Clear All

Originally posted by marty2006 View Post
    Now your just being facetious.
    Nope. I'm just not making assumptions because something is vague
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

From JM's blog:

Nathan writes: “The kind of aliens that would put people back with their friends and kind of family, knowing they’d just die. How horrible is that!?!?”

Answer: The aliens didn’t know they would just end up dying again. They assumed they had “fixed” them.

Similar to what Brian said. But I really have to wonder; the Goa'uld could bring people back to life, and carbon-based lifeforms wouldn't be too hard for a race to figure out, that was smart enough to create a star and a planet that had carbon-based life on it.

And the way the people died almost felt like they had just wound back time for those 8. It's a really strange way to bring them back to life. Technically speaking, all you have to restore the body to optimum condition and get things flowing again. If they could do that with the shuttle, they should have been able to do that with the humans, otherwise we are dealing with some pretty stupid advanced aliens.

At this point, it makes more sense to assume the aliens never intended them to bring them totally back to life, but just give them time to say goodbyes to their friends on Destiny.

Comment

The words our father who art in heaven hallowed be my name were used.
        And this prayer is from the New Testament gospels, so even though there is nothing explicitly Christian about the words, it is much more likely to be spoken by a Christian like Lieutenant Scott than someone else. We really have no idea who Greer addresses his prayers to.

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
          I really liked this episode. It was a bit creepy and very sad. I liked Chloe and her kino videos. I liked Greer going to Chloe and asking for forgiveness for having to kill her when/if she turns. I liked Chloe and Eli's friendship. Even the Chloe and Scott scenes were pretty good.
          I liked Caine and TJ' s scenes. The last scene between them was very sad, but it was probably my favorite part. I think Cain is dead; he did say that he remembered dying and its the one thing no one should have to remember. He was the last to die on the planet so he was alone and he said he prayed and then he and the others were in the shuttle but couldn't remember what happened to them. Maybe the Faith aliens felt bad in the way that everyone died because the only reason they stayed was because they believed; so maybe they wanted to give the people who stayed behind a chance to be with the the rest of he crew; to say goodbye, tell them what happened and not die alone, but among their own people. The beings were powerful, but not all powerful.
          Good post. Interesting rational for why the Faith planet crew was returned to Destiny. You would think if they had the power to resurrect them then they could have kept them alive... but maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by Quallen View Post
            Well staying with the shuttle probably seemed like the safe bet and a sure thing right up until it broke.
            And it probably was.

Originally posted by metabog View Post
            I frickin' hate Caine.

I don't even know what he's doing on an advanced space ship with a bunch of scientists, when the only thing he's done so far in every episode is preach, and not even in a smart way. I mean I see why faith would be an interesting theme, but he comes across as a fundamentalist cultist or something. If anything, that's what's offputting to me about him, not the fact that he had no soul in this episode.

The cosmic microwave background radiation pattern thing is interesting, but I can't believe Rush considers it to be a "sign of intelligence" just because it's a clear pattern. This is a massive logical flaw that any real skeptic or scientist will point out, and skeptics have used this argument against intelligent design for a long time now, long enough that I wish I wouldn't have to see brilliant scientist characters making this mistake.

This is the third modern sci-fi show now that will probably end with "god did it". First BSG (in an interesting way), then LOST (blatantly and annoyingly) and now Stargate.
            That's not how LOST ended.

Originally posted by vszulc View Post
            I think this episode made the show a little worse. Viewers don't need answers to everything.

Before this episode we had a nice little mystery, and could discuss and imagine what had happened to the 7 people left in the planet. (And the writers could have kept them for an episode in the future. Or hell: Used them for a whole new series!)

But nope, they had to ruin the mystery, and waste the 7 on an episode that seemed to have no real purpose other than equip the Destiny with a new shuttle. Bummer.
            They did that.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            I was talking about Twiter in general. Thats a pretty big tweet. I can't see how TPTB would disapprove of what he said. He wasn't negative towards the writing and he didn't unleash spoilers. Thats usually the two big nos from the writers unless your Robert Cartyle who releases spoilers anyway
            There are apps that let you tweet longer and it just takes the first 125 characters and links tot he rest.
            || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by AndSoItBegins View Post
              Its not about anyone being a smart---. Its about people being tired of posts like yours which try to hold EVERY episode of SGU to a standard that no other series was expected to be held to. What was the point of any episode of SG1 or SGA? What was the point of any episode of any show that aired this week?
              Yup, that's how bad its gotten. Even fans of SGU don't know what to say anymore, and prefer to try to change the subject, or talk about other shows if somebody brings up the molasses-like speed of the show, or episodes on autoplay with no point and little plot.

Wonder what will happen next?
              How's Rush's chess board coming along? Will Chloe finally convince Eli to start jogging? And is that really a nervous tick that young is developing?
              Stay tuned for next weeks episode!
              Last edited by vszulc; 24 November 2010, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marty2006 View Post
                Now your just being facetious.
                Regardless of which religion they were from, I think it's awfully hater-ish to want somebody to die because they're of a certain religion. I'm not saying you have to agree with them, but I'm pretty sure they deserve a chance at life the same as you do.

Anyway, back to the original topic of this thread... It seems as though the episode was just a chance to get us a new shuttle. Other than that, there were no status changes between the beginning of the episode and the end of the episode.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

I'm just thankful Wray is a lesbian. It would be so wrong if she was Bi-sexual. Heaven forbid any more Destiny romance.

Comment

Originally posted by SGeff View Post
                    1. If they move to the south, they will lose the shuttle, so they don't want to lose the only shelter.
                    2. There is no sign of animals there, not mention bees, so there is no wax.
                    Okay... then from what did they make candles? Traditionally candles, if not made from found wax, would be made from changing animal products. You could use plant fats, but that would require some processing of collected plant oils (which implies an even harder process), and plants which produce enough natural wax aren't normally found in the cooler climates.

On your first point - yeah, that is the problem. Namely, these are supposed to have been bright people, trained scientists. They should be able to evaluate their options - shelter without a heat source vs. moving to where they are warmer but have to build a shelter. They should have realized that the planet has definite seasons (from the deciduous plants), and without a fuel supply (though I still fail to see why the couldn't just have collected and burnt all the wood around them) would have realized that their situation was going to get worse, and certainly someone would have thought: "gee, maybe we should go to somewhere warmer?"

The writers just made them look too stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by senilegreen View Post
                      Okay... then from what did they make candles? Traditionally candles, if not made from found wax, would be made from changing animal products. You could use plant fats, but that would require some processing of collected plant oils (which implies an even harder process), and plants which produce enough natural wax aren't normally found in the cooler climates.

On your first point - yeah, that is the problem. Namely, these are supposed to have been bright people, trained scientists. They should be able to evaluate their options - shelter without a heat source vs. moving to where they are warmer but have to build a shelter. They should have realized that the planet has definite seasons (from the deciduous plants), and without a fuel supply (though I still fail to see why the couldn't just have collected and burnt all the wood around them) would have realized that their situation was going to get worse, and certainly someone would have thought: "gee, maybe we should go to somewhere warmer?"

The writers just made them look too stupid.
                      1. When they first arrived the planet, they suppose to stay for a month. Young would ask them to bring some wax, make some candles for lightening. Make sense?

2. That just a matter of opinion. They don't know how long the winter would last. Yes now we see they frozen to death, we say how stupid they are not moving to south. How convenient! If they do start move, they could get lost, starved to death as well. Just because this option is a bad option, doesn't the other one could be better. In fact, in the episode Peter does decided to move not wait for the death, but still end up dead.

By the way you don't know when the heat went off, it may off during the long winter season, so it could be between a shelter with the heat source vs. moving to somewhere you don't know.
                      Last edited by SGeff; 24 November 2010, 11:10 PM.

Comment

That all assumes this planet's climate even acts anything like Earth's. Plants grow according to seasons, yes, but these plants may not conform to our growing seasons. It also assumes they can find a north and south, and that they have a compass of some kind (the ship could probably do that, I'll grant). It also assumes they could outpace the winter, since we don't even know where they are relative to the planet or how large the landmass they occupy is. Might not even be near the equator.

Sure, on Earth, this would work. On an alien planet, it's another story.

Comment

Yea what was the point of this episode? It seemed to be partly about Faith. Wrapped up in a Very morbid Story.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                            From JM's blog:

Nathan writes: “The kind of aliens that would put people back with their friends and kind of family, knowing they’d just die. How horrible is that!?!?”

Answer: The aliens didn’t know they would just end up dying again. They assumed they had “fixed” them.
                            I normally would agree with JM, and I like his blog too. But this time I have to disagree. The alien powerful enough to build a star, don't know whether or not they fix the body? Really? More likely they don't intent to fix them.

Comment

The scene with Greer and Chloe was one of the most interesting scenes I've seen, it definitely show a more human side of Greer. Overall I thought this episode was creepy, but I also think this is part of something bigger, or something that will happen in a future episode. There has to be a reason why the aliens did this. I mean why give TJ a vision of her baby being fine on the planet only to shatter her hopes weeks later. The people on Eden had die months before so why now did they decide to show up with a brand new shuttle and a living dead crew. There has to be something going on and I'm hoping we find either on the next episode or on the second half of the season. This episode has left me confuse but also with curiosity.

Comment

Originally posted by StefanSGA View Post
                                Well, excuse me for asking a serious question.... You're implying all kinds of stuff about me with your response and i hope you're not doing this with every other SGU-fan around here, because there aren't that many left. I'm seriously considering leaving this board, because i really don't like responses like yours. So thank you for ruining this thread.
                                Don't worry, you're at least not alone with your question. I'm having a hard time figuring out the point of the episode, too.

I mean, it was a filler that provided some intense character moments and it somewhat tied up some plotstrings, but:

What's the point of the aliens copying the Faithful and sending them back? Closure? If so, why would the Super Aliens care? And what does it achieve to send them back and make everyone watch them die off (again)? Did the Aliens only make one copy of the Faithful or are we gonna see them again (and again and again... which would be good for the shuttle supply )? Or is it to show that those Super Aliens aren't all powerful, because they might move/ create planets and suns, they can only make people come back to life for a few days before they "expire"?

Lots of new questions, for sure!

Comment

Working...
                                X