Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, before I start I must say the following. I love startrek, stargate (both SG1 and SGA), didn't like battlestar... but love SGU.

The arguments seem to be that it is so slow, and the characters arnt as good... ect. but I dont see why people hate it over that. I have seen all episodes up-to and including "time" and personally, I like it. Sure at first I was a little skeptical but as the post "air" episodes were shown I started to realise just how good this stargate actually is.

I have always liked stargate for their ability to bring back old things, and build on their technology... and that is why I have always liked it so much! This is basically the same, but with completly different circumstances. Atlantis seemed like more of an SG1 supplement. The episodes were similar in vein and feel to SG1, and sometimes I even mistook the two, (when I first got my Portal Collection boxset and started re-watching, I thought I was missing episodes.. they were Atlantis ones). How long could this of honestly lasted until we reached a point there was nothing else to be learnt? No I do not belive that SG1 or SGA should have been cancelled, but it is true then another season following the same train as SG1 would have been a mistake.

SGU gives us old fans something to sink our teeth into, without alienating new viewers. I find it hard to believe many people watched atlantis BEFORE SG1, their storylines were too intermingling and it was hard to fully understand the scope of the anceints power without watching at least key episodes of SG1 as buildup. SGU is different, it is so seperate that new viewers can just up and watch, but old viewers will enjoy seeing the classic concepts built on. This is not a bad thing, new viewers of universe will most likely go back and re-watch SG1/SGA, bringing more overall viewers into the franchise, making it more likely a SG SOMETHING will come back (be it new SGA seasons, or SG1 movies [doubt it will ever have another season])

The story itself is darker, and more woven, however episodes like time show us that non story episodes are still likely. Earth contact is maintained, so discoveries will be still linked back to earth, the ship can be repaired and explored, allowing for numerous plot stories, control can be regained.. ect. Who knows where this will go. Chances are by the end they will not only be back home, but have a new-found knowledge of ancients and the outer universe.

Yes the chars are different, most of which are so out of place it is not funny.. but isnt that the point? Everyone in both SG1 and Alantis were 100% preped and prepaired for the task at hand.. military training, full degrees, hand picked... Their quirks came from the fact they were almost too perfect, arrogant, ect... these new unprepaired chars allow the writers to explore a whole different way of thinking. Desperate, scared, confused people who may one day become very qualified.

My main issue with the show is, they always talk about how medic-mc-medic is a medic not a doctor... why not just swap her with an actual doctor when complicated proceeder's are needed using the stones? why do they refuse to search the ancient crates for supplies? surely the ancients would have left tools and equipment needed to repair/survive on the ship.... it seems like only eli and his kinos seem to realise jsut how benificial snooping could be. Look at altantis, the second they gained power they forced their way to explore the city... why are these people acting any differently? I mean unlike atlantis they have unlimited power thanks to the sun regen. They found a couple of space suits, well find a way to start fixing the hull, repair the hull, take the strain off the shields... think of how much use the greenhouse room shown could have been to them if that giant hole was sealed.. it could be a greenhouse, or a hall of some kind..? sure you can expect much in the first season, but if this thing lasts 5 years (5 seasons) and they havent repaired the ship.. Iwould be highly dissapointed.

Chances are this show will only be "OMG WE HAVE TO SURVIVE " for the first season or two, then it will change entirely, most likely to "we need to get home" or similar... but until then, take it for what it's worth. A good, new take on stargate with unending promise for exploration and expansion.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
      Well at least someone is optimistic.
      I'll make that two if you don't mind.
      no means no, and so does pepper spray
      Sig by The Carpenter
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
        I'll make that two if you don't mind.
        I’ll make that three

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
          I’ll make that three
          Four. We need symmetry
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by captain simms View Post
            so yeah im bored, has anyones opinion on sg universe changed then? for example people who instantly hated it because atlantis was cancelled but are now interested with all the trailers and updates on the series and vice versa
            My impression of SGU has changed and not for the better. Before airing, based on BW/RCC's comments, I thought SGU would be a carefully crafted, tightly written series and that I would come away wishing that they had taken the same care with SGA. I thought that even if SGU didn't appeal to me that I would be able to appreciate the effort BW/RCC had put into the show.

However, now that I've seen the first 10 episodes, I have no idea what they were thinking because so little about SGU makes sense to me. When they said that SGU would feature real characters that we could relate to, I expected to see these "real" characters react in a real-world manner to incredible events. Instead, I saw highly trained military characters fall apart in just a few days (hours?). And, scientists who were either clueless or who were more concerned with their personal issues/motives than they were in trying to work together to get home.

I heard that they were going for a Lord of the Flies scenario, but I didn't find it believable that so many of these professionals would fall apart in such a short time. It's been years since I read the book or saw the movie(s), but I thought those boys were lost for longer than the few days (hours?) it took for the adult SGU characters to fall apart.

And, the stones use - yee gods, what can I say about the stones use.

Even if I could accept how blasé these "real" characters are about using other peoples' bodies for sex, getting drunk, etc., there's no way I can accept that the SGC would be so careless about letting these people run around with virtually no supervision while... eh... stoned.

All in all, I'm not impressed with BW/RCC's efforts so far and I'm concerned about whether they can turn this around in the 2nd half of the season. Even though I can't ever see SGU becoming must-see TV for me, I would hate to see it limp to end of its run and drag what's left of the franchise down with it.
            sigpic
            Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              Four. We need symmetry
              AAAND MY AXE...

....wait what?

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
                My impression of SGU has changed and not for the better. Before airing, based on BW/RCC's comments, I thought SGU would be a carefully crafted, tightly written series and that I would come away wishing that they had taken the same care with SGA. I thought that even if SGU didn't appeal to me that I would be able to appreciate the effort BW/RCC had put into the show.

However, now that I've seen the first 10 episodes, I have no idea what they were thinking because so little about SGU makes sense to me. When they said that SGU would feature real characters that we could relate to, I expected to see these "real" characters react in a real-world manner to incredible events. Instead, I saw highly trained military characters fall apart in just a few days (hours?). And, scientists who were either clueless or who were more concerned with their personal issues/motives than they were in trying to work together to get home.

I heard that they were going for a Lord of the Flies scenario, but I didn't find it believable that so many of these professionals would fall apart in such a short time. It's been years since I read the book or saw the movie(s), but I thought those boys were lost for longer than the few days (hours?) it took for the adult SGU characters to fall apart.

And, the stones use - yee gods, what can I say about the stones use.

Even if I could accept how blasé these "real" characters are about using other peoples' bodies for sex, getting drunk, etc., there's no way I can accept that the SGC would be so careless about letting these people run around with virtually no supervision while... eh... stoned.

All in all, I'm not impressed with BW/RCC's efforts so far and I'm concerned about whether they can turn this around in the 2nd half of the season. Even though I can't ever see SGU becoming must-see TV for me, I would hate to see it limp to end of its run and drag what's left of the franchise down with it.
                Great post .. I totally agree..
                sigpic

Comment

Absolutely! Couldn't agree more. I was stung by SGA being dropped and hoped that SGU would be an awesome addition to the franchise. How disappointing that so far nothing in this show appeals to me. Most of the characters annoy me, the stories are crap and there's so little excitement.

Compare SGA's first half-season finale, "The Storm" with "Judgement." In the former we had a storm that was about to destroy the city, a hostile team in control, hostages, etc., etc. At the end of "Judgement," we had Rush left on a planet...with a ship that we know he's going to get up and running...just like most of us figured when Destiny was racing towards the sun (a giant power source) that she or her crew would somehow be able to harness that energy. I mean, c'mon. I've been reading and watching sci-fi since I was five years old.

So, yes, I'm disappointed. Not angry. Disappointed.

Comment

Being a die hard fan of SG1 and SGA I decided to give SGU a chance. I've faithfully supported the franchise all these years and even though I was highly sceptical of SGU's premise from the get go, I figured I'd give the team a chance and so I miserbly have suffered through the first half of the season.

There's so much wrong with this show I barely know where to begin. Indeed, when I first learned that it would be about people trapped on a constantly moving ship and that the gate only stays active for 12 hours, big red flashing warning lights went off in my brain signalling "FAIL" immediately. Nonetheless, I attempted to stick with the show. It's like when you begin to first recognize a pain in your body, but think it might go away or get better on it's own. Only the show hasn't got better. There are so many logic holes and plot faults I'm surprised I haven't slit my wrist yet.

Here's a list of a few things that are driving me crazy, (bare in mind that I do realize SGU is suppose to be a departure from the old familiar format of SG1 and SGA, although I cannot understand why they would want to kick those wonderful shows to the curb)

1. Poor set lighting - Ok I understand the ship is old, and needs repair and maintenance, but does every scene have to be underlit to the point that you can't see what the hell is going on?

2. Characters - I'm I suppose to be entertained by people bickering and arguing and coming to blows every five seconds? Over every decisions that has to be made? Granted these are suppose to be people attempting to survive, But what did Stargate Command do? Put every social reject and sociopath on the same base? One or two malcontents would have sufficed. But no, we have a whole spaceship full. Label it "Ship of Damn Fools"

3. Not your "alien of the week"- No it's not. And that would be ok, IF - there was some intriquing points of interest in an episode- Instead of showing how Young's wife is cheating on him with Telford, why couldn't we see something about the ship or even explain a bit more why Young dislike Rush or vice versa. But no we have to see people using communication stones to go back to earth to see people we know nothing about and do things that I'm not entirely sure sensible people would be ok with if someone was borrowing their body- like sleeping with total strangers and getting into fights and getting drunk. I guess Stargate Command has decided to throw all morals out the window when it comes to using alien devices. Another thing that really bothers me is; what about the unknowing love ones on earth? We're suppose to accept the fact that just because some military personnel shows up at their door and explains to them that this total stranger they've never seen before is really their love one, they are going to accept that, invite them in, have sex with them, share all their personal feelings with them?!

4. Lost in the Space- between the writers' ears - A ancient ship is pre programmed to visit galaxies stopping for 12 hours at places where gates have previously been seeded. Why? What happened to the crew of this ship? Why only 12 hours? How is that suppose to benefit people on earth? Who cares? Wake me up when the Farscape reruns come back on.

5. Who are these idiots? Ok, I know that SG1 and SGA got criticism because Carter and McKay could figure out Alien Tech so fast. But usually the writers did a fairly good job of explaining why and how they came up with their knowledge. Where are the Carters, McKays, Jacksons on the Destiny? Oh wait we got Eli...I almost forgot..that nerdy kid who cracked a video game. Whew...I can breath easier now. Oh and Rush. Yeah Rush, that constant pain in the you know what that acts like he knows everything, yet had to have Eli - the nerdy kid - tell him how to crack the code for dialing the gate in the first place. Huh? Hello? Where's the logic in that? I don't blame Young for leaving him on that planet to die...in fact he should have left about half the ship on that planet to die. I want to be left on that planet so I can die. Rush does not get the Doctor Smith award. How did Young get to be in command anyway? I must have missed something. Oh I know...I fell asleep before the first commercial....zzzzzz

6. Basic story telling 101 - Who are the protagonists and who are the antagonists?...the line has been blurred so badly it's hard to tell. Only Scott and possibly Greer seem to be decent, likeable characters. I guess since you don't have the "alien of the week" you just have to make everyone a bad guy. Let's see what story comes to mind where all the major characters are incompetent, petty, bickering, children? Lord of the flies? Yeah....that's it...let's put that in a scifi setting....zzzzzzzz.

Stargate Galactica is what I call it. Too bad we don't get Cylons or Starbuck though.

I don't blame that guy for shooting himself. I'd shoot myself too if I was on board this ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky13 View Post

Compare SGA's first half-season finale, "The Storm" with "Judgement." In the former we had a storm that was about to destroy the city, a hostile team in control, hostages, etc., etc. At the end of "Judgement," we had Rush left on a planet...with a ship that we know he's going to get up and running...just like most of us figured when Destiny was racing towards the sun (a giant power source) that she or her crew would somehow be able to harness that energy. I mean, c'mon. I've been reading and watching sci-fi since I was five years old.

It's interesting you bring up the mid-season ep "The Storm". Over the weekend I watched that ep and "The Eye" and then rewatched "Justice". So have to agree that SGA was more powerful, dramaric and had a far more entertaining for my taste. Even the last scene of "The Storm" I think was more emotional than the last scene in "Justice"

I guess BW and RCC are not trying to top SG-1 and/or SGA. Because I don't think they could ever top some of those epic eps SG-1 and SGA produced over 15 Seasons. I think that is why the producers stress different and not better or bigger.

I am fine with the series for the most part, I would like more action, more alien encounters, more exploration, and less use of the stones. But overall the show is entertaining to me and I am liking a lot of the characters. Not as much as the past Stargate characters but they still have plenty of time to warm up to me. lol.
                      sigpic

Comment

Well for me the jury is still out in regards to SGU, I'm kinda on the fence at the moment. There have been some really good eps, but there's also been a couple of stinkers, plus there is a few things I am concerned about and I'm still hoping they don't go down the road I think they are going down. Well, fingers crossed that my fears don't come true
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mindgame View Post
                          2. Characters - I'm I suppose to be entertained by people bickering and arguing and coming to blows every five seconds? Over every decisions that has to be made? Granted these are suppose to be people attempting to survive, But what did Stargate Command do? Put every social reject and sociopath on the same base?[/B] One or two malcontents would have sufficed. But no, we have a whole spaceship full. Label it "Ship of Damn Fools"
                          Hey, wait, that really explains it all! :

O'Neill: "Oh crap these people are thick! I wish we could send them to some random galaxy far, far away!"

Carter: "Yeah, I know what you mean. But to the completely another problem: those (beep) (beep) (beep)s are going to attack that stupid base."

Teal'c: "Are you thinking what I am thinking?"

O'Neill: "Yeah... But, Carter, you will make the invitation cards. It will look like a dinner party gone wrong..."

(Nah, they are not that bad, that just came to mind.)

Originally posted by Mindgame View Post
                          6. Basic story telling 101 - Who are the protagonists and who are the antagonists?...the line has been blurred so badly it's hard to tell. Only Scott and possibly Greer seem to be decent, likeable characters. I guess since you don't have the "alien of the week" you just have to make everyone a bad guy. Let's see what story comes to mind where all the major characters are incompetent, petty, bickering, children? Lord of the flies? Yeah....that's it...let's put that in a scifi setting....zzzzzzzz.
                          I like when the line gets too blurred to tell. It is like that in real life too, and the bettle between good and evil has been done so many times it is good to have something else for a chance. It is wonderful, mind blowing even, when storytelling can make a viewer feel for bad guys and wish good for them and how it sometimes can show how the line between 'good ones' and 'bad ones' is all but clear. OZ, anyone?

But SGU is not OZ, far from it. It doesn't have to be, but I'd like to see some similar elements with the characters, and I am not speaking about insanity, drugs and murder. We already have them, but little of it is moving or interesting. I mean writing (and acting, but that is not the real issue) that shows characters' actions as others see them AND AT THE SAME TIME their mind and souls. How the insane murderer dream of playing with kittens in grass in the world everything is ok but he is still an insane murderer, how Sir Righteous lusts after his friends wife and it is eating him and the friendship alive but he can't help it, and how there is so much more in the soul of a dry, boring bureaucrat, who still makes the decisions that make other people (viewers included) want to strangle him.

SGU tries, but it just can't reach deep and at the same time far enough for reasons I can't pinpoint, not yet anyway. So it ends up like it is, and many see the characters boring, unlikable, stupid, incompetent children who should get banned from playgrounds till they learn how to behave.

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
                            yep and what I found interesting was the reactions of the planets visited to the stargate in their midst. some thought it only went one place, others didn't know what it did, still other places saw it as bringing only enemies. the stargate itself was the "star" of the show to me. I feel sgu lost that feeling...now it's a transporter to one world we have no expectation of seeing again. the possiblities of the gate network has been lost. all of course merely my opinion.
                            While I now see what you meant by it seeming like a transporter, the possbilities are not lost at all; in fact, it's expanded by a massive degree. They are on the other side of the Universe, after all; virtually anything can be on the other side of that gate.

Unlike SG1 and SGA (especially SGA), where the other side of the gate is often just another human-populated village by necessity of the overall mythology.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky13 View Post
                              [Compare SGA's first half-season finale, "The Storm" with "Judgement." In the former we had a storm that was about to destroy the city, a hostile team in control, hostages, etc., etc. At the end of "Judgement," we had Rush left on a planet...with a ship that we know he's going to get up and running...just like most of us figured when Destiny was racing towards the sun (a giant power source) that she or her crew would somehow be able to harness that energy. I mean, c'mon. I've been reading and watching sci-fi since I was five years old.

Well to be fair by that criteria we knew what was going to happen in The Storm. Yes we know Rush wll get back to the Destiny just like we knew Shep would save Atlantis. No TV show is without predictability. And nothing has beed said that the Destiny is heading to a sun
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                                It's interesting you bring up the mid-season ep "The Storm". Over the weekend I watched that ep and "The Eye" and then rewatched "Justice". So have to agree that SGA was more powerful, dramaric and had a far more entertaining for my taste. Even the last scene of "The Storm" I think was more emotional than the last scene in "Justice"

I guess BW and RCC are not trying to top SG-1 and/or SGA. Because I don't think they could ever top some of those epic eps SG-1 and SGA produced over 15 Seasons. I think that is why the producers stress different and not better or bigger.

I am fine with the series for the most part, I would like more action, more alien encounters, more exploration, and less use of the stones. But overall the show is entertaining to me and I am liking a lot of the characters. Not as much as the past Stargate characters but they still have plenty of time to warm up to me. lol.
                                welcome to the Dark Side brian, life gets easier once you embrace the dark!

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                Well to be fair by that criteria we knew what was going to happen in The Storm. Yes we know Rush wll get back to the Destiny just like we knew Shep would save Atlantis. No TV show is without predictability. And nothing has beed said that the Destiny is heading to a sun
                                they were referring to the earlier ep!

Comment

Working...
                                X