only like the original, but also because no one likes change. With Stargate, the movie itself was below par. It wasn't very good. The series BECAME good. After a while. Mostly thanks to RDA who performed brilliantly in his role as O'Neill, but also thanks to some very innovative writers (especially in SG-1 seas 5 to 10, Atlantis and SGU).

But here's the amazing part, re-booting Stargate won't magically set your SG-1 DVD's on fire and "destroy them". Star Trek or Star Wars fans are not familiar to this concept as they think that "new" will destroy "old". Come on, where's your mindset. I will watch the Stargate movies with an open mind. If they are horrible, I will never think of them again. If they are good, well hurray. But, I'm not sulking in a corner just because no one decided to bring Teal'C into the fold.

Comment

Originally posted by DCK View Post
            But here's the amazing part, re-booting Stargate won't magically set your SG-1 DVD's on fire and "destroy them". Star Trek or Star Wars fans are not familiar to this concept as they think that "new" will destroy "old". Come on, where's your mindset. I will watch the Stargate movies with an open mind. If they are horrible, I will never think of them again. If they are good, well hurray. But, I'm not sulking in a corner just because no one decided to bring Teal'C into the fold.
            But it feels like it's disrespecting SG-1's memory. I tried to explain this to my wife and she came up with a good analogy: "so it's like building a really ugly statue on the grave of someone really well-respected"
            Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

It's a TV show, not religion. It doesn't matter to be one bit what they do. I can still watch old DVDs.

Comment

It really depends on whether or not they plan to continue with their trilogy as they intended(Devlin always said they wanted to make more) or if they'll REMAKE their original film.
                "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Britta View Post

I prefer to think that we have superior taste.
                  Well to be honest whenever I watch the show now, unless it's SGU or the first six seasons of SG-1, I don't see what used to be my favourite show.... I see Wormhole X-Treme.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                    Well to be honest whenever I watch the show now, unless it's SGU or the first six seasons of SG-1, I don't see what used to be my favourite show.... I see Wormhole X-Treme.
                    I feel the same way with Matt Smith on the screen for Who.
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                      I feel the same way with Matt Smith on the screen for Who.
                      Heathen!... Though I generally feel that way about David Tenent's reign... Though only in hindsight. I loved them at the time. Matt Smith's episodes I can still watch over and over again and never get tired of.
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                        I think the closest we'll get to a nod to SG-1 and the like will be something like "That's O'Neil, it's spelled with one 'L' and always has been".
                        Actually, if I get the system right, it should be three "L" this time.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                          Heathen!... Though I generally feel that way about David Tenent's reign... Though only in hindsight. I loved them at the time. Matt Smith's episodes I can still watch over and over again and never get tired of.
                          I think the writing for Matt Smiths Era was brilliant, I forgave the Doctor, and enjoyed the story, I think the Tennant era was more the reverse, I forgave the stories because I liked the Doctor.

Of course, I would have loved to have seen more John Hurt as the Doctor however.
                          sigpic

Comment

I still doubt that this'll actually happen.

Comment

One movie maybe. But three? It'll have to be pretty danged good to shell out the money to make three high budget scifi movies.

Looks like Stargate fans will get their Episodes 1-3 (Just please, no jarjar)
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                                One movie maybe. But three? It'll have to be pretty danged good to shell out the money to make three high budget scifi movies.

Looks like Stargate fans will get their Episodes 1-3 (Just please, no jarjar)
                                IIRC, none of DD/RE movies are "high budget"
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X