This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Watters87
    And for the love of God don't make the character Ben plays fall with Carter. We already have enough.

i'll just add a very loud 'PLLEEASSEEEE!!!!' to that.
    Michelle's Fanfic Here My Original Fic

Comment

Adam Baldwin defintely woulda been my choice. Ben Browder...eh. just another pretty boy. don't do much for me. and please god, don't let s9 descend into the endless potty humor that the last season of farscape did. bleh, double bleh, triple bleh. That drek is why i have no desire at all to ever watch the show from teh beginning no matter how many folks tell me it's great

It'll just be interesting to see how he's brought in. Try and mimic jack and he'll fail. We'll have another Jonas syndrome.

Yeah, i agree the the show DESPERATELY needs new blood.....woulda just been nice had it been more enticing blood.

oh well, there's always atlantis...and since that seems to be the only show TPTB care about this just might make stargate easier to give up
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Ummm interesting, i'm one of those fans that has no idea who this fella is as i did'nt watch
        Farscape, but i do think it is a great idea to
        bring in "new blood"

SPOILERS FOR S7 Heroes and S8

\
        \
        \
        \
        \
        \
        \
        \
        \
        With the loss of Janet and Hammond the show lost to much imho and needs somthing more.

As a fan a pic of said fella would be great as
        i'm dying to see what he looks like!
        ......TARA......

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
          I watched Farscape for two years then I lost interest
          Same here I lost interest in the show after a while, it was not entertaining and nor did it have any compelling stories to tell (I’m going to get in trouble for this by Farscape fan).
          "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
            It's o.k. Suekay. It's a shock to be sure. I think many of us will feel better once we know what's what with the rest of the cast. And as of right now I don't think even TPTB's know what's what with the rest of the cast and that makes me nervous.
            Not only does that make me nervous, but it makes me seriously wonder if TPTB have a clue as to what they will be doing in season 9. Is this common practice with prime time TV shows to go on to the next season without having a confirmed cast?

Comment

I've been reading everyones thoughts and am now ready to give you mine....

I've only watched a few parts of some episodes of Farscape. I couldn't really get into the storylines. (perhaps becuase I found out about it after the show was well established.) From what I've seen of Ben, I think he's a great actor and could bring some new life into the SG-1 stories. I'm looking forward to how TPTB introduce and develop his character and how the dynamics of the other characters will be with his. I do believe that he will be a different character than Jack but will be good addition with the fact that RDA will not be around much.

RDA is who got me to start watching the show in the first place, but it was all the characters that kept me here. If RDA is not around any longer, I'll be disappointed, but I'll still be excited to watch because of the other characters. (I stuck with SG-1 when MS left, though I was extremely disappointed about it.)
              No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

I'd rather have Anna-Louise Plowman in SG-1... there're enough guys in the show! (Ben is hot though...)

Comment

Well, I'm still not sure that this is a good idea but I love Stargate and I have faith in TPTB so I'll give it a shot, even if (please no!) there is no RDA next season. But contrary to the Stargate/Sci-Fi fan stereotype the show is not my entire life. If it ends up to be a disaster of epic proportions then I'll simply stop watching. I'm only one person and whether I watch the show or not will have little to no impact so I'm not kidding myself. I'm not saying that I'll stop watching as some sort of threat. Like most people I watch what I like and I don't watch what I don't like. Simple as that. So here's hoping that Ben Browder will indeed bring some "fresh blood" onto the show and that it will be as good or better than ever. If not, there's always Atlantis.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Wass
                    Same here I lost interest in the show after a while, it was not entertaining and nor did it have any compelling stories to tell (I’m going to get in trouble for this by Farscape fan).
                    Please. Are the fans of either show really that juvenile? I thought Farscape was one of the best sci-fi shows, and shows in general. You obviously disagree. Why in the world would that make me upset? Because someone disagrees? Same thing when people get all upset when someone makes one critical comment about any aspect of Stargate. If everyone liked the exact same thing, there would only be one show on tv. I'd like to imagine that we're mature enough to not get all bent out of shape if someone doesn't happen to agree with us on something like a tv show.

But, I really hope that the issue is never actually about Farscape, because that shouldn't have any bearing. BB is not Farscape. He's best known for that, but he's an actor. Who should get the chance to play other characters. So, again, I hope that people who didn't like Farscape won't have to worry about it on Stargate.
                    Last edited by Dani347; 15 December 2004, 09:46 AM.
                    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by mtee1958
                      As stated before I hope RDA stays on -- but with him being on the show less and less - you can't blame TPTB for wanting to add someone to the mix. I've watched JAG for 8 years and this year it's boring - there's nothing more to say -- the characters are stale. NOW SG1 is not stale (so put those flames away!), but you can see it going that way -- there are already, in my mind, too many on Earth eps. The existing storylines are ready to come to a closure.
                      Let's put it down simply -- the success of SG1 is the team, but RDA, and not TPTB, decided he didn't want to be on as much, so you have already lost the main dynamics -- . Now do you just let it limp along with we faithful watching because we will watch it no matter what -- or do you try and revitalize it? How do you do that -- well, if you can't get RDA to come back for more eps -- mind you he wants to do even less! - then you have to add someone new and mix things up. Change can be good. And there will always be fans who don't want anything to change - they are comfortable with their show and that's that. Well, ok, you can't help that. But if you want to have a GOOD 9th season, and not an inferior season in comparison to past years, then shake things up. Ben will do that -- don't make him John Crighton, but someone else. And let's give it a chance.
                      I can only speak for myself.

As I stated earlier I am concerned with complete dynamic of *SG1* changing...

Change is good but if you have to bring in almost an entire new cast over time guess what you no longer have the same show.

Star Gate already has a show about the Stagate with a brand new cast...it is called Star Gate Atlantis... is there a reason TPTB need to have a *beloved* show be pulled this way and that - drop off established characters one by one REGARDLESS of the choice (actor or PTB) to the point that NONE of the original characters are there nor are any of the fans that started out with the show.

I am not saying any of this is bad. But I do think it diminishes the creditablity of TPTB over time. The more this happens the more you hear fans say *Let it bow out with dignity*

$$$ is a powerful motivater and that is what these people are here for. This is *Show BUSINESS* and so while I don't begrudge the earning of that dollar. I do begrudge TPTB sometimes forgetting that I, as a fan, am where that dollar comes from

Tame
                      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

This thread started hot and continued burning! Wow!

As to BB on SG-1...I found SG because of "Farscape" and still enjoy the FS reruns (if I'm awake that late).

One of my favorite things about SG is that TPTB gives the actors opportunities to "tweak" their characters or play others. Witness "Tin Man", Replicarter, the various AU stories, SGA's "Home".

So I'm looking forward to seeing BB play someone other than John Crichton on a regular basis. (I'm not counting the TV movies he's appeared in...that's limited exposure.)

G.
                        Gilder

You can contact me through my GW Forums profile (email preferred) or on Facebook.

www.chimaeracon.com

Comment

I like the news of new charaters, it's the only way to continue the show, even through they should just end the thing. Ben Browder [mod snip], I can't stand him, he could hardly act on Farscape, and when he did it was over the top. They should have done this the last 2.5 seasons ago. Oh wait they did and then got rid of him. Just end the show for the sake of God.
                          Last edited by GateWorld; 15 December 2004, 01:53 PM.
                          It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Add me to the list who thinks this is fantastic news. Absolutely wonderful. The thought of MS and BB onscreen together? <<Fans self.>>

Of course, this is coming from the perspective of someone who is a diehard Scaper and had never even heard of Jack O'Neill, Daniel Jackson, Sam Carter, and Teal'c until about a year ago (unless you count the movie). I own the entire season of Farscape on DVD, which is quite a financial commitment, as those DVD's are horrendously overpriced.

Anyway, I would hope that TPTB would realize that writing Ben's character similar to Crichton would be a bad idea. Also, add me to the list asking that they please, please don't have his character fall in love with Carter (gag...blech).

If Jack is only going to be in a couple of episodes, they need a strong military presence. Perhaps that is what Ben's role will be? He would be great in a role like that, IMHO. People talked about the possibility of Adam Baldwin that. Why not Ben?

Roll on season 9! I'm extremely excited. And I'm going spoiler free too!. Woohoo!

Comment

Originally posted by David85
                              I like the news of new charaters, it's the only way to continue the show, even through they should just end the thing. Ben Browder frankly sucks, I can't stand him, he could hardly act on Farscape, and when he did it was over the top. They should have done this the last 2.5 seasons ago. Oh wait they did and then got rid of him. Just end the show for the sake of God.

I'm a bit confused. They should have done what? Put BB on 2.5 years ago? But, that can't be it, considering you're opinion of him. And, who did they get rid of? Again, not BB, because he hasn't been on Stargate yet, and he was never gotten rid of in Farscape. So, who or what is this about? I'm curious!
                              I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation, Joe! You are appreciated!

Okay everyone, just calm down! I don't understand this talk about Ben Browder "replacing" RDA. The only way they could do that is by saying "Hey, Jack got a facelift, now he looks like John Crichton!" Obviously Ben is going to be playing his own character and not "replacing" anyone.

And, sure, if someone tunes in and sees Season 9 they might say "Hey, it's John Crichton," I have plenty of friends who see me watch Stargate and say "Hey, it's MacGyver!" Who gives a rip, just watch the show and enjoy the new character. Obviously Joe and the other PTB know what the frell they're doing since so many people are in love with their show (some rabidly so), so let's give them the benefit of the doubt.

For all you nay-sayers who want to "kill the show while it's good" and "keep RDA if we have to do it at gunpoint" either get over it or stop watching, don't try to ruin it for the rest of us. I love Rick, but this isn't Stargate-RDA, and the addition of Ben Browder isn't going to make it Stargate-Ben, either.

A show that's been running this long has to adapt and evolve or it will become tired, formulaic, and stale. Thank goodness TPTB are aware of this, and have a plan to combat it. Ultimately, if you don't like the direction Stargate is going, don't watch; I respect that because it's the best way to do it. For instance, I never like the show "Angel," but I never called for it's cancellation, and I was honestly sad when it was gone because a lot of people I know here liked it. Let those of us that still enjoy Stargate to enjoy this new direction and this new future for Stargate SG-1.

*Waiting for Shadow's "Stargate at any cost" speech...3...2...1...*
                                Last edited by Major Tyler; 15 December 2004, 10:21 AM.
                                Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Working...
                                X