Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
    Not really a fan of this idea.

I mean, it's a cool scifi spin on things, but it doesn't fit with SGU. With Chloe, I want to see her work out her own problems by herself and grow naturally into a useful, confident character. I don't want her to immediately become that just because she chose to sit in a chair; way too fast and abrupt.
    It doesn't have to be fast and abrupt. She can begin to have flashback of the Ancient life in her dream. Then waking flashback. She doesn't have to access ancient knowledge in her brain like a computer "instantly". Or maybe she can get better, or not, at it with time. I'm not a writer but I think you get my point. In fact, her getting into the chair could possibly have psychological (behavioral) impact, if the writers want it.

The problem with Chloe is that there's NOTHING she can do that can actually be really useful. The only ideas thus far is her becoming TJ's nurse or maybe, less likely now, be the manager of the hydroponic bay (read Kes in Voyager). Both idea not so strong storywise. In the sense, you can't generate much stories with those. But at least they would have a reason to bring her on planets, in the first place, to gather some new fruits and vegetables. She could also be an ambassador in a Universe series with more aliens (lets hope for the future ). I can't see her taking soldiers training or becoming a scientist.

So the problem with Chloe still stand. What can she be beside being Scott girlfriend or "the girl who lost her father in the first episode".

Sure, its fun to see a character who doesn't have any use but it gets old after a while. She need to move toward something. Unless she will become the resident lawyer on the Destiny, I see nothing at the moment.
    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
      It doesn't have to be fast and abrupt. She can begin to have flashback of the Ancient life in her dream. Then waking flashback. She doesn't have to access ancient knowledge in her brain like a computer "instantly". Or maybe she can get better, or not, at it with time. I'm not a writer but I think you get my point. In fact, her getting into the chair could possibly have psychological (behavioral) impact, if the writers want it.
      Perhaps I worded my post wrongly; but my point is, I don't want her development to be acelerated by an artificial plot device like the chair. Yes, there could be psychological fallout from that, but at the end it's not her figuring out her role by herself, but rather the Ancient memories and data making her do it. That's not a strong character; that's just her following along with what the chair gave her. Once she gets in that chair, she ceases to be "a normal human dealing with extraordinary situations" but rather "a walking database" of a sort. Yes, she will have a bit of her humanity intact, but the fact that there's a bit of artificial-ness to her makes it less relatable for me. This is why I've always been against an alien character like Teal'c, Ronon, or Teyla on SGU. It's a story about Earth human dealing with human problems; leave it at that.

There's also the fact that, out of everyone on the crew right now, she is the most useless. You may not like that, and that's fine, but for me it's actually quite appealing. It makes her unique amongst the character tropes so far exhibited by SGU, and I don't want that snatched away so quickly.

Now, I'm not against her sitting in it, getting the data downloaded into her brain, and then losing that a short time later. That way, we get to see her dealing with its aftereffects as a normal human being. That's much more appealing to me.

The problem with Chloe is that there's NOTHING she can do that can actually be really useful. The only ideas thus far is her becoming TJ's nurse or maybe, less likely now, be the manager of the hydroponic bay (read Kes in Voyager). Both idea not so strong storywise. In the sense, you can't generate much stories with those. But at least they would have a reason to bring her on planets, in the first place, to gather some new fruits and vegetables. She could also be an ambassador in a Universe series with more aliens (lets hope for the future ). I can't see her taking soldiers training or becoming a scientist.

So the problem with Chloe still stand. What can she be beside being Scott girlfriend or "the girl who lost her father in the first episode".

Sure, its fun to see a character who doesn't have any use but it gets old after a while. She need to move toward something. Unless she will become the resident lawyer on the Destiny, I see nothing at the moment.
      The keywords being "at the moment". Give her time. Considering that TPTB are planning to have a fairly extended arc with these characters, we can't expect someone like Chloe to develop into a contributing member of the crew overnight, especially with how she was at the beginning. That would essentially "end" her character arc.

In fact, I don't expect any of the crew to become their ideal selves until the end of the series. That's the whole point of these character-driven stories; the character start weak, and end strong (or dead). In comparison, plot-driven series like SG1 and SGA start off with fairly strong characters, and they must subsequently face various trials to test that strength; in the process, they usually prove that their strength survives the test, but that also means that they don't actually change/develop that much. That's fine, of course; but it's not what SGU is.

You say it gets old; I disagree. For me, a character's worth does not depend on how useful he/she is to the plot at hand, but rather whether he/she contributes to the mix of characters and interactions in the show. I think she does, so I'd rather she keeps herself this way and develop at her own natural pace.

Comment

I still like the idea, but it won't happen. We'll see what they will do with Chloe's development. I hope we'll see some hint of where this character is going in the next few episodes.
        Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Why do people consider that Chloe is useless... there are atleast 80 people on board the ship, some are even more useless but nobody complains about them.

Comment

Originally posted by The Swarm View Post
            Why do people consider that Chloe is useless... there are atleast 80 people on board the ship, some are even more useless but nobody complains about them.
            They aren't highlighted in the series. and I do think since they were part of the Icarus Base personnel, that they do have functuions. Chloe was just an observer along on a trip with her Father.
            no means no, and so does pepper spray
            Sig by The Carpenter
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Swarm View Post
              Because she's one of the main character. Sure the guy guarding the door in SG1 (use your imagination) was boring and useless (well, less than Chloe i guess), but he was not one of the main characters!

Comment

I KNOW!!!

Make her dance every night to entertain the male refugees, she does have night club experience after all.

Comment

We also know that she can dance.

Comment

I mean, it's a cool scifi spin on things, but it doesn't fit with SGU. With Chloe, I want to see her work out her own problems by herself and grow naturally into a useful, confident character. I don't want her to immediately become that just because she chose to sit in a chair; way too fast and abrupt.
                    Perhaps I worded my post wrongly; but my point is, I don't want her development to be accelerated by an artificial plot device like the chair. Yes, there could be psychological fallout from that, but at the end it's not her figuring out her role by herself, but rather the Ancient memories and data making her do it. That's not a strong character; that's just her following along with what the chair gave her. Once she gets in that chair, she ceases to be "a normal human dealing with extraordinary situations" but rather "a walking database" of a sort. Yes, she will have a bit of her humanity intact, but the fact that there's a bit of artificial-ness to her makes it less relatable for me. This is why I've always been against an alien character like Teal'c, Ronon, or Teyla on SGU. It's a story about Earth human dealing with human problems; leave it at that.

There's also the fact that, out of everyone on the crew right now, she is the most useless. You may not like that, and that's fine, but for me it's actually quite appealing. It makes her unique amongst the character tropes so far exhibited by SGU, and I don't want that snatched away so quickly.

Now, I'm not against her sitting in it, getting the data downloaded into her brain, and then losing that a short time later. That way, we get to see her dealing with its aftereffects as a normal human being. That's much more appealing to me.

The keywords being "at the moment". Give her time. Considering that TPTB are planning to have a fairly extended arc with these characters, we can't expect someone like Chloe to develop into a contributing member of the crew overnight, especially with how she was at the beginning. That would essentially "end" her character arc.

In fact, I don't expect any of the crew to become their ideal selves until the end of the series. That's the whole point of these character-driven stories; the character start weak, and end strong (or dead). In comparison, plot-driven series like SG1 and SGA start off with fairly strong characters, and they must subsequently face various trials to test that strength; in the process, they usually prove that their strength survives the test, but that also means that they don't actually change/develop that much. That's fine, of course; but it's not what SGU is.

You say it gets old; I disagree. For me, a character's worth does not depend on how useful he/she is to the plot at hand, but rather whether he/she contributes to the mix of characters and interactions in the show. I think she does, so I'd rather she keeps herself this way and develop at her own natural pace.
                    Well said PG15. Somehow you managed to sum up the main things I wanted to say about this.
                    A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

I think i saw her in Air part 3 helping T.J. operateing Franklin....she could be the ships nurse.

Comment

Chloe != Keller. Why? Keller, for all the flaws with the character, was useful as a doctor. A bachelor's degree in political science is about as useful as a full latrine. Trust me, I have one (a BA in PoliSci, not a full latrine) and it is utterly worthless unless you want to be a high school teacher or have an influential daddy. Chloe is really only useful as... well, I think it goes without saying at this point what Chloe's only real use is. Just ask Scott. Actually, that's pretty much his only real use as well. Anyway, I'll stop before I get myself in trouble.

Comment

But being useless to the crew, and being useless as a character are two completely different things. I don't think anyone would disagree that she doesn't have the skills to be where she is, but that's sorta the point of her being there. Her lack of talent doesn't diminish her character from a storytelling point of view, quite the opposite really.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                            But being useless to the crew, and being useless as a character are two completely different things. I don't think anyone would disagree that she doesn't have the skills to be where she is, but that's sorta the point of her being there. Her lack of talent doesn't diminish her character from a storytelling point of view, quite the opposite really.
                            I agree that having a character that is useless in the beginning can be a good idea on paper. But thus far the execution lacks. Chloe doesn't come out as a likable character yet, and we don't care about her predicament. Maybe its because she has no redeeming value. Maybe thing will change in the future. Before the start of the season, I liked the idea of having a character that didn't have the direct qualification to be on the Stargate program. Most of the time those type of characters compensate with some other redeeming value: Courage, intuition, people skills, big heart, analytical skills, perspicacity, etc. Even O'Neill in SG1 wouldn't be the first choice to head such important mission. Vala is another character with no direct qualification.

Comment

I agree that having a character that is useless in the beginning can be a good idea on paper. But thus far the execution lacks. Chloe doesn't come out as a likable character yet, and we don't care about her predicament. Maybe its because she has no redeeming value. Maybe thing will change in the future. Before the start of the season, I liked the idea of having a character that didn't have the direct qualification to be on the Stargate program. Most of the time those type of characters compensate with some other redeeming value: Courage, intuition, people skills, big heart, analytical skills, perspicacity, etc. Even O'Neill in SG1 wouldn't be the first choice to head such important mission. Vala is another character with no direct qualification.
                              Good points, I agree.
                              no means no, and so does pepper spray
                              Sig by The Carpenter
                              sigpic

Comment

Most of the time those type of characters compensate with some other redeeming value: Courage, intuition, people skills, big heart, analytical skills, perspicacity, etc. Even O'Neill in SG1 wouldn't be the first choice to head such important mission. Vala is another character with no direct qualification.
                                If there's one thing Chloe has above the others is her morality, as shown in Air II, Water, and Justice; that's good enough for me.

There's an inner strength to her that, though not often shown, is most definitely there.

As this show is attempting to portray a bunch of fairly random people dumped on a spaceship, I'd expect a few people who not only do not have any direct qualifications, but also do not have any "secondary qualifications" like those you've mentioned, at least not in abnormally large amounts. They'd just be normal people, and normal people, on average, aren't poster childs for any of those qualities.

Comment

Working...
                                X