Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to go now - the local library is open finally!

Recommended Reading Keyes Briar King and Charnel Prince

-oops they have poetry and arts reference but they do have some excellent and believable action scenes !

I like Birds of Prey but cos Gail Simone has a sense of irony

I dont read it for the fight scenes

I like Elfquest and Stargate SG1 but I dont want to see them insulted by being used as a basis for any game that condones or encourages violence.

Anyone here here seen Liberty Meadows - that has violence which I tolerate cos its usually Ralph or Dean receiving the consequences fo their own earlier actions as slapstick revenge. Besides I just love Oscar!

I do tolerate some violence in its proper place and context.

I dont think shooter games are appropriate morally or stylisticly.

Also recommended for reading -

Nicomachean Ethics and Muyasashi' 9 rings.

finally a sanskrit pun - if any buddhists are lurking while i'm gone feel free to explain it- its ironic considering where it comes from ...

Gate gate paragate parasamsgate !!!
    Keep the science in SciFi!

Comment

There's really nothing left to be said, neith. Well, except that I played a game today about some chinese battle centuries ago. It was FPS and I killed lots of ethical zen catholic buddists in it.....well okay, they might not have been catholics..........but I was thinking of you while I enjoyed the game.

Comment

[QUOTE=neith4]
        Originally posted by LtNOWIS
        Have you ever played an FPS game?

No they're against my personal zen catholic ethics set but I have seen other people play them.
        Well, in that case, I really don't think it's appropriate for you to judge their strategic merits. It's insulting to say that you know better than us in that regard, considering you are in much worse position to know them.

I dont play voilent games - I regard most of them as unethical.
        So, do you think there's anything that makes a First Person shooter eviler than a Third Person shooter? Or any other violent game? I personally don't.

It is not logical to presume that cos most of the gamers you know are allegedly "nice" people that the majority of them that you dont know are also "nice" .
        I know. It's also not logical for you to claim that most gamers are immoral jerks, just because the ones you observe are. And I didn't say gamers, I said FPS gamers. We aren't talking about puzzle games and the like.

Anyways, while a Real-time strategy would be cool, it wouldn't be as good a fit. Much of the stuff we see on the show is simply a bunch of people who wield guns and often fire them at enemies. If the show was about all of Hammond's command decisions, than maybe a strategy game would be called for. That said, a Rome: Total War-type game, involving a mix of larger, diplomacy-and-map-based strategy and directing units in real time tactically could work. The game will probably have lots of missions where stealth is preferable to an all-out fight. Stargate is an even better fit for a shooter than, say, a war, in that most engagements have a very small number of people on one side.

Comment

Originally posted by neith4
          I have to go now - the local library is open finally!
          I like Birds of Prey but cos Gail Simone has a sense of irony

I dont read it for the fight scenes

I like Elfquest and Stargate SG1 but I dont want to see them insulted by being used as a basis for any game that condones or encourages violence.

Anyone here here seen Liberty Meadows - that has violence which I tolerate cos its usually Ralph or Dean receiving the consequences fo their own earlier actions as slapstick revenge. Besides I just love Oscar!

I do tolerate some violence in its proper place and context.

I dont think shooter games are appropriate morally or stylisticly.
          Well, I also like Birds of Prey and Liberty Meadows. I don't like anything just for its fight scenes/violent content, which is why I really didn't enjoy Kill Bill. I don't think it's really possible to create an SG1 game that doesn't condone or encourage violence. A strategy game would involve directing people to kill things, which is pretty violent in my opinion. Is it not OK to kill people, but OK to order other people to kill people? The way I see it, if you're directing deadly wars, you may as well be killing people with your own hand. Thus, shooters are usually more moral than many RPGs and strategy games, because your motives are usually more moral.

Edit: So does your public library not have free internet?
          Last edited by LtNOWIS; 04 December 2004, 06:59 PM. Reason: Personal question

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G
              Anyway the last FPS I got really into was Rainbow Six, and that does have a pretty big strategy section before you go shooting which you do need to deal with(mission briefing, updates what what's been going on since last mission, selecting squad for mission, splitting squad into teams, selecting weaponary, gameplans for each team and which team you'll go with).
              I love Rogue Spear and was hoping the Stargate game would incorporate some kind of mission planning, team planning, team commands during game play, swapping characters during game play, etc. elements like the Rainbow Six series and Ghost Recon series as well rather than a straight forward FPS like say GoldenEye for N64 or the Medal of Honor series. But details are still sketchy so maybe that’s still a possibility.

Anyway, I guess I have to now say something about the “topic” so I can say I stayed on topic. As far as the “topic” here goes, there is nothing wrong with FPS. Most of my gaming consists of FPS, like Ghost Recon and the Medal of Honor series, and I’m not some maladjusted psycho who gets a kick out of killing. It’s harmless fun for those who can separate fiction from reality. Just like the TV show Stargate is fiction so is the game. Just because I watch Jack blast away some Jaffa doesn’t mean I’m going to go out and imitate him. Same goes for the game. Pretending to do something and actually doing it are two different things. And as far as aggressive/violent games making people more aggressive, well it’s called personal responsibility. If you can’t control yourself, then don’t play the game. Just because 90% of other gamers have self-control doesn’t mean violent games are automatically bad and should be banned because of a small minority who can't control themselves. That's why the U.S. government has demanded that the gaming industry here regulate itself by including the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) rating system on game packaging so buyers are informed about violent content, etc. If you’re screwed up enough to imitate something you do in a game, then you were obviously screwed up in the head long before you ever played the game anyway. Just my opinion, and I'm not going to argue it any farther beyond this post.

BTW, I am a female, and I also love strategy games as well like Civ III. Not so big on RTS, though my brother loves the Command and Conquer series and the old Dune series. I sometimes want to smash his Emperor: Battle for Dune CDs cause he’d spend about every waking hour playing that game online if he could. (Maybe that's just too violent. ) Thankfully, he lives somewhere else, and I don’t have to battle him for computer time unless I visit.
              IMO always implied.

Comment

A Lil' dragonoid leaps onto my lap and takes over the keyboard !

Hello boys and grls - Goldie here - ready for a tail slapping good time
                No I wouldn't fancy some big-tailed golden dragon roasting me alive in RL. If she roasted me in VR, then I'd just curse quietly and go back to the start of the level and try and find a way not to get killed by that particular dragon or kill said dragon if that's what the game required(please bear in mind that in most FPS - the guys you are trying to shoot can shoot you as well - furthermore you usually lose points if you shoot unarmed civilians).
                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by roswellgray
                  There's really nothing left to be said, neith. Well, except that I played a game today about some chinese battle centuries ago. It was FPS and I killed lots of ethical zen catholic buddists in it.....well okay, they might not have been catholics..........but I was thinking of you while I enjoyed the game.
                  Roswell you know (maybe NOT?) that I'm being ironic when I use the term Zen Catholic to describe my somewhat eucemenical and eclectic personal ethics system???

Chinese zen buddhists follow ch'an - zen is the japanese word!

recyt - i think this thread has reached its time to die - its come to the stage when all we're doing is repeating ourselves!!!

Comment

only for netsurfing with google not for email !

and they banned forums and chat

Comment

make your brother read all the DUNE novels

including Herbert and Anderson's unevenly written prequels

make him spend more time reading REAL SF&F

a good sf&F novel is more exciting than a game

Comment

oh goldie doesnt breath fire - she drools and spits purple stuff with hypnotic mind altering effects - you havnt visited sassygate have you? - laughs wildly rembering a certain story - you really should visit sassy gate !

Comment

Neith4, you said that a good sf&f novel is better than a game. Althought I tend to agree (Dune is awesome btw, did you ever read the new ones?) with you there are some exceptions.Ever heard of Xenogears or the Xenosaga serie? Trust me those games definatly break the mold of "save the world and kill everybody" (well you have to save the world, but dont you feel a warm and fuzzy feeling when you do so ) and their scenarios can be put alongside Barjavel(La nuit des temps, or The ice people in english is my fav novel) and Herbert novels.

And as for "most fps gamers are all wannabe murderers", I think its important to not generalised(sp? sorry, english is not my main language). It would be like saying most americans ar nuts because Bush was reelected( I DO NOT want to start a political debate, its just an example ).
                          Im sorry for you if have to cope with jerks everyday. Been there myself, there is always one or two morons who think that they are Rambo or something. For that, there is only one remedy: patience, patience and patience. They'll mature one day(ore they'll end up in jail ).
                          Last edited by metatron; 07 December 2004, 09:42 AM.

Comment

No fear, we won`t deliver a dumb shooter, the game is also focussing on your brain, not only on running and shooting everything you`ll encounter.

By the way: 2 new screenshots will be presented in the next days at www.stargate-thealliance.com - stay tuned!

Comment

I'll be the shooter and you can be the prey

bang bang bang !!! what its no fun if you got shoot ?

you're whining? but its just a game

how could that effect your self esteem?

what i'm being too stroopy scribe?

but unlike you poor humans I am a truly superior being
                              I like getting shot at in a game as long as I can run! Makes my adrenaline surge! Especily if the shooter is a female and taunts me. Like Telsia in elite force holodeck!(STOP looking at me NOW!) But I diegress. I geuss i'm just a wierd teen who likes getting killed in creative ways in video games! So about it affecting self esteem computer programs don't have it! (I can't play online games because I have a 48k modem!)

Comment

Fine there are some gamers who are actually sensible well rounded adults -
                                but they seem still to me - to be a small minority !!!
                                Why does someone have to be an adult to be sensible and well rounded? I have delved into this subject before please don't make me do it again! I'm a teen male I play FPS and RTS I detest TPS for some reason and i've never hit, shot or punched ANYONE (ok so when this kid lunged at me and locked around my chest trying to steal my backpack to taunt me I hit his back a few times and i've WANTED to do it once when in gym before the teacher or some of the kids came in a kid grabed my head and put it between his legs to make it look like I was.... well you know then ran off into the locker room before I could see his face! Cowerd!) but those three times in third grade I was beat up I curled into a ball rather then fight! So just don't generalise so broadly! (Yes I do worry daily that the pent up anger will explode but thats why I take it out on vidio games!)

Comment

Working...
                                X