Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask Joe Mallozzi - Spoilers for SG-1 (S8, 9, 10) and SGA (S1, 2, 3)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Joe,

A couple of Stargate Atlantis questions....

1) What are the chances of Carl Binder writing more scripts in season 2? He's written some really great ones in season 1, and I'd love to see him continue.

2) Will Sgt. Bates, head of security, be back for season 2? Defintely hoping Dr. Zelenka continues in the series as well. Well, that's three questions, really...

Thanks.

Comment

Hey Joe,

Good work on season 8 and SGA, loving them both this year.

Just a quick one, someone said that Season 9 may be going back to look more into the past of the ancients, and "maybe even go there", do you now think that with the possibility of this it would be a perfect opportunity to bring the Nox back, and perhaps introduce the Furlings at long last? I'll go crazy if we never see either of those, (again).

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JMallozzi
        2. The Vala character will appear in the first five episodes of SG-1. Of course that doesn't preclude her returning for future episodes.

I guess this means she doesn't die at the end of this 5 story arc.

There's going to be quite a few changes at the beginning of S9 that will have to be explained in some form or other. Jack (RDA's) absence, a new base commander, Sam (AT's) temporary absence, a new leader of SG-1, Vala as a temporary member of SG-1, etc. I'm assuming these changes will be explained in the first one or two episode of the season.

As a writer, how do you tackle the challenge of explaining or incorporating all these changes to the audience while keeping the story moving? Were you or are you involved in writing the season opener? Can you give us a hint or two of the kinds of stories you are pitching?

Finally, I haven't seen it myself, but there's a new promo for the second half of S8 that ends with a shot of RDA, AT, and CJ, but no MS. Do you have any idea why it was done this way? (i.e Why no MS?) Okay, I'm guessing you probably don't, but maybe you could find out ... Also, you might want to let the promotion dept. and/or customer service dept know there are a lot of people who are not too happy about this and they should expect to receive a lot of emails, snail mail and phone calls about it.

SueS

Comment

MS was probably busy that day. There's no way in hell that it's an intentional slight. But if he was off filming another show/movie or being with his wife and kidlets or... caught in traffic or whatever and couldn't make it in to film the promos, then... give 'em the benefit of a doubt, eh? It was probably the only day RDA was available.

Speaking of the Ancients (thanks for the reminder, somme), if SG-1 is taking over the story of the Ancients, then what's left for the Atlantis crew to do? Or will they BOTH be exploring the Ancients/Atlanteans?
          Last edited by ShadowMaat; 16 January 2005, 02:18 PM.

Comment

We just discussed a script that begin to peel the onion on the wraith. Watch for it early in season 9.

Oops. I meant season 2 of Atlantis.

However, now that you mention it, Brad has pitched out the possiblity of doing a crossover.

Thank you Joe for answering my question I look forward to watching season 2 of Altantis and learning more about the wraith.
            "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigater
              we can't have that!
              It's lovely to see you posting so much! (don't wear yourself out!).

Speaking of going off-world..... with RDA's involvement so scaled down in s9 (assuming he agrees to participate in ANY eps *fingers, toes, arms and legs crossed* ) and no longer having to film around his schedule, will this translate to more off-world episodes in the future? Or is the shift in focus to more Earthbound stuff more to do with budget etc?

And I can assure you there are plenty of us who would LOVE to have more "behind the scenes" people at some of the cons. The actors are great, but it would be nice to hear more from the people who write/direct etc. You're the ones who put the words in their mouths, I'd love to more hear about how you create the show.
              Rick's availability never effected the types of stories we told (ie. off-world vs. earth-based) but did effect the way we told those stories (ie. scenes in which he would appear with the rest of the team, etc.). The show's budget, on the other hand, has dictated the types of stories we tell.

Actually, I was talking to Martin Wood the other day and he said he had a great time at the Level 3 con. Apparently, some of the attendees were surprised that - unlike many of the actors who have guested on the show - he and Peter were able to offer backstory and insight into many of the items up for bid at the auction.

I think Martin and Peter are terrific onstage and I'm surprised they haven't been asked to attend more cons. Also, Atlantis writer Martin Gero is a very funny guy and equally terrific onstage. He'd make a great guest as well.

Comment

Hi Joe,

First I want to thank you for taking the time to answer our questions and second I'm going to play shamelessly on the fact that today is my birthday and ask if you can give us any behind the scenes snippets from this season. Any bloopers or funny little anecdotes that stand out in your mind? The behind the scenes stuff is my favorite.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by nathanaus
                  Hi Joe,

Amazing you take the time to talk to us, thank you for that.

I have a different type of question for you.

How did you get involved with the show? Did someone call you up one day and say "Hey remember that movie in 94 called Stargate? You want to write for the Tv series?"

I'm curious on how you got involved in writing TV scripts, how you got into SG1. Why writing as opposed to acting? What made little Joe one day decided he wanted to be a writer when his friends wanted to be firemen.

Second question do you have a web site? where we can see what you have worked on, read your bio etc?

Third and last question - which do you prefer, writing or producing? Why?

The actors are great and all, but they are presenting what the writers give them. It's the writer that truely makes a show (In my opinion). I think being a writer for a Science Fiction show would be an amazing experience.

Thank you kindly for your time.
                  Our agent phoned us up one day and told us he had a client on a show called Stargate SG-1 (one Robert Cooper) and wondered if we were familiar with the show and would like to pitch. Paul and I were familiar with the show (but being less than impressed with the episode we'd seen - Emancipation). We ended up watching other episodes of the show and realized that it was a fun, clever series. We pitched out some ideas and our first script - Scorched Earth - landed us a staff position.

I don't have a website. IMDB have some of my credits but they're not up-to-date. By the way, if you're checking the site, my birthday is Oct. 16, not Oct. 15 (in the event you're planning a surprise party).

As for choosing between writing and producing...I can't say I prefer one over the other. I like certain aspects of writing and producing - and dislike other aspects.

Comment

Originally posted by Dana_Jeanne
                    Hey Joe--
                    Who puts together the commercials that Sci Fi runs every day for SG1? Is it someone at Sci Fi, or one of the editors at Bridge?
                    Thanks-
                    Dana Jeanne
                    We have nothing to do with the commercials. That's all SciFi.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                      Hi Joe,

A couple of Stargate Atlantis questions....

1) What are the chances of Carl Binder writing more scripts in season 2? He's written some really great ones in season 1, and I'd love to see him continue.

2) Will Sgt. Bates, head of security, be back for season 2? Defintely hoping Dr. Zelenka continues in the series as well. Well, that's three questions, really... Thanks.
                      1. Good new for you Carl Binder fans. He has joined the writing staff and is hard at work on some new Atlantis stories.

2. If I told you everyone who'd be back, I'd be ruining the back half of season 1 for you. Suffice it to say...there will be changes at the Atlantis base. And, oh yeah - an unexpected loss. For the who and how, check out the big season finale Siege I and II.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                        MS was probably busy that day. There's no way in hell that it's an intentional slight. But if he was off filming another show/movie or being with his wife and kidlets or... caught in traffic or whatever and couldn't make it in to film the promos, then... give 'em the benefit of a doubt, eh? It was probably the only day RDA was available.

Even if there was a reasonable explanation for his absence, don't you think they could have figured out some way to include him in the final shot? They could've edited him in or used some stock footage of the team or something.

It's not as though Stargate SG-1 is a large ensemble team and the absence of one team member might not be noticed. SG-1 is a four man (okay, now it's a three man) team, so the absence of one team member is going to be noticed. I think people would be having the same "what the heck is going on here" reaction if any of the other team members were missing from the final shot.

Also, since Daniel is going to have some major storylines in the second half of S8 and he is a member of SG-1, it would probably be wise to include him in the final team shot.

SueS

Comment

1. Good new for you Carl Binder fans. He has joined the writing staff and is hard at work on some new Atlantis stories.

2. If I told you everyone who'd be back, I'd be ruining the back half of season 1 for you. Suffice it to say...there will be changes at the Atlantis base. And, oh yeah - an unexpected loss. For the who and how, check out the big season finale Siege I and II.
                          Good news on Carl Binder! THanks.

#2 - As long as Zelenka doesn't bite the bullet.... Oh well, just two more weeks and we'll know (well, the Canadians will know and everybody else won't be far behind... )

Comment

Our agent phoned us up one day and told us he had a client on a show called Stargate SG-1 (one Robert Cooper) and wondered if we were familiar with the show and would like to pitch. Paul and I were familiar with the show (but being less than impressed with the episode we'd seen - Emancipation). We ended up watching other episodes of the show and realized that it was a fun, clever series. We pitched out some ideas and our first script - Scorched Earth - landed us a staff position.

I don't have a website. IMDB have some of my credits but they're not up-to-date. By the way, if you're checking the site, my birthday is Oct. 16, not Oct. 15 (in the event you're planning a surprise party).

As for choosing between writing and producing...I can't say I prefer one over the other. I like certain aspects of writing and producing - and dislike other aspects.
                            I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

October 16? Do we send the gifts direct to the studio? Of course if we were planning a surprise party we couldn't tell you - what would be the point of the surprise? However, if you really want to know you'll just have to watch the end of season 9 to find out 40 this year huh? Sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanaus
                              October 16? Do we send the gifts direct to the studio? Of course if we were planning a surprise party we couldn't tell you - what would be the point of the surprise? However, if you really want to know you'll just have to watch the end of season 9 to find out 40 this year huh? Sweet.
                              Pssst... I hear he can be bought off with Krispy Kremes.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                                Pssst... I hear he can be bought off with Krispy Kremes.
                                What are you implying? That I'm sucking up to him? Pfft I was genuinely curious about how he got involved in the show. We always hear about hte actors - never hear much about the people behind the scenes. Even the DVD behind the scenes concentrate more on the actors than the true behind the scenes stuff. Unless Peter DeLouise gets on then you see his office with Sharay's (spelling??) body in the corner, and his wall covered in concept drawings.

Krispy Kremes, we got our first one of those stores here a year or so ago. I have no idea how you (general you not you in particular ms witty/sarcasm/scary person) can eat them. They go off the chart for sweetness.

Comment

Working...
                                X