This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StefanSGA View Post
    I'm sorry man, you were absolutely right. Excellent episode, BAG, the new shuttle, nice character moments, closure of the Eden-story line etc. But to me it feels like this episode could have easily stood on it's own, like most of SGA's episodes. But like i said, maybe we'll get some more info in the second half of the season after which we can say: ''Aaaw, that's why we focused 2 complete episodes on that alien species, Eden and the group that stayed behind".
    If you want all your answers straight away, then you are watching the wrong show. It's the mystery that keeps things interesting and so ominous.

'Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become'.

Comment

Originally posted by Eestlanna View Post
      Normal grown ups never freeze to death while having an ax and plenty of trees. Even I could build such a cabin and make a fire.

Human self-preservation instinct would force them to help themselves, no matter what they believed.
      That depends on the time frame. It takes awhile to build a wooden shelter especially if we are cutting down trees with only 6 people
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

I think it's more likely that they would have probably starved to death rather than freeze to death. They didn't seem to have long enough to prep and store enough food for the winter...much less being skilled enough to know how to do that in the first place.

I'm thinking of the movie Into the Wild, where the guy it's based on went to Alaska but died of starvation (became so desperate for food that he made the mistake of eating something poisonous making him extremely sick) rather than the cold of winter. In the movie, he was living out of a derelict bus.
        IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
          They didn't seem to have long enough to prep and store enough food for the winter.
          On the contrary. The nature was all green when they stayed on the planet. It takes about two months cold weather to turn the leaves yellow, then fall and then snow to come, I've never seen it happen faster. It's not logical.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaeb View Post
            If you want all your answers straight away, then you are watching the wrong show. It's the mystery that keeps things interesting and so ominous.
            My favorite show of all-time is Lost, so that's seriously no problem. I don't need answers right away but this storyline felt like an unnecessary side-step, like Nikki and Paolo in Lost.
            The return part II: Sheppard contacts O'Neill from the jumper and tells him their mission isn''t sanctioned by General Landry.
            General Jack o'Neill: "So am i to assume you're not surrounded by heavily armed SG-teams and young strapping marines?"
            Dr. Weir: "You've got Colonel Sheppard, Ronon, Teyla, McKay, myself and Dr. Beckett."
            Jack: "Oooh, Dr. Beckett is it? Oh i'm comforted!"
            Dr. Beckett: "What's that supposed to mean?"

Comment

Logical would have been that some of them started to build the cabin, others gathered food and thirds were trying to find out if there were any habitants of the planet. From the moment they decided to stay there they should have been concentrate on survival.

Comment

On the contrary. The nature was all green when they stayed on the planet. It takes about two months cold weather to turn the leaves yellow, then fall and then snow to come, I've never seen it happen faster. It's not logical.
                I agree with you that if the colonists had wanted to they had time to build a rudimentary shelter. Maybe they relied on the shuttle and it ran out of power during winter and they were stuck.

Remember there wasn't any animal life; getting enough protein could have been a problem. Foraging for enough food would have been difficult and even if they were able to gather enough they would have needed to be able to preserve and store it. There is a lot to know and do to survive a harsh winter. I doubt they had the requisite skills and supplies to successfully do so.
                Last edited by Blackhole; 26 November 2010, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Logical would have been that some of them started to build the cabin, others gathered food and thirds were trying to find out if there were any habitants of the planet. From the moment they decided to stay there they should have been concentrate on survival.
                  I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
                    Maybe they relied on the shuttle and it ran out of power during winter and they were stuck.
                    But the trees were still growing next to them and they could at least burn them instead of freezing to death. That is so stupid.

Comment

Using Earth as a comparassion. Its a completely different planet. Their nature cycles may be completely different
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        Using Earth as a comparassion. Its a completely different planet. Their nature cycles may be completely different
                        It's not the question of the cycles of nature, but the nature itself. Green leaves never fall that quickly. Espesically when the nature is so lush as it looked there.

Comment

It's not the question of the cycles of nature, but the nature itself. Green leaves never fall that quickly. Espesically when the nature is so lush as it looked there.
                          We don't know. Thats all according to Earth standards
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Shelter wasn’t their mayor concern. Remember there wasn't any animal life; getting enough protein could have been a problem. Foraging for enough food would have been difficult and even if they were able to gather enough they would have needed to be able to preserve and store it. There is a lot to know and do to survive a harsh winter. I doubt they had the requisite skills and supplies to successfully do so.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              We don't know. Thats all according to Earth standards
                              It's just logical. Nature is nature, it takes time to grow and time to die. And even if the winter came overnight, they still had trees and an ax - there was no need to freeze to death on those circumstances.

Comment

It's just logical. Nature is nature, it takes time to grow and time to die. And even if the winter came overnight, they still had trees and an ax - there was no need to freeze to death on those circumstances.
                                I agree that if they had planned ahead properly they probably could have built a shelter and gathered enough firewood to last them the winter.

Comment

Working...
                                X