Clear All

Originally posted by prion
    August 23rd news
    Click on links for full text; these are just excerpts:

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...d0681d9&k=3150

Producers planned for SG-1's end
    Writers had been drafting series finales since Season 8
    August 23, 2006

"The studio is on the record saying that this franchise is extremely important to them," Cooper said of MGM's commitment.
    "MGM has a tremendous amount of confidence in Stargate, and we are vigorously working to continue the franchise," studio spokesman Jeff Pryor said in a statement yesterday.
    Now, "vigorously working to continue" apparently means boldly going forth into other formats.
    "We're working very hard to make sure there's a companion to Atlantis when we start back up in February," said Cooper, who extolled the virtues of being able to share production facilities, crews and costs. "It's premature to make an announcement as to what that companion might be. But you know, we thought Stargate was dead in the past."
    Cooper says a good guess would be an SG-1 miniseries, made-for-TV movie or even a feature. Good news for the 200-or-so crew that work on the show.
    Sounds like no season 11 on another network but SG-1 will live on as mini series or movie. Also sounds like they are planning a new show as well, could this be the 2nd spin off that has been in the works for a while?

Comment

Was watching Space Channel here in Canada today and they had a snippet about the cancelation. They said they will have cast reactions this weekend on HypaSpace. Any chance someone can cap this and post on YouTube?

Comment

Originally posted by Arative
        Sounds like no season 11 on another network but SG-1 will live on as mini series or movie. Also sounds like they are planning a new show as well, could this be the 2nd spin off that has been in the works for a while?
        If it is a spinoff, I probably won't watch it unless its the same characters with the same cast, and that is highly unlikely.. but anything is possible at this point. Atlantis worked for me because we spent half a season with our main characters finding this lost city and it all made sense, and I really liked the Atlantis cast. I don't think I could watch something that literally replaces SG-1 unless it is SG-1 in one form or another.

Comment

Thank you Prior!

http://community.tvguide.com/forum.jspa?forumID=700000044

As part of an in-depth interview with TV Guide magazine, Stargate SG-1 exec producer Brad Wright reveals that while Sci Fi Channel may have announced the series' end after its 10th season wraps up, the show might go on. Promising "a very satisfying end to the season," Wright tells us that the finale is "not necessarily an end to SG-1 by any means." While Wright's ideal is to take SG-1 back to the big screen, a string of TV-movies — and/or a new spin-off series — might be a more likely outcome. "From MGM's perspective, we don't view SG-1 as a television series, we view it as a franchise, and one with a lot of vibrant life," says studio spokesman Jeff Pryor. "There's absolutely no reason in the world there couldn't be and won't be another series that takes part in the Stargate universe." Noting that even Sci Fi was pleasantly impressed by SG-1's longevity — the expectation at one time was to usher it off the air soon after Stargate Atlantis' debut — original programming exec Mark Stern says, "We love this franchise, and if there are other ways to explore this world, we're certainly open to it. This is not the end of our journey with Stargate by any means."

---

- Satisfying end to the 10th and final season
          - SG-1 might produce TV movies, etc...
          - New spinoff is likely

---

So there we have it! The end of the drama!

Now let's all wait and see what the Stargate universe has in store for us next!

Tell that to the rabid fans who have been busy signing online petitions.
          "Fans of the show have been amazing," says Cooper. "I just hope now they will realize that this will be a positive for them."
          Hmmm, that may take a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by stephsupermom
            I was thinking about this at work. And for those who are giong to boycot SciFi if you get the SciFi newsletter email you could unsubscribe to is and in the subject part put "Unsub me for canceling SG1" or something to that effect.

I doubt that they are going to read all the angry email sent to them, but unsubscribing like that may help them get the message.

I havent read every post (its going to fast and I cant keep up) so this may have already been posted.

Just a thought

I do have a question though. Who owns SGA? Is it MGM?
            Oh and I hope that SciFi falls on its bum -- hard. I know I only watched it for SG and SGA

I really like this idea. However, one could take it a step further by unsub to scifi mag. I know if I had it I would end my sub.

This thread while confusing gives me comfort that so many fans are discussing and are positively speaking out about this issue.

Comment

Hey guys, now that we're still all riled up and organized, hows about we all send thank you letters to Cooper, MGM, and the gang?

Comment

Originally posted by wasp2020
                You're welcome (if you mean Prion. Is there a Prior here too?)

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                  You're welcome (if you mean Prion. Is there a Prior here too?)
                  Oh, sorry about that...but we're not out of the woods yet!

"From MGM's perspective, we don't view SG-1 as a television series, we view it as a franchise, and one with a lot of vibrant life," says studio spokesman Jeff Pryor.

(I apologize for this, this is what you get when you add bordeom, Mspaint, and a glitchy mouse)

Comment

Hey guys, now that we're still all riled up and organized, hows about we all send thank you letters to Cooper, MGM, and the gang?
                    Letters are in the mailbox... tissues will be going tomorrow

MGM

Sci Fi/NBC

lol.... I'm taking pictures on a 3 year old webcam so sorry about the quality. If anyone should want a copy of the MGM letter or help on proofreading or templates PM me.

EDIT: Changed faulty first link ...totally braindead today
                    Last edited by little_ryoko; 23 August 2006, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Sci Fi made a BIG mistake.

Comment

"From MGM's perspective, we don't view SG-1 as a television series, we view it as a franchise, and one with a lot of vibrant life," says studio spokesman Jeff Pryor.
                        I agree with this, and I think that's why so many people here were shocked by Scifi's actions. One minute we were going abut our lives and then boom, our favorite series is cancelled. Season 9 and 10 went above and beyond my expectations.

I'm saddened that we won't see SG-1 on another network, but I'm glad that so many (the producers, and MGM) are standing behind the Stargate series and willing to try TV movies, miniseries or a new series. I personally like that last one.

Comment

I still like my idea for ending SG-1.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...488#post432488

Comment

As part of an in-depth interview with TV Guide magazine, Stargate SG-1 exec producer Brad Wright reveals that while Sci Fi Channel may have announced the series' end after its 10th season wraps up, the show might go on. Promising "a very satisfying end to the season," Wright tells us that the finale is "not necessarily an end to SG-1 by any means." While Wright's ideal is to take SG-1 back to the big screen, a string of TV-movies — and/or a new spin-off series — might be a more likely outcome. "From MGM's perspective, we don't view SG-1 as a television series, we view it as a franchise, and one with a lot of vibrant life," says studio spokesman Jeff Pryor. "There's absolutely no reason in the world there couldn't be and won't be another series that takes part in the Stargate universe." Noting that even Sci Fi was pleasantly impressed by SG-1's longevity — the expectation at one time was to usher it off the air soon after Stargate Atlantis' debut — original programming exec Mark Stern says, "We love this franchise, and if there are other ways to explore this world, we're certainly open to it. This is not the end of our journey with Stargate by any means."

I hope they try and go for a season 11 first, and then use those other options as a fall back plan. Hopefully the fans reactions might sway their opinions, and those of the networks too...
                            Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by MB.Eddie
                              I hope they try and go for a season 11 first, and then use those other options as a fall back plan. Hopefully the fans reactions might sway their opinions, and those of the networks too...

This is something I agree with you full heartly on. However, after thinking about this question for a bit, and discussing possible options with other fans I think that a mini series is probably the best bet to end the show.

As I have said in many of my posts.....RESPECT is essential.

Comment

To say I am stunned is an understatement, I didn't know if I would enjoy it when Jack left but Ben Browder put new life into it.

I hope something can be done to save it.

Comment

Working...
                                X