This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Konman72
    What's interesting though is that the sequels he is talking about won't be what the books were about. So obviously they weren't based on the notes, or they decided to change everything.

At least, that's what I thought. Was the first book about a new stargate being found and takes place 12 years after the movie?
    The books did come out a long time ago. My guess the team decided to ignore the book continuity and develop something new. I should correct myself too. After digging up the books from my closet and looking for any acknowledgements pages, apparently Devlin did offer to McCay suggestions in how to develop the story in novel form.

The first book takes place immediately after the events of the first movie and addresses the issue of what the gov't would do when they learn what is on the other side of the gate. Because of the advanced "toys" the team brought back the military / government takes an interest in using the mineral (Naquadah in SG-1 terms) and becomes one of many antagonists in the novels.

The first three books comprise one overall storyline and the last two is the continuing saga of the Abydans. One aspect of these books that I like is that Sha'uri has an important role throughout all the books and her marriage to Daniel is not perfect. There's some nice humanizing aspects to the characters.

Comment

Originally posted by jambi
      Pretty much...the only good thing about that movie would be James Spader. (good actor)
      Uh...He's not even fit to carry Micheal Shank's jock strap! Nothing against the guy, but Shanks has developed and done the character more justice!

"The least you can do is listen to me...it can't be against the highfaluten cosmic rules...HEY...I'M TALKING TO YOU!!!"

Indeed! C.B.

Comment

Stargate was a good movie...don't get me wrong... I have the ultimate edition on my TV stand as we speak...and Devlin is a good filmmaker. (eh...he has good ideas, but could be done better - see ID4...Godzilla)...

ANYWAY, the point is the TV writers, producers, and actors created something great, even better then the film. The Goa'uld parasites make more sense then the "Asgard" looking alien, the fact there are a system of gates instead of 2, that its in our own galaxy, that it uses so much from Earth Myths...and don't forget the pansy (won't fight their evil Ori brother) Alterans (Ancients)...gotta love them! They took his initial idea and turned it into a one of the few TV shows to spin-off (successfully) and made it the LONGEST RUNNING SCI-FI SERIES IN HISTORY beating the Star Trek spin-offs, Bablyon 5, the X-Files, and others.

I hope Devlin doesn't make another Stagate movie if he's not going to use what the fans won't

Do the right thing Dean!

"The least you can do is listen to me...it can't be against the highfaluten cosmic rules...HEY...I'M TALKING TO YOU!!!"

Indeed! C.B.

Comment

they could just have it that stargate movie trilogy takes place in one of the parallel universes or something. they could even refer to it in a future episode.

and the tv series only shares the stuff from the first movie than branches off.

for me personally i would love to see emmerich and devlin complete their original trilogy because i started with the movie first and had a few years of getting into that before i even knew about a tv series.

Comment

i think it's too late to do them and if he does they will suck. i don't think he can produce any more good films and i think most of you will flip out when they decide to make it more holywood-film so they can get the big bucks and it'll be just like a crapload of special effects, green screen, produced sci-fi adventure without a good script. but apparently big explosions and big productions always make for great sci-fi or movies in general, right?

i wonder if the kid whom they stole the story wrote the sequels as well...

Originally posted by Brockyman
            made it the LONGEST RUNNING SCI-FI SERIES IN HISTORY beating the Star Trek spin-offs, Bablyon 5, the X-Files, and others.
            but not Doctor Who. sg-1 is my favorite show but you have to be realistic and fair.

i wouldn't count on these movies to happen, i think MGM would go to with the current stargate mythos so there isn't anything to worry about. (i will eat my own shoe if does happen, or something similar to that, but don't quote me on that)

Comment

Originally posted by Brockyman
              Uh...He's not even fit to carry Micheal Shank's jock strap!

Thank you I needed a good laugh

3 Saturn Award Nominations (ZERO wins)
              3 Leo Nominations (ONE win)

VS

2 Saturn Award Nominations (ZERO wins)
              1 Cannes Film Nomination for Best Actor (ONE win)
              2 Emmy Outstanding Lead Actor Nominations (TWO wins)
              1 Golden Globe Nomination (ZERO win)
              1 Independent Spirit Award Nomination (ZERO win)
              2 Satellite Award Nominations (ZERO wins)
              1 Screen Actors Guild Awards Nomination (ZERO win)

Comment

Whether you support the idea or not (I certainly don't), the simple fact is that it won't happen. The fact that MGM is throwing their full support behind SG-1 completely undermines Devlin's goals.

Comment

Originally posted by jebus
                  Well, I'd be happy to see the rest of Dealvin's trilogy (as long as it doesnt prevent any SG1 movies also)
                  Just have 2 seperate stargate universes.
                  Exactly! I think it would be very cool to have a Stargate sequel to the original 1994 film, featuring Kurt Russell, James Spader, Richard Dean Anderson, and Michael Shanks, as well as the rest of the SG-1 tv cast members as a parallel universe storyline. In SG-1, the show has already established that parallel universes exist in the Stargate universe.

The corresponding character in the original Stargate feature film, played by Kurt Russell, was named Jack O'Neil. This was ignored, but there was once a joking reference ("Secrets") to another colonel who happened to be named Jack O'Neil who had "no sense of humor" (because O'Neil in the movie was brooding and serious, only to become witty and deadpan during the series).

Some fans consider the "Stargate" O'Neil and the "Stargate SG-1" O'Neill to be, in fact, two different people. In order for this to be consistent, they must assume that there were two colonels with the same name working on the Stargate project, with identically-named wives, each with a dead son who had been killed by an identical accidental firearms discharge. There are also references made within the SG-1 series to interactions between Jack and Daniel that were depicted in the movie, making this position somewhat untenable, hence, the parallel universe storyline solves all the inconsistences.

And while having cast members from both the film and tv show together would probably make a very expensive project, one must bear in mind that Stargate is one of MGM's cash cow. In fact, the Stargate franchise is the second biggest franchise with James Bond coming in first place. Believe me, they have a big enough budget to make this work, thus, pleasing both fan factions.

Whitestar
                  Have you ever remembered what life was like before you were born? That's how it will be like after you're dead.

Comment

On one hand, I think it would have been really interesting to see the other two movies they had planned.

On the other hand, (as someone already stated) they're about ten years too late.

Frankly, I think it would be selfish and a bit of a slap in the face to the cast/crew/creators of SG-1 (and Atlantis). Devlin and Emmerich sorta had their chance already, you know? They gave it a go, and they got one decent movie out of it. When they couldn't do anymore themselves, they gave it to someone else, and it became a huge 10+ year success on tv.

But now that the franchise has this massive fanbase (built largely by people who are not him) Devlin says "gimme back my franchise so I can cash in on all of your hard work". That's just not cool, man.

However, if Devlin wants to take the major themes and ideas he had and apply them to a new TV series, or even a TV mini-series (fitting within the established SG-1 universe), be my guest!

Comment

Originally posted by mindwarped
                      Thank you I needed a good laugh

3 Saturn Award Nominations (ZERO wins)
                      3 Leo Nominations (ONE win)

VS

2 Saturn Award Nominations (ZERO wins)
                      1 Cannes Film Nomination for Best Actor (ONE win)
                      2 Emmy Outstanding Lead Actor Nominations (TWO wins)
                      1 Golden Globe Nomination (ZERO win)
                      1 Independent Spirit Award Nomination (ZERO win)
                      2 Satellite Award Nominations (ZERO wins)
                      1 Screen Actors Guild Awards Nomination (ZERO win)
                      Yeah, because awards are the only measure of an actor's talent.
                      Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
                      Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
                      -Audioslave

Comment

Working...
                      X