This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
    I am fine with the series for the most part, I would like more action, more alien encounters, more exploration, and less use of the stones. But overall the show is entertaining to me and I am liking a lot of the characters. Not as much as the past Stargate characters but they still have plenty of time to warm up to me. lol.
    My feelings exactly... except the part about 'plenty of time'. Yes, the series has secured a second season, but how much time does it really take to warm to characters? If people don't warm to them soon, there won't be a series beyond 2x20.
    sigpic
    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      While I now see what you meant by it seeming like a transporter, the possbilities are not lost at all; in fact, it's expanded by a massive degree. They are on the other side of the Universe, after all; virtually anything can be on the other side of that gate.

Unlike SG1 and SGA (especially SGA), where the other side of the gate is often just another human-populated village by necessity of the overall mythology.
      What about the hebridians? the Aschen? the Eurondans? the (list of any other technological civilization).

Remember that a Galaxy is Massive, and SG1 only explored the tip of the iceburg. sa,e with Atlantis and Pegasus. We don't NEED to go to the end of the universe to find interesting and strange things. if anything, by going to the end of the universe and only having one-three planets we can go to at a time, which is always changing, the stargate has become a transporter. plain and simple.

I recall episodes in SG1 where The Land Of Light, that planet from Broca Divide was mentioned again and again, some 4-5 times if i recall corrected over the course of the series. Chulak was visisted over, same with Dakara. SGU has lost the chance to revisit and explore places more than just a cursory glance for whatever macguffin they're looking for (be it food, lime, alien ships, man eating flying squids, or alien prophylactics.)

even star trek went back to the same planets on occasion. SGU is all new all the time.and since Destiny doesn't like being anywhere for more than a few hours, exploration doesn't seem to be the name of the game. it almost feels like a smash and grab and we're missing the best parts because we're too busy squabbling over the take at the hideour!
      Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
      Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
      Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
        My feelings exactly... except the part about 'plenty of time'. Yes, the series has secured a second season, but how much time does it really take to warm to characters? If people don't warm to them soon, there won't be a series beyond 2x20.
        I loathed Weir and Teyla for most of SGA. I loathed Ford every moment he was on screen. I've always hated Carter.

People seem to think that it's only the SGU characters who are unloveable. For me, at this stage, I like them far more than those I've listed above.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
          I loathed Weir and Teyla for most of SGA. I loathed Ford every moment he was on screen. I've always hated Carter.

People seem to think that it's only the SGU characters who are unloveable. For me, at this stage, I like them far more than those I've listed above.
          It doesn't necessarily mean we have to love characters, as long as they make us feel something. It is much better than greyness of SGU I experience.

I hate Chloe, and I wish she dies, sooner the better, but that makes me interested when she faces danger. Now I am watching second season of SoA, and I just can't stand those Nazi-- *coughs* but that just adds a new layer to the show and makes me thrilled and comment on how much I can't stand them every time they make an appearance.

Without the ones to hate, is just doesn't hit like it should.

I don't think the actual problem is that they are hard to love because of what they are. I think they are just plain boring and irritating, like flies that try to eat MY cake. Few of them become true enemies, even fewer like friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
            What about the hebridians? the Aschen? the Eurondans? the (list of any other technological civilization).
            Out of 214 episodes?

And what about SGA? Note that I did emphasize it over SG1.

We don't NEED to go to the end of the universe to find interesting and strange things. if anything, by going to the end of the universe and only having one-three planets we can go to at a time, which is always changing, the stargate has become a transporter. plain and simple.
            I already noted that I can't argue against the transporter thing.

And while yes, we don't NEED to go to the end of the Universe to find strange things, it doesn't hurt either. It also means that there are far less constraints put on the environment, as there is no Goa'uld impact or Wraith impact that we have to worry about. It's a clean slate where anything could happen.

I recall episodes in SG1 where The Land Of Light, that planet from Broca Divide was mentioned again and again, some 4-5 times if i recall corrected over the course of the series. Chulak was visisted over, same with Dakara. SGU has lost the chance to revisit and explore places more than just a cursory glance for whatever macguffin they're looking for (be it food, lime, alien ships, man eating flying squids, or alien prophylactics.)
            Well, it's not like every time we visted those places we made a bold new discovery; we usually go there for plot reasons and to bring in the recurring character.

But there's nothing inherently better about always going to the same places. It's all about how it's handled.

I'm not sure what you expected, to be honest. We knew fairly early on that Destiny would be always travelling onwards.

even star trek went back to the same planets on occasion. SGU is all new all the time.and since Destiny doesn't like being anywhere for more than a few hours, exploration doesn't seem to be the name of the game. it almost feels like a smash and grab and we're missing the best parts because we're too busy squabbling over the take at the hideour!
            I'm sorry, but this makes no sense. There is no real planet out there that this fictional crew is going to. They aren't missing the best part because it doesn't exist until it's written into the episode, at which point, it won't be missed because it's already written into it. You know what I mean?

Furthermore, time is relative. They can visit with one planet for a single episode that covers 12 hours, or they can visit one planet for 2 episodes that still cover 12 hours. Hell, they can spend an entire season at one planet if they wanted to, as long as they make the whole season last only 12 hours or something. This last one is unlikely, but not impossible. This is television, after all. And, of course, during this time they can make as many wonderful discoveries as they want.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
              I think those three ladies are brilliant and I'd quickly trade Wray for either one of them.
              As for being 'unlovable', the difference between SG-1/A and SGU is that the writers never intended us to find any of the characters unlovable or even unlikable, at least not all the time. It seems like the intent is to make us dislike Wray, Young, and Rush. Mckay, Woolsey, Caldwell and Ellis certainly had their moments of being annoying but they also had good qualities that vastly outweighed being occasionally not nice [maybe not Ellis, but still...]. Jack being trigger happy and Daniel being talk happy were certainly annoying in the beginning of SG-1, but those were simply parts of their personalities. Rush seems ineffectually manipulative 24/7 and Young's not even defined by his leadership as much as by his wife and arch-enemy a few billion lightyears away. Wray is more rounded: she's a loving person at home and a [bad word] on the job/on the ship. SG-1/A's charaters weren't written as 'realistically' as the SGU characters are, of course, but that's the point I suppose. Real people are stupid, annoying, and selfish.
              I'm surprised Kavanaugh isn't on SGU. He'd fit right in.
              Last edited by nx01a; 29 December 2009, 06:25 PM.
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I just don't have the same excitement as I once did when SGA and even when SG-1 was airing or between seasons.

They are spinning the ratings so much, it is sickening.
                sigpic

Comment

Easy now. You're usually one of the optimistic voices I like to read that help me feel a bit more positive about a show when it's getting a bit iffy for me.
                  There's really nothing to get excited about at this point beyond how Rush will get back on the ship. I'm hoping alien abduction and probing. I'm certainly not interested in how Young and his wifey and Telford resolve their situation or in Scott and his kid. I'm actually hoping they never get rescued. Far more interesting that way, I think.
                  Spinning the ratings? How so? The near 50% increace in DVR viewers?
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Easy now. You're usually one of the optimistic voices I like to read that help me feel a bit more positive about a show when it's getting a bit iffy for me.
                    I am very optimistic that the 2nd half will be better than the first.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                      I just don't have the same excitement as I once did when SGA and even when SG-1 was airing or between seasons.

They are spinning the ratings so much, it is sickening.
                      You make it sound like its something new.
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

[time loop] Spinning the ratings? How so. [/time looop]
                        sigpic
                        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          You make it sound like its something new.
                          I just don't like them dragging SGA through the mud.
                          sigpic

Comment

There's really nothing to get excited about at this point beyond how Rush will get back on the ship. I'm hoping alien abduction and probing. I'm certainly not interested in how Young and his wifey and Telford resolve their situation or in Scott and his kid. I'm actually hoping they never get rescued. Far more interesting that way, I think.
                            I'm with you on the "no rescue". I'd like to think that the "Destiny" is a one way trip, it doesn't go back to where it has already been. Hence the large ship with enough rooms etc... for a traveling colony.

I'd like to think that some of the Ancients were true explorers. The ship was built to explore the universe-as never ending as it is. These "wrong people" are now space travelers, the ship stops for resources. Of course I'd like more space and planets, but I'm a Trek fan too.

I like the show, it's been slow to start but I'll still watch.
                            SGU fangirl

Comment

Stargate has always been dragged through the mud so I'm used to it
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                Stargate has always been dragged through the mud so I'm used to it
                                you must be talking about EW.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X