This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
    You Americans are just too spoiled with your action shows where the pacing is often way too rushed. "Darkness" was perfectly paced and plot-driven. Just because there was no action doesn't mean it wasn't a good episode. Re-watch it right before watching the continuation (1.05 "Light") and you'll see that it's a very good and actually well-written episode.
    I can't speak for other Americans, but my attention span doesn't just include action. I was reading Star Trek novels at 8 years old, my fathers old Star Trek Novels. We didn't watch TV. I became an artist and reader because I had nothing to do.

I read Xenocide...
    and if that isn't patience, then I don't know what is.

I learned that the old books with no action had far more story and intrigue and plot than any episode of SGU thus far. That's even considering that this is one SGU's best episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
      I can't speak for other Americans, but my attention span doesn't just include action. I was reading Star Trek novels at 8 years old, my fathers old Star Trek Novels. We didn't watch TV. I became an artist and reader because I had nothing to do.

I read Xenocide...
      and if that isn't patience, then I don't know what is.

I learned that the old books with no action had far more story and intrigue and plot than any episode of SGU thus far. That's even considering that this is one SGU's best episodes.
      I was addressed the multiple people (like the OP) who complained about the "slow" pacing and about how "nothing happened". Stuff did happen. We just didn't have any action sequences.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
        I was addressed the multiple people (like the OP) who complained about the "slow" pacing and about how "nothing happened". Stuff did happen. We just didn't have any action sequences.
        Which I appreciate. I'm the kind of person that fast forwards through the extended fight scenes in movies like The Matrix.

Comment

Well, they mean nothing in all general terms.
          Such as ...for a character driven show, a whole lot of nothing sure has happeneded.

The problem is the characters are introduced (barely properly) but their problems are getting the number treatment.

"Okay number 3" What's your problem...okay times up.
          "Number 4" What's your problem....I'm sorry 3 took to long times up....
          NEXT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshi442 View Post
            Which I appreciate. I'm the kind of person that fast forwards through the extended fight scenes in movies like The Matrix.
            I don't fast forward. I spend that time doing constructive things, such as popping popcorn or taking a bathroom break.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
              I have read this a few times throughout the thread. I am not bothered in the slightest by SGU not being an 'ep of the week' type show.

But I think I am still entitled to something actually happening each week.
              The first issue with your response is that you feel entitled to something from this show.

Secondly, they made this very clear from the beginning. This show is going to deal with a very large story arc and is going to focus on the characters. It's a character drama and was set up as such from day one. They said they are going to deal with the day to day lives of the crew of the Destiny, which is what they have done up until this point. I haven't liked every episode so far, but I think the show has progressed exactly like they said it would.

Comment

Originally posted by jrd231 View Post
                The first issue with your response is that you feel entitled to something from this show.

Secondly, they made this very clear from the beginning. This show is going to deal with a very large story arc and is going to focus on the characters. It's a character drama and was set up as such from day one. They said they are going to deal with the day to day lives of the crew of the Destiny, which is what they have done up until this point. I haven't liked every episode so far, but I think the show has progressed exactly like they said it would.
                two thumbs... way up...
                Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
                Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
                Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
                Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Yep the show has lived up to what the advertisers, producers, director and even the actors have said what the show will be about. The day to day lives of the crew of the Destiny as they face adversity after adversity. Do these and more importantly can these stories of the day in the lives of the stranded SG crew aboard Destiny connect with the Stargate francise fans and new viewers?

Polls will tell. My opinion is that it will not, but I sincerely hope to be proven wrong
                  "There's Never Enough Time"

Comment

Have you ever been with an elderly person that took two hours to tell you a 5 minute story? Yeah we all have...Introducing SGU.

We're slowing this down ...way down...

Comment

Have you ever been with an elderly person that took two hours to tell you a 5 minute story? Yeah we all have...Introducing SGU.

Once again, this is what you should have expected based on the information that was given before the show even aired.

They made it clear how this show would go, people watched anyway, then complain when it isn't different.

If a box advertises the shoes inside are red, and you buy the shoes, you can't complain that the shoes aren't blue.

Same thing there. They made it clear what this show would focus on and how it would play out.

If you don't like the pace of the show, I recommend you don't watch.
                      Last edited by jrd231; 20 October 2009, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Thank you
                        If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
                        Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

Some elderly people may be slow but they are cunning storytellers. I've worked with elderly people and I was never this bored. That's not exactly the pace or the being character driven that bothers me...it's a missmatch(sp) of puzzle pieces that together don't quite form an whole image. The total equals the sum of the parts and adds up to very little.
                          sigpic
                          Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
                          Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                            Darkness was one of my all-time favorite episodes in the entire franchise. I absolutely loved it. I can understand those wanting the plot to advance quicker, but I loved just about every second of this episode. The only thing I disliked was Young on Earth with his wife. Other than that, brilliant.
                            But, to each their own.
                            Exactly!!!!

As for Young's wife. I wanted to smack her.
                            MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
                            MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
                            POLARIS TORONTO 2007
                            CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
                            GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
                            VCON VANCOUVER 2010
                            FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

Originally posted by DavidR View Post
                              but are especially not good in science fiction stories whose fans expect an action story, rather than character drama story.

SGU is using a story format that simply does not work in a Science Fiction venue. Some may say BSG, Heros, and any # of shows that are character driven work for science fiction, but BSG was the exception because it had lots of action. The character stories were part of the action story, not the story.
                              I don't remember a lot of running around with guns and big explosions in George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty Four.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty_Four

As literary science fiction, 1984 is a classic novel of the social science fiction sub-genre

I don't remember much exiting action in Robert A Heinlein's 'I Will Fear No Evil' either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Will_Fear_No_Evil

Ancient billionaire Johann Sebastian Bach Smith is dying, and wants to have his brain transplanted into a new body. Smith advertises an offer of a million dollars for the donation of a body from a brain-dead patient. Coincidentally, his beautiful young female secretary, Eunice Branca, is murdered, so her body is used, since Smith never thought to place any restriction on the sex of the donor. He is rechristened Joan Eunice Smith.

For reasons never made clear, Eunice's personality continues to co-inhabit the body. (Whether Eunice's personality is real or a figment of Johann's imagination is addressed but never fully resolved in the novel.)

Much of the book is devoted to a description of Joan's exploration of emotional and sexual (but mainly sexual) love from the point of view of her new gender.

The book deals with many of Heinlein's favorite themes, such as radical individualism, immortality, free love, and the relationship between sexual and emotional love.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning Ducj View Post
                                Thank you
                                You're Welcome!

Once again, this is what you should have expected based on the information that was given before the show even aired.

They made it clear how this show would go, people watched anyway, then complain when it isn't different.

If a box advertises the shoes inside are red, and you buy the shoes, you can't complain that the shoes aren't blue.

Same thing there. They made it clear what this show would focus on and how it would play out.

If you don't like the pace of the show, I recommend you don't watch.
                                I should have expected No PLOT?!
                                I should have expected Character Recitals and No Character Development in the first 4 episode REALLY? They said that?! That doesn't sound like good advertisement.

For what it's worth...Your recommendations are noted.

Comment

Working...
                                X