This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
    As someone who was hugely excited about SGU, I feel somewhat of a traitor for posting this thread but after Darkness I just couldn't shake the feeling.

For the love of god let something actually happen in SGU!! Darkness was exactly what it was expected to be. The power goes out so they try and fix it. The end. Roll credits.

I can't help this feeling of immense disappointment and sadness that has built up over the past few weeks now. Besides some quality acting and a couple of good characters, SGU on a whole for me is actually quite boring. I can honestly say that if I wasn't this stupid Stargate nut then I would never give SGU the time of day. I will keep watching of course but during Darkness I actually contemplated putting a load of washing on, knowing I wouldn't miss anything. Washing!! I don't do washing. Let alone when Stargate is on.

Am I being too harsh? The high expectations I had being unrealistic perhaps. Am I alone with these thoughts or do I have friends???

You have friends. I nearly fell asleep. It was even worse than watching SGA's Inquisition - I did the dusting while watching that episode.

I've just had a horrible thought... perhaps Stargate is being sponsored by washing powder/cleaning product manufacturers & turning us into Stepford wives

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      Step back a minute, Phenom. We've just seen the first episode after the pilot and thus far we've had:

- travel aboard a new Earth battlecruiser
      - an attack on an Earth base
      - discovery of an ancient Ancient ship
      - breathing crisis
      - an offworld adventure/on-location shoot somewhere other than the Vancouver area
      - the ship skimming a gas giant and firing itself at a star

I don't know how exciting your life is, but that's more than I've done in the last week
      First of all sir,
      A ship traveling from any distance from outside a solar system and then intercepts a planet and then sling shots into the sun is clearly traveling at speeds near or at lightspeed.

When they hit that atmosphere the ship should have been destroyed or a fireball. (going on that these ship are not as powerful as the Asgard ships even with shields that didn't survive reentry. )

Comment

Nope, you're not alone. I wanted to knock the producer on the head.. It was boring... useless introduction of the crew that aren't really main characters...it almost seems like the writer wanted to fill in gaps.

I agree that we should get to know the whole crew but they really need to develop their main characters first before they go into other minor characters. I still know nothing about Camille. Anyway, before you know it, the whole episode was done. I dunno, there was absolutely no excitement. Unlike Stargate SG1 and SGA, it draws u in. You're right, if I wasn't a fan of Stargate, I probably wouldn't have gave SGU the time of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
          First of all sir,
          A ship traveling from any distance from outside a solar system and then intercepts a planet and then sling shots into the sun is clearly traveling at speeds near or at lightspeed.

When they hit that atmosphere the ship should have been destroyed or a fireball. (going on that these ship are not as powerful as the Asgard ships even with shields that didn't survive reentry. )
          I'm not sure where you got this idea from. Solar systems are not some set determined size. In fact, Lisa Park (the girl who talked about earthquakes in her kino video) mentioned that the system's star was a red dwarf. This, coupled with the fact that three planets appeared to be habitable, told us that the planets seemed to have a smaller orbital radius (say, in comparison to our solar system).

So it could very well be the case that the Destiny came out of FTL quite near the boundary of the solar system, or perhaps even inside of it...so it didn't have much distance to travel.

Second, it doesn't take even close to near-light speeds to pull off a slingshot maneuver. For example, NASA has used similar mechanisms for previous data-gathering spacecraft (i.e. Voyagers 1 & 2, Messenger, etc...) These spacecraft do not (and never have) traveled at near-light speeds to pull these maneuvers off.

Lastly, even if the Destiny was traveling at near-light speed still (I doubt it was....), it was mentioned that shields and life-support were still working, even though every other system in the ship was shut down. I'd imagine that the Destiny would have ensured it had adequate shield coverage before trying to execute a slingshot maneuver like it did.
          Sig by Pandora's Box
          sigpic

Comment

Wow...I liked this episode...I liked it so much that I watched it live, watched parts of it on my computer that night, and I LISTENED to it today while I was doing homework. It was a good episode in my opinion because it showed some about the characters...which is what I liked in the other series. I especially loved Rush's rant before he passes out. It's like he didn't stop until he hit the floor.

I always liked the character interactions of the original team and especially the dynamic between John and Rodney. I like dialog actually...I would actually like a bit more technical talk actually. That's why I really enjoyed McKay in Atlantis. He was funny, technical, and a generally fun character to watch.

Comment

I'm with Reddevil and DigiFluid (Burlington represent! ), I loved this episode, and I think that alot of people accustomed to SG-1 and SGA's pace are finding that "nothing is happening", even when it does - I loved the Rush freakout and the ship entering the gas giant. Hell, I loved the whole episode. Well - except for Young's wife. Everyone seems to have hated that part too

I don't blame people if they don't like it, its so different, it might just not be that person's cup of tea, however, I find it's awesome. And I'm sure there are still tons of people on both sides of the fence. To each their own - but here's hoping the show does meet your guys expectations!

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                As someone who was hugely excited about SGU, I feel somewhat of a traitor for posting this thread but after Darkness I just couldn't shake the feeling.

For the love of god let something actually happen in SGU!! Darkness was exactly what it was expected to be. The power goes out so they try and fix it. The end. Roll credits.

I can't help this feeling of immense disappointment and sadness that has built up over the past few weeks now. Besides some quality acting and a couple of good characters, SGU on a whole for me is actually quite boring. I can honestly say that if I wasn't this stupid Stargate nut then I would never give SGU the time of day. I will keep watching of course but during Darkness I actually contemplated putting a load of washing on, knowing I wouldn't miss anything. Washing!! I don't do washing. Let alone when Stargate is on.

Am I being too harsh? The high expectations I had being unrealistic perhaps. Am I alone with these thoughts or do I have friends???
                I'm right here to support you. This show is a bore fest. It is like nothing is happening or the plot isn't going anywhere.

And reddevil, you say this was one of your favorite episodes from the ENTIRE FRANCHISE? That is ridiculous. You have to be a fanboy willing support the franchise at any cost.

Comment

Originally posted by StarFighter View Post
                  I'm right here to support you. This show is a bore fest. It is like nothing is happening or the plot isn't going anywhere.

And reddevil, you say this was one of your favorite episodes from the ENTIRE FRANCHISE? That is ridiculous. You have to be a fanboy willing support the franchise at any cost.
                  Because people aren't allowed to have their opinions, right?

And it's no more ridiculous than your statement of:

Originally posted by StarFighter
                  After 4 episodes we still know nothing. Literally. The character development is NON EXISTENT!
                  Sig by Pandora's Box
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                    I'm not sure where you got this idea from. Solar systems are not some set determined size. In fact, Lisa Park (the girl who talked about earthquakes in her kino video) mentioned that the system's star was a red dwarf. This, coupled with the fact that three planets appeared to be habitable, told us that the planets seemed to have a smaller orbital radius (say, in comparison to our solar system).
                    I've already accounted for the solar system size.
                    I'm voicing a concern. I haven't counted the minutes but my impression is that the passage through the system was far to fast. ANY fraction of the speed of light would be too fast. I went for the higher end.

So it could very well be the case that the Destiny came out of FTL quite near the boundary of the solar system, or perhaps even inside of it...so it didn't have much distance to travel.
                    If I recall there are at least four planets.
                    The fact that it's a Dwarf star means like you said a habitable zone closer to the star.

I assume the system is around 450 million miles at least at that range it would take 25 minutes at light and it seems that the amount of time that passed. I don't know...

Second, it doesn't take even close to near-light speeds to pull off a slingshot maneuver. For example, NASA has used similar mechanisms for previous data-gathering spacecraft (i.e. Voyagers 1 & 2, Messenger, etc...) These spacecraft do not (and never have) traveled at near-light speeds to pull these maneuvers off.
                    Yes, sir, I know that.

Lastly, even if the Destiny was traveling at near-light speed still (I doubt it was....), it was mentioned that shields and life-support were still working, even though every other system in the ship was shut down. I'd imagine that the Destiny would have ensured it had adequate shield coverage before trying to execute a slingshot maneuver like it did.
                    There should have been a fireball, sir.
                    That much is clear.

Comment

[EDIT] Re: conversation with Saquist.

I figured out what you meant by "fireball". I thought you meant that the ship should have been destroyed in a fireball, which I do not agree with. However, I do agree that there (probably) should have been some sort of glow due to the ship entering the atmosphere of the gas giant. Sorry for the confusion.

I will say, though, that a lot of what you (Saquist) are saying rests upon assumptions that we simply do not know given the amount of information we obtained from the episode.

In any case, I think we at least agree that it's not necessarily the case that the ship should have been destroyed during the slingshot maneuver?
                      Last edited by Coronach; 18 October 2009, 05:08 PM. Reason: Clarification and I realized what was being said.
                      Sig by Pandora's Box
                      sigpic

Comment

My take... first a little background. My friend is a big SG-1 fan... she tried for years to get me to watch. I didn't.... no reason other then I just didn't have any interest. I saw the movie when it first came out, but nothing of the series. Then SG:A started, and I watched that from day one. After the first season or two I went back and watched SG1 over the course of a few weeks, and continued to watch the new episodes. (Season 8 or 9 I guess) I heard that they were going to stop SG:A for SG:U and I was very upset. Well, I was upset with the whole Weir thing... I didn't like bringing Carter over... or Wolsey. I really, really didn't like those changes. But when they said SG:A was ending, I was very disapointed.

I never watched BSG... and I know some people have compared SG:U to that.... I didn't read any spoilers on SG:U, which at this point I don't really care if I do from here on out. I think the show is very slow... and the only reason I'm giving it a shot is cause of the SG name.

I thought this episode was very boring, but I've watched it twice, and the 2nd viewing was better... I'll say that much. The 2nd viewings of all the episodes thus far have been better... but even so, I don't like it nearly as much as I like SG-1 or SG:A.

I really hope future episodes pick up the pace a bit... and since I haven't read about future episodes, I don't know if TPTB have an overall series arc planned out or what... but I hope we see some progress towards an end. Not to compare it to ST:V but we knew there was an end in sight of them getting home. SG:U - the ship was sent out to follow the ships that were placing the gates... so far out from either MWG or Pegasus.. unless they can either change it's course, or use the gate to get home...

I'll stick with it... but I don't see myself sitting down bored and putting on an episode or three. I'd rather watch a handfull of SG1 or SGA episodes.

-R

Comment

I was satisfied with the episode. I think the problem that some people have with SGU is that it's serialized and everything doesn't get tied up at the end of each hour. I can totally appreciate the SG1 and Atlantis style of solving issues in the nick of time, but I also like the idea of presenting a big "Holy crap!!" moment at the end of the episode and maybe tying it up in the next ep...or even presenting something and not addressing it for a few more episodes (like the little alien shuttle at the end of Air 3. How long will it be before that mystery is revealed?)

I know some folks aren't fans of shows like LOST or 24. I happen to love shows like that. I'll watch pretty much anything that JJ Abrams does for two reasons. 1) The characters almost seem to take priority to the story and they are written in such a way that we grow to love or hate them over time, yet somehow the story still shines because there's room to tell a good, long story over the period of several episodes. 2) That feeling of suspense when we see that scene towards or at the end of the show that makes you gasp...and then *Boom* LOST logo. Then you roll around theories in your head all week trying to figure out what's going to happen next. You get online and talk to others about their theories and come to find out the writers throw a curveball that no one expected. That's exciting to me, but I can see how some people would hate that because they might be impatient or don't like the suspense of waiting until the next episode to see what plays out.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that in order for a show like this to work, there has to be episodes where the characters take a little time to show who they really are, let questions be answered, let previous mysteries unfold, and new questions and mysteries arise, without being interrupted by a firefight or a space battle. You can't please everybody, and it can't be all action all the time. There are episodes of LOST which I could hardly make it through, but while one man's "Walkabout" is another man's "Egg Town", every episode ends up being important to the story in the long run, no matter how boring you think it is.
                          Last edited by Larry The Chevron Guy; 18 October 2009, 05:22 PM. Reason: Correcting terminology

Comment

Originally posted by Larry The Chevron Guy View Post
                            I was satisfied with the episode. I think the problem that some people have with SGU is that it's episodic and everything doesn't get tied up at the end of each hour.
                            Wrong terminology. It's serialized, as opposed to episodic.

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                              Wrong terminology. It's serialized, as opposed to episodic.
                              Thank you. I had a feeling I had that wrong.

Comment

Here is a good review that explains nicely how I feel about this episode (and show so far): http://colonelez.blog.co.uk/2009/10/...iewed-7195091/

(No, I'm not the author).
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X