This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Major Tyler
    Incidentally, why would Stargate need a "desperate grab for ratings?" Aren't the rating pretty good given that there is going to be a 9th season?
    A lot of people watch Stargate for RDA and I know a fair few who'll refuse to watch without him around. If enough people feel similarly, it could have an impact on ratings, which is probably why they picked someone so... trendy. But I'm gonna bow out of the discussions now because as I've said before, I won't be watching S9 so I'll take my own advice and shut up.

Comment

We've added a new poll to this thread:

Is the addition of Ben Browder to the SG-1 cast a good move?
      - Frell yeah!
      - Noooo
      - We'll just have to wait and see

Scroll up to vote!

Comment

Right, finally ready to add my thoughts!
        The person who mentioned Corin Nemec coming in for season six has a point; initially I didn't want to see another actor come in, I was very comfy with the team as it was & it took me a while to adjust to Jonas in season six, & then....Jonas became a fresh pair of eyes, a character who was new to the stargate universe & actually freshened my view of it. In the end, although I was ultimately glad to see Daniel Jackson back as a character, I don't think the show would have been damaged irreperably for me if he hadn't.
        I'm hoping the same applies as RDA gradually reduces his involvement. Jack is a wonderful character & gorgeous with it, & I would REALLY miss him if he went completely, but people do, & if it's handled well, hopefully the grief will not be all consuming! However, I'm drifting off topic, back to BB.
        I watched the first season of farscape avidly & really enjoyed it, but subsequent seasons became disappointing as the show followed a thread I didn't like, but earlier in this thread someone said BB was completely OTT as an actor. I feel that John Crichton was OTT as a character because of the direction the show took - a character is a fusion between actors, writers, directors. Judging by the following Stargate has & how much of that is to do with how the characters were developed over the years, I'm hoping for good things!! A fresh character = a new perspective on a show we all love (why else would we be here?!!). Bring it on:whoever the character turns out to be, at least we won't run out of things to discuss!!!*stops for a drink!*
        Oy-Vey!!!

Comment

I have mixed feelings about this. When Corin Nemec was joining for season 6 I remember alot of hostility toward him and wanted him to go away, now alot of people want him back! If RDA joins and BB joins the cast, but doesn't replace RDA it could very cool, I still think SG-1 needs a 4th team member. If he replaces RDA then I think it will depend on the manner of RDA's departure and how well BBs character is developed.

Comment

Originally posted by Unas
            A regular character means he'll appear in almost every episode and have his name on the front credits with the music. Janet was never a regular and she appeared in only 40% of episodes.

I know Janet wasn't a regular, but would it have surprised anyone if they had bumped her to regular? She almost was. I know what regular means, and I'm just saying that it isn't inconceivable for them to make a doctor a regular character. Janet was almost one, and just bump up screen time and put the actor in the credits, and there you go.
            I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

I'll be happy as long as the main emphasis is on the TEAM and that RDA is still there a little.

I'd be ecstatic if BB had a role similar to season 1 Atlantis and Beckett. That'd be perfect.
              sigpic
              Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by jued0001
                I don't want to get my hopes up too much - but this would frelling ROCK.

I'm on board FRELL YEAH! I was lamenting that another season of Jack lite would be torment, but if we do Jack lite and add in a rockin' Ben Browder - I think we might not miss RDA as much as we thought ( please don't kick me out of the RDA fan club!)....depending on the character they write for him.

I think if they give him a Chritonesque/Jackish Character to play, it could play into the series quite nicely...because in the absence of action Jack, we've missed all the fun, sarcasm, manly, service man that fills out the group. And though RDA's grey doesn't bother me ONE BIT....it would be nice for Browder's brown to step into place.

No one can replace RDA, but I have to tell you this is very exciting to me....perhaps a new life breathing into SG-1!

To keep my shipper license....he can't put the moves on Carter though!

S

Comment

I voted yea in the poll. When a show goes this long, imo, needs an infusion of new blood in the series or it would go down hill.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd
                    This is the best SG-1 new I´ve heard in a long time. I´m a big fan of Browders and (dare I say it here ) I always thought that Farscape was even better then stargate (great as this series is)

Btw, isn´t Amanda pregnant and might therefore miss the first 5-10 episodes of the next season? If so then they really do need to bring in another member to keep the number at 3, especially as without her there is no member that belongs to the military.

I never watched Farscape, except for the miniseries in October(and I did enjoy the leather pants) so I won't have any identity problems when I see him onscreen. I think TPTB are bringing him in to cover for the fact that AT is going to be either unavailable or available on a very limited basis when they start filming next year. She's due to deliver her baby in March. I'm wondering how they'll explain Sam's absence?? Honeymooning with Pete? I'm betting that he's going to wind up as SG1's fourth. Somebody said maybe they'll make him a marine-sounds good to me. I'm not happy that RDA won't be full time next year(if he shows up at all), but I can't blame him for wanting to be home with his kid more. I can't see them making BB the new head of the SGC-I think he's too young. I'm kinda excited about S9 now.

Proud Member-Hussies Union, Local # 69

Comment

I think us men need another woman on the team, there are enough men, lol.

Comment

Hi,

my first post here.. usually a lurker. Have watched SG-1 since the beginning and picked up Farscape around Season 2 and then watched the whole thing on re-runs.

Having just read the 8 pages of this thread.. I think there's a few points need addressing.

1. The name of this show, as was pointed out earlier is Stargate: SG-1 not.. RDA the space adventures. He has had a long career, feels he's earned time off and has the means to do it. More power to him. Him leaving the show does *NOT* equate to 'They're better off ending the show.' You don't know that, you *can't* know that.. it depends on the *STORIES* they tell and the imagination of the writers will determine that. Will it be the same without him? *No!* But, if you only watch the show for RDA.. then, you should move on.. and not take out the torches and pitchforks, getting ready to kill and maim some perceived future abomination of a show. The universe this show is set in has a lot of possibilities.. and I'd like to see them try. Personally, I hope RDA sticks around as a character in the background but if that's not good enough for you then don't let the door hit you on the way out.. if you can't accept SG-1 without RDA don't ruin it for the rest of us by bad-mouthing it.

2. BB. He's a *GOOD* actor, having watched 4 seasons of Farscape.. I can tell you he has good range and the ability to convey a lot with his skills, IMHO much better than CN did. Knowing nothing about the character he will be playing, his addition can only be a boon to the series. Season 8(at least the first 11 episodes), have not been as strong as past seasons. The show needs new blood and, new ideas(more on this below). Personally, I hope that the current 3 members of SG-1 come back and he makes the 4th. To those who say this show is all about the character's interactions when they travel and encounter various phenomena.. I totally agree, and as the Heroes storyline and Atlantis to a much greater extent have shown, if there is a good dynamic and a believability in the characters interactions then these can be good stories to watch. Will BB acheive that? Won't know until we see.. I hope so. And if he can, and the writers can write interesting stories I'll be around for Season 9, 10, 11...

3. The show started from the raw materials of the movie.. badass alien and a stone ring that suddenly and immeasurably increases our reach across the universe. The Goa’uld, Replicators, Asgaard, Aschen, Ancients, etc. all then came from the interaction and reaction of humanity having access to such radical new capabilities and our attempts to cope with it. This is a very rich and deep vein with many possibilities(Atlantis).. and nothing says that more new and interesting stories aren't capable of happening with the right catalysts.. those being the actors of SG-1. My point, if you're starting to wonder, is that writing off something new because it won't be the same as the old is foolhardy, writing off the new 'cause its crappy OTOH is quite reasonable. We won't really know that until we see what is being offered and I for one will be there with an open mind.

-V

Comment

Clearly TPTB didn't learn from their mistakes with Jonas. Trying to introduce and develop a new character whilst doing a show's "final" year is just going to lead to disaster, especially with RDA all but absent and AT missing for the first bit of the Season.

Atleast if they'd brought Jonas back they'd already have a partially developed character rather than having to start from scratch.

BYE
                          "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaBlu
                            Clearly TPTB didn't learn from their mistakes with Jonas. Trying to introduce and develop a new character whilst doing a show's "final" year is just going to lead to disaster, ...BYE
                            Unlike most other seasons, no one has said yet that S9 will be the last one. I believe this time they intend to go longer.

Comment

Huh. I voted we'll just have to wait and see, but I think all of the above and then some would have been more accurate.
                              I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

I think it may bring in a few scapers and increase the ratings. As for how he fits in (or even who his character is) we'll have to wait and see.Remebering how good he was on Farscape, I'm willing to give him a chance.

Comment

Working...
                                X