X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i haven't read all the posts here yet..

but i can say this:

one of the things that i like about SGU - is the continuing storyarc... that the show is not just a semblance of one-hour situational episodes where everything is resolved between the credits... it worked for SG-1... got abused in SGA.....

and i'm really glad they decided to take story structure in a different direction with SGU
    Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
    Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
    Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
    Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
      [EDIT] Re: conversation with Saquist.

I figured out what you meant by "fireball". I thought you meant that the ship should have been destroyed in a fireball, which I do not agree with. However, I do agree that there (probably) should have been some sort of glow due to the ship entering the atmosphere of the gas giant. Sorry for the confusion.

I will say, though, that a lot of what you (Saquist) are saying rests upon assumptions that we simply do not know given the amount of information we obtained from the episode.

In any case, I think we at least agree that it's not necessarily the case that the ship should have been destroyed during the slingshot maneuver?
      Correction: I meant 450 km not miles

Yes, sir I should have said, Aerobraking.
      I am making assumptions, yes, this was my impression of the episode considering the smallest likely solar system.

I know the Asgard ship was traveling considerably less that light...orbital velocity and the shields didn't save the ship on which the replicators had invaded..

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
        Correction: I meant 450 km not miles

Yes, sir I should have said, Aerobraking.
        I am making assumptions, yes, this was my impression of the episode considering the smallest likely solar system.

I know the Asgard ship was traveling considerably less that light...orbital velocity and the shields didn't save the ship on which the replicators had invaded..
        I see. Thanks for the clarification

And with the example of the Asgard ship, did it have its shields up at the time? I don't remember the episode well, but could you possibly link me to something that clarifies this?

If it is the case that the shields are up, however, it could very easily be explained by saying that we have no idea what level of technology the Destiny is at in comparison to where the Asgard were. I think it's important to remember that just because the Asgard were quite advanced in present time, it doesn't mean the Ancients weren't even more advanced millions of years ago.

That is, unless I'm missing something about this?
        Sig by Pandora's Box
        sigpic

Comment

And with the example of the Asgard ship, did it have its shields up at the time? I don't remember the episode well, but could you possibly link me to something that clarifies this?

If it is the case that the shields are up, however, it could very easily be explained by saying that we have no idea what level of technology the Destiny is at in comparison to where the Asgard were. I think it's important to remember that just because the Asgard were quite advanced in present time, it doesn't mean the Ancients weren't even more advanced millions of years ago.

Look at the design of the ship, the Destiny is not a very advanced piece of technology.

Comment

um.... a lot happened in Darkness. A lot.

The same goes for Air part 1, part 2, and part 3
            Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
            ---
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantisRules!!! View Post
              um.... a lot happened in Darkness. A lot.

The same goes for Air part 1, part 2, and part 3
              Yes, alot....
              of nothing.

but sir...current day Asgard shields are clearly capable of with standing Atlantis and Ancient drone tech. I will review the episode non the less.

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
              Look at the design of the ship, the Destiny is not a very advanced piece of technology.
              Indeed a hundred thousand years old as oppose to 2,000 year old atlantis

Comment

Yes, alot....
                of nothing.

They've explored a planet
                Almost died
                Fixed the ventilation
                Developed 75% of the characters
                Explored/explained the ship
                Almost died again
                finished off with a nice suspenseful ending

in 4 eps.

Just because it doesn't go as fast as SG-1 or SGA doesn't mean nothing's happening. It's a slightly slower-paced show. Get used to it.
                Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
                ---
                sigpic

Comment

Almost died
                  Fixed the ventilation
                  Almost died again

in 4 eps.

Just because it doesn't go as fast as SG-1 or SGA doesn't mean nothing's happening. It's a slightly slower-paced show. Get used to it.
                  you are missing a lot...shame on you Vern

Comment

Indeed a hundred thousand years old as oppose to 2,000 year old atlantis

First scene, first episode of Stargate Atlantis
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

but sir...current day Asgard shields are clearly capable of with standing Atlantis and Ancient drone tech. I will review the episode non the less.
                      Is the Asgard ship you're referring to the Beliskner? If so, you'll remember that it was destroyed because it was an uncontrolled entry into the atmosphere, and SG1 detonated a bomb outside the ship to cause this.

This is quite different than what the Destiny was doing (i.e. a controlled entry with no bomb detonation).

Unless you mean some other Asgard ship that was destroyed entering the atmosphere?
                      Sig by Pandora's Box
                      sigpic

Comment

I guess it's just because it's Season 1. Even SG1/SGA were slow to pick up.

The additional condition here is, the show is based upon the ship and all that happens within it. Therefore it's going to be a slow rise until they can establish control.

At that point they'll be able to guide where and what things happen for their immediate future, but until then we're going to be dealing with ship problems and resource for the coming episodes.

I think people should brace themselves for this fact!

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
                        : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

Almost died
                          Fixed the ventilation
                          Almost died again
                          I fell asleep half way through 75% of developing an attention span for this list.

whoops...
                          sorry, sir.

Comment

I agree episode 4 of Universe was pathetically boring.
                            The keno video entries are so LAME and cheap I can not stand it.
                            The pace is so slow and the repetition of issues insulting, the drama soap opera scenes are not genuine enough to be appreciated or acted well enough.
                            With the old series you got a great episode every now and then but I am starting to wonder is this ever going to happen, as I will eventually give up watching.

Comment

Is the Asgard ship you're referring to the Beliskner? If so, you'll remember that it was destroyed because it was an uncontrolled entry into the atmosphere, and SG1 detonated a bomb outside the ship to cause this.

This is quite different than what the Destiny was doing (i.e. a controlled entry with no bomb detonation).

Unless you mean some other Asgard ship that was destroyed entering the atmosphere?
                              I guarantee you sir, Aerobraking is not a control reentry. It's taking the full brunt of the outer atmosphere at interplanetary speed. It is far worse than reentry which is very angle specific. You need a different structural rigidity than for reentry. You also need thrust to lift your ship out of the atmosphere unless you want to land so it can't be unpowered.

Comment

I guarantee you sir, Aerobraking is not a control reentry. It's taking the full brunt of the outer atmosphere at interplanetary speed. It is far worse than reentry which is very angle specific. You need a different structural rigidity than for reentry. You also need thrust to lift your ship out of the atmosphere unless you want to land so it can't be unpowered.
                                But all of this is avoiding the heart of the issue we're getting at. If NASA can successfully perform maneuvers similar to the one the Destiny employed, why do you think that the Destiny would somehow have a problem with this?

As it stands, we don't have shield technology in the real world...and the Destiny (presumably) has shield technology we could only dream of.

In a slightly unrelated, the Wikipedia entry on "Aerobraking" already has this entry:

In the fourth episode of Stargate Universe, the Ancient ship Destiny suffers an almost complete loss of power and must use aerobraking to change course. The episode ends in a cliffhanger with Destiny headed directly toward a sun.
                                It made me laugh to see this already added

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobraking
                                Sig by Pandora's Box
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X