Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. I'm terribly sorry to hear that. I'll be praying for his family for sure.

I was just wondering if there will be a Richard Woolsey, Dr. Keller or Major Lorne smileys coming anytime soon to Gateworld.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carpentersam/
    MY ARTWORK -- ALL SIGNATURES BY HERMIIOD

Comment

Originally posted by Hermiiod View Post
      Wow. I'm terribly sorry to hear that. I'll be praying for his family for sure.

I was just wondering if there will be a Richard Woolsey, Dr. Keller or Major Lorne smileys coming anytime soon to Gateworld.
      You can post the request over on the New Smilies thread in this folder

also I need you to take a look at you signature you are over our limits PM me if you need help or more information
      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Just a bit curious about the location of "homeless" thunk threads. I've seen a lot of them cropping up in the SF&F folder and at least one or two of them aren't for what I'd call genre actors. I'm sure most actors have appeared in some random scifi thing at some point in their careers but if their current "big project" isn't scifi or if they only ever appeared in some bit part in a fantasy film ten years ago and have now moved on to "real" drama does that still make it okay to have a thunk thread for them in SF&F? I guess I'm wondering what the criteria is for thunk thread placement. For the most part it's already far too late to do anything about them, but I'd like to know for future reference.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
          Just a bit curious about the location of "homeless" thunk threads. I've seen a lot of them cropping up in the SF&F folder and at least one or two of them aren't for what I'd call genre actors. I'm sure most actors have appeared in some random scifi thing at some point in their careers but if their current "big project" isn't scifi or if they only ever appeared in some bit part in a fantasy film ten years ago and have now moved on to "real" drama does that still make it okay to have a thunk thread for them in SF&F? I guess I'm wondering what the criteria is for thunk thread placement. For the most part it's already far too late to do anything about them, but I'd like to know for future reference.
          If we have been able to identify them early on we have tried to move them out of there. But if not, you are correct we have left them alone for the most part as they have grown to a size that we do not feel comfortable moving them and penalizing members because we didn't catch it early enough.
          Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Greetings oh Lords of Gateworld

I was just wondering how this pic would stand as an avatar around these parts (have seen it used on another forum, though said forum is a fair bit more liberal in these things than GW)

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/f...um/awesome.jpg
            A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
              Greetings oh Lords of Gateworld

I was just wondering how this pic would stand as an avatar around these parts (have seen it used on another forum, though said forum is a fair bit more liberal in these things than GW)

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/f...um/awesome.jpg
              well it looks like he is doing a *peace* sign or showing us that his mental IQ is 2 ...however I am not seeing an issue with Spike unless there is something I am missing Carp and you should point it out to me since I may be missing a cultural thing

Comment

It is the opposite of the peace sign both in meaning and in the visual sense... this effectively means "up yours" and originates from Medieval times. During that time all men were forced to train in Archery due to the near constant wars with the French, however thieves and what have you had one of those fingers cut off (I don't recall which one) and so could not use a bow. So it became a way of taunting those people who had fallen foul of the law... basically saying I can still use a bow!
                A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

It is the opposite of the peace sign both in meaning and in the visual sense... this effectively means "up yours" and originates from Medieval times. During that time all men were forced to train in Archery due to the near constant wars with the French, however thieves and what have you had one of those fingers cut off (I don't recall which one) and so could not use a bow. So it became a way of taunting those people who had fallen foul of the law... basically saying I can still use a bow!
                  well if you are using it with that intent in mind... I would have to say no

however it bears a striking resemblance to a peace sigh as well as the way a two year old shows their age...even in facial expression ....so if you mean it that way I can say yes

so what say you young Carp?

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
                    well if you are using it with that intent in mind... I would have to say no

however it bears a striking resemblance to a peace sigh as well as the way a two year old shows their age...even in facial expression ....so if you mean it that way I can say yes

so what say you young Carp?
                    that would be a no then... cos I love the whole history behind it

Comment

that would be a no then... cos I love the whole history behind it
                      Then you have your answer

Comment

Hello wonderful Mod type people.

I was wondering if it is possible for one of you guys to edit a rep message someone left me?
                        It was a negative message, which I'm not too bothered about what it says but it stretches the page which is a little annoying when I go to check in there.
                        It's the only Red left on 26/12/08.

Many thanks for your time.

Comment

Done.
                          The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I've been on this board for over a year and I still don't quite understand the moderating policies.

<snip> writes about how RDA is like a "washed up actor" trying to squeeze the last few morsels of cash out of his "trainwreck career"--but that's OK...

<snip> writes about sticking his finger in his "stinky" "buttocks"--also OK...

I write that Ben Browder & RDA should do "A Dog's Breakfast"-type parody with Parody Ben trying to kill Parody RDA to get the lead in a movie--MODERATED???

I understand that BagPuss claimed responsibility, and sort of fixed it back, and I really like her. She & Sky are the only mods I've had a bit of contact with and they're both super people. I'm just wondering why the moderating policy on here seems so inconsistent.
                            Last edited by TameFarrar; 07 February 2009, 11:22 AM. Reason: no names please
                            sigpic
                            "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                            ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
                              I've been on this board for over a year and I still don't quite understand the moderating policies.

{snip} writes about how RDA is like a "washed up actor" trying to squeeze the last few morsels of cash out of his "trainwreck career"--but that's OK...

{snip} writes about sticking his finger in his "stinky" "buttocks"--also OK...

I write that Ben Browder & RDA should do "A Dog's Breakfast"-type parody with Parody Ben trying to kill Parody RDA to get the lead in a movie--MODERATED???

I understand that BagPuss claimed responsibility, and sort of fixed it back, and I really like her. She & Sky are the only mods I've had a bit of contact with and they're both super people. I'm just wondering why the moderating policy on here seems so inconsistent.
                              Because Sometimes we being humans make a judgment call based on the rules NOW and we also place our decision back in the Mod folder for the other Moderators to review and discuss. Then the discussion determines that maybe the decision was a bit too stringent or strict...OR not stringent enough or strict enough... So we always try to right our error immediately and/or correct it.

This is why many times we prefer to pull the issue and hold the discussion, reach a decision and then place the item back out for public viewing. It saves all involved some grief or confusion.

We have never claimed to be perfect, just right Seriously we never have the intention of being confusing but unfortunately it does happen and when it does we always encourage any member to PM the Moderator or another Moderator and ask for some review or discussion.

Comment

question are the new avatars live????? or do you have to reach a certain levels before you can use them???
                                this has happened before and will happen again

Comment

Working...
                                X