This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gatelover12
    Why must people blame teenage males for EVERYTHING what about those english girls who where arrested in england for bullying? Plus crimes among teenage girls are skyrocketing. So I think that even though teenage males are more likley to bullie and commit crime than girls of the same age, don't ALWAYS blame us. It's sexist! You always think of girls as nicer. But how is that not sexist huh? Perpetuating a female stareotype even if its positive is SEXIST. But no activists are assembeled to fight this grave injustice because no one beleaves a MALE least of all a WHITE MALE can be oppressed. Well we can and we are.
    I agree with you... Stereotypes are pointless and are often a direct cause of oppression in themselves. That was exactly what I was trying to illustrate.

Comment

Originally posted by neith4
      REAL History is not just reading about wars - its about learning about the past in all its fascinating aspects - art music philosophy - REAL history enhances your appreciation of life by deepening your awareness!

Learn to find the beauty in a variety of things and you'll learn that non violent activities are not necessarily "boring" !?
      Once again i find myself quoting the dictionary, History is
      A chronological record of events, as of the life or development of a people or institution, often including an explanation of or commentary on those events: a history of humans.
      so yes "real history" is about learning the past, but if i recall correctly war is a very large part of our history.

Comment

Originally posted by gatelover12
        So I think that even though teenage males are more likley to bullie and commit crime than girls of the same age, don't ALWAYS blame us.
        I don't think teenage males are more likely to bully and commit crime. I think in many cases, the opposite may be true. I believe for instance that among teenagers, more girls shoplift than boys.
        Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Groan I read the description for the new SG1 game and I'm not impressed !

Reads like its going to be yet another violent trashy shootup / stalker game in which the aim of the "strategy" is to pretend to be a sociopath or psycho and kill people!

Can we not have more games that involve REAL strategy - maybe games in which you LOSE points for reaching your goal by killing people?

I'ld much prefer see a civilization / sim earth type game in which building and making and peacekeeping is rewarded with points!

Or a game in which the sg team are saving lives or there's a jaffa or gouald team vs the sgc / tauri or tokra or asgard and there's a surprise twist and they discover they have to co-operate to reach their goal!

Why cant someone design a game that encourages ethical compassionate behaviour ?

Does the world really need yet another game aimed at the type of gamer who matches this description - I am a frustated usually male teenager who needs to vent by pretending to kill people and annoys every adult trying to do email or netsurf in the netcafe by screaming like a hysterical baby chimp homophobic or sexist remarks like
          - kill the B**** or Kill the F**** etc !!!

I'll like to see a game that makes heroes of firefighters or rescue crews or unarmed aid workers or doctors without borders staff !

We dont need more violent games in which people are rewarded with points for killing people !!!

I hope there's going to be a non violent diplomacy option for this game!

I say kill em all.
          It feels good to be alive.
          Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
            I don't think teenage males are more likely to bully and commit crime. I think in many cases, the opposite may be true. I believe for instance that among teenagers, more girls shoplift than boys.
            I was quoting some news program. Sorry I meant to say voilent crime. But you make a good point. I was mad when I posted it but I don't regret it. (even if I forgot to say violent crime. ) Most people act like we don't have feelings! I somtimes feel like i'm expected to do somthing violent and end up caged like some animal.

p.s. Thanks for the support!

Comment

Well after all this aruging I can safely say I am still eagerly anticipating this.

One thing I REALLY want is a mutiplayer mode where you can Gate to other planets, and dial it yourself. I wanna be able to pick the planet I wanna go to and I also wanna have to remember the address.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostPoet
                I say kill em all.

a wonderful sentiment to live by every day

I know a few people I'd love to zap with Anubis's superweapon.

Comment

Playing video games make you violent, masturbating makes your hands look weird, heavy metal makes you a devil worshipper... Need I go on? We're all satanic masturbating killers.

Anyone that commits a crime because of a CD, Movie, game has a mental defect that eventually would show up in one form or another (murder, drug abuse, rape...). Blaming it on CDs/Movies/Games doesn't work. We've had serial killers for hundred of years, long before there were movies or video games. But then it was if you weren't a good christian and read the bible 200 times each day.

Comment

I have played video games since I was 4 and have only gone onm 5-6 shooting sprees because of it...

I read parts of the Bible, I wanted to kill people after that. I mean I picked up my cousin after working on a Sunday, and that's a sin, he must be stoned.
                    It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

i am new here and to the stargate series. i just recently bought all 7 box sets and i am really enjoying it. on the other hand i am a big gamer, and 3 weeks ago when i started buying these boxed sets i was thinking a game had to be in the making. i agree with alot of the points made here concerning the game.
                      but running around and just shooting up everything in sight is no game. they should with out a doubt make it a stategy based game. freeing slaves from Goa'ulds, covert missions like sabotage a few mother ships, working with allies, finding new allies, and of course have some visits from and missions with our buddy Thor, retrieving naquda, helping Dr. Jackson study ruins etc..
                      but i would look to halo or half-life to compare this game. those games are fun but as far as stategic gameplay, give me a break. the stargate game should not follow the path of halo. it should stay in stride with what the series offers. saving lives, not taking them. unless, in the end it comes to that, all out war....ALL SG TEAMS YOU HAVE A GO, DEFEND THIS FACILITY AT ALL COSTS.

Comment

When I think of a Stargate game I always think of Voyager: Elite Force.

I don't like Star Trek, and I especially don't like Voyager, but Elite Force was a very cool game. All the characters from the show (and the actors who played them) were in the game doing voices, you had detailed missions and lots of character interaction with your team. The last mission devolved into a run'n'gun shoot 'em up, which was dissapointing, but for the rest of the game things were quite a lot of fun.

The game wasn't perfectly, and it was very short, but I loved the idea of coming back to a base after each mission. You'd always come back to Voyager for some R&R before being ordered to report to a briefing to find out what you were going to do next. Later on the the game your character was put in charge of the team, and off you went.

I see a Stargate Game like that. Going off on missions and then, when done, either coming back to the SGC via the Gate or a ship, and then being at the base until the next mission. Like in Elite Force, I can see a few missions happening in the SGC (it gets invaded, foothold situation, or whatever), and lots of missions outside of the base (maybe even some on Earth).

They probably won't do that, but, as I said, whenever I think about the "perfect" SG-1 game, I think of an Elite Force style game.

DISCLAIMER: And by "perfect" and I mean "perfect FPS". Given the choice I wouldn't do a Stargate FPS. To be a perfect Stargate game, it'd have to be like X-Com where you control the base, all the teams, and send people on missions etc. and control them from "on high". In actual fact, Atlantis would work pretty well for that as well, as you'd have the puddle jumper.

BYE
                        "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

If you want to be a "warrior" unless you have serious physical limitations go do the real thing or study martial arts or strategy or join the army or something but frankly I suggest you go study REAL history or walk the dog or something anything but one of those appalling games in which people think cos its a game its okay to pretend to be a pyschopath !!!

Or at least play games that encourage a knowledge of strategy and history !

Or gasp practise compassion and wisdom towards both friends and enemies!

Sometimes the really courageous thing to do is to NOT take action or to take action but not for your own limited pleasure - sometimes the heroic action is to get on with working through all the boring parts of life and figuring out a way to live without violence!

Violence even in games justified cos it brings pleasure is NOT ethical!

The long term results are negative! Spiritually and emotionally!

and physically - look at all those vets and retired athletes with health problems?

Or do something really dangerous like be a teacher in an inner city school?
                          I'm going to jump on the bandwagon in criticizing your harshness towards the genre. While I can understand how some people are freaked out by FPSs in general, I really don't think you're being quite fair. The games aren't about "pretending to be a psycopath." Is a WWII foot soldier a psycopath? Is a freedom fighter a psycopath? In most FPS games, your ultimate plot goals aren't any more immoral than in many other games. Many strategy games involve starting pointless, incredibly bloody wars, where your troops are regarded as disposable pawns. If any game was immoral, it would be the Grand Theft Auto series, which is a different genre entirely.

Comment

I am not surprised but very disappointed by the number of people whose reply seems to me to indicate they have an attitude or belief that violence is just part of life so there's nothing we should or could do about it or that they believe any game that does not involve violence would be boring!

Seems to me there's a few gamers who need to be dropped into the middle of a war zone and taste the real thing maybe then they'ld understand why lotsa folk regard the buddha or gandhi as "heroes"

Real heroes try to save lives and avoid killing even in games!

The point is about ethics - why even pretend to be a killer - even if it is just a game?

The only reason I can see to pretend to be a killer is if maybe you're an actor making a statement about the nature of evil?

Anyone remember the episode in which Teal'c is trapped in the VR game - how does he need the game - no not just cos they shoot Siler ?!?
                            He escapes from the game's feedback loop cos he changes his attitude to violence and trusts his friends - he takes action to save lives not for the pleasure of victory! Ethics!

If you want to be a "warrior" unless you have serious physical limitations go do the real thing or study martial arts or strategy or join the army or something but frankly I suggest you go study REAL history or walk the dog or something anything but one of those appalling games in which people think cos its a game its okay to pretend to be a pyschopath !!!

Or at least play games that encourage a knowledge of strategy and history !

Or gasp practise compassion and wisdom towards both friends and enemies!

Sometimes the really courageous thing to do is to NOT take action or to take action but not for your own limited pleasure - sometimes the heroic action is to get on with working through all the boring parts of life and figuring out a way to live without violence!

Violence even in games justified cos it brings pleasure is NOT ethical!

The long term results are negative! Spiritually and emotionally!

and physically - look at all those vets and retired athletes with health problems?

Or do something really dangerous like be a teacher in an inner city school?
                            Stargate SG1 is a military team and they have killed a lot of people. Forget the game, why are you even watching the show? Are all the ex and current military people on this forum alone psychopaths? It sounds like you'd be better off watching the Discovery Channel 24 hours a day and cutting yourself off from the real world entirely!.
                            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G
                              Stargate SG1 is a military team and they have killed a lot of people. Forget the game, why are you even watching the show? Are all the ex and current military people on this forum alone psychopaths? It sounds like you'd be better off watching the Discovery Channel 24 hours a day and cutting yourself off from the real world entirely!.
                              Don't rag on the discovery channel! Just don't. You'll make me angry you won't like me when i'm angry.

Comment

I wasn't ragging on the Discovery channel per se - it just looks like Neith seems to be at home in the scientific/archeological world.
                                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Working...
                                X