This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xfkirsten
    I'd love to see what he envisioned play out on the big screen, but I have to agree that it's stupid from more of a business standpoint. While fans will know the difference, you run the risk of totally confusing the general public and potential fans.
    All I know is that the books that came out afterwards following up on the original Stargate novel were TONS better than the SG1 novels that came out (pre-Fandemonium).

Haven't the faintest idea how a Devlin conception of Stargate would turn out... but the books were superior.

MGM will do whatever makes them money

Comment

What do you think of Dean Devlin talking with MGM about finishing the Stargate trilogy with his original vision.

Comment

Originally posted by kt22
        What do you think of Dean Devlin talking with MGM about finishing the Stargate trilogy with his original vision.
        Far too late. It destroys the canon of the show.
        http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

I'd like to see it happen, but they'd have to remain canon with the show in all aspects to the very detail. Oh, and Jack would have to be in it.

Best Stargate quote:
          Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
          Green is your friend.

Comment

Ten years ago, maybe. Now, not so much.
            sigpic

Comment

I admit that I am not as against it as I once was. But I am still not sure he could successfully pull it off. Stargate has traversed many light-years since his original version and I am not sure having two completely different versions running at or near the same time would work to anyone’s benefit.
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Perhaps this is the movie that would dovetail into the third tv series the MGM exec (name?) was talking about. If it ignores the established continuity though, a lot of people are going to be pissed. If it's a part of it though, even if it's a radical new direction, then this could be a fantastic new beginning! Let's hope Devlin respects the franchise. Sure it's his "brainchild", but come on, Stargate didn't last on TV for ten years all for nothing.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

Originally posted by TheInnkeeper
                  Perhaps this is the movie that would dovetail into the third tv series the MGM exec (name?) was talking about. If it ignores the established continuity though, a lot of people are going to be pissed. If it's a part of it though, even if it's a radical new direction, then this could be a fantastic new beginning! Let's hope Devlin respects the franchise. Sure it's his "brainchild", but come on, Stargate didn't last on TV for ten years all for nothing.
                  I am pretty sure Devlins version of the stargate universe looks nothing like established cannon.
                  Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I would go see it but I wouldn't be too happy about it. I don't like it when they create two different universes based on the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                      All I know is that the books that came out afterwards following up on the original Stargate novel were TONS better than the SG1 novels that came out (pre-Fandemonium).

Haven't the faintest idea how a Devlin conception of Stargate would turn out... but the books were superior.

MGM will do whatever makes them money
                      I actually never got around to reading the movie-based novels... I keep thinking about picking them up, but never did. I agree, though, that the pre-Fandemonium SG-1 novels were awful - the authors couldn't even get simple character details right (one of them had Carter's first name as "Amanda" for the whole book, if I recall).
                      "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
                      My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Originally posted by xfkirsten
                        I actually never got around to reading the movie-based novels... I keep thinking about picking them up, but never did. I agree, though, that the pre-Fandemonium SG-1 novels were awful - the authors couldn't even get simple character details right (one of them had Carter's first name as "Amanda" for the whole book, if I recall).
                        The movie-based novels ARE worth reading. I was pleasantly surprised with them, then sorely disappointed when the show novelizations came out (pre-Fandemonium, that is). THey were just, well, bleh. It's no wonder they stopped publishing them (but too bad they wouldn't give up the publishing rights).

Comment

meh, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch. The Stargate movie was pretty average..

Comment

Originally posted by Serebii
                            Oh please...thats not what it says at all

It says he has a multi-film contract with MGM...but he wants to finish the Stargate trilogy...I dont believe he actually said they were in talks...thats just spin
                            Well, the Coming Soon does quote him as saying he's talked to the "new regime" at MGM about doing Stargate sequels. But it doesn't say that the new regime has said anything back to him.

I don't think it would be that disastrous of a move if they did it, at least not within the U.S. SG-1 is probably familiar to a few million American viewers. If they actually got Kurt Russell and James Spader back, those names would be as big of a draw as anything else. But I'll believe it when they actually start filming something.

Comment

I say why not...I have always wanted to see this happen, and it really surprised me when I read it. When i first saw Stargate, it left me with one of those I need to know what the heck is going to happen next feelings. And for some reason SSG1 never really satisfied that answer for me. I think because it was a television series that was a slightly tweaked version of the movie. I do love sg1 though.

So finishing the films, for me, will seem to finally answer my questions. Also, the idea that they will then possibly create a spin off series that is accurately based of the stargate trilogy seems interesting. I love this Idea.

If you must...think of it simply as an alternate universe stargate...
                              If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Thomer
                                Well, the Coming Soon does quote him as saying he's talked to the "new regime" at MGM about doing Stargate sequels. But it doesn't say that the new regime has said anything back to him.

I don't think it would be that disastrous of a move if they did it, at least not within the U.S. SG-1 is probably familiar to a few million American viewers. If they actually got Kurt Russell and James Spader back, those names would be as big of a draw as anything else. But I'll believe it when they actually start filming something.
                                I honestly think that movie audiences would recognize Kurt Russell quicker than RDA (don't shoot me!.... he's been doing movies for ages while RDA is a TV actor (which is NOT an insult, my fav actors stay on TV

Comment

Working...
                                X