This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
    That's okay. I'll buy two copies to make up for it.
    Good man always thinking of your less fortunate dvdless neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by StarFighter View Post
      For those of you that love it I have just one question. After 4 episodes what useful info have they learned about the ship? Rush has been studying the ship for 4 episodes. So what USEFUL information have they discovered?
      They've been there three-four days, tops. In that time, they have had to confront life threatening problems. When the situation is "Fix the ship or die" there is no time for discovering useful information. That you even think that they should be discovering information when there are serious, life threatening problems that are the priority is bizarre.
      I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

And that is why this show will fail. It is a complete turn around from what the majority of existing fans like. Instead of having self contained episodes they use whole episodes just to slowly set up the conflict of the next episode. That pacing is too slow for most people.

In fact I will even predict how the next episode goes. Ready? They all think they are going to die and at the very last minute they live.

The writing is the same as the other two shows. It is the pacing that is slower.
        Really, who put you in charge of decideing what fans like. There are plenty who do and while I respect your right not to the the show you have no right to go round lecturing those who do. You dont own the franchise nor do the creators owe you anything, its their show, they have created it this way for an audience which is clearly there.

In other news some people must live very exciting lives because I tend not to go aerobraking round fricken gas giants in my day to day life. Oh and what were the two eps after the SG1 and Atlantis pilots, oh yeah The Enemy Within and Hide and Seek, hardly stuffed to the gills with action. But of course its very convienant to forget this so that you can bash SGU. Mark my words come the end of the season the people bashing SGU will still be here, claiming how it is crap and they wont watch a second season, which they will cause you need to see it in order to bash it dont you.

Comment

Everybody who thinks that nothing happened so far confuses explosions and fistfights with the actual storytelling.

Now, not everybody enjoys the same things, but that doesn't mean that it's reasonable to demand from an entirely new series (which is trying to do things differently because the old concept grew stale) to produce episodes that are indistinguishable from the previous series.
          People who feel themselves to be entitled to safeguard the franchise against its own creators should seriously calm down. Either watch it or leave it.

Comment

I like most of the characters and think the series has scope for some good storylines they (writers) just have to limit the amount of body jumping back to earth for visiting family (on screen at least) as it is killing the tension with schmaltz.

They also need to drip feed us some kind of enemy or mystery like the end of the other episode with the mysterious ship. One relationship that should be explored is between Rush and Eli, Eli thinks he is nothing special but the small comment (I think) from Rush that if Young really wanted to help him he should send Eli shows he (Rush) actually likes or at least respects someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Zleet View Post
              I like most of the characters and think the series has scope for some good storylines they (writers) just have to limit the amount of body jumping back to earth for visiting family (on screen at least) as it is killing the tension with schmaltz.

They also need to drip feed us some kind of enemy or mystery like the end of the other episode with the mysterious ship. One relationship that should be explored is between Rush and Eli, Eli thinks he is nothing special but the small comment (I think) from Rush that if Young really wanted to help him he should send Eli shows he (Rush) actually likes or at least respects someone.
              I think Eli was chosen for more reasons than a video game code. Rush seems to know something more than he is letting on.

Comment

And that is why this show will fail. It is a complete turn around from what the majority of existing fans like. Instead of having self contained episodes they use whole episodes just to slowly set up the conflict of the next episode. That pacing is too slow for most people.

In fact I will even predict how the next episode goes. Ready? They all think they are going to die and at the very last minute they live.

The writing is the same as the other two shows. It is the pacing that is slower.
                oh, yes, except that this time, there wont be a genius who hacks the ship, turns it around, and puts them on a course back home in 15 minutes, except that time runs out and he does it in 5 minutes instead. that, while he and his team crack some jokes and sitting in a chair thinking actually accomplishes something.

infact, the superhive thing... it all seemed too easy. i should've known they would nuke it from the inside, it was the first effective method.
                we all know they're not gonna destroy the ship. however, we dont know how, and when we cant predict HOW, then it's actually quality.

also, since when is this what the "majority of the fans" hate? SGU had better ratings than SGA in FIVE YEARS. and then increased the ratings.

if that does not speak for itself.....

I think Eli was chosen for more reasons than a video game code. Rush seems to know something more than he is letting on.
                the fact that rush wanted only eli to help and nobody else, more or less shows me that eli's gonna be Rush's tool.

in simple terms.

rush has eli
                Young has scott and TJ
                scott has greer

wray has the public, so to speak.

besides, eli is one of the few who doesnt want to kill Rush and actually likes him and doesnt believe he was immoral and evil for what he did. infact, eli HELPED rush and nobody seems to blame him for that.

eli is a blank slate, so to speak, and rush wants to write on it before somebody else does.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                  They've been there three-four days, tops. In that time, they have had to confront life threatening problems. When the situation is "Fix the ship or die" there is no time for discovering useful information. That you even think that they should be discovering information when there are serious, life threatening problems that are the priority is bizarre.
                  But in the 3-4 days Rush has been going over as much as he can and we still know very little. Rush isn't explaining anything. Maybe that makes sense for the show situation but it leaves us views in the dark.

People can knock McKay all they want but his long explanations are what helped shape the tech that we know. Everytime McKay went on a tech rant that was the writers giving us a heads up as to what was happening.

Comment

Explaining what, exactly? That the ship is out of power? They aren't inventing magical ways to defeat the Wraith. The are working with an independent ship that's locked them out of the system. They have no control of the ship to speak of.
                    I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                      Explaining what, exactly? That the ship is out of power? They aren't inventing magical ways to defeat the Wraith. The are working with an independent ship that's locked them out of the system. They have no control of the ship to speak of.
                      How about explain anything in detail. Like the why the ship is on a freaking countdown every time they stop or the story behind the gates we see in this series. How about explain anything.

Comment

Or not. This isn't Atlantis, we can't apply the scriptwriting technique it used in every episode to a new series:

Tease: Everything is fine, writers fail at witty banter between characters
                        Act 1: Ludicrous scientific/technological problem, 80% of the time of McKay's own making
                        Act 2: OH NO WE'RE DOOMED
                        Act 3: Sheppard and McKay bicker, everyone else stands around doing nothing**
                        Act 4: McKay singlehandedly saves the day with a scientific/technological solution even more ridiculous than the problem in the first place
                        Act 5: Hooray, everything's back to where we were in the Tease

**This step can be disregarded after season 3
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                          As someone who was hugely excited about SGU, I feel somewhat of a traitor for posting this thread but after Darkness I just couldn't shake the feeling.

For the love of god let something actually happen in SGU!! Darkness was exactly what it was expected to be. The power goes out so they try and fix it. The end. Roll credits.

I can't help this feeling of immense disappointment and sadness that has built up over the past few weeks now. Besides some quality acting and a couple of good characters, SGU on a whole for me is actually quite boring. I can honestly say that if I wasn't this stupid Stargate nut then I would never give SGU the time of day. I will keep watching of course but during Darkness I actually contemplated putting a load of washing on, knowing I wouldn't miss anything. Washing!! I don't do washing. Let alone when Stargate is on.

Am I being too harsh? The high expectations I had being unrealistic perhaps. Am I alone with these thoughts or do I have friends???
                          I totally agree with you.
                          General Jack O'Neill, still HOTTer than ever!

Comment

But in the 3-4 days Rush has been going over as much as he can and we still know very little. Rush isn't explaining anything. Maybe that makes sense for the show situation but it leaves us views in the dark.

People can knock McKay all they want but his long explanations are what helped shape the tech that we know. Everytime McKay went on a tech rant that was the writers giving us a heads up as to what was happening.
                            that's what I like,, the tech talk!

and in SG1 (which is my fave) I loved how Sam and Jackson would work through problems, that's EXACTLY why I watch SciFi. I like the detailed science stuff,

When I want a soap opera I watch General Hospital, who by the way has a strong interesting male, i.e. Luke.

Who is SGU's strong sexy handsome intelligent male???? I sure haven't found one yet
                            General Jack O'Neill, still HOTTer than ever!

Comment

as rush said, he didnt even get into the main systems. how the hell can he explain everything as the ship simply doesnt allow him to!

the countdown occurs because the ship estimates a certain amount of time is needed for a mission to be done, and if it does not occur within this time, something is wrong. also, it's possible the ship detected the power problem and the lifesupport problem, and the only way to solve both was to get back in a certain amount of time.

and if everything was explained, people who think this show is slow would complaint even MORE than they do now

Comment

Originally posted by missmobius View Post
                                When I want a soap opera I watch General Hospital, who by the way has a strong interesting male, i.e. Luke.

Who is SGU's strong sexy handsome intelligent male???? I sure haven't found one yet
                                Jeez... and the others call us Chloe and Vanessa James fans shallow...
                                ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Working...
                                X