This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    The thing that get me is Emmerich and Devlin. I look at the movies they make and most of them are just terrible. That includes the original Stargate movie. I agree with Sky in that the original movie is not that good and its so much inferior to the TV show
    Jel arguing personal feelings?
    The world has ended.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      Jel arguing personal feelings?
      The world has ended.
      I always knew I would be the one to end it. The only question was when.
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        I always knew I would be the one to end it. The only question was when.
        I misspoke, I should have said your world has ended
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          I would rather them go their own way with it really. Stargate as we know it right now is ok but it really isn't movie worthy. The characters in SG-1 and SGA are too genial and perfect, the story as a whole is convoluted at best. It's entertaining but really offers no substance until you get to SGU, and while that was brilliant it suffered from the stargate name attached to it.

A short time ago I used to go along to a weekly geek quiz at the local pub. Generally there would be upwards of a hundred to a hundred and fifty people crammed into this relatively small bar and there was an extremely knowledgeable quiz master who came up with questions ever week. Every so often we'd get a question on Stargate and generally there would be an assortment of people who would get it right. When I asked around a bit in casual conversations the guys there more or less always said the same thing: That it was a classic Sci-fi movie that was quite cool, and the occasionally watched the show (sometimes just one of them sometimes all three) but none of them were avid fans or even regular viewers and almost all only ever saw the episodes in re-runs. In other words, they'd know a question like "What is the name of the wise cracking colonel, played by MacGyver star Richard Dean Anderson, in the sci-fi series Stargate SG-1", but they wouldn't know "What is the name of the tattooed alien warrior played by actor Christopher Judge in tv series Stargate SG-1". Likewise I think no one would ever get any of the characters out of Atlantis.

My point is though, is that when you look at other franchises that get films, like Star Trek, everyone knows the names of Kirk, Spock, Scotty, Bones and so on. And many even Know the likes of Picard, Data and Troi. But when even proper, geeky, sci-fi nerds don't know the characters names on a show, and I mean collectively, then it's a fair indication that the show simply doesn't have that big a name for itself. Stargate is small time. The only reason why it has lasted so inconceivably long is that for the longest time, it and BSG were the only things that had people watching the Sci-fi channel. A relatively small time cable network. Sky One, here in the UK showed all of the Stargates but even then they were generally shown on days they didn't have much use for.

Essentially my dear friends... we are actually fans of a fairly rubbish franchise... and I say that with love.
          I'd *so* green you right now if I could!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I'm looking at it from another perspective. When I go to cons, the biggest draw cards are the Stargate guests. Unless of course you bring in someone like Stan Lee. But even then, you will still see huge crowds coming for the SG peeps. That's gotta say something about the popularity of this show.
            To totally dismiss it is ridiculous. And how are they going to write Jack O'Niel (with only one 'L' ) and Daniel Jackson after everything that has happened in the series? To do that, they have to ignore everything from the series. That is sad.
            And Stargate without Sam or Teal'c?? You might as well just pack the gate up and forget about it.
            I really don't understand MGM's thinking. I really don't give a rats about Emmerich who is just a bitter old man because the franchise is still pulling in the $$.
            And I seriously doubt he gives a rats what the fans think too.
            It baffles me. It's just another stupid decision that's gonna leave the fans wondering what the hell were they thinking.
            JMHO.
            Pity Emmerich is such a nit - if only he would listen to the people who helped make Stargate a success - the fans.
            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Question for you - how many here re watch the movie as much or more than the series?
              I for one have only seen the original movie twice - cannot count how many times I have re watched the series - but my dvd's are pretty well worn.
              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                this might extremely disappoint me, but it doesn't surprise me. mgm is just like every other company of late, that thinks rebooting will solve their money probs... it's uninspiring and untalented ppl in charge that's the problem.
                And IMO it is doing a massive disservice to all the fans out there who were the reason SG1/SGA and even SGU were so successful.

Originally posted by min min light View Post
                So did I - if I had seen that first I probably never would have watched the TV series.

Whether the movies are good or bad doesn't matter much to me, they're just a few hours of entertainment every couple of years or so - big deal.

If they had announced a Stargate TV series of any kind, though, I'd be opening a bottle of champagne right now.
                I was the opposite. After watching the movie i was like, this is good. Then when i heard they made a TV show based on it i was HECK YEA!

Comment

The only glimmer of hope is that, as stated in the article, neither are actually writing the story. Emmerich would direct, Devlin produce. Sure they would have their say but the script would be written by whoever with guidelines from both MGM and WarnerBros. I so really hope the studio execs tell Emm and Dev that the tv series are canon. A director and producer can be replaced if difficult, a fanbase is not as easy.

Personally, remaking the movie to have better origin stories is i think a good idea. We have to remember, the main character is the stargate itself, its the freaking title after all, so im fine with "us", present day humanity, not appearing in all the movies. As Fans of the TV series, we've had gaps in stargate history that needs to be filled, and these would make awesome Hollywood movies.

The first movie could be about the Alterans with Amelius as the main character in another galaxy. How he came to invent the stargates and why. Throw in a mysterious enemy called the Ori, lots of space battles, a primitive 4 or 5 gate system similar to the SGU gate but smaller like 10 feet diameter enough for people only to step through. End with their exodus to the Milky Way.

The second movie could be about the goa'ulds, especially Ra and Apophis settling on Earth and Abydos, using human slaves and Alteran technology to raise their status amongst the system lords, the birth of the Jaffas and eventually the underground resistance against the false gods leading to the uprising.

Then the third movie could be about "us" digging up the Giza stargate, going to Abydos and starting a fight with Ra that would result in Apophis wanting revenge for the death of his brother.

Writing this thing right, it could be awesome Hollywood stuff blowing up everywhere with entertaining stories but still keeping true to canon and opening the doors for more movies and/or new TV series.

Please MGM/Warner/Emmerich/Devlin... dont mess this up.

Comment

God yes please - ^ - please let the studio execs grow a brain cell and have it remain canon to the series. That could be it's only saving grace.
                    There are many fans on twitter today who are happy because they think it's going to pick up from the tv shows - I don't think they realise that that's unlikely to happen unless of course a miracle occurs and they do follow the series. But realistically thinking, I cannot see that happening. They've made it clear it's a reboot of the 1994 movie. Even Jacks name will be spelt differently.
                    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

All I can say is that I'm not interested and won't be going to see it. If they had finally given us the longed for SGA movie then I may have gone to the cinema to watch it, but as it is I've moved on and I'm completely indifferent to anything made by these people.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        Given that these two men hate the tv show I think it's safe to say that the reboot will just be a slightly jived up version of the 1994 movie....which was honestly a flop, no matter the spin and hype.

They have seen 20 years of Stargate success and think they can cash in on it, but the success came from a totally different version of the idea. If they're thinking that current fans will flock.....well basically they're repeating what cooper thought about his 'stargate command' and what they thought about Atlantis and SGU.....that as long as it has stargate in the title people will flock.

Can't say that it excites me. While I adored the TV show, the movie was always 'meh' to me. It was a package of cliches wrapped in some special effects.
                        For some time now, i've been waiting on the announcement. It was an inevitability and it was just a matter of time.

The movies were meh, but if i boot up some SG1S1 quite a bit of it is Meh too. SG1 doesn't really get going until season 3. So it might just be the time period of Meh.

There is a side benefit here by the way: emmerich has made numerous successful movies (independence day being the most-quoted) so there is a chance this is a backdoor popularity boost and all-round awareness increase for Stargate the TV series.

Lastly, there's absolutely no need for it to utterly ignore the TV show. Sg1 had "O'neill, with 2 L's" and i don't think MgM is dumb enough to not realize that a continuity nod would please SG fans a LOT.

Comment

I think the TV franchise as we know it is probably dead. The movie/movies will probably be terrible, rebooted to fit the vision of Emmerich/Devlin with no regard for the TV shows. If we ever see another Stargate TV show, I doubt it will anything like SG-1, Atlantis, or even Universe. The only ones who like it will be the people who like the new movie. I doubt that will be many of us.

This all seems like a big slap in the face to the fans who kept the Stargate franchise alive on TV for so many years.

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                          Essentially my dear friends... we are actually fans of a fairly rubbish franchise... and I say that with love.
                          I prefer to think that we have superior taste.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            Lastly, there's absolutely no need for it to utterly ignore the TV show. Sg1 had "O'neill, with 2 L's" and i don't think MgM is dumb enough to not realize that a continuity nod would please SG fans a LOT.
                            I hope you're right. But I won't be holding my breathe.

I also respectfully disagree with the person who said we are part of a rubbish franchise. I think the franchise is pretty good - as it is currently or as it was when the show was on tv. I also think we are part of an amazing fandom. This did not spring from the movie but rather from the series.
                            Still, I am baffled by this.
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Chelle DB
                              Rubbish may have been too strong a word for P90 to use, but Stargate is no Trek or SW. Stargate is what it is, a fairly light Action/adventure Scifi series. That does not make it "bad", it just makes it average. I rank it alongside stuff like Smallville, or Supernatural. Both are franchises I really enjoy(ed), and they had their truly spectacular "high moments", but for the most part they are pretty average. On the other hand, I never really expected a lot from any of them, so I didn't have a lot to be let down about and really enjoyed it even more when it surprised me.
                              To be fair however, as much as I loved the characters of the shows, it was always the stargate ITSELF that was the main draw for me.
                              What can I say, I like magic doors to adventure
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                                I hope you're right. But I won't be holding my breathe.

I also respectfully disagree with the person who said we are part of a rubbish franchise. I think the franchise is pretty good - as it is currently or as it was when the show was on tv. I also think we are part of an amazing fandom. This did not spring from the movie but rather from the series.
                                Still, I am baffled by this.
                                Nah it is pretty rubbish. Doesn't mean it can't be fun or anything - i certainly had my share- but booting up an episode, damn it doesn't age very well.

Comment

Working...
                                X