Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where did you read this discription? and i think its good its a fps i woud be more happy if it were a mmorpg but what can ya do

Comment

FPS is the perfect genre for SG-1 because as a military driven show combat is a key part of it.

And as we have seen with Halo, Rainbow Six, and other military style FPS's, people enjoy it.

Just a random thought I thought I'd say.
      sigpic
      In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

I am not surprised but very disappointed by the number of people whose reply seems to me to indicate they have an attitude or belief that violence is just part of life so there's nothing we should or could do about it or that they believe any game that does not involve violence would be boring!

Seems to me there's a few gamers who need to be dropped into the middle of a war zone and taste the real thing maybe then they'ld understand why lotsa folk regard the buddha or gandhi as "heroes"

Real heroes try to save lives and avoid killing even in games!

The point is about ethics - why even pretend to be a killer - even if it is just a game?

The only reason I can see to pretend to be a killer is if maybe you're an actor making a statement about the nature of evil?

Anyone remember the episode in which Teal'c is trapped in the VR game - how does he need the game - no not just cos they shoot Siler ?!?
        He escapes from the game's feedback loop cos he changes his attitude to violence and trusts his friends - he takes action to save lives not for the pleasure of victory! Ethics!

If you want to be a "warrior" unless you have serious physical limitations go do the real thing or study martial arts or strategy or join the army or something but frankly I suggest you go study REAL history or walk the dog or something anything but one of those appalling games in which people think cos its a game its okay to pretend to be a pyschopath !!!

Or at least play games that encourage a knowledge of strategy and history !

Or gasp practise compassion and wisdom towards both friends and enemies!

Sometimes the really courageous thing to do is to NOT take action or to take action but not for your own limited pleasure - sometimes the heroic action is to get on with working through all the boring parts of life and figuring out a way to live without violence!

Violence even in games justified cos it brings pleasure is NOT ethical!

The long term results are negative! Spiritually and emotionally!

and physically - look at all those vets and retired athletes with health problems?

Or do something really dangerous like be a teacher in an inner city school?
        Keep the science in SciFi!

Comment

IT.IS.A.GAME.... thats it....

Comment

Why cant someone design a game that encourages ethical compassionate behaviour?
            That line is almost on par with:

Won't someone think of the children!!!!!!

It's so unbelievably silly that it could be even a sig worthy quote.

Just because you kill things in this game doesn't mean you are a so "sociopath or psycho". I'm guessing you're one of those people who believes that violent video games lead to school shootings right? What rock have you been under?

Well, news flash for you:

There have been a number of studies into this and they've shown no connection between violent behaviour and violent games. In fact, in some studies, the people playing the sports games had more agressive tendencies than those playing shooting and killing games.

What's the last game I played... yesterday... Ah! Yes. Knights of the Old Republic.

In that game I helped restore a diposed Wookie father to the head of his clan after his evil younger son took over. I didn't let a young kid be bullied into helping a greedy Hutt. I'm fighting to free the galaxy, and yes, I killed numerous Dark Jedi in a blody and violent fashion.

What else... oh yes! Half-Life 2. That game has you running around shooting all sorts of things. But why was I shooting and killing and blowing stuff up... that's right! To help free an opressed people living in an Orwellian form of state opression thanks to alien masters. Gee neith, I dunno, but helping to rescue an enslaved population seems pretty ethical to me.

Pull your head out. Your ramblings are not only old hat, so quite off base.

BYE
            Last edited by AlphaBlu; 26 November 2004, 05:23 PM.
            "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

Originally posted by Taonas
              I completely agree with you that people these days are too violent and that video games just reinforce this.
              This from the person who has a Devil May Cry sig.

Do you people take lessons in irony or something?

[EDIT]: Plus, Stargate is a violent show. It's about the airforce fer cryin' out loud. I mean, they have a lot of weapons

BYE
              Last edited by AlphaBlu; 26 November 2004, 05:32 PM.
              "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

Originally posted by neith4
                I am not surprised but very disappointed by the number of people whose reply seems to me to indicate they have an attitude or belief that violence is just part of life so there's nothing we should or could do about it...
                Yes, violence is a part of life, and people are doing something about it. Those people are called cops and they're putting violent people, such as murderers in jail. I still don't see any conclusive evidence that violent games have anything to do with real life violence. I saw an report on the news where a teenager pushed a woman out of the path of a car and attributed his fast reflexes to hours spent playing counter-strike. Does that actually mean that playing video games helped him to save a womans life? No, it doesn't, We don't know for a FACT that video games had anything to do with it, even if it was somethiing good.

...or that they believe any game that does not involve violence would be boring!
                That is their BELIEF, if they believe it, then it's true to them. I think watching golf is boring, for me it IS boring, does that make it a fact that in reality it is boring? No. Many people find golf exiting.

Seems to me there's a few gamers who need to be dropped into the middle of a war zone and taste the real thing maybe then they'ld understand why lotsa folk regard the buddha or gandhi as "heroes"

Gamers understand that there is a difference between reality and videogames. Just because you play war games does not mean in any way that you support war. Games are for ENTERTAINMENT. I can shoot a terrorist, steal a car, beat up people, and die in games. Just because I enjoy doing it in the games does not mean in anyway I would enjoy doing it in real life, or even think about doing some of those things in real life. I understand that real life has consequences, video games do not. This is something almost every gamer understands.

The point is about ethics - why even pretend to be a killer - even if it is just a game?

The only reason I can see to pretend to be a killer is if maybe you're an actor making a statement about the nature of evil?
                Gamers are not "pretending" to be anything. Pretending to be a killer would involve going to you local police station and saying you killed someone when in fact you didn't. When I play Pac Man I'm not "pretending" to be a circle who likes gobbling pills. That just happens to be the role in which the on-screen character assumes.

Anyone remember the episode in which Teal'c is trapped in the VR game - how does he need the game - no not just cos they shoot Siler ?!?
                He escapes from the game's feedback loop cos he changes his attitude to violence and trusts his friends - he takes action to save lives not for the pleasure of victory! Ethics!
                I think I'll have to rewatch the episode because I don't remember when he changes his attitude toward violence . Did Teal'c all of a sudden say he refuses to kill people anymore? I doubt it, because I definately remember him killing in future episodes.

If you want to be a "warrior" unless you have serious physical limitations go do the real thing or study martial arts or strategy or join the army or something but frankly I suggest you go study REAL history or walk the dog or something anything but one of those appalling games in which people think cos its a game its okay to pretend to be a pyschopath !!!
                I doubt anybody who plays violent games has a desire to be a "warrior". Gaming is just another form of entertainment. In my opinion playing violent games is fun. Studying martial arts, Strategy, Joining the army ,studying REAL history are not my ideas of fun.

Or at least play games that encourage a knowledge of strategy and history !
                Why would I do something in my spare time in which I won't enjoy?

Who said I can't be compassionate towards my friends in real life AND play violent video games? And BTW I don't have any "enemies" in real life, only in video games.

Sometimes the really courageous thing to do is to NOT take action or to take action but not for your own limited pleasure - sometimes the heroic action is to get on with working through all the boring parts of life and figuring out a way to live without violence!
                Explain how that could possibly be heroic? It might be the right thing to do but I can't possibly see how it can be heroic. One of the reasons we work is to enjoy the time we have off. What's the point of living a boring life when you can enjoy it?

We also kill animals for food when we can live off vegetables. Many people see that as unethical, other do not. I can see how killing somebody in real life is unethical, but how can playing a game be unethical? I don't kill people in games. Killing means permanently ending someone's life, that doesn't happen in games, I hit the reset button and everyone is alive again. There's a big difference between games and real life.

Can you please point me to the scientific study that proves this because I sure would like to read it.

and physically - look at all those vets and retired athletes with health problems?
                What about the Gamers? Where are the gamers with health problems? There is a distinction between violence in games and real-life violence.

Is there any proof that has anything to do with gaming? Why point out school? A lot of gamers are adults. Shouldn't there also be violence in the workplace? Maybe the problem in schools is not because of games but because it's full of hormone-imbalanced teenagers who are having social and relationship problems.

In conclusion, I have to point out once again that there is a clear distinction between violence in games and real life violence. There is violence everywhere. If you want to put an end to violence why single out videogames? Should we not also ban the violence on TV, Newspapers, Television News, movies, The internet, Sports, Books, song lyrics, as well as all violence on the streets and violence during war.

Man, i better get some reputation points for this. Preferrably positive ones
                Last edited by Chevron_nine; 26 November 2004, 06:51 PM.
                My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

you have my vote best.post.ever..well untilll i see one better

Comment

I am not surprised but very disappointed by the number of people whose reply seems to me to indicate they have an attitude or belief that violence is just part of life so there's nothing we should or could do about it or that they believe any game that does not involve violence would be boring!
                    Violence is part of life, nations were formed through was and violence and things are not going to change

I have not myself been in a war zone, but both my father and one of my grandfathers was, and my other grandfather was from india and met gandhi many times interviewing him for a paper he wrote for, and he would say true heroes are people who fight for what they believe in, is it wrong to kill on in order to save 100, heroes are people you can look up to, not for what they have done, but what they stand for.

Ethics are a set of principles of right conduct, but ethics of a game, movie or tv show are different then thoes of the real world. If reality was the same as tv, movies and games people would just sit around and watch their friends.

He escapes the time loop because he kills the Siler, that was the end game he said it himself. As for the warrior concept, you state that I should go study REAL history.....so why don't you tell me what real history is, could it be the hundreds of wars fought in the name of GOD, or for freedom, or because one country looked at you the wrong way. History is more violent the most games, yet you seem to think it is better because it is REAL. Games are an outlet for people, they are a way to meet other people and they are a way to have fun, and for some people a way to make some money. I would much rather pretend to be a pyschopath the actualy be one like yourself.

Maybe you can see into the future but i cannot so I don't know the long term results, but the one thing I can tell you, video games and the people who make them are not the problem, the problem is that parents do not watch what their childern do, if you have a 13 year old son/daughter they should not be playing a video game that is designed for a 18 year old, games are not the problem ignorance IS the problem.

Comment

tho I'm atheist - I wonder why Jesus doesn't qualify.

killing isn't always unethical - it's too bad we can't drop YOU into the middle of a modern day SS or Gestapo group or Cecesco (sp?) or Stalin interrogation group or Saddam prison interrogation group et cet.

the only compassion and wisdom that should be shown to enemies is execution. They'd do it to you. patience, determination and resourcefulnees to defeat and destroy your enemies is what should be applauded.

go PREACH somewhere else PREACHER - I won't be your next religious convert

is violence isn't ethical why did we not leave hitler, saddam, innumerable others in power?
                      and here I thought WWI eliminated many aristocracies and kings and WWII dramatically changed the world for the better

a laudable profession -especially there but that's somewhat off topic and MUCH more complex

Comment

hey, i haven't posted here before, but i'd just like to point out that most people who play video games know the difference between "killing someone" and "pretending to kill someone fake that is completely make believe and on tv." i play all kinds of violent games, but that doesn't mean that if someone says something to me that i dont like, i'm going to stick a grenade to their face. and i'm certainly not homophobic or sexist. the majority of people who are sexist or use insults like "f*g" don't get it from video games. also, oddly, stargate features a lot of violence, but somehow its different when its a video game based soley on the series?

The bottom line is that its not real, and "killing" someone fake is a lot better than being violent in the real world, and video games don't necesarily promote violence.

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaBlu
                          This from the person who has a Devil May Cry sig.

Do you people take lessons in irony or something?

Actually it's Sepphiroth from Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.

The rest of the post say's that I enjoy playing them, in fact I just finished a major deathmatch on X-Box live of Halo 2.

I didn't say that violent video games cause violence, I just said they reinforce it. Just like the news, tv, movies and practically anything that is human because violence is inherit in us.
                          sigpic
                          In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

Personally, if I were to play a FPS I want it to be as realistic as possible. If that means that a leg flies away, some floors get painted red, some blubbery and screamy noises are included, than that is what I want to enhance the ability to have vicarious roletaking. That's the magic, I don't need to see gore **** because I'd enjoy to see suffering, but I do need it if I want to play the game and have it feel as real.

Besides that, I think that the topic starter is absolutely correct that Stargate games should be another First Person Shooter but rather a Real-time Strategy Game, preferably one that is very flexible in it's approach. I mean that no 2 games should be alike, but each game you play will be different as you visit other planets first, say different things to different races, do different stuff. It would in other words maybe not be a necessity to kill Hathor for instance, because there'd be a chance she's killed by another goa'uld or not met at all as you do different things than the SGC has done in the show.

Comment

"hello the whole homophobia anti women thing"

Videogames are niether of those. In no games are you given a "mission" to kill gay people and none are you asked to kill woman, simply because their women. Videogames are marketed towards 14-30 something straight men because thats the target audience, and the ones who buy the most videogames, that doesn't make it homophobic or sexist.

And an SG-1 game cannot have no violence. You do watch it right? Even if you had a "building peacful" societies SG-1 game you would still need violence in the form of the Goa'uld. Don't like violence, play pong.

Comment

Why do people always blame video games for society's ills? Ban all videogames and people will still be violent, just far too convienient to blame videogames, especially when religion or morals come into play.

So what caused the great wars throughout the history of the world?

Comment

Working...
                                X