This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
    However they rework it, SOMEONE is going to be unhappy... those of us who want less drama/angst vs those who like it as it is. I admit I am interested to see if they will actually improve it or simply tweak it here and there. I want to like sgu... maybe I will in season 2.

girlbot-- the soap parts didn't work for me. I wanted to get to know and care about the characters BEFORE i was inundated with their sleezey angsty backgrounds!
    Youre a great speaker, ma'am.
    SGU is like trying to pick up a girl to take home to mother in strip joint.
    What "they" called exposition was like being introduced to someone by them telling you what happened to them 15 minutes ago....

You're left wondering "why should I care?"

I've had co-workers come up to me and tell me what they "DID" over the weekend. and I've had to tell them in a very firm way...I don't wanna know that you're cheating wife...

Most stories will intro characters (main) by grounding you in the here and now.
    Most stories get to the point...they have something to say. I can't help but feel that this show's first season was...voyeurism.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
    I certainly hope not.

No sense in going backwards.
    The show is backwards or inverted.
    Rather than an over abundance of meaningless action it's meaningles character development.

I guarantee you by the end of the next season I'll be able to show you at least 2 or 3 hours of meaningless character development.

And if the story really is character driven it will be even worse that they gave you filler character dissertations that lead to nothing...

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    I doubt it. Their are some who will hate the show no matter what is done just like as you put their are some who squee no matter the direction it takes
    Sir, if the story doesn't take a radical change...
    If they ignore the fans...like they ignored the fans on SGA and SG-1 then the show will be canceled.

it's as simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
      I had no problem with the 'lovelorn' stuff in SG-1. [What does OOC mean? Sorry.] I prefer 'lovelorn' to 'humping in broom closets' and 'humping my wife in my not-friend's body'.
      I used Rush and Greer to show that, as I believe, the Earth-based episodes and flashbacks aren't necessary to explore and let us get to 'know' characters.
      I don't mind the sex, the closet humping, Parks reading, I find that realistic to a degree. What I do mind is that it apparently took three/four episodes for Scott to be the person Chloe understood/felt that she knew more than anyone else in life. TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fast, and IMO that was OOC (character and context). Her father died, and that's what she's focusing on? Um, OK...SG1's development in that area was much better. And while I hated Young's rape of Telford's body, if used correctly, I think that could be very interesting...if explored. The moral implications, the commentary on society's norms with regards to sex and men, could be interesting.

OOC could be "out of character" or "out of context."

Comment

Thanks.
        I think 'sex as stress relief' is quite realistic in the situation aboard the Destiny. Heck, people were probably being rabbits all over those 'unexplored' areas of Atlantis for all we know, too. Scott liking the ladies could have been accomplished minus the baby mama drama. A few of those scenes a la Park's reading across the Destiny would flesh that right out. So to speak. It was Young/Telford and Wray/female soldier that are a bit much for me.
        As for Chloe... The poor thing's just starting to grow emotionally. See who she used to hang with and who she used to be? In this situation [trapped with not nice people and with her father's dead body perfectly preserved next door], Scott is her life raft [for now] and she'll never let go, Jack! She'll never let go! At least until she grows more into the confident woman she's shown signs of being able to become and doesn't need him anymore.
        Last edited by nx01a; 25 December 2009, 03:42 PM.
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Thanks.
          I think 'sex as stress relief' is quite realistic in the situation aboard the Destiny. Heck, people were probably being rabbits all over those 'unexplored' areas of Atlantis for all we know, too. Scott liking the ladies could have been accomplished minus the baby mama drama. A few of those scenes a la park's reading would flesh that right out. So to speak. It was Scott/Telford and Wray/female soldier that are a bit much for me.
          As for Chloe... The poor thing's just starting to grow emotionally. See who she used to hang with and who she used to be? In this situation [trapped with not nice people and with her father's dead body perfectly preserved next door], Scott is her life raft [for now] and she'll never let go, jack! She'll never let go!
          To be honest, I usually use Chloe scenes to go make a snack...LOL! Ehh, the excuse that she lead a superficial life prior to Destiny, doesn't fly with me at all, and I don't think it fits. They either should have slowed down the Chloe/Scott relationship, made Scott/James an actual couple (which could have been interesting now that James is under Scott's command, no pun intended), and/or the love scenes should have been edited/portrayed as a comfort/sex scene rather than a love scene. And as much as I hate the Earth-based scenes/drama, I didn't mind Scott's baby mama story (though I still can't stand him), and I like Wray with her "wife," those Earth-scenes actually made sense and added to those characters, and added perspective on their situation. I mean, prior to that episode, Scott had NO reason to get back home, he had nobody to go back to, and Camille/Sharon's relationship is just beautiful and tragic.

Comment

The relationship is fine, the implied lesbian body-swapping sex in a soldier's body isn't.
            I would love the moral implications of their actions to be brought up at some point, not to mention Young's wifey being pregnant for Telford. If we're gonna play for drama, why not?
            Dang, I keep typing Scott when I meant Young. Grr.
            sigpic
            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

The relationship is fine, the implied lesbian body-swapping sex in a soldier's body isn't.
              I would love the moral implications of their actions to be brought up at some point, not to mention Young's wifey being pregnant for Telford. If we're gonna play for drama, why not?
              Dang, I keep typing Scott when I meant Young. Grr.
              Implied lesbien body swap sex? When did this happen?
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Well considering all the other sex scenes have been far more explicit (consisted of more than just 3 kisses) and because of the way the actor for Sharon showed her lack of comfort when Camille could not see her face, I don't think that sex was involved (though, of course the writers could write whatever they want).

I do think/hope they bring up these moral questions from stone use into the series. Why else would they have Eli say something like "I wonder what their doing with our bodies," have the camera focus on Young, all in the episode that Young in Telford's body, sleeps with his estranged wife (and since we didn't see the actual lead up, I wouldn't be surprised if Young somehow used Mrs. Young's emotions against her).

Many people believe that Camille and Sharon had sex in Life, I am not among those people.

Comment

See how I said 'implied'? I usually think that sex is involved when separated lovers take a shower together, whether before, during or after the shower. Then again, maybe it was just the incident with Young/Telford and Young's wife that made me think people will just jump any body their loved ones are possessing at the moment.
                  Whether there was sex or not, Wray/soldier was still naked in the shower with Sharon, whether with or without body donor consent to such things... which is still tricky re: the US military's policy on homosexuals in the military. Definite implications for that female soldier... if tptb choose to explore that.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I also don't remember them taking a shower together? I remember Camlie taking a shower but never saw Sharon in there. Screencap?
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

No, only Wray took the shower.
                      ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Maybe it's just a case of wishful thinking?
                        Sig by Pandora's Box
                        sigpic

Comment

Very wishful.
                          You guys're right, she was alone. I've only seen the episode once and I think I inserted Sharon into the shower scene because the very next one has them in the bedroom kissing. And even the kissing might go above and beyond the call of duty for the body swapee. We still don't know what ground rules were set for the use of a host body, and I hope we find out soon.
                          sigpic
                          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by FromOutside View Post
                            Eli, Young and other men have much screen time that has nothing to do with their relationships including sex but shows their characters as persons, not just a random faces on board or on some planet doing whatever they do. They interact with other people and don't carry their relationships with them all the time. We get to know their other sides too.
                            SGU is a wee bit Sexist. I concur.

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                            I won't refute the whole thing, because I'd swear to my keyboard that I've seen the entire post before. It starts out like, "Oh, I watched SG-1 and Atlantis", then continues on, "And SGU is disappointing/not what I had hoped/not impressed". It definitely uses the word "whine" and maybe "soap opera" if the poster is feeling up to it. There's *****ing about the fact the characters aren't best friends yet. Chloe and Scott are almost always brought up as a negative factor, even if not named directly. The stones are poo-poohed on. Always makes a witty remark about BSG or Days Of Our Lives. Mentions of writers "dropping the ball" or something similar. Disbelief that SGU is a third SG-1 or SGA. Denial that SGU is part of the Stargate universe now.

Oh, and it'll end with "This is my opinion" blegh, as if they know that posts refuting their entirely original outings will be written...

This is good observation.
                            I like observation but what did you gather from it?
                            Are you just sick and tired of hearing the same spiel over and over again?

I don't focus on the polarity of the opinions but I do focus on the power the volume and the consistence of the voices. To me it says people will watch but there is not a lot to like.

Some will like what ever you put up.
                            Others won't like anything....

Comment

Those SG-1 'lovelorn' moments weren't compressed into the span of 10 episodes.
                              No, they were compressed into 3 episodes (Upgrade, Crossroads, and Divide and Conquer) and later, 1 episode (Threads).

Originally posted by natyanayaki View Post
                              What I do mind is that it apparently took three/four episodes for Scott to be the person Chloe understood/felt that she knew more than anyone else in life. TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fast, and IMO that was OOC (character and context). Her father died, and that's what she's focusing on?
                              Actually, she said she felt "closer to [him] in these past few days than I have ever felt to anybody" - a subtle but important difference; they may not know each other that well, but they do feel close to each other. As we saw later in Earth, this is entirely understandable since everyone else just use her status as a Senator's daughter. We also saw how shallow her former life was.

Scott and Chloe provided comfort for each other in a time of great stress, i.e. after her dad died, which is something Chloe remarked upon in "Life". It's not like they were suddenly engaged in some epic love affair.

To be honest, I felt their development was too quick as well when Light aired, but I changed my mind when I saw Earth and Life; it added a great deal of depth to their relationship, IMHO.

Comment

See how I said 'implied'? I usually think that sex is involved when separated lovers take a shower together, whether before, during or after the shower. Then again, maybe it was just the incident with Young/Telford and Young's wife that made me think people will just jump any body their loved ones are possessing at the moment.
                                Whether there was sex or not, Wray/soldier was still naked in the shower with Sharon, whether with or without body donor consent to such things... which is still tricky re: the US military's policy on homosexuals in the military. Definite implications for that female soldier... if tptb choose to explore that.
                                Camille wasn't naked in the shower with Sharon, she was ALONE in the shower, and as I said already, when Camille wasn't looking Sharon (the actor who plays her) changed her expression from comfort and happiness, to obvious discomfort, especially in the scene that Wray said "This feels right" when snuggling with Sharon.

And even the kissing might go above and beyond the call of duty for the body swapee.
                                I think for the purpose of the show, they'll let "kissing" be OK, but nothing more...I don't know for sure, but that's just the feeling I get. But I hope they explore the ground-rules, and how to improve them, or what the ground rules should be if they don't have them.

Actually, she said she felt "closer to [him] in these past few days than I have ever felt to anybody" - a subtle but important difference; they may not know each other that well, but they do feel close to each other.
                                I understand that that may be an important difference to someone, but not to me...I just don't buy that closeness. If she had said that to Eli, I would have bought it, and I'm not biased towards Eli, I just felt the development for those to characters, a mutual understanding as the newest-bies.

To be honest, I felt their development was too quick as well when Light aired, but I changed my mind when I saw Earth and Life; it added a great deal of depth to their relationship, IMHO.
                                I would agree about Life, if Chloe hadn't discussed Scott's problem with Eli, I understand that she wanted support from her friend, but I disagree with her judgment, considering Eli tends to talk too much, and considering there are only 80 (or less?) people aboard the Destiny. Anyway I don't want to focus too much on Chloe, since I'm not a Chloe fan .

What do you guys think of the secondary characters? TBH, I find them far more compelling than I do the majority of 9 primary characters.

Comment

Working...
                                X