Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanting something to happen is a legitimate complaint. I believe it would be prudent to wait for the show to pick up, but if it doesn't after a reasonable period of waiting, then it may get very boring. And if it's boring then it will fail.
    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

This was the best episode so far IMHO.
      sigpic
      FOX Network

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
        Wanting something to happen is a legitimate complaint. I believe it would be prudent to wait for the show to pick up, but if it doesn't after a reasonable period of waiting, then it may get very boring. And if it's boring then it will fail.
        Fair enuf, then I suggest the period to test would be the end of the season!

So much stuff to cover, this is the only fair assessment period!

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
        : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
          Darkness was one of my all-time favorite episodes in the entire franchise. I absolutely loved it. I can understand those wanting the plot to advance quicker, but I loved just about every second of this episode. The only thing I disliked was Young on Earth with his wife. Other than that, brilliant.
          But, to each their own.
          Yep I felt the same.
          I find that most of the time I can only watch something through once when it's stargate. But I found myself watching darkness a few times this weekend. I enjoyed it more than I have a ton of episodes. I think the last episode I watched more than once was The Shrine.

Sometimes an episode stands out for, and I thought this one did. It had character interaction, development of a ton of people, kiddy SG humor and it turned a corner literally for the people on the ship. All three episodes of Air didn't hook me in as much as darkness did to find out what happens next week. I really think it's a good start overall.

If you want space battles and enemies galore I hear BSG has cylons. Just cause SGU doesn't have a default arch nemesis doesn't mean there won't be something to watch, now or later.

Comment

For those of you that love it I have just one question. After 4 episodes what useful info have they learned about the ship? Rush has been studying the ship for 4 episodes. So what USEFUL information have they discovered?

Comment

actually you're wrong. they have been there for two or 3 days, half of that being spent on another planet, part of that just to get lifesupport fixed, and annother part to find out why power is failing.

also, even now my "i want to see" list is big, and it will take a few SEASONS to get everything answered.

this isnt SGA were the plot is resolved in 1 episode.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post

I like this about the show the most. I hate when shows go to great lengths to tidy up every episode to the point where I am going WTF at the tv.

Comment

Originally posted by StarFighter View Post
                  For those of you that love it I have just one question. After 4 episodes what useful info have they learned about the ship? Rush has been studying the ship for 4 episodes. So what USEFUL information have they discovered?
                  Yeah but those 4 episodes have spanned only a few days. That's not a lot of time to figure everything out. But, just off the top of my head, they've figured out...

-who built destiny and approximately when
                  -that destiny was launched from earth
                  -that the destiny is following unmanned "seeder" ships that have seeded the universe with stargates and are (or at least were) relaying info back to Destiny
                  -that destiny is traveling faster than light, but out of hyperspace
                  -that the destiny gate has limited range (have we actually learned that yet?)
                  -that destiny has some level of AI
                  -that destiny is on an automated course, but that it may change course based on the conditions of the ship
                  -that destiny has charging stations that can be used to recharge earth-based battery technology
                  -that when destiny drops within range of a stargate, the crew has a certain amount of time to explore and then return before destiny jumps away
                  -that someone can delay the destiny's "jump" by being only partway through the even horizon
                  -that destiny includes "kinos" to scout potential planets through the gate and handheld DHD dialing devices

I'm sure we'll learn more, but I think we've learned quite a bit about destiny.
                  sigpic
                  FOX Network

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                    And that is why this show will fail. It is a complete turn around from what the majority of existing fans like. Instead of having self contained episodes they use whole episodes just to slowly set up the conflict of the next episode. That pacing is too slow for most people.

In fact I will even predict how the next episode goes. Ready? They all think they are going to die and at the very last minute they live.

The writing is the same as the other two shows. It is the pacing that is slower.

Comment

And that is why this show will fail.
                      Fail how?

It is a complete turn around from what the majority of existing fans like.
                      From what I've read, most of the existing fans like SGU so far.

Instead of having self contained episodes they use whole episodes just to slowly set up the conflict of the next episode. That pacing is too slow for most people.
                      Plenty of shows have been successful with this type of approach. Plus, once things are set up, the episodes in these types of shows often become more intense than anything you can get from an episodic show.
                      Last edited by Pepermint Jaffa; 18 October 2009, 10:50 PM.
                      sigpic
                      FOX Network

Comment

And that is why this show will fail. It is a complete turn around from what the majority of existing fans like. Instead of having self contained episodes they use whole episodes just to slowly set up the conflict of the next episode. That pacing is too slow for most people.

In fact I will even predict how the next episode goes. Ready? They all think they are going to die and at the very last minute they live.

The writing is the same as the other two shows. It is the pacing that is slower.
                        Please don't presume to speak for me or anyone else but yourself. Broad generalizations of what fans like and only real fans enjoy really don't get you any points.

Comment

Universe fails to please some fans on an individual basis because it is not what those individuals like. Universe pleases some fans on an individual basis because it is what those individuals like.
                          /thread.

Actually...
                          <Object name here> fails to please some <subject names> on an individual basis because it is not what those <subjects> like. <Object name here> pleases some <subject names> on an individual basis because it is what those <subjects> like.
                          /internets
                          /world, even.
                          "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                          Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                          Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                          Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                          Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Last I checked, pacing is part of writing.

Comment

This episode was about as entertaining as paint dry!!! I kept waiting for something to happen and then the credits started rolling!!! The only thing that I liked about this episode was Lt James and her nice boobies!!! This episode reeked of battle star crapolla!!! The ratings for the show on gateworld for outstanding slipped and its no mystery why. I am a pretty hard core fan, I have defended SG1 and Atlantis and bought both SG1 and Atlantis dvds and movies, BUT I WILL NOT be buying the Universe dvds. There was nothing in this episode worth rewatching.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_GATE_HEAD View Post
                                This episode was about as entertaining as paint dry!!! I kept waiting for something to happen and then the credits started rolling!!! ...
                                I am a pretty hard core fan, I have defended SG1 and Atlantis and bought both SG1 and Atlantis dvds and movies, BUT I WILL NOT be buying the Universe dvds. There was nothing in this episode worth rewatching.
                                That's okay. I'll buy two copies to make up for it.
                                "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                                Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                                Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                                Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                                Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Working...
                                X