This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JMallozzi
    Yup, its true. Ben Browder will be joining the cast for SG-1's 9th season.

I met Ben at this year's Saturn Awards and, while telling him how much my wife and I enjoyed Farscape, he told me how much he and his son enjoy SG-1. In fact, Michael Welch was on the red carpet being interviewed at the time and Ben looked over and noted "Hey, it's Young Jack".

He's a terrific actor and we look forward to working with him.

JM

And i certainly look forward to seeing him!!! Yummy..and a fine actor too of course. Brilliant. But yummy....
    Michelle's Fanfic Here My Original Fic

Comment

I"m all for Ben Browder joining the cast as with RDA basically popping up as a 'guest star' (and I suspect we'll see even less of him in season 9), that a new character is needed to infuse life into the team. Mind you, I really like all the characters, but they've become rather comfy in their spots and need someone to show up to give them some conflict.

Comment

I met Ben at this year's Saturn Awards and, while telling him how much my wife and I enjoyed Farscape, he told me how much he and his son enjoy SG-1. In fact, Michael Welch was on the red carpet being interviewed at the time and Ben looked over and noted "Hey, it's Young Jack".

JM
        I look forward to seeing him worked with. Good guy? Bad guy? SG-1 team member number four?

*realizes begging for spoilers is a long shot but figured it was worth it*
        www.gatefic.net

Comment

Saw Farscape. Liked most of what I saw (except for the last season) but Ben didn't really stand out as all that great to me. *shrug* Ah well. I've pretty much had as much as I can take of SG-1, anyway. Onward to Atlantis!

Comment

Ehm...

Not too happy with this

If he's a villain that's great but...

It's getting a bit like a soap opera with the sci fi genre actors swapping shows all the time. One off guest spots or one or two episodes is fine...

I don't really see this working
            sigpic
            Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

JM
              The biggest question on my mind is ....is Ben replacing RDA or just joining the cast overall?
              I am a huge Farscape AND Ben Browder fan and am happy to hear he is coming to SG1 but I am also a HUGE RDA fan and I am not sure I am willing to trade one for the other.

I came to enjoy each actor in those prospective roles. As much as I enjoy Ben..I can't say I am willing to forgo RDA as Jack O'Neill for an unknown role being played by Ben. Nor am I sure I want to see the *Team* dynamic of the four actors that endeared me to SG1 to begin with, so disrupted that the show is no longer what I thought it was.

Tame
              Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

I guess this means Farscape is definitely over then?
                Michelle's Fanfic Here My Original Fic

Comment

Seems a bit incestuous to me, recycling such big name actors from big name shows. But I guess a majority of people are happy with it and TPTB obviously are, so that's all that matters. And I know they NEED a big name to fill in the gap, I guess I was just hoping they'd find someone less... blatantly obvious? *shrug* There go all my dreams of seeing Nick Lea on weekly television again.

Comment

I don't mind a sci-fi actor going from one sci-fi show to another, but I do think having him as a recurring character would work better than having him as a regular.

So, can we get some actual confirmation that he's not replacing anyone? Not even Jack. I mean, as another cast member, yeah, but I'd also hate for him to be Jack 2.0 to help people get over Original Jack not being there. He is going to be a character in his own right, right? We already had a mini-Jack.

Again, Farscape was one of my top favorite shows, and I think it was better than Stargate. And, John Crichton was one of my most favorite characters ever, but Farscape just wasn't that big a show, and BB is no more famous than the cast members of SG1. And, he's less famous than RDA. So, it makes no sense to me for him to be brought on because of his name.
                    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Well, I'd like to thank Joe for confirming this so quickly. At least there's no arguing over whether this news is accurate or not.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
                        The biggest question on my mind is ....is Ben replacing RDA or just joining the cast overall?
                        I am a huge Farscape AND Ben Browder fan and am happy to hear he is coming to SG1 but I am also a HUGE RDA fan and I am not sure I am willing to trade one for the other.

I came to enjoy each actor in those prospective roles. As much as I enjoy Ben..I can't say I am willing to forgo RDA as Jack O'Neill for an unknown role being played by Ben. Nor am I sure I want to see the *Team* dynamic of the four actors that endeared me to SG1 to begin with, so disrupted that the show is no longer what I thought it was.

Tame
                        If Ben Browder's new character is used in anyway to replace Jack O'Neill, then I predict a downward spiral of the show. Do they just want to turn SG-1 into Farscape? I have watched a few episodes off and on, and it just wasn't the show for me. And you cannot take away the main character/main focus of the show (the original SG-1 team dynamic) and expect the show to continue.

If anything, SG-1 will lose some RDA fans, and possibly gain some Farscape fans. But if those Farscape fans are expecting season 9 to be like their old show, they won't be happy. Without the original 4 actors on the show for season 9, I'll pretty much be finished watching in March.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                          Seems a bit incestuous to me, recycling such big name actors from big name shows. But I guess a majority of people are happy with it and TPTB obviously are, so that's all that matters. And I know they NEED a big name to fill in the gap, I guess I was just hoping they'd find someone less... blatantly obvious? *shrug* There go all my dreams of seeing Nick Lea on weekly television again.
                          from the sounds of SciFi's own posted

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-s...2/15/11.00.sfc

"SCI FI Channel confirmed that Farscape star Ben Browder will join the cast of SCI FI's original series Stargate SG-1. Browder will join the cast in the show's upcoming ninth season; no information on Browder's role was available. Meanwhile, the show's producer, MGM, is still working on a deal to bring back SG-1 star Richard Dean Anderson (Gen. O'Neill) in some capacity."

They don't have RDA back in any official capacity yet, so because they're about a month away from production starting up, they have to gear up the cast. Getting Browder in the fold means SciFi could conceivably bank on a lot of Farscape fans becoming fans of SG1.

We'll just have to wait and see what the writers do.

Comment

I'm really thinking this is a bad move.

I love RDA.

As someone once said, and I can't remember who

Sam is the scientist, Daniel is the conscience, Teal'c is the warrior and Jack is the glue that holds them all together.

The three remaining members I think, could go on without Jack, but if we add a new team member in...it'll change the whole dynamic.

The dynamic's changed enough in recent years, and if BB is a replacement for RDA...

...I'm not I'm gonna watch

I'm sorry, but I'm just being honest, and I agree with Shadowmaat
                            sigpic
                            Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

OK...I'm no Farscape fan but this definately sounds interesting. As someone previously mentioned, the Scaper community is of a similar size to the Gater community and I don't think that's a co-incidence. The money in my pocket says that some Scifi Channel marketing guy had something to do with this.

Having said that, SG1 DOES need a 4th member for S9(heck it really needed one for S8) and if that means signing up the Farscape lead guy(hopefully not as a superior officer to Sam) then I'll see what TPTB come up with!
                              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

LOL Shadow .. I have to agree with you as well. While I would rather see SG1 bow gracefully and walk, gate, into the sunset with dignity and heads held high, then start a revovling door of actors, big name or otherwise,. It really is about *Are there people willing to watch*...if there is then it will go on. I like Ben and I think he wil make a fine addition to the show...BUT somewhere there has to be a line of quality...doesn't there?

Tame
                                Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Working...
                                X