Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
    Me: Why was Chloe even off world?
    MattSilver 3k: Because Young had decided to have everyone get to go off world, even people without any kind of training.
    Me: Oooh. The PTB tried to justify shoe-horning her into off-world episodes.

How does what you just said disprove my thesis?
    Because the reason for her being off-world is well established and logical, that kinda disqualifies it as being shoe-horning.

Comment

I don't like Chloe, but it was clearly indicated in Time, that she wend off-world to help, she said something like everyone was required to contribute to the ship somehow.

Comment

I think Chloe's character is very appropriate to the show...it's about the wrong people being there...so some people may be useless
        "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

Poor Chloe, i dont understand why people dont like her.
          Im seriously thinking to join "The deffenders of Chloe".

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
            How many lawyers do you think Icarus needed...?
            About 15, you can never have too many lawyers.
            Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Uhm wow...a lot of tl;dr. I'm just going to jump in with my thoughts.

It did occur to me that some negative feelings towards Chloe's character might be brewing in a way similar to the Keller hate that went on during SGA. Fortunate, I supposed, that I found this thread, because I really wanted to know what others where thinking.

I wrote off the show after the first 4 episodes but then decided to give it another go because I wanted to know how the first season held up as a hole. So, we come to this week's episode. I have genuinely been waiting to be impressed by Chloe's character, and do far, that has not happened. Well, I take that back. In the arch of the pilot, I really like how she bonded with Eli and treated him as a peer. That endeared me to her a great deal.

And then she got into this "relationship" with Scott. I still have no idea what that's about, because they're no chemistry that I can see, and it just seems like they decided to put the two pretty people together and...ugh. I could go on.

In relation to Jennifer Keller... I found it hard to separate my love of the actress with that of the character, but after a while, I found the writing for Keller's character severely lacking and the resolution disappointed. Some of it had to do with my preferred ship, but a lot of it had to do with her turning into a fanboy Mary Sue before my eyes, and I wonder if it has anything to do with the show's writers being all male. Seriously. The character growth shown in "Missing" was just wasted potential.

Chloe's defense of Col. Young did not blow me away, but I don't think it was a failing on the part of her character, just, as someone previously commented, that the dramatic action shifted so that trial was no longer as important.

At this point in the show, she's the character I care about the least.
              . . . . .

Spoiler:

Comment

Never heard of Mary Sue until this thread so thanks to the OP for teaching me something new.

From my little perusal of this little internet thing, I must say I disagree with Chloe being defined as a Mary Sue (from the definitions I read). In fact, I must say that in order of Mary Sueness (yes it is a word....its on the internet now so it must be true), Sam seems to fit the mould strongest, followed by Keller.

Chloe on the other hand doesn't fit any description I could find. She is hardly a wish fulfillment of anything the writers may have dreamt up. I can easily see this with Sam and to a lesser extent Keller, but Chloe at this stage of the series just doesn't seem to fit that one for me.

I must reluctantly agree (as a founding member of the defenders of Chloe) that she hadn't done much besides get her kit off for the for first 9 episodes. However I qiute enjoyed the courtroom-esque scene. Mentioned earlier a few times was that a political science background wouldn't have helped, but neither did a law degree. This scene had as much relvance to any legal process or procedure as operating an ice cream truck. Whatever her credentials were, I thought she delivered her argument strongly and stuck to her guns when Wrae tried to manipulate the conversation using her obviously strong negotiation skills. I feel that her real credentials for this job was not her political science background, but her breeding in being used to dealing with high powered people and not getting pushed around.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by renisanz View Post
                  In relation to Jennifer Keller... I found it hard to separate my love of the actress with that of the character, .
                  sorry to double post but this comment resonated greatly with me. However I feel the same with Rush. I am such a massive fan of RC and have been for so long that although Rush is a kind of little evil man with some probably really bad motives for stuff, I just love RC and am so impressed by his acting that I overlook the flaws in the character. By flaws in his character I am referring to personality traits, not poor writing.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                    sorry to double post but this comment resonated greatly with me.
                    No problem.

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                    However I feel the same with Rush. I am such a massive fan of RC and have been for so long that although Rush is a kind of little evil man with some probably really bad motives for stuff, I just love RC and am so impressed by his acting that I overlook the flaws in the character. By flaws in his character I am referring to personality traits, not poor writing.
                    I was not familiar with much of Robert Carlyle's work besides recognizing his name, but I agree that his performance has been awesome. He does a great job of making an unlikeable character still compelling and interesting to watch.

The problem with Chloe is that I actually liked her in the very beginning as I mentioned, in her scene with Eli in the mess hall. Then it was all downhill from there and that annoyed me. Like, her thing with Scott...She's told us why she's with him and...they're relationship is just not believable, no basis for it, and that for me, is a detriment to her character development more than anything else.
                    . . . . .

Spoiler:

Comment

Jennifer Keller was that one chick who many (I'll use that term even if some of you might disagree) fans thought was a Mary Sue. She swooped into the show and many (again I'll use that term) fans felt that she was shoehorned into a lot of episodes.
                      She is one of the few 3 dimensional characters (prior to Universe) and people call her a Mary Sue? *facepalm*

Comment

Originally posted by Link Æwondåslåmon View Post
                        She is one of the few 3 dimensional characters (prior to Universe) and people call her a Mary Sue? *facepalm*
                        You know what my favourite part about people calling her or Sam Mary Sue's is? It ignores every single male character who is just as perfect and OTT.
                        Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
                          You know what my favourite part about people calling her or Sam Mary Sue's is? It ignores every single male character who is just as perfect and OTT.
                          I did read what they call male Mary Sues....something like Barry Stu or something. Pretty much every male character in the history of Stargate is one of these....
                          sigpic

Comment

the most effective and dramatic thing they've done with her is kill her off in "time", let's see that again!! on a more permanent basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
                              Name one.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck32 View Post
                                the most effective and dramatic thing they've done with her is kill her off in "time", let's see that again!! on a more permanent basis.
                                Since I have kept myself totally spoiler free for SGU, I had no idea what "Time" was about, and when I saw her get Whacked it was perfect.
                                no means no, and so does pepper spray
                                Sig by The Carpenter
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X