This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A minor point.

If the shuttle can be fully restored to last a long time, why not the people?

Comment

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
      A minor point.

How is some body work and a paint job equal to raising the dead and keeping them alive?
      sigpic

Comment

We do have cloning technology now, and some groups have claimed to have cloned a human. However, I don't know how true that is without seeing the research released to a Peer review paper.

So it's not that much of a stretch for a race as advanced as the obelisk beings to create a long lasting human.

Comment

A minor point.

After a bad car accident, the vehicle can often be repaired. But it doesn't take much to damage a human body beyond all repair.

That is true here on Earth, with our technology and our medicine.

Maybe the same is true of the planet builders. Maybe you can repair a body, but reanimating the dead is another thing altogether.

All I know is that, in stories and myths, attempts to reanimate the dead never end well.
          sigpic
          Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

In stories in myth, but that's generally because those stories and myths are basically a tale of caution that humans must not mess with God's work.

These are people who can create entire solar systems in entirely different galaxis hundreds of millions of miles away from each other.

I personally just don't see how they can do something like that without having the knowledge to create a human being.

Comment

Thats why I'm thinking they had never dealt with or tried to fix humans before; and they thought "ok, we fixed the body and put everything back they way it was before, we wiped their memories so they don't remember dying(at least not right away); we should be good to send them back." Its plausible they didn't forsee any complications and figured that everything was ok. Maybe it was their first try at recreating a human, no one is perfect at everything right away.
              sigpic

Comment

These are people who can create entire solar systems in entirely different galaxis hundreds of millions of miles away from each other.
                Except they aren't "people" at all - they are some sort of life forms that are very different from ours and may never have seen a life form anything like a human before. There was no animal life on "Eden" (or at least, that's what they said in "Faith") - maybe they have never seen animal life before, and didn't quite get how to put it together. Maybe they don't know how long animals like us are even supposed to live - they may have thought they did everything exactly right.

Things are always harder than they seem, there is always a catch, you can't get something for free, the universe is speeding towards entropy - that's the point of all those myths and stories, I think. That's why reanimating the dead never ends well!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                  Things are always harder than they seem, there is always a catch, you can't get something for free, the universe is speeding towards entropy - that's the point of all those myths and stories, I think. That's why reanimating the dead never ends well!
                  Worked great for Jack in 'Abyss'. Several times, in fact.

I really find it ridiculous that a race able to build a solar system tailor-made for humancients wouldn't know how to properly fix one.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                    My new policy is to not discuss any previous SG shows, on the grounds that SGU is "not really Stargate" and so any such comparisons are pointless. This new policy is making my life here on Gateworld more peaceful and happy; I was seriously getting an ulcer.
                    sigpic

Comment

I really find it ridiculous that a race able to build a solar system tailor-made for humancients wouldn't know how to properly fix one.
                      Thier is a time limit on the sarchapgus. After so long even it can raise a person from the dead. With the exception of Caine (which is rather ambigous) these people were long dead for days,weeks, and months.
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Even after months of decomposition, they still managed to get memories for their zombies. There can't be much left to work with after being dead for a few months in the wild. AND bringing back someone who died months ago from traumatic brain injury with her previous personality perfectly intact? That implies some serious background radiation structure-level space/time manipulation to me, not the pure biological resurrection/healing we've seen before.
                        sigpic
                        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Even after months of decomposition, they still managed to get memories for their zombies. There can't be much left to work with after being dead for a few months in the wild. AND bringing back someone who died months ago from traumatic brain injury with her previous personality perfectly intact? That implies some serious background radiation structure-level space/time manipulation to me, not the pure biological resurrection/healing we've seen before.
                          We really don't how it was done. It wasn't seen not to mentioned these aliens are way too advanced for us to comprehend
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

They engineered a planet with a biosphere viable for human life. They then restored a million year old shuttle and reanimated or recreated dead bodies. One that had been dead and buried for months. Think of the cellular degeneration that has occurred in that time.

Given the scientific resurrection capabilities we have witnessed in the Stargate Universe from seemingly less advanced races that couldn't create a planet, to make a technological mistake or oversight of that caliber seems unreasonable and not anticipating their creations would soon degenerate and die is not believable to me. Even if they had some non-interference directive that precluded allowing lasting life to already dead people; forcing all of the Faith planet colonists to go through the horror of dying a second time while Destiny's crew had to stand by and watch helplessly was to me rather pointless and even cruel.

JM's blog suggests that the writers would have us believe that it was an unfortunate mistake on the part of the aliens. I think the writers wanted to introduce a new shuttle and tying up the Faith planet storyline with a ‘I told you so resolution’ was a convenient way to do so. Portraying the advanced aliens as fallible is right in line with SGU’s darker ‘wrong people in the wrong place’ ongoing dramatic tone.
                            Last edited by Blackhole; 28 November 2010, 10:24 AM.

Comment

In stories in myth, but that's generally because those stories and myths are basically a tale of caution that humans must not mess with God's work.

I personally just don't see how they can do something like that without having the knowledge to create a human being.
                              No one ever said they can't do it, did they? I for one got the impression that they purposefully only gave them a temporary reincarnation, for reasons only known to them. Maybe I missed something though.
                              Sig by Pandora's Box
                              sigpic

Comment

No one ever said they can't do it, did they? I for one got the impression that they purposefully only gave them a temporary reincarnation, for reasons only known to them. Maybe I missed something though.
                                I got the feeling they couldn't fully reconstruct a human at a physiological level (And, if Caine is to be believed, a "soul"-ly level). They can build planets and shuttles, but they suck at doing stuff to us. Way to go alien guys. I bet they were trying not to piss us off too, and any future negotiations are going to start with, "Hey, remember when you guys tried to help us out by reviving our guys, but they died anyway?"

"..."

"Well, this is off to an awkward start."
                                ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Working...
                                X