General Ship ( Relationship) Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SGLAB
    I'll admit to liking Shep and Weir as a possible ship pair. Speaking for myself though the "They are SO doing it!" Is not something I think seriously and I doubt many shippers of that pair seriously think that.

I personally see an interesting friendship which I think has the potential for something more. So those moments you speak of are just projecting to me. Being silly. But I also like talking about them in the relationship they have now and why I think they could work as a couple eventually. Although I really don't care if there is any cannon ship between them. Done well, I wouldn't mind, but I have my doubts about it being done well.
    I'm not an anti-shipper, but I also have doubts about the writers being able to do it well without damaging other characters. There are some excellent postings going on in some of the ship threads that are very interesting to read, though I sense some overanalysis.

I also worry about a few people going overboard to the point of total obsession with their favorite coupling. Its rather sad to see posts where a person states they would be "crushed" if their ship didn't come to pass. Or fans who go beyond the TV ship and try to carry it over to the real actor/actress. Its just a TV show for gosh sakes.

Comment

Originally posted by FireCat
      I'm not an anti-shipper, but I also have doubts about the writers being able to do it well without damaging other characters. There are some excellent postings going on in some of the ship threads that are very interesting to read, though I sense some overanalysis.
      Over analysis?

I also worry about a few people going overboard to the point of total obsession with their favorite coupling. Its rather sad to see posts where a person states they would be "crushed" if their ship didn't come to pass. Or fans who go beyond the TV ship and try to carry it over to the real actor/actress. Its just a TV show for gosh sakes.

Yeah, the day it gets to the point in Shep/Weir thread where people start saying they'd be crushed if it didn't happened is the day I leave the thread.

And I've heard about fans taking it into RL, with the actors, but so far only second hand telling.

Comment

* If X and Y don't get together, I'll DIE!
        * If X and Y don't get together, I'll stop watching!
        * If you don't think X and Y should get together, it's because you're a shriveled old hag!
        * They can't ship X and Z because Z is a talentless, ugly hack who has no right to be on the show! X and Y 4-EVAH!!!

Folks like that make shippers look bad. And while they're thankfully in the minority, they tend to be a very VOCAL minority.

What makes people get so melodramatic about something so... trivial? I mean, the dying/not watching thing I can understand as being a heat of the moment, non-serious thing for the most part, but attacking others because they disagree with you? Over a non-existent pairing (or semi-existent pairing) on a fictional TV show??

Comment

Originally posted by Jace
          ]What I liked about Pete was that he adored Sam. They definately made mistakes with the character; a character who was already set up to be disliked, but I loved the chemistry between the actors; it was fun and Sam looked happy--nice change of pace. Of course, he was a plot device from day one, so it was impossible to be invested in him. Poor guy.
          Absolutely... at least he looked like he was invested in the relationship and the character enough to be interested in what Sam was doing... but c'est la vie... he was not to be.

Originally posted by Dani347
          I have to wonder why they felt it was necessary to bring in third parties. It didn't help the storyline. I liked Pete, but he really didn't fit anywhere in the Stargate universe. Again, they could have used Barrett better for that. And, Kerry fit in better, but since she only existed for one episode, big deal. Were they created so people in the back row, like me, would finally understand that yes, yes, yes! Jack loves Sam and vice versa! Look, Sam called off her engagement! And, look! Kerry Plot Device broke up with Jack and he didn't stop her. It's love. Don't you see the thought bubble over his head with a picture of Sam in a wedding dress? Case closed, everyone believes it now. Except, no.
          Oooh... yes... Barrett... *Having a shallow moment*... And the nice thing about him is that he looks like he actually likes Sam...
          Reminds me of all the men who actually look like they liked Sam... many died and one had his heartbroken...
          sigpic
          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            * If X and Y don't get together, I'll DIE!
            * If X and Y don't get together, I'll stop watching!
            * If you don't think X and Y should get together, it's because you're a shriveled old hag!
            * They can't ship X and Z because Z is a talentless, ugly hack who has no right to be on the show! X and Y 4-EVAH!!!

Folks like that make shippers look bad. And while they're thankfully in the minority, they tend to be a very VOCAL minority.

What makes people get so melodramatic about something so... trivial? I mean, the dying/not watching thing I can understand as being a heat of the moment, non-serious thing for the most part, but attacking others because they disagree with you? Over a non-existent pairing (or semi-existent pairing) on a fictional TV show??
            This type of stuff is so very annoying, and unfortunately, you're not exaggerating. I've seen comments like this, mostly in other forums. But on GW, it pops up occasionally. One Shipper thread even had a history of it.

I'm a shipper (unabashedly), but I intensly dislike it even when fellow-shippers stay stuff like this. I'm sorry, but so far Atlantis is waaaaayyy too subjective in terms of Ship for anyone to be claiming "victory" like that, much less being condescending about it. I've only had one true experience like this with a fellow poster, and her multiple remarks lead her to be vilified even among her own shippers.

What's worse is that people get sucked into this argument, and feel the need to defend their own pairing against idiotic accusations such as the above! And you know what ends up happening? Shipper Wars! OMFG, is there anything more petty than Shipper Wars? I think not!! It brings out the petty, insecure, name-calling, speaking behind their backs, horrible side of everyone. It's like dealing with children! The insults are lobbied at the opposing ship, opposing characters, opposing shippers in general, and sometimes even the actors themselves (ah, I stand corrected. There is something more petty than shipper wars. It's actor-bashing).

I'm a Shep/Weir fan (for those that thought my sig was too subtle), but that doesn't mean I can't get along with Mckay/Weir fans or Shep/Teyla fans. They like one pairing and I like another? Why does that have to be a bone of contention? We're all reasonable adults (mostly), why can't we just agree to disagree, talk rationally, and leave it at that before it decomposes into spiteful comments?

Wanna sig? Ask me. I'll probably make you one.
            I would also like it noted that in The Long Goodbye,
            Spoiler:
            Weir asked John to be her husband, and he said yes!! HA!!! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
              Absolutely... at least he looked like he was invested in the relationship and the character enough to be interested in what Sam was doing... but c'est la vie... he was not to be.
              But at least he's not dead.

Oooh... yes... Barrett... *Having a shallow moment*... And the nice thing about him is that he looks like he actually likes Sam...
              I can see Barrett/Sam far more than I can see any other suggested ship.

Reminds me of all the men who actually look like they liked Sam... many died and one had his heartbroken...
              Yes, the reason that Jack remains in one piece is because he's not actually interested.

Comment

I didn't have much of a problem with Pete and Sam. Fans always want something different and the writers experimented with something new and it didn't go over. It definitely got people stirred up, which I think was the whole point.

Except, I don't think it was an experiment. I agree that Pete was doomed from the start. Only, since they let it get as far as it did, I let myself be deluded into thinking that maybe halfway, they decided since they weren't going to let her be with Jack, (and that they were under the delusion that Sam had to be with a man) that this plot device called Pete might see his way through.

Oh, and I don't have a problem with shippers saying they'll stop watching if characters don't get together. It's as valid or foolish as any other reason to stop watching a show. And, as long as it's just figurative exaggeration, I don't even mind them expressing the idea that they'll die if their characters don't hook up.
                I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Some overanalysis??!!

Originally posted by Whistler84
                  I'm a Shep/Weir fan (for those that thought my sig was too subtle), but that doesn't mean I can't get along with Mckay/Weir fans or Shep/Teyla fans. They like one pairing and I like another? Why does that have to be a bone of contention? We're all reasonable adults (mostly), why can't we just agree to disagree, talk rationally, and leave it at that before it decomposes into spiteful comments?
                  Indeed. I think sometimes ships turn into sports teams for some people. Rah rah rah for my side! We're going to beat the crud out of your side! (not really sure what they're winning though, except for a chance to make their ship canon and we saw how well canon Sam/Jack turned out...) We're the best! You suck!
                  For the most part shippers are respectful of other ships and shippers and generally keep to their own threads. Though I have seen some posters who openly despise certain pairings and still lurk in those threads for whatever reason. Stirring up trouble? Masochism? Who knows...

Comment

Over analysis?

Yeah, the day it gets to the point in Shep/Weir thread where people start saying they'd be crushed if it didn't happened is the day I leave the thread.

And I've heard about fans taking it into RL, with the actors, but so far only second hand telling.
                    I don't think I'd be crushed, just disappointed at the lack of followthrough...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

The 'overanalysis' in shipper threads is a big mix of interpolation, extrapolation, speculation, flights of fancy, wishful thinking and dot-joining. It probably does seem a bit, er, 'over' to outsiders, but to those in on the ship it's fun, it's a way of discussing something of interest from more angles than the limited number of obvious things, and the benign and chummy atmosphere of the ship threads means that stuff like "JMO" and "This is a flight of fancy" are taken as read.

And if you compare the amount of analysis in the shippy threads to the amount in the Science & Tech threads the shippers can't *possibly* be accused of going too far with analysis

(Not that I have a problem with the amount of analysis in the S&T threads. Like I said, if it's fun, and if it interests you... )

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
                        But at least he's not dead.
                        We can be thankful for small mercies...

Yes, the reason that Jack remains in one piece is because he's not actually interested.
                        I can just imagine the sign on his office door "Gone Fishing"

The man's enthusiasm for fish (or non-fish) was never in doubt, was it?
                        The Jack/Fish ship...
                        sigpic
                        "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

It is sad... and worrying, and the temptation to say "get a life" would be very great but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter as long as they don't trample on anybody else's parade. Sooner or later, people will catch on and see these individuals as a complete waste of space.

What does rub me the wrong way are persistent "ship" references by the same person in every thread (that have nothing to do with romance) in a misguided belief that GW is some kind of poll/petition... belying the belief that the more references of their favourite ship there are on the forum, the better the chance of seeing it actually coming to pass. Fortunately, it hasn't happened too much of late.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                            It is sad... and worrying, and the temptation to say "get a life" would be very great but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter as long as they don't trample on anybody else's parade. Sooner or later, people will catch on and see these individuals as a complete waste of space.

What does rub me the wrong way are persistent "ship" references by the same person in every thread (that have nothing to do with romance) in a misguided belief that GW is some kind of poll/petition... belying the belief that the more references of their favourite ship there are on the forum, the better the chance of seeing it actually coming to pass. Fortunately, it hasn't happened too much of late.
                            Whoever could you mean, EL?

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
                              Whoever could you mean, EL?
                              *blinks* Whatever do you mean? *blinks*

No one in particular just making an observation...
                              sigpic

Comment

I think most of us in the Shep/Weir thread are more interested in the combination of the two as leaders..... The interaction, and the fact that they've been forced into relying on each other..
                                As for taking it into real life --- NOT on Shep/Weir!!
                                It happens on another thread, from what I've heard, but I've never seen it....
                                I find it all disturbing, since it relates to the one actor we know who is married with kids -- projecting things onto him is just .... not classy!!

Comment

Working...
                                X