This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wallpaperman
    You forget that without Dean Devlin, Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis would have never existed .... He IS the creator with Roland Emmerich, so keep respect for the creator of the franchise.

And the respect for the movie fans? And for its creator?
    I think to let the original creator of Stargate continue his own vision of the franchise is a good idea.
    And if they do another movie of SG-1, it would be at the end of the show, which is not for tomorrow ....

I would be very pleased to find back the original Daniel, Jack and the beautiful Sha'uri
    I fully acknowledge that he is the creator. I still love the movie on watch it almost yearly and have done so since it came out on VHS about 10-11 years ago. For the longest time I considered SG-1 the *******ization of a brilliant movie. Until I watched it. The movie, to me, is the pilot and Children of the Gods is the sequel.

Here's a link to an interview with Devlin done in 2002. Shows that the perception of his dislike for the series is known. It seems however his stance softened on the subject.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/365/365034p1.html

Comment

Originally posted by Wallpaperman
      I would be very pleased to find back the original Daniel, Jack and the beautiful Sha'uri
      So, maybe this film would have some audience... I think it would be a good idea to make a poll... to know what most people think.

As for the original characters, I didn't enjoy the original Jack at all... And I would miss Carter !

For the rest, I have to watch the film again...

Comment

It was mentioned in one of the articles with Dean Devlin that it has been 12 years since Stargate. I think that the mythos from the TV series has pretty much overridden anything the original movie set up (aside from what the TV series has taken into itself). To me, when I think of stargate, I think of Stargate SG-1. If there was a sequel to the the original movie, I would probably watch, but I would be disappointed because I would expect to see something from the TV series.

And for people who have seen the movie, but hasn't seen the series, would they remember anything about the original movie? 12 years is more than enough time for everyone to move on from the original movie. It seems difficult to generate interest in viewing the next chapter of a story when it's been years since reading the last one.

Comment

There were some more quotes, etc. from Devlin, but because the articles were 90% Comic Con, I put them in the COMIC CON thread at

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=30638

but they're easy to spot.

Comment

Hey I'd love to see his vision of what Stargate would have been, but I'm sure if this movie was made, it would hinder an SG-1 based movie, which has been on the backburner for years.

Originally posted by Dean Devlin
            ...And they (MGM) think there is an audience out there who would like to see what parts two and parts three were intended to be.
            Surely MGM realise that, while there may be a fanbase for that, there is a IMMENSELY larger fanbase for an SG-1 universe based movie.

Comment

Could be quite cool. Sort of do an Ultimate Stargate (Like Ultimate Marvel, for any of you that know about it). Where the wrinkles in SG-1 are paved over, the story line/s are deeper & darker, the characters are the same, but different & the Story makes more sense.

Comment

Devlin isn't trying to "get famous" by reconnecting himself with Stargate. He's a very successful Hollywood producer, and list of credits (despite the stink bombs that punctuate it) is impressive.

Add to that Spader's newfound fame on television, and honestly I think an "alternate universe" sequel film that ignores the TV series can only help the TV series. Devlin, Emmerich, Russell, and Spader can attract a large audience. Compared to the niche cable status of SG-1 in the U.S., maybe more than an SG-1 movie would do. And you'd have some big money behind the "Stargate" name again, and it would only drive people to the TV show (despite the confusion factor).

If I was MGM, I'd be trying to convince Devlin and Emmerich to produce and direct (respectively) the SG-1 movie based on Brad and Rob's script. The "confusion factor" seems to me to really be the only thing stopping them from doing the sequels.
                GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

I see no problems with this. I'm grateful that in D&E's vision caused the movie and not only one, but two series to come to life. I'm just wondering if Boston Legal will let James Spader take time off to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
                    I see no problems with this. I'm grateful that in D&E's vision caused the movie and not only one, but two series to come to life. I'm just wondering if Boston Legal will let James Spader take time off to do this.
                    Well, heck, for all you know, BOSTON LEGAL could be off the air by the time they get around to making a movie

Comment

Dean Devlin, co-writer and producer of the original Stargate movie, told SCI FI Wire that he has struck a production deal with MGM and is developing the long-delayed sequel feature films that will pick up the story from the 1994 original—but not the mythology subsequently elaborated on in the SCI FI Channel original series Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. Devlin added that he hopes to enlist original stars Kurt Russell (Jack O'Neill) and James Spader (Dr. Daniel Jackson), who have expressed an interest.

Both Russell and Spader have expressed interest, Devlin added. "They've always said they wanted to do it. ... The irony is actually because it was 12 years ago that we made Stargate, [and] part two was actually supposed to take place about 12 years later. We were just going to kind of age them up as actors. So it actually works out really nicely."
                      http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...d=37194&type=0
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Awsome, i cant wait for the Two Movies.

Man, i've always wondered when are they going to make the next Two Movies. This is going to be so cool.

I really dont mind that the TV Series go their way, but i always wanted to see the Next Two Movies that were originally planned.

Comment

No. Just... no.

Comment

The movie, to me, is the pilot and Children of the Gods is the sequel.
                            Same for me, but this said, they can do another sequel without any problems. Just skip SG-1 when you watch the new movie and enjoy this other new story.
                            If I was MGM, I'd be trying to convince Devlin and Emmerich to produce and direct (respectively) the SG-1 movie based on Brad and Rob's script.
                            And I would add, do stargate 2 and 3, AND SG-1 movie after the show ends.
                            Gilles
                            http://www.thescifiworld.net

Amanda Tapping interview
                            Ben Browder interview
                            Beau Bridges interview

Comment

i would love to see a sequel to the original movie independent from the series
                              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
                                i would love to see a sequel to the original movie independent from the series
                                I have to agree, SG1 is/was great and all, but at the end of the day it isnt how it was supposed to go, so, yeah I would like to see how it should have been, but only if James Spader and Kurt Russell are in it.
                                Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                                - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Working...
                                X