Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why doesnt he just involve him self with the SG-1 movie that is supposedly getting made?

Theres no need for him to "ruin" soemthing great when he can join in and make the current stargate better.
    Matthew
    Shields at full. Ready main rail guns. Ready all missile batteries.

Comment

I think that's not the brightest idea too. It's like "oh, you know you have that stargate universe that you all like, well there's another one but it's kinda different". Doesn't sound so good, does it.
      They should indeed just work from what they have on the whole. And what is that part about him thinking the series would still fit after the trilogy? They're talking about changing Daniel's one year visit to Abydos, to a twelve year one. Yes, that would fit magnificently. Unless they pull out some heavy time travel tricks out of their hat in the third movie that undoes the previous one, I don't see them ever fitting in.

Comment

If MGM wanted to keep their current viewers, they would be better off not mixing the 2. New viewers might come to the movies and then go back to the current TV and it would not relate. IMO it would be a very stupid idea to mix the two. If anything, they should do as Star Trek did and make movies that correspond with the TV series. While the Trek movies were all time setters, they did fairly well dealing with their fan base.

Comment

Besides, Daniel would have to be twelve years older... I don't see it tying in with SG-1 as it is. And on a side-note, I prefer RDA as Col. O'Neill, with two l's, because the other one... well, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Lily_Ayanami
            And for people who have seen the movie, but hasn't seen the series, would they remember anything about the original movie? 12 years is more than enough time for everyone to move on from the original movie. It seems difficult to generate interest in viewing the next chapter of a story when it's been years since reading the last one.
            The movie Stargate is available on DVD and has been shown on television innumerable times. In fact the last time I saw it was just this past June on the SciFi Channel. It still has quite a large following of fans in and of itself. I am a fan of both the movie and the television show. Liking one does not preclude liking the other. I'd probably go to see a movie based on either concept, which I assume is what MGM is counting on.

Comment

True, Seshat

If Devlin does come through with Stargate 2, he better do a very good job of it. He has to work against an entire established universe built by Wright and Cooper and if he comes up short... I can't help but think that if there is a movie and I watch it, I will be comparing it to SG-1.

If I keep telling myself that it's an alternate reality, will it make me less critical going in?

[edit]
              I think one of the good things going for the sequels is that there's less backstory to deal with. The difficulty in making a movie based on a TV series, especially of one with SG-1's longevity, is the amount of backstory you have to account for in dealing with both longtime fans and newcomers.
              [/edit]
              Last edited by Lily_Ayanami; 21 July 2006, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I love this quote...

"[Russell and Spader have] always said they wanted to do it," Devlin said. "... The irony is actually because it was 12 years ago that we made 'Stargate,' [and] part two was actually supposed to take place about 12 years later. We were just going to kind of age them up as actors. So it actually works out really nicely."

Am I the only one that thinks he is pulling everyones legs so he can get the movies made?

I would like to see if Stargate would be better if they did three movies then a show or if a show would work at all. If he get's them made I would eb the first in line.

The problem is you can't do Stargate 2 and 3 and then Stargate Sg-1 Movies. Would you call the movies Stargate SG-1, and if they made a sequel would it be Stargate SG-1 2? Business wise terrible idea, fan wise I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallpaperman
                  Same for me, but this said, they can do another sequel without any problems. Just skip SG-1 when you watch the new movie and enjoy this other new story.
                  And I would add, do stargate 2 and 3, AND SG-1 movie after the show ends.
                  Me likey. Orthoquels are always interesting, if not always good.

Comment

Eh....I just don't have any interest in an alternate reality story.... :/
                    It feels good to be alive.
                    Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Did I read this right, Devlin said that the TV show can still exist after the third movie. Is that a hint that his proposed 2nd and 3rd movies will involve some kind of reset (alas SG-1's Mobius Part 1 and 2)?

Anyway, I personally don't mind a 2nd and 3rd movies of the original Stargate Movie although my love for Stargate really begins with the series rather than the movie (which I saw years before I saw a SG-1 episode).

The worst case scenario is that the 2nd and 3rd Stargate movies might bomb in the box office and destroy any chance of a movie based on SG-1 and/or Atlantis....since the general audience probably won't be able to distinguish the two.
                      I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

I did not even know that the Stargate movie was supposed to be a trilogy. And while having 2 and 3 contradicting the series, I think it would still be interesting to see.

@SupremeLegate
                        Apogee Institute
                        Council

Congito, ergo sum - congito

Comment

Personally I think this is a bad idea and would detract from the TV series.
                          Any movies should be set around SG1/Atlantis universe. I also agree it would be confusing.

I think too much time has past now and I didn't think the original movie was that great. Kurt Russell and James Spader did a good job at the time but now I just wouldn't want to see Jack and Daniel being played by anyone else other than RDA and MS in any reality.

Thanks to Kidwizz for sig

Comment

Dean Dean Dean. WTF.

Why would you ignore the sucess of sg-1 and make your own films.

I think this will ruin the series and stargate franchise if he makes them so they interfer with the stargate plot.

i will be seriously PO'ed if this ruins the franchise and so will others.

its not that i dont want to see stargate movies its just i dont want dean devlin and hes stupid stargate dreams to get in the way of the best television show ever.

dean devlin
                            Silly dean dont mess with sg-1
                            sigpic

Comment

no no no no no no no !

I would hate a movie to spawn from the original - and not from the current Stargate Franchise! I would mess with the storylines...

Devlin says that he wasnt to finnish of his story; but it that what the last 10 years have done? Who says that Devlins stories even matter anymore? The characters have evolved over the years and are no longer what Devlin made them to be.

I for one wouldnt go to see any film by the name of stargate that isnt related to the TV Shows - i would be watching it thinking; "This isnt SG1... This isnt Atlantis..." I wouldnt want to see it and i dont think that Devlins story matters anymore; i think the Stargate Franchise has evolved and moved on past his story.

I would hate to see these two films that nobody really wants to see - take the spot of a film related to SG1 or Atlantis and would hate it even more to hinder the chances of a third spin off thats in the works...

Devlin needs to understand that things change, and nobody wants to see his "average" film - instead we would much prefer a film based on the "great and very successfull" Stargate SG1 and Atlantis shows.

if need be - put Devlin along side the current SG writing team, make him use their ideas and plans. THEN i would watch it, THEN i would support devlins films and THEN my mind would be at ease as to whether it would hinder the chances of a 3rd spin off and further films.

Just my thoughts on this - i think we should all collate these posts and forward them all to MGM so they know perfectly actual Stargate Fans ideas, thoughts and feelings about devlin who has openly mocked SG1...

Comment

Devlin has spent years bad mouthing the series and now he's taking advantage of all the hype surrounding season 10 of SG-1 to make his films.

A sequel of Stargate was turned down originally because MGM didn't think there was enough interest and now the series that built a following for the franchise is getting f^%ked over
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X