Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some may not like what has gone on in these first four episodes, but a lot has happened. And overall, I like what I have seen. I think things will pick up a little more once the ship is not trying to kill them.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
      Some may not like what has gone on in these first four episodes, but a lot has happened. And overall, I like what I have seen. I think things will pick up a little more once the ship is not trying to kill them.
      I agree, and also hope this is the case. In re-watching "Darkness", I have come to like it a lot more.

As I've mentioned before, I think a lot of my enjoyment from these episodes comes from noticing subtle, nuanced things. Also, I find that I enjoy things less when I watch them with people around me that keep distracting me (i.e. my roommates ).

I still stand by my statement that I'm still "waiting to be wowed", however
      Sig by Pandora's Box
      sigpic

Comment

I agree with TS. 4 episodes in and nothing interesting has happened yet. Almost 3 hours of air time and all that happened is that people got trapped on a space ship. I'm a big SG fan but this is getting kind of boring. Instead of looking forward to another episode I begin to think that it will be yet another episode with people keep yelling at each other and nothing else happens. So much friggin' drama and not enough scifi!

Come on already, let something happen indeed, or air at least 2 episodes per week.

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
          But all of this is avoiding the heart of the issue we're getting at. If NASA can successfully perform maneuvers similar to the one the Destiny employed, why do you think that the Destiny would somehow have a problem with this?
          For one sir, If the armor of the Destiny is ablative then it's shedding it's hull for every maneuver like this.. 2nd sir that's why I brought up the velocity. The space shuttle experiences 1700 degrees during reentry from orbital velocity. We're talking passing through the atmosphere at a fraction of light.

And, sir, haven't we discovered that the ships shield integrity is not 100%. Thus the leaking air....Doesn't this work like atlantis? How did they survive?!

Comment

I don't think the shields on Destiny works the same way as the shields on Atlantis. The Atlantis shields kept the air in because Atlantis was a city first, a ship second. With the Destiny, it's the other way around, so I wouldn't be surprised if the shields only protected the ship, but let the hull contain the actual air.

Thus, if the hull is punctured, then the only thing holding back the air would be forcefields, and it's those that are malfunctioning. The actual ship shields could most definiately be strong enough to protect the ship against the atmosphere. We also don't know what the density of the atmosphere is so we don't know what the forces against the shields were. There are so many unknowns here.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
              For one sir, If the armor of the Destiny is ablative then it's shedding it's hull for every maneuver like this.. 2nd sir that's why I brought up the velocity. The space shuttle experiences 1700 degrees during reentry from orbital velocity. We're talking passing through the atmosphere at a fraction of light.

And, sir, haven't we discovered that the ships shield integrity is not 100%. Thus the leaking air....Doesn't this work like atlantis? How did they survive?!
              And you keep saying "fraction of light" as if it's a set quantity. That could be 1/10th, 1/1000th, 1/10000th, 1/100000th, etc... What fraction of light speed was the Destiny travelling at in this maneuver? Furthermore, how do you know this?

Were the Destiny's shields up (dialogue confirms they were)? If so, at what percentage were they running? What's the maximum percentage, and what (relativistically) is the Destiny capable of withstanding at full-powered shields?

If you're not understanding the purpose of me posing so many questions, it's that we know so very little about the circumstances of the Destiny's aerobraking maneuver.

You're making a plethora of assumptions, and until you can start verifying them with actual dialogue from the episode...I'm going to find it incredibly difficult to take your assertions seriously.

[EDIT] Wanted to add that PG really summed it up quite nicely:

Originally posted by PG15
              There are so many unknowns here.
              Last edited by Coronach; 18 October 2009, 07:36 PM.
              Sig by Pandora's Box
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                I don't think the shields on Destiny works the same way as the shields on Atlantis. The Atlantis shields kept the air in because Atlantis was a city first, a ship second. With the Destiny, it's the other way around, so I wouldn't be surprised if the shields only protected the ship, but let the hull contain the actual air.

Thus, if the hull is punctured, then the only thing holding back the air would be forcefields, and it's those that are malfunctioning. The actual ship shields could most definiately be strong enough to protect the ship against the atmosphere. We also don't know what the density of the atmosphere is so we don't know what the forces against the shields were. There are so many unknowns here.
                Respectfully sir, we know that that ship was moving very very fast to be in the other solar system and then went from black sky to visual range and looming visual range in a very short amount of time and then contact with the atmopshere in six minutes.

Also note, sir, No shield effect at all. No mention of rising temperature and sir.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus7 View Post
                  I agree episode 4 of Universe was pathetically boring.
                  Actually I disagree! I loved the change of pace and the issues brought up. I also loved the fact that they're starting to get a routine set aboard the ship so that people have their jobs to do and can stop being restless!

Stuff is happening, just at a rate that is logical rather than miraculous and unbelievable.

Originally posted by pegasus7 View Post
                  The keno video entries are so LAME and cheap I can not stand it.
                  Did you like the episode SGA S01E17? Letters from Pegasus was a great chance for people who thought they were gonna die, to leave something behind.

Eli was smart to start documenting part of their journey as it will help them down the track!

I fell asleep half way through 75% of developing an attention span for this list.
                  I hope that you find something in SGU as it's definitely not boring from my perspective!

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                  100% agree!

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                  Were the Destiny's shields up (dialogue confirms they were)? If so, at what percentage were they running? What's the maximum percentage, and what (relativistically) is the Destiny capable of withstanding at full-powered shields?
                  Plus we have to consider the fact that their shield array might be controllable, so Destiny could have sacrificed power to part of the shield array to boulster shields that were actually doing the work during the relatively short period of contact!

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
                  : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

Originally posted by NiX View Post
                    I agree with TS. 4 episodes in and nothing interesting has happened yet. Almost 3 hours of air time and all that happened is that people got trapped on a space ship. I'm a big SG fan but this is getting kind of boring. Instead of looking forward to another episode I begin to think that it will be yet another episode with people keep yelling at each other and nothing else happens. So much friggin' drama and not enough scifi!

Come on already, let something happen indeed, or air at least 2 episodes per week.
                    It's funny because I'm right the opposite...it's been two days since I saw SGU and I re-listened to it today and I can't WAIT for the next episode. I watch four TV shows regularly: House, Heroes, Smallville, and SGU. I find myself waiting for SGU the most (followed by House...love House for the same reason I love Rush...they know they're jerks and they don't really care).

I can't wait to find out what happens to them. That's the pull of this series...what's next? SG1 and SGA both had background stories which all added tiny pieces to the puzzle, but they also had the main story to keep folks with short attention spans happy. Me, I was always more interested in the overarching story...always trying to figure out what was going on.

But, I guess that's why you don't like SGU...you don't have to patience to wait and see. You want instant gratification...something you don't get very many places...

Comment

Respectfully sir, we know that that ship was moving very very fast to be in the other solar system and then went from black sky to visual range and looming visual range in a very short amount of time and then contact with the atmopshere in six minutes.
                      It went from this to this in 10 hours. Let's stick to facts here.

It seems it was already pretty close upon coming out of FTL. I don't think it was going that fast, relatively speaking.

Also note, sir, No shield effect at all. No mention of rising temperature and sir.
                      To be honest, the sequence was so quick that I don't think they would've had time to call out the temperature. One way or another, they were going to go through it so telling everyone how hot the hull was was really not that important.

The fact that we haven't seen any shield effects, even when when it was active, leads me to believe that it's invisible.

Comment

Saquist, please, respectfully, stop with the massive assumptions. I really hate having to go this nit-picky into things, but you're either making things up or assuming that your assumptions are correct.

First off, when the Destiny first leaves FTL the following pictures are what is shown:

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/dis...um=895&pos=563

and the sequence ends at:

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/dis...um=895&pos=570

Notice that at this point, we have absolutely no notion of where the Destiny is relative to the gas giant and its star nor do we know how fast it's going. We only see it come out of FTL, not where it is headed.

A little while later, we have this scene:

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/dis...um=895&pos=789

This clarifies where the Destiny is at that point and suggests it's not really that far away.

Yes, we can probably deduce that the Destiny is traveling decently fast. However, you somehow conclude that a certain amount of time passes in real life (six minutes?), so therefore that same amount of time passes in context of the episode itself? This is not the case.

For example, the amount of time between Rush faints and when he wakes back up is revealed to be 10 hours, but that's a mere span of minutes for us watching the episode.

You say it reached the planet in a "very short amount of time", but you neglect to take into account the fact that hours pass within the episode itself.

Furthermore, it doesn't matter that we can't make out a shield effect. It was confirmed in the episode that the shields were still up. From the GW "Darkness" transcript:

VOLKER: There's still some power and the shields are still working to some degree but ...

BRODY: ... again, that's to keep us alive.
                        Now please, can you just admit that you are making assumptions and (recently) neglecting to take into account actual episode dialogue?

This is a really futile argument.

[EDIT] Seems PG and I had similar ideas
                        Sig by Pandora's Box
                        sigpic

Comment

Those Kino scenes gave me a feel of a reality show like Big Brother - people talking to the camera. It gives some character insight, but nothing they said really made me interested, except for the woman who spoke of the solar system they reached, which IMO was a great way of introducing a new turn of events. The rest did not come across to me as "sincere".

Comment

Why must everything in the script inevitably explode to be counted as happening? (Yes, I'm exaggerating but semiquoting Teal'c = funny)
                            To me, the entire episode consisted of events, and I enjoyed watching them. Some more than others, but it was never boring.
                            I also liked the show Alias which (more in earlier seasons) had a mixture of everyday life type scenes and intense action.
                            I don't think I'd care about the characters much if they spent the whole episode "teching the tech". (No I didn't invent that phrase )

Lisa Park talking about the planets and earthquakes was one of the best Kino bits. Brody going on about knowing he would die in space was a laugh.
                            "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                            Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                            Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                            Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                            Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Hmm... the thread title begs that 'Please let something happen!!!!'
                              Can that something involve a bunch of overly critical fans not just giving the show a chance for a bit?
                              A quote by Yahtzee Croshaw (God help me for quoting him) "Fans are clingy, annoying idiots who will never be satisfied with anything you do." should not have to apply here!
                              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Ownage by Coronach = Green for Coronach.
                                I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Working...
                                X