Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd rather watch S9 or S10 than the seasons where RDA phoned it in.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Britta View Post
      What about SG-1 season 7? When I think of classic SG-1, it's seasons 1-7. Thinking of classic style non-arc episodes, off the top of my head I can pick out Lifeboat and Revisions as great episodes. Lost City was a brilliant season finale too!

I don't see how you can include SGU but not SG-1 season 7. Despite all its good qualities, SGU is nothing like SG-1. Also, I don't see how you can compare the later seasons of SG-1 to Wormhole X-Treme. They may not be as good as the earlier seasons, but that's a bit harsh.
      Season 7 just didn't feel right to me. There was some episodes that had brilliant acting but at the same the story felt stale. There was something particularly off about the character dynamics. It's kinda hard to explain. All I can really tell you is that every time I have a re-watch of the show I go through season one through six perfectly fine, and then get completely bored in seven. And it's not like I've over watched it because I've seen it far less than the others, but there still isn't a single episode that can hold my attention and makes me feel invested in the characters. Not even Heroes.

I think my problem with all the later seasons, and SGA is the one big thing that SGU never had. I call it the "Big Damn Hero" effect. There was this growing feeling that the teams knew they were Heroes and just ended up coming across as unbeatable. In any TV show there's a delicate suspension of disbelief where you know full well that the heroes will get out of any given situation in the back of your mind, but for 40 minutes you forget that and you get a sense of the peril the characters are in. SG-1 lost that later on and SGA never had it except for Season one. That's why I now think of it as Wormhole X-Treme because it just becomes this over the top, technobabble filled, parody of itself; with the characters more or less snarking their way through each episode... That's an extreme and overgeneralized description I grant you...
      But...
      "Anyway, I'm sorry, but that just happens to be how *I* feel about it. What do you think?"

Of course all this coincides with the shows introducing the X-303 and the 304's.... which never helped any story ever. So therefore I'm instantly against a vast number of later episodes.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        This article in Forbes magazine has a few things to say about the prospect in terms of the original film:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...and-awareness/
        Definitely food for thought.
        Monica Zelenka lover since 2004! RDA fan since 1985! Lorne fan since 2003!
        sigpic
        Lady Pandora
        Atlantis Series: Retrospective Ruminations Unexpected

Comment

Season 7 just didn't feel right to me. There was some episodes that had brilliant acting but at the same the story felt stale. There was something particularly off about the character dynamics. It's kinda hard to explain. All I can really tell you is that every time I have a re-watch of the show I go through season one through six perfectly fine, and then get completely bored in seven. And it's not like I've over watched it because I've seen it far less than the others, but there still isn't a single episode that can hold my attention and makes me feel invested in the characters. Not even Heroes.

I think my problem with all the later seasons, and SGA is the one big thing that SGU never had. I call it the "Big Damn Hero" effect. There was this growing feeling that the teams knew they were Heroes and just ended up coming across as unbeatable. In any TV show there's a delicate suspension of disbelief where you know full well that the heroes will get out of any given situation in the back of your mind, but for 40 minutes you forget that and you get a sense of the peril the characters are in. SG-1 lost that later on and SGA never had it except for Season one. That's why I now think of it as Wormhole X-Treme because it just becomes this over the top, technobabble filled, parody of itself; with the characters more or less snarking their way through each episode... That's an extreme and overgeneralized description I grant you...
          But...
          "Anyway, I'm sorry, but that just happens to be how *I* feel about it. What do you think?"

Of course all this coincides with the shows introducing the X-303 and the 304's.... which never helped any story ever. So therefore I'm instantly against a vast number of later episodes.
          You mean they're like Episode 300, when they should've been Episodes 1-299?
          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
            You mean they're like Episode 300, when they should've been Episodes 1-299?
            In the sense that I didn't want the characters to expand and grow? No, they needed to change over time, that's what characters are supposed to do. The show just did it wrong.

Comment

In the sense that I didn't want the characters to expand and grow? No, they needed to change over time, that's what characters are supposed to do. The show just did it wrong.
              To be honest, REAL expansion and growth (imo) would have taken the opposite direction. I think after a while one or two of them may have been close to breaking point... to have had that many near death experiences, where escape was only via the hand of god, well... I'd expect it to take it's toll on the team, not for them to become super heroes. Particularly after losing people...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

But...
                I don't know. I like heroes being heroes, but I never saw where they thought they were unbeatable. I do think that the Ori were defeated maybe a little too easily and that the Wraith were weakened without explanation after season 1 of SGA. Still, I enjoyed watching and I do think the characters grew. Circumstances did have an effect on them. Ronon went from being a gruff loner to someone whose personality started to come out more and more. Sheppard and Beckett started out far more trusting, and for the latter compassionate, but by the end of the show one was jaded and the other couldn't stand the Wraith when he had been sympathetic to the fact that they couldn't change what they were in S1.

I do agree, though, that there was some writer/producer fatigue, but to me the epitome of that was shown in SGU. I won't get into it, but that's just how I feel and what I saw. Opinions vary.

I'd contend that the characters did change over time, but it's all relative to what one perceives.

sigpic

Comment

here's another article about the reboot -

http://www.wearemoviegeeks.com/2014/...boot-stargate/

feels even more insulting to the tv franchise fans.

man, i wish hank cohen was still in charge at mgm...
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post

It reads like the same press release that has been announced for days. <mod snip>
                    Last edited by Rosehawk; 01 June 2014, 06:14 PM. Reason: baiting
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

when i read it.....yeah it does feel insulting to the fans of the tv series

for me..... I personally think that in the 20 years since stargate was released...... the franchise has grown passed their "vision" for what it was or should've been into something that, for fans that have watched from sg1's children of the gods to sgu's gauntlet and have enjoyed those 300+ hours of entertainment

if MGM is serious about stargate being near and dear to them...... they should be somewhat respectful to the franchise that fans have come to care about..... not have weak ass character development and huge explosions that has been seen in some recent and classic movies....
                      Last edited by Sakura; 01 June 2014, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sakura View Post
                        when i read it.....yeah it does feel insulting to the fans of the tv series

for me..... I personally think that in the 20 years since stargate was released...... the franchise has grown passed their "vision" for what it was or should've been into something that, for fans that have watched from sg1's children of the gods to sgu's gauntlet and have enjoyed those 300+ hours of entertainment

if MGM is serious about stargate being near and dear to them...... they should be somewhat respectful to the franchise that fans have come to care about..... not have weak ass character development and huge explosions that has been seen in some recent and classic movies....
                        this was the line that got me: "Glickman said, “For us at MGM, there was no version of us further developing the Stargate franchise without Roland and Dean at the creative helm. This is their baby, and we cannot wait to bring their reenergized universe to the legions of fans around the world.”

it was 'their' baby for one movie, and then they gave away their rights. it was brad wright/jonathan glassner that took the concept and brought it to far-reaching heights. it was the TV FRANCHISE that made it a true hit.

i don't know how many 'stargate fans' are going to be grabbing onto this reboot, so i think it's going to be new ppl jumping on board. which is what i think mgm is hoping for.

(((tv franchise and fans)))
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

this was the line that got me: "Glickman said, “For us at MGM, there was no version of us further developing the Stargate franchise without Roland and Dean at the creative helm. This is their baby, and we cannot wait to bring their reenergized universe to the legions of fans around the world.”

it was 'their' baby for one movie, and then they gave away their rights. it was brad wright/jonathan glassner that took the concept and brought it to far-reaching heights. it was the TV FRANCHISE that made it a true hit.

i don't know how many 'stargate fans' are going to be grabbing onto this reboot, so i think it's going to be new ppl jumping on board. which is what i think mgm is hoping for.

There's still many fans who will be more than willing to see what they come up with. Even if you don't count people on the forum here, Star Trek clearly shows that a radically altered remake may divide a fan community but there are still a great many fans that still love them on top of bringing loads of casual cinema goers to the fun.

Comment

that's true it was "their" baby for the movie then I think they just got pissy because they saw how it progressed and how some fans came to care about the franchise as the years went on.... only to start talking about the movie being the first of a trilogy and wanting to fill in the blanks by ignoring the tv canon

There's still many fans who will be more than willing to see what they come up with. Even if you don't count people on the forum here, Star Trek clearly shows that a radically altered remake may divide a fan community but there are still a great many fans that still love them on top of bringing loads of casual cinema goers to the fun.
                            that's also true that it'll probably be casual goers.... but wont the fans of the tv series go to see if the movie is at least as good as the show was before decided they were better off just with stargate being on tv?

I mean 09 star trek did bring trek back..... probably not in the way that a lot of fans (myself included liked) as I said.... weak ass character development and explosions..... not a good movie they make (maybe good trailers but still....)

im just speaking for myself..... but I don't think the movie will satisfy long time fans..... it might attract new ones who'll go back and watch the 94 movie, sg1, atlantis and sgu to see why some fans really liked the franchise before the dumb ass reboot

Comment

I have often thought that any franchise that lasts a long time has fan divides. And no one has bigger divides than Star Trek. Just looking at this thread some will write off a new movie without trying while others will give it a chance. I do have to restate fandoms make a very very very small impact on movie sales
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

if this reboot is done well, it could be a huge hit.

but i still think the tv franchise fans, the ones that love sg1/atlantis/sgu and don't want an altered version, the ones that want this kind of attention and love shown to our stargate... are being pushed off to the side. emmerich and devlin have always had disdain for tv stargate fans, but now if feels like mgm does too.
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X