This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi!

Not sure ,so I've mailed Darren and sent him some test caps.

Manual search is still working,but the usual displays and menus either aren't available or code's showing.
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Yo baggie green cap.

Is there a viewable counter of your true post count, one that actually includes posts from the OT sub forum?
      (and is there a reason why such posts are not counted whereas stuff in the fun and games forum are counted?)

On a more serious note, how 'bout that ashes series................
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
        Yo baggie green cap.

Is there a viewable counter of your true post count, one that actually includes posts from the OT sub forum?
        All your posts count,as posts made,even in the OT Chatter section.
        You can easily go back through the latest 200 posts you've made via your Profile under "Find all posts" or "Find latest started threads": it's just that posts in OT don't get added to the tallies under our user names.

To find specific older posts ,try searching in-thread ( Option's under "Thread Tools") or via the Forum General or Advanced Search.

Originally posted by Gatefan1976
        (and is there a reason why such posts are not counted whereas stuff in the fun and games forum are counted?)
        Owner sets the Forum Folders.
        When Darren began this vbb version of GW,he wanted the focus and Member rewards to be based on SG and Scifi topics.
        That includes the Fun & Games,RP and so on.

OT Chatter is for everything else: politics,religion.music,Non Scifi/TV games,odd tidbits of news,personal chit chat and so on.

That's been his policy for almost a decade.Recently he gave General TV a Folder,but to date there are no plans to split OT Chatter ,or give a post count to the serious or fluffy threads in that section.

On a more serious note, how 'bout that ashes series................
        Better team won I'd say.

Comment

Update re the Omnipedia : Darren's referred the fix to Greg.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            All your posts count,as posts made,even in the OT Chatter section.
            You can easily go back through the latest 200 posts you've made via your Profile under "Find all posts" or "Find latest started threads": it's just that posts in OT don't get added to the tallies under our user names.

To find specific older posts ,try searching in-thread ( Option's under "Thread Tools") or via the Forum General or Advanced Search.
            I am not looking at finding posts, I am looking at the difference between "spamming" the fun and games folder and the OT folder.
            One counts for posts, one does not.

Owner sets the Forum Folders.
            When Darren began this vbb version of GW,he wanted the focus and Member rewards to be based on SG and Scifi topics.
            That includes the Fun & Games,RP and so on.
            Owner can do what they wish, I am NOT disputing that Baggie, at ALL. Ragging on Darren is way, way down the bottom of the list of things that I find interesting to do
            I am more inclined to HELP Darren, but I want to understand why he made that particular distinction, ya know? Why is "fun and games" valid, but OT not?

OT Chatter is for everything else: politics,religion.music,Non Scifi/TV games,odd tidbits of news,personal chit chat and so on.
            Sure, but why do the OT games exist outside of the "games folder" that are counted?
            Would Sam VS Jack be in the game folder, or the OT folder if it was the same as the Boy V Girl thread?

It's not so much a question of me caring about my post count (I really could not give a toss) but WHY they are separated the way they are.

That's been his policy for almost a decade.Recently he gave General TV a Folder,but to date there are no plans to split OT Chatter ,or give a post count to the serious or fluffy threads in that section.
            I think it may be something worth thinking about, because even the "fluff" are adding to the total experience of Gateworld, and to dismiss them is silly IMHO.

Better team won I'd say.
            5-0, that's not better, that's a smashing!!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              I am not looking at finding posts, I am looking at the difference between "spamming" the fun and games folder and the OT folder.
              One counts for posts, one does not.
              Thank you for the clarification.

Owner can do what they wish, I am NOT disputing that Baggie, at ALL. Ragging on Darren is way, way down the bottom of the list of things that I find interesting to do
              I am more inclined to HELP Darren, but I want to understand why he made that particular distinction, ya know? Why is "fun and games" valid, but OT not?
              Short answer: When Darren and the Mods reviewed feedback in 2006,Darren decided to set up the Fun and Games section.
              They decided then that SG Games were still deserving of a post count.

As the forum's grown and the SF Stream sections people have asked for (or Darren felt the shows needed the space) multiplied,that ruling still stands.

Sure, but why do the OT games exist outside of the "games folder" that are counted?
              Would Sam VS Jack be in the game folder, or the OT folder if it was the same as the Boy V Girl thread?
              Sam v Jack IF it's a game ,not a discussion topic =Fun and Games section.
              Boy vs Girl =OT.
              I think it may be something worth thinking about, because even the "fluff" are adding to the total experience of Gateworld, and to dismiss them is silly IMHO.
              OT is a "Survival of the fittest" zone.Always has been.

Also ,you (as in the generalised form of "you") would have to convince Darren that going through millions of posts in OT to separate topics,or to give many thousands of posts to fluffy things such as what people ate or drank would be worth doing.

5-0, that's not better, that's a smashing!!
              OT ,but yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                Update re the Omnipedia : Darren's referred the fix to Greg.
                Thanks for passing it on so the Omnipedia can get looked at again.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Thanks for the info on the Omnipedia as I was wondering what had happened to it as well.
                  Please help my dragon eggs CLICK HERE My fanfics

Comment

can ppl have conversations about anything they want on their profile pages? they're semi-private, yes, but just how far does the policing go?
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

The standard rules of GW still apply for VM messages. If there are rules that are broken the message can still be reported to the mods, or the owner of the profile can police their own profile. If you want a truly private conversation you can always use the PM system
                      sigpic

Comment

How many post's have i got to make before i'm promoted?. can anybody give me a number?
                        sigpic

Comment

It'll happen soon.Just keep posting,and the system will unlock and let you go onto normal privileges where you'll be able to edit your profile,use PM,etc.

See this post by GW's Owner : 'Probie' Status for New Members

Comment

Thanks Bagpuss
                            sigpic

Comment

My post got eated
                              sigpic

Comment

Yes and I've just replied to your PM.No further comments in here,ty.

Comment

Working...
                                X