The Humour! She's back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amconway View Post
    She was good, and I hope we see her character more. A number of the kino scenes made me want to see more of those folks.
    Completely agree. I thought some of them were lackluster and repetitive(I don't wanna die out here), but others were quite funny and made me want to see more of them.
    Volker was brilliant.
    I also liked Riley's. There was an underlying sadness to it, especially with the "tomorrow's my birthday" part, but it was better done than, say, Lt. James or that bald Sargent.
    Oh, one thing I would have really liked was if, with the guy with the dating service video(quite funny), the ending was different. Like, he says that whole "I always knew I'll die in space" bit and then Eli ended with an "Oooookay, that was cheery". It sounds a bit cheesy, but seeing as Eli already intervened a few times with the "cut" bit and the snickering at his age, I think it would have fit the overall feel of that particular "confession"...
    Last edited by reddevil18; 17 October 2009, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
      That made me chuckle and it was just a written note.
      Yup, me too. Plus, the "crutch" was gun lol

Comment

She was good, and I hope we see her character more. A number of the kino scenes made me want to see more of those folks.
        She reminds me of the scientist in SG1/Atlantis who kept on having the hiccups whenever she got nervous. Really miss that character.

Comment

Completely agree. I thought some of them were lackluster and repetitive(I don't wanna die out here), but others were quite funny and made me want to see more of them.
          Volker was brilliant.
          I also liked Riley's. There was an underlying sadness to it, especially with the "tomorrow's my birthday" part, but it was better done than, say, Lt. James or that bald Sargent.
          Oh, one thing I would have really liked was if, with the guy with the dating service video(quite funny), the ending was different. Like, he says that whole "I always knew I'll die in space" bit and then Eli ended with an "Oooookay, that was cheery". It sounds a bit cheesy, but seeing as Eli already intervened a few times with the "cut" bit and the snickering at his age, I think it would have fit the overall feel of that particular "confession"...
          I like your ending. The end ot the scene was a bit to OTP to be genuinely sad, so it kind of needed something there. Agreed about Riley and Volker.

They seem to be separated in main characters from the secondary ones in terms of keeping the main ones entirely dramatic, and only letting us see some quirky humor in the secondary characters--except for Eli, of course. I think that might be a mistake. In lots of ways, I'm liking the secondary characters more at this point.
          Last edited by amconway; 17 October 2009, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Landers View Post
            Potty humor at the expense of another isn't funny to a lot of people.
            That's true of every type of humor.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
              That's true of every type of humor.
              But especially 'potty humour'.
              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
                I think this episode pretty much throws away the assumption that SGU will lose the humour that Stargate had always been known for.

I'm really loving the secondary cast so far. Darkness was a great introduction for them all, and none of them disappointed.
                I absolutely agree, I love the mini Jack and Daniel, Sheppard and McKay shows within Stargate.

I also loved the scene where they're having the group meeting and talking about the shower.

Chloe: "He's right, you're worse than he is"
                Young: "Wow you can tell them apart?"

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                "Adam Brody...is my name."
                Eli: "Oh, you're 40 something"
                Brody: "36..."
                Eli: "Ok, [laugh], got that now, we'll fix that in editing"

LOL!

Originally posted by Lord Kira View Post
                I found it hilarious how Rush was always yelling at that one guy.
                Man I thought Rush was gonna lose it! The way he man handled Riley I thought Volker was dead!

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                Volker, Riley, and Park were great! Volker's Kino segment, especially where he started digressing on classical music composers and not quite sure where to stop was hilarious!
                Lol, he's no Mozart. Not that I think he's a Mozart. hehehehe

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                good, they finally decided to use KINO for something usefull I loved that scene with James
                Dood I think they're gonna have a few more wrong turns before the show is thru!

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                Speaking of Kino usage, Vanessa James' reaction to Eli & Riley spying on her with a Kino was priceless: "I can and will kick your ass!" No shortage of humor this week.
                Hehehe, didn't Young say, we'll get to that later? Like Young's fully ok with James beating those two up? hehehehehe funny as!

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
                : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

well we do not know if they were spying.

i like how the innocent eli who mostly doesnt have to do much is suddenly so...important. people see him as the only reliable and normal guy in the "group" of important people.

and how two mature scientists had done nothing, while Eli had already sent out a kino to the unreachable places and had been working on the shuttle.

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana Jackson View Post
                    There was just about no humor that was "stargate-esque" in this episode. Yes, there were some humorous situations, but it was simply not the name type of light humor that we'd typically get with the other two shows. The episode was still mostly serious.
                    I think this shows my point about the humour, it was darker a little more grim. Of course I think it fits the situation far better that in a dangerous situation the humour who be far darker and not light banter. I think in many cases it has do do with what type of humour you like, be that lighter American humour or darker, more grim European humour.

Comment

I don't know about darker or lighter humor (though Young's sense of humor is clearly more cynical than most), but I think SGU's humor is more character based; in that, it's very subtle. In order to find the funny you must be able to 1). notice the tiny voice inflections and facial expressions and 2). find those things funny. Heh.

This is the kind of stuff that, when you see on paper, you'd have no idea why they're funny. They are not out and out jokes, and thus seem much more natural IMHO; they're just how the characters act; that's just how they talk; they are not actual jokes with punchlines.

I personally find these subtle things very funny (and this was true back in the SG1/SGA days as well; it's the small details that I laughed at. Big jokes, like "in the middle of my BACKSWING!!" didn't really impact me that much). The line deliveries of particularly Haig Sutherland (Riley), David Blue, and Louis Ferreira had me cracking up all through the episode. I.e. the "Go. Help. NOW." by Young right after the "spy on Lt. James" incident had me chuckling a lot; I loved the way Louis F delivered that line.

Since this episode was chock full of this stuff, I had a very fun time watching it.

Comment

There was alot of gallows humor and backhanded comments which worked in the episode. The humor flowed much better than in Atlantis where they fell flat most of the time. Young is probably the best written character wise right now and the actor executes it brilliantly.

Comment

no one seems to have mentioned eli's line about being "sure there'll be OTHER gas giants", whilst chloe is acting like her dog just died............... oh wait!
                          sigpic
                          EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                          -Liberty Prime

Comment

True, there was nothing even close to the humorous banter between Jack and Daniel, but I was immensely grateful to be able to crack a smile. And some of the kino scenes were close. The musicians thing was pretty darn funny.
                            I hope there's nothing akin to that in this series. I know I'm probably far in the minority, but I never liked O'Neill. I watched SG1 in spite of him rather than because of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshi442 View Post
                              I hope there's nothing akin to that in this series. I know I'm probably far in the minority, but I never liked O'Neill. I watched SG1 in spite of him rather than because of him.
                              *gasp* Blasphemy!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshi442 View Post
                                HIS WAYS OUR ARE SLIGHTY DIFFERENT TO OURS! KILL HIM!

O’Neill and RDA are I think vital to part of the reason why Stargate has remained a success. It knows when to crack a smile and doesn’t take itself too seriously. It knows sometimes to be dark and dramatic but also realises perhaps that humour is more realistic, its part of our day to day lives even in the most dire situations and this makes it more real by preventing it becoming depressing and over the top(BSG) or po-faced and taking itself way too seriously(star trek).

I really liked Jack O’Neill and would argue that Universe is perhaps similar in style to Jacks original humour. He was very cynical, quite dark, he lightened up more as the series went on and others humour was different. Personally I enjoyed the sillier humour as well but I do appreciate this return to a darker humour.
                                Last edited by The Mighty 6 platoon; 18 October 2009, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X